PDA

View Full Version : Border War: Top five story lines

KcMizzou
11-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Border War: Top five story lines

FIVE TOP STORY LINES
1 Stayin’ alive. At the beginning of this season, who would have thought this game would help decide the national championship? Kansas is slotted for the BCS title game if it wins its next two games, while Missouri will likely make it in with the same result. Saturday’s game will be the first this season pitting two top-three teams against each other. All eyes will be on Kansas City.

2 The quarterbacks. Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing have taken the Missouri and Kansas programs to a new level in a very short amount of time. The winner gets a chance to dream of a national championship for one more week and is likely assured of a ticket to New York City’s Downtown Athletic Club for the Heisman Trophy presentation on the second Saturday in December.

3 Which defense will seize the moment? All we’ve heard about all week is the explosive offenses each team will feature. The defenses aren’t too shabby either, but they certainly will have a tough task ahead of them. This game will come down to which defense can make the most plays, force the most turnovers and put the most pressure on the quarterback. The offenses, without a doubt, will get theirs.

4 Will the fans play nice? Expect a classy game from the players, but what about you? Are you going to lose your cool and forget — somewhere between beer five and beer six — that this is only a football game played by college students? Who knows what the percentage breakdown will be between KU fans and MU fans at Arrowhead, but let’s hope this truly doesn’t evolve into Armageddon.

5 Who will Lee Corso pick? For the first time ever, the ESPN “College Gameday” crew will broadcast from a Kansas or Missouri game. That means that just before 11 a.m., Corso will have to make his prediction, which will undoubtedly make one state happy and leave the other firing mad. Will he put on the mask of Truman the Tiger or Big Jay? Stay tuned.

FIVE PLAYER MATCHUPS
1 MU nose guard Lorenzo Williams vs. KU center Ryan Cantrell: Key to protecting quarterback Todd Reesing is keeping Williams and his front-line teammates out of the Jayhawks’ backfield. William has five sacks and eight tackles for losses. Missouri has 25 sacks in 11 games and 18 of those have come from the four defensive-line starters.

2 KU offensive left tackle Anthony Collins vs. MU defensive ends Stryker Sulak or Tommy Chavis: Collins is key in two areas. Protection in the passing game and opening holes for the running game. He’s even more key because — although Collins is likely to earn All-America honors — he didn’t play last week with an undisclosed injury. He’s supposed to play on Saturday against MU. He needs to for Kansas to be at its best.

3 KU quarterback Todd Reesing vs. MU safety William Moore: Reesing has been great at completing passes only to players in crimson and blue. He has thrown only four interceptions in 360 pass attempts. But Moore, especially since a ruptured Achilles’ ended fellow safety Pig Brown’s season, has owned the passing lanes. Moore leads the Big 12 with six interceptions, has one each in the last three games and is only one short of tying All-American Roger Wehrli’s school-record seven picks set in 1968.

4 MU tight ends Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman vs. the entire KU defensive secondary. No one player has been able to take down either of Missouri’s rough-and-tumble tight ends. And no single Jayhawk likely will, especially Rucker. The senior leads MU with a tight-end record 70 catches for seven touchdowns with a 10-yard average per catch. Coffman has 49 catches for seven touchdowns and an average per-catch figure of 10.4

5 MU quarterback Chase Daniel vs. KU defensive tackle James McClinton. McClinton has 10.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He doesn’t have to sack Daniel, but if McClinton doesn’t get into the backfield and apply pressure, Daniel will pick apart the KU defense with pinpoint passes just as he has done to every other MU opponent this season. McClinton is a Lombardi Award candidate. Daniel is a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Five reasons KU will win

1 Coaching. Kansas coach Mark Mangino has excelled all season at keeping his players’ minds off of Missouri, and he’ll be equally successful at keeping his team focused on the Tigers this week. Offensive coordinator Ed Warinner and defensive coordinator Bill Young appear up to the task of making the right calls.

2 Todd Reesing. Watch: The Tigers will take the lead at some point in the game, and KU will score a touchdown to tie or take the lead within three minutes. Reesing’s ability to respond has been the hallmark of this KU offense.

3 Marcus Herford. Missouri will score its share of points on Saturday. Know what that means? More kickoff returns for Herford, the Big 12’s top kick returner, averaging more than 30 ypr.

