PDA

View Full Version : darkest before the dawn...

oldandslow
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Well we have hit rock bottom. It does not get any worse than losing to a bad Faders team at Arrowhead. But, I never thought we would be better than a six game winner this year anyway.

So with that in mind, I expect better things soon.

Herm might not be a great manager of the clock, but it seems he does well with the draft and with ten picks next year (along with a top 10 pick every round) I am looking forward to new blood - especially on the OL.

Further, Croyle is the QB of the future. He is going to be a star in this league, imo. He is going to get better with every game.

Bowe is also going to spend time on ESPN's highlight reel for several years to come.

The defense let us down on Sunday, but it is better than last year and much better than the year before that. I have every reason to believe that it will be top 5 in the next couple of years. Allen, Johnson, Hali, are very good. I hope Turk and Tank develop. Drafting a young corner is on the list of things to do.

We will find a kicker. It doesn't matter this year anyway.

Colquitt is a STUD.

We are stocked at RB. Johnson and Smith are going to become an excellent combo. I hope we sign a 3rd down back who can catch a pass tho.

This team is just not that far away. OL help will cure a host ills and there is every reason to believe that we will get it during the draft and through FA.

Herm has almost fixed a broken D. If he can turn his attention to the OL, another receiver, and a third down back there is no reason we can't win the AFC west next year and perhaps a playoff game or two.

No one has ever accused me of being a homer. I dislike CP and was blah about the Herm hire. However, I am willing to give the man the chance to fix the Offense over the rest of this season and next year. I believe he will do it.

Delano
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I think you are right.

I would add that improvements on Offense and less 3-and-outs would most definitely result in a better Chiefs Defense.

The D is always exhausted in the second half.

ct
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Actually, the way I've understood it, it's always darkest just before it goes completely black.

hawkchief
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
If the futility level hadn't been as high as it has been for the past 10 years under d-bag Peterson, I'd probably agree with you. He's proven he can't get the job done, and until he's gone, I have no hope for the future of this franchise. It's pathetic, and just another year of saying "we're close". That's just BS.

bowener
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I always learned it is darkest just after the event horizon.... aka Rosie O'Donnell's mouth.

I could have used an equally pathetic joke about mangino as well, but I am too classy for that and too dim witted to think of a better joke.

FAX
11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Great post, Mr. oldandslow. The way you present it, there may yet be hope.

I've put down the gun.

FAX

Skip Towne
11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
It's always darkest before the dawn. It's the best time to steal your neighbor's newspaper.

DMAC
11-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Well we have hit rock bottom. It does not get any worse than losing to a bad Faders team at Arrowhead. But, I never thought we would be better than a six game winner this year anyway.

So with that in mind, I expect better things soon.

Herm might not be a great manager of the clock, but it seems he does well with the draft and with ten picks next year (along with a top 10 pick every round) I am looking forward to new blood - especially on the OL.

Further, Croyle is the QB of the future. He is going to be a star in this league, imo. He is going to get better with every game.

Bowe is also going to spend time on ESPN's highlight reel for several years to come.

The defense let us down on Sunday, but it is better than last year and much better than the year before that. I have every reason to believe that it will be top 5 in the next couple of years. Allen, Johnson, Hali, are very good. I hope Turk and Tank develop. Drafting a young corner is on the list of things to do.

We will find a kicker. It doesn't matter this year anyway.

Colquitt is a STUD.

We are stocked at RB. Johnson and Smith are going to become an excellent combo. I hope we sign a 3rd down back who can catch a pass tho.

This team is just not that far away. OL help will cure a host ills and there is every reason to believe that we will get it during the draft and through FA.

Herm has almost fixed a broken D. If he can turn his attention to the OL, another receiver, and a third down back there is no reason we can't win the AFC west next year and perhaps a playoff game or two.

No one has ever accused me of being a homer. I dislike CP and was blah about the Herm hire. However, I am willing to give the man the chance to fix the Offense over the rest of this season and next year. I believe he will do it.
Summed up in two words:

NEXT YEAR! ROFL

Donger
11-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I hate that saying.

BIG_DADDY
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
With Herm here it's not a dawn your seeing it's a train.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
And that Sheryl in accounting will stop bitching about her rosatia problem. Doesn't she know it gets worse when she bitches about the chiefs?

SBK
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
oldandslow makes a good point and the planet douchebags come along and display their "enlightened" sense of reality.

