PDA

View Full Version : Level of Frustration?

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay, I didn't get to watch the game, but it seems clear that the level of frustration is relatively high (fire him, unacceptable, etc.). Frustration's great, but has it reached a level which will cause you to act?

Season ticket holders? Will you stop attending games?

Non-season ticket holders? Will you eat the cost of the tickets in order to not attend?

And no TV for you above people.

Has it reached that point?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Reerun_KC
11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
No Sunday Ticket next year....

HonestChieffan
11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Thats the gist of my post regarding oldtimers...

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
No Sunday Ticket next year....

Does the Chiefs organization get any revenue from Sunday Ticket subscribers?

el borracho
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I've never been a season ticket holder and I don't really buy merchandise so no change there. I do try to jouney to games about once a year and I'm definitely less inclined to do that (although not absolutely against it). I still watch the games on tv when I can, although I am not as commited to it (I've seen all but 1 game this year).

luv
While I'm not aseason ticket holder, if I was, I would not stop attending games. There's something about packing up the night before, leaving out early the next morning to caravan, tailgating with friends and meeting new people, and just watching football in person. We may be losing, but, as someone who's still trying to learn, I love going and watching.

dirk digler

Oh hell yeah they all get a share.

I will probably won't be doing the Sunday Ticket package either. Not worth it.

Reerun_KC
11-26-2007, 12:19 PM

I think it is considered part of the TV money they get....

suds79
11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I'm not a season ticket holder so Carl & company probably don't care to much about my opinion but...

I'm only frustrated by Herm's poor clock management. I really think they need to bring in a clock management coach. I mean why not? The coach has other coaches & players in his ear during the game. I'm sure it's crazy. So why not delegate that important task?

Other than that? I'm not really frustrated. We all knew the Chiefs would stink. And they do. We're starting a new QB so why are we surprised? This is part of the process when you rebuild and it seems like a lot of fans want us to fire our HC after one bad season when he went the playoffs the year before.... I guess I just don't get it.

BigRedChief
11-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Not a real question for this time of the year. You always have tons of people saying they are not going to renew their tickets. But when it comes crunch time they renew.

luv
11-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Living so close to KC, don't local stations carry the games?

dirk digler
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Living so close to KC, don't local stations carry the games?

Yeah but I like to watch the other games as well. It is just become to expensive to keep it.

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
While I'm not aseason ticket holder, if I was, I would not stop attending games. There's something about packing up the night before, leaving out early the next morning to caravan, tailgating with friends and meeting new people, and just watching football in person. We may be losing, but, as someone who's still trying to learn, I love going and watching.

So no level of frustration would stop you from attending?

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Not certain. But I'd guess, yes.

BigRedChief
11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I sold my tickets to the Packers, Raiders and Chargers games. I'm seeing if I can really stay away from Arrowhead on game day.

The Packers game was hard.

Yesterday was a piece of cake.

Still TBD.

FAX
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I have burned my official Chiefs boxers.

But, they needed it anyway.

FAX

Archie Bunker
My interest level is at an all-time low. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated just indifferent. I still watch the games on TV to see how the young guys do but I don't get excited when they win or depressed when they lose.

I just don't seem to care anymore.

luv
So no level of frustration would stop you from attending?
Well, to be honest, I'm not paying for the games I go to, so I can't be 100% for sure. I really think the only way I would stop going, if I did have to pay for them, would be if those people I enjoy tailgating with stopped going as well. That, and I'm one who would love to stay that I stuck it out once we get good again. I'm stubborn like that.

King_Chief_Fan
11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Other than that? I'm not really frustrated. We all knew the Chiefs would stink. And they do. We're starting a new QB so why are we surprised? This is part of the process when you rebuild and it seems like a lot of fans want us to fire our HC after one bad season when he went the playoffs the year before.... I guess I just don't get it.

They didn't start a new QB at the begining. Horrid played for 9 games. don't blame the shitty season on the new QB. Blame if on the coach where it belongs.

HonestChieffan
11-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I have to go in with Luv on this...regardless of the product on the field, the tailgating has become such a part of our social world we would likely still have that to look forward to

StcChief
11-26-2007, 12:28 PM
losing it fast. rebuilding mode, hoping no one get's hurt in the process.

some of the guys are/will be 'Just going thru the motions' on Sundays now.