4 Where’s the Pig? Missouri safety Pig Brown was headed toward an All-America caliber season when he went down with an injury. The Tigers have fared well without him, but they haven’t faced a team of Kansas’ caliber.

5 James McClinton. The guy has a motor like you wouldn’t believe, and he’ll have plenty saved up for Missouri. He’ll stuff the Missouri run game and force the Tigers to beat KU with the pass.

Five reasons MU will win

1 Weapons. No team in the country can cover five receivers consistently, particularly when two of those receivers are at times Mackey Award semifinalists Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman.

2 Not surprised. You’ve got one team that seems pretty “Golly-gee-whiz pretty happy to be here” in Kansas and you’ve got a Missouri team that planned on it.

3 Schedules. The Missouri schedule really has prepared the Tigers for battle better than a steady diet of puff pastries. Illinois is better than any nonconference opponent Kansas has played. Oklahoma and Texas Tech are better than KU’s South Division opponents Oklahoma State and Baylor. The one South foe the two teams have in common, MU beat Texas A&M 40-26 while Kansas edged the Aggies 19-11.

4 Penalties. While Kansas and Missouri have each been called for a league-low 29 penalties in Big 12 games, the Tigers’ opponents have been called for 56 penalties to only 38 for KU foes. The reason? Missouri’s fast-ball offense puts defenses under more pressure.

5 Guts. Missouri will pull out all the stops; that’s how the Tigers have played all season. And that’s what it will take to win.

KcMizzou
11-23-2007, 03:52 AM
2 Not surprised. You’ve got one team that seems pretty “Golly-gee-whiz pretty happy to be here” in Kansas and you’ve got a Missouri team that planned on it.

5 Guts. Missouri will pull out all the stops; that’s how the Tigers have played all season. And that’s what it will take to win.That's why I think Mizzou will win.

Mr. Plow
11-23-2007, 08:18 AM
If any Jayhawk fan told you at the beginning of the year they planned on being where we are now - they were lying.

Lzen
11-23-2007, 08:42 AM
If any Jayhawk fan told you at the beginning of the year they planned on being where we are now - they were lying.

No Jayhawk fan in his right mind would. But I have heard the players talk like they expected this. Yeah, I know players tend to talk with a lot of confidence. But I think they truly believe that they have been right there on the cusp of being a really good team for the past few years.

Lzen
11-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Five reasons MU will win

That was stupid. Who wrote this part? Some MUron? Golly gee whiz? :shake:

3 Schedules. The Missouri schedule really has prepared the Tigers for battle better than a steady diet of puff pastries. Illinois is better than any nonconference opponent Kansas has played. Oklahoma and Texas Tech are better than KU’s South Division opponents Oklahoma State and Baylor. The one South foe the two teams have in common, MU beat Texas A&M 40-26 while Kansas edged the Aggies 19-11.

That was partly stupid. Yeah, I'll give you OU is better than any of KU's South opponents. But OSU is better than Tech. If they could ever figure out how to finish a game, they would be extremely dangerous. Tech is very inconsistent. Example of that would be beating OU last week but laying an egg at MU. And comparing KU's game at aTm when they were still 6-2 and leading the South to a few weeks later at MU is dumb. Last I checked, KU was leading that game 19-0 in the 4th quarter, not to mention they should have had about 3 more FGs (normally steady kicker has struggled at times this season). They were in complete control of the game in the 4th quarter in a hostile environment. Anyone who saw the game knows that it was never really in doubt. The only reason aTm even made a game of it is that KU went to prevent defense way too soon.

4 Penalties. While Kansas and Missouri have each been called for a league-low 29 penalties in Big 12 games, the Tigers’ opponents have been called for 56 penalties to only 38 for KU foes. The reason? Missouri’s fast-ball offense puts defenses under more pressure.

I think this is not a solid argument. But I guess we will see come Saturday.

5 Guts. Missouri will pull out all the stops; that’s how the Tigers have played all season. And that’s what it will take to win.
What the Hell does this even mean? That is pretty vague.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
11-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Im a Mu fan but man im so excited for both teams. I think whoever loses those fans should support the winning team. Let's face it, in the eyes of the nation. Kansas and Missouri aren't good enough. I hope whoever wins reps the Big 12 by kicking the crap out of LSU. Because I bet you they think they have a easy win versus any of these teams.

wilas101
11-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Im a Mu fan but man im so excited for both teams. I think whoever loses those fans should support the winning team. Let's face it, in the eyes of the nation. Kansas and Missouri aren't good enough. I hope whoever wins reps the Big 12 by kicking the crap out of LSU. Because I bet you they think they have a easy win versus any of these teams.