FAX
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
oldandslow makes a good point and the planet douchebags come along and display their "enlightened" sense of reality.

I don't think that was doucebaggery, Mr. SBK.

I think it was dipshittery ... or, perhaps, dumbassery ... no ... definitely dipshittery.

FAX

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I know, and that clown Trevor has the `bighead` you know? the one who wears rock shirts to work? well, him. Ever since Sunday; he's done nothing but brag about his Othello skills.

Donger
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
However, I am willing to give the man the chance to fix the Offense over the rest of this season and next year. I believe he will do it.

Are you talking about Herm, CP or both? And what leads you to believe that either will "fix the offense"?

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Are you talking about Herm, CP or both? And what leads you to believe that either will "fix the offense"?
Exactly.

Discuss Thrower
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
2008:
HOME: Miami, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Tennessee*
AWAY: NY Jets, New England, Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati*

2009:
HOME: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, NY Giants, AFC EAST(Dolphins/Jets?)
AWAY: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC SOUTH (Texans?)

The sun has yet to set on this team. It's going to be dark for a looong time.

oldandslow
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM

OL help and another WR fixes the offense. We can run the football with the crap we have at OL now. Draft a top OT, pick up a center and guard in FA and this team is becomes better immediately.

I like Croyle. I like Bowe. I like Gonzo, Johnson, & Smith.

What's not to like is in the trenches.

FAX
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
OL help and another WR fixes the offense. We can run the football with the crap we have at OL now. Draft a top OT, pick up a center and guard in FA and this team is becomes better immediately.

I like Croyle. I like Bowe. I like Gonzo, Johnson, & Smith.

What's not to like is in the trenches.

Yep.

FAX

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I like your thread and appreciate it. But I'm sick and tired of waiting. I'm to the point of not caring now. It's going to be hard to get excited about the future. We've reached an all time low. A `new found` low imo, even as Chief fans.

Donger
11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Draft a top OT, pick up a center and guard in FA and this team is becomes better immediately.

Okay, on paper though, right? What has Herm shown you with his coaching or play calling that makes you think he will utilize that new talent?

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Facts are facts. The good teams have smarter, better, brighter coaches and staffing upstairs. REGARDLESS!

EFF this homership! It is really getting old.

oldandslow
11-26-2007, 05:03 PM
I like your thread and appreciate it. But I'm sick and tired of waiting. I'm to the point of not caring now. It's going to be hard to get excited about the future. We've reached an all time low. A `new found` low imo, even as Chief fans.

I feel your pain. I have been around for as long as the Chiefs have been a franchise. I lived through the 70-80's.

However, I really believe this team is better off right now than it has been in a long time. We finally are developing a QB that can become the groundwork for a team with an identity. We have a stud WR on our hands. We have a stud RB. Our defense is better than it has been in a long time.

I liken it to the reemergence of the Cowboys under Aikman et al.

Take our six wins this year and smile. That is what re-building is all about.

FAX
11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Facts are facts. The good teams have smarter, better, brighter coaches and staffing upstairs. REGARDLESS!

EFF this homership! It is really getting old.

Simmah!!!

Bowe will be here long after Herm has taken a job checking coats at the Bunny Ranch.

FAX

oldandslow
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Okay, on paper though, right? What has Herm shown you with his coaching or play calling that makes you think he will utilize that new talent?

Herm can draft. Given enough young talent, he will win. I truly believe it.

Did you really expect any more than this at the beginning of the year?

For PR purposes the Chiefs are not admitting to anything - but they are, imo, finally building a young, hungry team. Kudos.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I feel your pain. I have been around for as long as the Chiefs have been a franchise. I lived through the 70-80's.

However, I really believe this team is better off right now than it has been in a long time. We finally are developing a QB that can become the groundwork for a team with an identity. We have a stud WR on our hands. We have a stud RB. Our defense is better than it has been in a long time.

I hope you're right. I really do. I do really admire your positivity. I'm frustrated and am considering taking some kick-boxing lessons to harness my frustration. I'll probably only watch part of the games from here on out, this yr. anyway.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Simmah!!!

Bowe will be here long after Herm has taken a job checking coats at the Bunny Ranch.

FAX
:) I'm the one who usually keeps his cool in the game threads. This has built up for a while.

Donger
11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Herm can draft. Given enough young talent, he will win. I truly believe it.

Did you really expect any more than this at the beginning of the year?

For PR purposes the Chiefs are not admitting to anything - but they are, imo, finally building a young, hungry team. Kudos.

So, you believe that the new players will help win games in spite of Herm?

oldandslow
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
So, you believe that the new players will help win games in spite of Herm?

Yep.

Give Herm a top OL and the present defensive improvement, this team could win 10-11 games next year.

FAX
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
:) I'm the one who usually keeps his cool in the game threads. This has built up for a while.

No problem. I once watched a Chiefs fan rip his own head clean off.

FAX

Micjones
11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
The offseason will be kind to us fixing this offensive line.

I believe Niswanger will stick as your new Center.
I would move McIntosh to RT.
I would pick up either Snee/Faneca at RG.
And draft a stud LT (Clady??).

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Yep.

Give Herm a top OL and the present defensive improvement, this team could win 10-11 games next year.
If we win 11 games next year; I'll ship you one of those Shoney's strawberry pies.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
The offseason will be kind to us fixing this offensive line.

I believe Niswanger will stick as your new Center.
I would move McIntosh to RT.
I would pick up either Snee/Faneca at RG.
And draft a stud LT (Clady??).
Who is Snee?

SBK
11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
If we had a good O-line our offense would look good. I think we're building the team the right way, and agree that if the line is improved this could be a 10-11 win team next year.

Micjones
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Who is Snee?

Chris Snee (NYG).

TEX
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Herm has almost fixed a broken D.

Really? People have run on them all year. This "D" is average at best regardless of some high rankings in some statistical categories.

Brock
11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Snee is Coughlin's son in law. I'd be surprised if he doesn't reup with the Giants.

Micjones
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Herm has almost fixed a broken D.

Really? People have run on them all year. This "D" is average at best regardless of some high rankings in some statistical categories.

Cover 2 doesn't lend itself to great run defense.
The Vikings are an anomaly. And largely because of the two guys in the middle.

We're not going to be a great run defense with this scheme.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
If we had a good O-line our offense would look good. I think we're building the team the right way, and agree that if the line is improved this could be a 10-11 win team next year.
You're just looking for `pie-handouts` I know you.

kcxiv
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I dont think we have seen the darkest yet. Imo, this season is going to end up comedy gold, but not in a good way for Chiefs fans. I do beleive Herm has lost his team.

Micjones
11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Snee is Coughlin's son in law. I'd be surprised if he doesn't reup with the Giants.

Faneca will be available if he does.
As will Ryan Lilja.

We're going to upgrade that RG spot. I'm sure of it.

I'm not as sure about us moving McIntosh over, but that would be best.
He's a serviceable LT, but he'd be REALLY GOOD at RT.

Then we'd only have to address the LT spot.
And I'd do that through the draft.

TEX
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Cover 2 doesn't lend itself to great run defense.
The Vikings are an anomaly. And largely because of the two guys in the middle.

We're not going to be a great run defense with this scheme.

Tampa Bay was pretty stout against the run in their day... :hmmm:

Besides, the Raiders had no problems passing either when they had to have it. :shake:

Adept Havelock
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM

I hope you are right.

FAX
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Faneca will be available if he does.
As will Ryan Lilja.

We're going to upgrade that RG spot. I'm sure of it.

I'm not as sure about us moving McIntosh over, but that would be best.
He's a serviceable LT, but he'd be REALLY GOOD at RT.

Then we'd only have to address the LT spot.
And I'd do that through the draft.

Is it relatively easy to move from LT to RT, Mr. Micjones? It seems to me that you have to be a pretty darn good athlete to change positions like that. Has the big apple played RT?

FAX

BIG_DADDY
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I thought the saying was it's darkest just before it goes completely black.

Valiant
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Besides, the Raiders had no problems passing either when they had to have it. :shake:

That is when it was new to a lot of teams, and Tampa had studs back there.. Kind of like how the zone blitzing scheme by Carolina worked for a few years until teams learned how to exploit it.. I am not sure what or how it will take to make this defense play consistent enough to be a major factor game in, game out..

One thing I would like to see is Herm stay away from the Offense.. Bring in somebody who will devise an offense with the players we have.. Our Oline is not good/big enough to play smashmouth..

Need to go Denvers or the Eagles route of blocking.. Perferably the Eagles of pass first offense, where you pass to open up the running game..

Micjones
11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

That's the other weakness of the Cover 2 scheme.
You'll get chopped up if you can't generate consistent pressure with the front four. Yesterday Culpepper had lots of time to throw.

Tampa was the exception and not the rule.
And again... They had stud DT's.