King_Chief_Fan
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
I have to go in with Luv on this...regardless of the product on the field, the tailgating has become such a part of our social world we would likely still have that to look forward to

you can still go do the tail gating thing. As the blimp sails over, sees the parking lot full of tail gaters and no one in the stands would send a great message I think. Especially if picket signs etc were used.

gblowfish
My family has had season tickets since 1965. My dad is retired now, and I took over the family tickets from him. We paid for many years of lousy football, basically 1972 to 1987. So supporting the team in bad times is not new to my family.

The cost to do so has become more of a burden now in my day than in my dad's day. Back in the 1970's buying a season ticket was not a major expenditure, even when you compare 1970's dollars to today's dollar. It didn't take as big of a bite.

My tickets/parking run in excess of $3,000 a year. That's what I spend my "entertainment dollars' on each year. I give almost all of it to the Chiefs, some to the Royals, although I don't have Royals season tickets.

The tickets have become a commodity. And since I have excellent seats, I would continue to buy them, even if I end up dealing them off in years to come. That's one of the sad things about modern sports; money is in the equation so much, that Chiefs tickets have become a commodity, pure and simple.

So I'll continue to buy my seats, whether I end up using them or not.
They're too valuable of an economic resource to turn loose.

Reerun_KC
This is part of the process when you rebuild and it seems like a lot of fans want us to fire our HC after one bad season when he went the playoffs the year before.... I guess I just don't get it.

dont bring that embarrasing playoff game back up... We had no business what so ever playing that game and we proved it with our play...

Herm should of never been hired... Him running the Jets into the ground was proof enough....

dirk digler
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
My interest level is at an all-time low. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated just indifferent. I still watch the games on TV to see how the young guys do but I don't get excited when they win or depressed when they lose.

I just don't seem to care anymore.

Yep that is me as well. I don't care if they win or lose in fact I found it humorous yesterday that they lost.

Dartgod
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm about ready to give up my season tickets. I'll wait and make a decision in the off-season, but after yesterday I'm thinking of making a statement that I will no longer support the bonehead that is running this franchise into the ground.

It's time for new blood.

Katie
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I'll never stop watching or going to my token one game per year. Win or lose, there are players on this team who deserve our support.

Do I still have the passion I had in previous years? Not even close, but that won't keep me away.

The Bad Guy
11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
dont bring that embarrasing playoff game back up... We had no business what so ever playing that game and we proved it with our play...

Herm should of never been hired... Him running the Jets into the ground was proof enough....

Oh yeah, he really ran the Jets into the ground. You are such a ****ing douchebag.

Thankfully, you have me blocked so I can't punk your ass for the 100th time on this board.

KC Dan
11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Yep that is me as well. I don't care if they win or lose in fact I found it humorous yesterday that they lost.
I actually laughed with joy. That is a first for me. I was rooting for the donkeys to win so they would bury us deeper in the division but at the end of that game I sided with da bears. Couldn't quite maintain my burst. This is really disheartening.

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
So, if I'm reading these correctly, those of you who will continue to spend your (or other peoples') money to attend games ARE flustrated, but not enough for you to boycott games (i.e., an empty Arrowhead)? Some because you enjoy the social aspects (e.g., luv) and some because you want to support the players, yes?

Is that an accurate assessment?

bobbything
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I think people are already starting to stay away. I don't care how many people the Chiefs SAY were there yesterday, that stadium was as empty as I have seen it in a long time.

The day Herm Edwards was hired is the same day I decided not to renew my season tickets. I'm not a huge Vermeil guy, but with him, I always felt there was hope. Probably because he's won a Superbowl and we weren't too far removed from the 13-3 season.

Thus far, it was the best economic decision I could have made. Not only is this team not very good, they're not much fun to watch; plus, the energy level at the games has dwindled.

Doesn't mean I won't watch from home though.

luv
11-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I'll never stop watching or going to my token one game per year. Win or lose, there are players on this team who deserve our support.

Do I still have the passion I had in previous years? Not even close, but that won't keep me away.
So true. I heard some comments from Tony after the game. He said that he may not like every play that is called, but he performs them to the best of his ability. He's open about his thoughts towrds the coaching, as well as how the players are performing. How could you not want to support someone like that!

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Doesn't mean I won't watch from home though.

That was my next question: does anyone have a breakdown of the revenue for the Chiefs? How much (%) is from ticket sales? How much from merchandising? How much from TV stuff? Other?

Does anyone know those figures?

luv
11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
So, if I'm reading these correctly, those of you who will continue to spend your (or other peoples') money to attend games ARE flustrated, but not enough for you to boycott games (i.e., an empty Arrowhead)? Some because you enjoy the social aspects (e.g., luv) and some because you want to support the players, yes?

Is that an accurate assessment?
I would say, based on the information, yes.

HemiEd

Things are going in opposite directions, the price is going up and the quality of football is going down.

It would take a lot to make me quit watching them, but they are getting close.
I have recorded three games this year for later viewing, no way could I do that prior to Herm.
I listened to the game on Sirius yesterday, while driving back to Chicagoland.
I drove right through KC about 11:30, without even the slightest consideration for attending the game.
Herm destroyed the offense in his first season, the home field advantage in his second.
I can't wait to see what he does next year.

2bikemike
As for me I am a Chiefs fan through and through. I can't simply say I am done watching this team. I don't live where I can attend games on a regular basis, I do watch them on TV in a sports bar or at home depending on the coverage.

I will watch next weeks game and probably be miserable the entire week. Especially since I have to deal with all the dumb ass Charger fans at work.

I guess thats the price you pay when your a Chiefs Fan. :banghead:

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
How could you not want to support someone like that!

Have you considered that the best support you can give the players is to use your economic clout to get them coaches that are retarted?

Dartgod
11-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Have you considered that the best support you can give the players is to use your economic clout to get them coaches that are retarted?
Ummmm, isn't that what we already have?

luv
11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Or to be at the games rooting them on. I think that an empty stadium would affect the players morale, enthusiasm, and motivation as well as the coaching staff/GM.

dirk digler
11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I actually laughed with joy. That is a first for me. I was rooting for the donkeys to win so they would bury us deeper in the division but at the end of that game I sided with da bears. Couldn't quite maintain my burst. This is really disheartening.

I didn't laugh but I had a small chuckle. I know some here will bash me for it but the way I look at it is that losing is the only way we can get rid of Herm and Carl.

KurtCobain
11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh yeah, he really ran the Jets into the ground. You are such a ****ing douchebag.

Yeah, 4-12 isn't into the ground....

I gave up my season ticks two years ago, not due to lack of interest, but due to lack of cash. However next year I hope to buy season ticks once again and hold on to them for a while. Always a Chiefs fan. Through the bad and eventually into the good.

BigRedChief
11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
That was my next question: does anyone have a breakdown of the revenue for the Chiefs? How much (%) is from ticket sales? How much from merchandising? How much from TV stuff? Other?

Does anyone know those figures?
If I remember correctly from a Clayton article last year is was.....

Ticket sales are 18% - 20% of the total revenue for the average NFL team.

Official Sponsors, exclusive deals (Direct TV etc) and the TV contracts work out to about 65% of their revenue.

Merchandising 10%

Vending and parking on game day 5%

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Ummmm, isn't that what we already have?

ROFL

Please add "'nt" to the relevant word. Sorry about that.

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Or to be at the games rooting them on. I think that an empty stadium would affect the players morale, enthusiasm, and motivation as well as the coaching staff/GM.

You are such a woman.

Chiefs_5627
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM

I gave up my season ticks two years ago, not due to lack of interest, but due to lack of cash. However next year I hope to buy season ticks once again and hold on to them for a while. Always a Chiefs fan. Through the bad and eventually into the good.

IMO there were MANY factors as to why they went 4 - 12. They lost 1st n 2nd string QBs within a handful of plays and Curtis Martin was done, just to name a couple. IMO take that away from any team and they will do poorly.

Donger
11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
If I remember correctly from a Clayton article last year is was.....

Ticket sales are 18% - 20% of the total revenue for the average NFL team.

Official Sponsors, exclusive deals (Direct TV etc) and the TV contracts work out to about 65% of their revenue.

Merchandising 10%

Vending and parking on game day 5%

That makes sense. I didn't think that ticket sales would be more than ~30%. And the organization already has the season ticket holders' money, but not the game day ticket money, yes?

If so, what is the ratio between season ticket holders and game day ticket buyers (if that's the correct term)?

ChiefsFan4Life
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM

Who gives a flying F ... I'll take the vet minimum and play in front of an empty stadium every day. Poooor athletes!!!!!!! They need our support!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Typical woman comment.

KurtCobain
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I think I'm a lucky one because I've never been to a Chiefs loss. Or a royals loss for that matter. This year I went @ SD and the the Bengals game. All together I've probably been to 15-20 Chiefs games, all wins. I went to every home game in 2003 except the Broncos game, which we won anyways. So maybe if I buy season ticks again next year, we'll go undefeated at home if I make every game. PLus I'll be going to the @SD game again next year.

tooge
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
I am a season ticket holder. Haven't missed a game since 2001. I am going to let the weather decide this next game. If it is nice enough, I am going golfing. If my tailgate crew all goes, I may go, we will have to see. I am really having a hard time deciding if I want them to lose the rest for a great top 5 pic in the draft, or win for the fans.

luv
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
You are such a woman.
You say that like it's a bad thing?