I was starting to think I might be the only MU fan that thought that.

I'm rooting for MU saturday but should Kansas pull it out they get my support going forward. It's certainly better than rooting for Oklahoma, LSU, or Ohio State.

ROYC75
11-23-2007, 09:14 AM

That would be sweet, But playing LSU in Nawlins is so damn close to Baton Rouge, it's a damn Home game for LSU.

BTW, why does Nawlins get 2 BCS games in a weeks time ? The Sugar Bowl and the NC game.

jidar
11-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Border War: Top five story lines

What? I'm not sure I see it that way.

Does anyone else think this stat might be in favor of KU since you could make the argument that a lot of MU opponents are beating themselves?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-23-2007, 10:32 AM
That would be sweet, But playing LSU in Nawlins is so damn close to Baton Rouge, it's a damn Home game for LSU.

BTW, why does Nawlins get 2 BCS games in a weeks time ? The Sugar Bowl and the NC game.

Its the new setup for the BCS when they added the extra game. All the bowls stay intact, they just rotate the championship game like before, they just don't call it the Sugar Bowl for the BCS title anymore. Now it is just the Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc.....

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 10:36 AM
That was stupid. Who wrote this part? Some MUron? Golly gee whiz? :shake:

That was partly stupid. Yeah, I'll give you OU is better than any of KU's South opponents. But OSU is better than Tech. If they could ever figure out how to finish a game, they would be extremely dangerous. Tech is very inconsistent. Example of that would be beating OU last week but laying an egg at MU. And comparing KU's game at aTm when they were still 6-2 and leading the South to a few weeks later at MU is dumb. Last I checked, KU was leading that game 19-0 in the 4th quarter, not to mention they should have had about 3 more FGs (normally steady kicker has struggled at times this season). They were in complete control of the game in the 4th quarter in a hostile environment. Anyone who saw the game knows that it was never really in doubt. The only reason aTm even made a game of it is that KU went to prevent defense way too soon.

I think this is not a solid argument. But I guess we will see come Saturday.

What the Hell does this even mean? That is pretty vague.
So the take is everything that seems to be in missouri's "advantage" is stupid.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 10:42 AM
or that missiouri is just stupid

if their fans are any example......

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
or that missiouri is just stupid

if their fans are any example......
Riight and if they said the exact same of kansas in this article you would think its stupid as well?

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Riight and if they said the exact same of kansas in this article you would think its stupid as well?
didn't read the article ....... i'm just randomly lashing out at MUron i can find. :p

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
didn't read the article ....... i'm just randomly lashing out at MUron i can find. :p
ya bastard! I am excited and a bit nervous about this game, honestly. So much BS to be taken from the other teams fans, the board will implode after the game hehe.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 10:52 AM
ya bastard! I am excited and a bit nervous about this game, honestly. So much BS to be taken from the other teams fans, the board will implode after the game hehe.
i think everyone is nervous/excited

For all the smack talk, nobody can really sure about who is gonna win ..... it's just too close to call.

NUMBER7
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice post KCMizzou. Like you have stated let the players decide this on the field.

evolve27
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Nice post.

Lzen
11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
That's not what I said. Read it again.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 12:36 PM
That's not what I said. Read it again.
I know, im just being facesious (cant spell it)

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I know, im just being facesious (cant spell it)
MUron

ROFL :)

Sure-Oz
11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
MUron

ROFL :)
Google is my friend

facetious :harumph:

KcMizzou
11-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Does anyone else think this stat might be in favor of KU since you could make the argument that a lot of MU opponents are beating themselves?No.

Mizzou opponents commit more penalties because they're going up against NFL quality players in Rucker, Coffman, and Maclin.

When you can't cover 'em, you foul 'em....

Thig Lyfe
11-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Google is my friend

Aren't Missouri diplomas printed directly from Google Images?

TJR1486
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Does anyone else think this stat might be in favor of KU since you could make the argument that a lot of MU opponents are beating themselves?

i was thinking the same thing

Mr. Laz
11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Google is my friend

i'm glad you have A friend then

:moon: