PDA

View Full Version : If our kicker is THAT terrible, then Herm did the right thing...

jAZ
11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Is our kicker so shitty that when faced with 4th & 1 on the 23 yard line and down 3 we have to go for the 1st down?

If so, then challenging the spot and taking a TO before to review things is just fine. In fact it's the right thing to do.

Not having a TO at the end meant nothing to this loss.

Not having a kicker who can be counted on to kick a 40 yard field goal at better odds than going for it on 4th and 1 is the problem in that situation.

Thank Carl for passing on a great kicker to take a UCLA scrub.

kcpasco
11-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't blame Herm for going for it

But wtf did he blow 2 timeouts for?

Deberg_1990
11-25-2007, 03:31 PM
If hes so terrible, then why wasnt he cut after last weeks game?

Delano
11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
The argument is that Herm could have called a challenge first and made the decision in that time, rather than blowing a second timeout.

chief52
11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
I have no problem at all with his decision to go for it. You gotta be able to pick up one yard. But his use of the timeouts was a total disaster. AND WHO IN THE HELL THOUGHT THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE SPOT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

Total incompetence... :banghead:

Rain Man
11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
I honestly don't blame him for going for it on fourth down. I would've been fine with either decision. I don't know what has happened to Rayner in the past few weeks, after such a promising start.

However, I was aghast that we didn't call a timeout on the play where the Raiders had the ball with 2:40 left and ran it all the way down to the 2:00 minute mark. Why couldn't anyone on our sideline see what was obvious and call a timeout? It was extraordinary mismanagement. Not that it mattered since our defense got completely dominated, but still, it should've happened just out of protocol.

Thig Lyfe
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Cuz he's a f*cking idiot. Going for it was the right decision, but calling a timeout, making a pointless challenge and running up the middle when EVERYBODY IN THE F*CKING WORLD knew they were going to run up the middle was one of the worst coaching sequences ever.

Thig Lyfe
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
If hes so terrible, then why wasnt he cut after last weeks game?

He's white.

xbarretx
11-25-2007, 03:38 PM
i dont blame Herm. flame me all you want, i blame poor OC playcalling. 4th and 1 they have everyone on the line, and they run the play into a pile....a quick slant would have meant 1st if not TD.

and yes we are plagued by bad kickers still damm you Nick Lowery (bad spelling) for leaving!

Brodie did decent...he wasnt perfect but he made good throws ... scrambled good...and for the most past did what was needed.

sorry guys i blame Solari and the defense on this one!

GRats Defense...you laid another egg :clap: :shake:

Eleazar
11-25-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't have any problem going for it there, needing only 1 yard when our running back is playing well. It was just retarded to challenge a call that you weren't going to win, and worse was wasting a time out to debate on whether you would waste another time out.

TEX
11-25-2007, 03:40 PM

That's his M O...

TEX
11-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't have any problem going for it there, needing only 1 yard when our running back is playing well. It was just retarded to challenge a call that you weren't going to win, and worse was wasting a time out to debate on whether you would waste another time out.

Exactly. The good coaches don't do that. Herm's not good and he's always been a poor clock manager so...

Thig Lyfe
11-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Good decision to go for it. Bad decision to run it up the middle when the RB is playing well. Everybody on D was keying in on Kolby. They should have done a play action bootleg and allow Croyle to utilize his athleticism.

nomad
11-25-2007, 03:44 PM
You touched on it.

Carl releases a kicker, drafts a kicker, releases the kicker and signgs another kicker who is a failure.

Carl signs hall of fame tackle, when hall of fame guard and tackle retire Carl is un-prepard because he hasn't drafted OL in years. He's been too busy drafting DT flops.

Carl doesn't draft or develop a young QB for 15+ years.

Todays game comes down to a missed field goal.... or the offesnive line not able to get their 150yd RB 1 yard, or DL not being able to stop the opponnent at the end of the game when you know a run is coming.

Or, you have hired a head coach based on friendships, just like you did with Marty, Gunther, Vermiel and now Edwards, and not for their job acumen.

Fans can pick apart little reasons why a game is lost, when they need to focus on why this organization has become a competitive failure.

Carl Peterson is why.

Eleazar
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Good decision to go for it. Bad decision to run it up the middle when the RB is playing well. Everybody on D was keying in on Kolby. They should have done a play action bootleg and allow Croyle to utilize his athleticism.

It was obvious to everyone on earth why they were going for it - because we were running the ball well - and so it was obvious with a cursory knowledge of Herm and company that we were going to run straight ahead.

A little imagination might have worked. A WR screen, a play-action pass, a draw play. We did the one thing that it was obvious they were going to be looking for.

aturnis
11-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I think running was a bad decision. A quick pass to Gonzo or someone on the slant or even Herm and Solari's favorite play...throw to Bowe behind the line of scrimmage. I was praying they wouldn't run. Kolby doesn't seem like that kind of guy. He's not Johnson, he's not powerful, he's quick, he's shifty and he comes off of contact well, but he cannot power himself for the extra yard. Herm blew it.

CupidStunt
11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
People find it easier to blame Herm than accept the players failed, mostly because they suck. Oakland's DL just RAPED KC's OL.

The two timeout deal was awful, but that was it. Outside of that, the players lost it completely.

Thig Lyfe
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
People find it easier to blame Herm than accept the players failed, mostly because they suck. Oakland's DL just RAPED KC's OL.

The two timeout deal was awful, but that was it. Outside of that, the players lost it completely.

Which makes Kolby's performance that much more impressive. He's the next Barry Sanders.

xbarretx
11-25-2007, 04:00 PM
You touched on it.

Carl releases a kicker, drafts a kicker, releases the kicker and signgs another kicker who is a failure.

Carl signs hall of fame tackle, when hall of fame guard and tackle retire Carl is un-prepard because he hasn't drafted OL in years. He's been too busy drafting DT flops.

Carl doesn't draft or develop a young QB for 15+ years.

Todays game comes down to a missed field goal.... or the offesnive line not able to get their 150yd RB 1 yard, or DL not being able to stop the opponnent at the end of the game when you know a run is coming.

Or, you have hired a head coach based on friendships, just like you did with Marty, Gunther, Vermiel and now Edwards, and not for their job acumen.

Fans can pick apart little reasons why a game is lost, when they need to focus on why this organization has become a competitive failure.

Carl Peterson is why.

works for me...pack it and ship it out

Rain Man
11-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Carl Peterson is why.

Yep. There hasn't been a talent infusion in our coaching in decades. It's like the Hapsburg Dynasty, but with more inbreeding.

This team will never be successful with Carl Peterson in charge. He doesn't have a killer instinct. In the NFL world, other teams have lions and tigers and leopards, and Carl is an antelope fawn.