KurtCobain
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I always want them to win.

Donger
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing?

In most respects, no, not at all.

With respect to football, driving and voting, errrr, it sure can be.

Eleazar
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Who gives a flying F ... I'll take the vet minimum and play in front of an empty stadium every day. Poooor athletes!!!!!!! They need our support!!!!!!!!!

Typical woman comment.

ROFL Brutal, but true.

They are big boys. They get paid millions. They have already made more money at 25 or 30 than we'll make in our lifetimes.

They can handle a couple of boos or empty seats. They aren't 5 years old. If they don't like it they need to perform.

If we hurt their fwagile wittle feewings, they can dry their eyes with this week's $50,000 paycheck.

luv
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM

Typical woman comment.
If no one's in the stands, how are you getting paid? :p

greg63
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
A substantial drop in stadium attendance is the only thing that will get Clark Hunt's attention regarding Carl and Herm.

luv
11-26-2007, 01:09 PM
ROFL Brutal, but true.

They are big boys. They get paid millions. They have already made more money at 25 or 30 than we'll make in our lifetimes.

They can handle a couple of boos or empty seats. They aren't 5 years old. If they don't like it they need to perform.

If we hurt their fwagile wittle feewings, they can dry their eyes with this week's $50,000 paycheck.
I get your point, and I agree. I just love going to games. And arguing even when I'm wrong. :D

Donger
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
ROFL Brutal, but true.

Indeed. And I'm assuming that they get paid whether the stadium is empty or full?

It seems clear that the players are flustrated. Perhaps they would like to see the stadium empty?

It also seems clear that the way to force change is to exert some economic pressure. Signs are nice and all, but if you really are flustrated to the point of feeling pain/anger, give some back.

Quit being a junkie.

Chiefnj2
11-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't know why people are upset. All the young guys are getting a lot of playing time which is what everyone wanted.

bobbything
11-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know why people are upset. All the young guys are getting a lot of playing time which is what everyone wanted.
It's the losing due to game management. We haven't lost the last 2 games because we have young players. In the end, all of our young players may develop into Pro Bowlers; but our coaching will still blow ass.

Donger
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM

I don't think that many people are flustrated about the players. Well, maybe that Raynor knob.

Chiefnj2
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
It's the losing due to game management. We haven't lost the last 2 games because we have young players. In the end, all of our young players may develop into Pro Bowlers; but our coaching will still blow ass.

How did poor coaching lose the game yesterday?

luv
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Who made the call to try to run the ball when we were like 3rd and 15?

Calcountry
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, to be honest, I'm not paying for the games I go to, so I can't be 100% for sure. I really think the only way I would stop going, if I did have to pay for them, would be if those people I enjoy tailgating with stopped going as well. That, and I'm one who would love to stay that I stuck it out once we get good again. I'm stubborn like that.I have been sticking it out since 1971 loss to the Dolphins on Christmas.

Calcountry
11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I have been sticking it out since 1971 loss to the Dolphins on Christmas.I will up the anty here. 3 of the relatives that visited us that day have passed away. Scary. Maybe I will never see the Chiefs finish out the season like they were suppose to that year.

bobbything
11-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Argue with me if you wish, however, I said, at the time, that going for it on 4th down was a horrible move; with 4 minutes left to go. Not to mention losing a timeout on challenging the ball spot after they came out of a timeout.

Could have had all three timeouts to stop the clock even if Herm still decided to go for it, and subsequently not make it.

Chiefnj2
11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Argue with me if you wish, however, I said, at the time, that going for it on 4th down was a horrible move; with 4 minutes left to go. Not to mention losing a timeout on challenging the ball spot after they came out of a timeout.

Could have had all three timeouts to stop the clock even if Herm still decided to go for it, and subsequently not make it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on going for it. As far as the timeout is concerned, it wasn't Herm's fault. Every NFL coach has an assistant make the call based on what is being replayed on tv. I don't know who has that job on KC, but hopefully he/she has been relieved of that duty this morning.

bobbything
11-26-2007, 01:45 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on going for it. As far as the timeout is concerned, it wasn't Herm's fault. Every NFL coach has an assistant make the call based on what is being replayed on tv. I don't know who has that job on KC, but hopefully he/she has been relieved of that duty this morning.
Fair enough. My biggest beef wasn't, necessarily, going for the 4th down. I didn't agree with it at all because, from 40 yards out, give your kicker the chance to make amends. Even if he's struggling, he's there to hit the 40 yard-ers. Regardless, what really irked me was calling the timeout, then challenging the spot, and then losing the timeout. Those challenges are rarely, if ever, overturned.

The only time, in recent memory, that I can recall a situation where a spot was overturned is when a coach challenges the spot due to a runner's forward progress being stopped. And even those instances are rare.

I don't like Herm's use (non-use) of timeouts, and how he subsequently spits nonsense in the post-game conference about how the timeouts wouldn't have done any good.

noa
11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I knew that this season was going to be ugly going into it, so I can't say I'm that flustrated. This is pretty much what I expected. Still, I get aggravated with the playcalling and with Herm's general passivity and playing not to lose. I just want a cut throat coach who goes for the jugular, not an ultraconservative coach who waters down the playbook out of fear.

I know its hindsight, but I want a coach who would have called a play action bootleg on 4th and 1 yesterday, not the same damn running play the defense had already seen 5 times.

And I want a GM who stops paying big money to old vets because they fill the seats. The Patriots are the easy reference, but I always liked the way the Eagles did it. They cut Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor at the perfect time and it paid off. King Carl probably would have signed them both to long-term mega deals and neglected drafting replacements.

ARROW2
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I broke a cordless phone over that game yesterday......and it felt good....this had been building for a few weeks now......

ARROW2
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I broke a cordless phone over that game yesterday......and it felt good....this had been building for a few weeks now..........

and I was talking on the phone at the time

DMAC
11-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I almost fell asleep in the stands Sunday. Why go back?

Bump
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I can't go to any games this year, but maybe some of the fans should wear paper bags or something. Make some signs bashing Carl & company (if it's allowed) or do some insulting chants. I don't think much can be done to get rid of Carl and Herm right now. We'll just have to keep taking it up the rear every year.

HemiEd
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I can't go to any games this year, but maybe some of the fans should wear paper bags or something. Make some signs bashing Carl & company (if it's allowed) or do some insulting chants. I don't think much can be done to get rid of Carl and Herm right now. We'll just have to keep taking it up the rear every year.

IMO you should pick battles you can win. Bashing Carl is like pissing in the wind, bash Herm.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, to be honest, I'm not paying for the games I go to, so I can't be 100% for sure. I really think the only way I would stop going, if I did have to pay for them, would be if those people I enjoy tailgating with stopped going as well. That, and I'm one who would love to stay that I stuck it out once we get good again. I'm stubborn like that.

You got a sugar daddy on the board? I'm always the last to know everything....

Mr. Flopnuts
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Who made the call to try to run the ball when we were like 3rd and 15?

Shit, it was 1st and 20, then 2nd and 17 before the run on 3rd and 15. It was awesome watching 1 holding play make that coaching staff give up on the whole drive. I was disgusted.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

I don't see how any of them get a share. If that was the case, wouldn't the NFL want everyone to have access to the Ticket? I think they all split up the booty of the exclusive contract DirecTV signs once every 7-8 years or so. I think individual subscriptions stay with DirecTV. If enough people stop ordering it, then it would probably drop the price, but the whole league has enough support that our team wouldn't slow that down. It'd just relegate us to Buffalo, or New Orleans status. Or insert your own small market team in there.

Otter
11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Besides Herm's brain farts I'm not too frustrated. Brodie is starting and looking pretty good all things considered and I really didn't expect much more from this group.

The Bad Guy
11-26-2007, 04:11 PM

When you're playing your 8th string QB most of the year, I have no idea how that's running them into the ground.

underEJ
11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I am frustrated, but I will not give up my season tickets. I am not a 35 year clubber, but the bloodline is pure from the beginning of Arrowhead. They have not left the family. Why should I give that up? So they will make the changes, get good again, and I'm in the nosebleeds instead of the 13th row? I don't think so.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I've attended one game this year. Sold the other five, and have no plans to attend the last two. I'm tired of financially supporting this abortion of a franchise.

I'm done with ST after this year as well. THe cost doesn't justify the results, and I can live without shortcuts and the redzone channel, as they are the only parts of it that I use, as I can get the Chiefs in HD on cable anyway.

MOhillbilly
11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
i go to 2-3 games a year. i decided early that this wasnt a team i want to spend money on.

SBK
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
I love this place. People root for us to lose for draft picks, then piss and moan when we actually do.

We sign vets to win now we complain. We play young guys so they can get good and we can win later, we complain. Win, complain about lowered draft status, lose, complain about it. Bunch of cotten headed ninny muggins around here. Pussies.