Micjones
11-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Is it relatively easy to move from LT to RT, Mr. Micjones? It seems to me that you have to be a pretty darn good athlete to change positions like that. Has the big apple played RT?

FAX

It's not a cakewalk.
And now that I think about it I do believe San Diego tried to move him to RT with disasterous results. BUT... It's also easier to play RT. So you never know...

Perhaps we can make Max Starks (RT) a priority and work on the line's interior (Center, Niswanger and RG, Snee/Faneca/Lilja)?

splatbass
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM

I believe if Chiefs Planet didn't exist most of you wouldn't be so sick and tired of waiting. The negativity here feeds on itself, all the naysayers start repeating the same buzzwords ("mediocrity" for example), and you all bring each other down. This has become a very depressing place, a place that has lost all objectivity and hates everything Herm does with a knee jerk reaction - no matter what it is. And if he does the opposite they will hate that too. There are a lot of lemmings here.

Looked at objectively, leaving all the emotion out of it, the future looks fairly bright for the Chiefs. The D is much better and will likely improve more, the O has a lot of playmakers and just needs an overhaul of the OL to be good. The OP got it right.

OnTheWarpath15
11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Speaking of free agent linemen, anyone know how they determine compensation for RFA's?

One guy that people overlook who had looked damn good when he's played is Chris Kemoeatu of the Steelers. For those who haven't seen him, go back and watch film of our loss to Pittsburgh last year...he started in place of Faneca.

Not sure they wouldn't make it impossible for some team to get him, since they stand to lose Faneca.

mikey23545
11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I believe if Chiefs Planet didn't exist most of you wouldn't be so sick and tired of waiting. The negativity here feeds on itself, all the naysayers start repeating the same buzzwords ("mediocrity" for example), and you all bring each other down. This has become a very depressing place, a place that has lost all objectivity and hates everything Herm does with a knee jerk reaction - no matter what it is. And if he does the opposite they will hate that too. There are a lot of lemmings here.

Looked at objectively, leaving all the emotion out of it, the future looks fairly bright for the Chiefs. The D is much better and will likely improve more, the O has a lot of playmakers and just needs an overhaul of the OL to be good. The OP got it right.

Man, you have taken the words right out of my mouth. Herm can never do right, only wrong. Carl will take any action he can to prevent the Chiefs from winning more than 9 games. The Hunts only care about money.

These have become some kind of circle-jerk mantras, and Chiefs Planet has become a contest among posters to see who can scream them the loudest while wearing a hair shirt. The Planet is becoming a most unenjoyable place.

digi2fish
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
we're going to need young CBs very soon.

splatbass
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Man, you have taken the words right out of my mouth. Herm can never do right, only wrong. Carl will take any action he can to prevent the Chiefs from winning more than 9 games. The Hunts only care about money.

These have become some kind of circle-jerk mantras, and Chiefs Planet has become a contest among posters to see who can scream them the loudest while wearing a hair shirt. The Planet is becoming a most unenjoyable place.

The only reason I still come here is because it is the best place for an out of towner to get Chiefs news. I've been here almost since the beginning, and this is by far the worst it has ever been. It can be a very unpleasant place most of the time.

FAX
11-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Good post, Mr. splatbass. Herm's an idiot and a liar, but this is a darn good post, nonetheless.

Sharing one's pain is helpful and, with the exception of Mr. Rain Man's polls, ChiefsPlanet is therapeutic for me ... kind of like talking somebody off a ledge. Were it not for ChiefsPlanet, I'm pretty sure most of the windows in my home would be broken by now.

Once we start winning, however, it will be lots better. We can turn our, by then, well-honed animosity toward Mr. Ugly Duck and his ilk.

FAX

Coogs
11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll maybe get laughed out of here for this, but I would not be totally upset if we took the FB from Arkansas in the 3rd round. That dude was totally impressive against LSU on Saturday. Blocking beast that could run and catch passes as well.

A couple of O-linemen in the first two rounds. Peyton Hillis, FB Arkansas, in the 3rd. And maybe Nelson or Purify at WR in the 4th round. Then pick some defenders in with the rest of the picks.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Good post, Mr. splatbass. Herm's an idiot and a liar, but this is a darn good post, nonetheless.

Sharing one's pain is helpful and, with the exception of Mr. Rain Man's polls, ChiefsPlanet is therapeutic for me ... kind of like talking somebody off a ledge. Were it not for ChiefsPlanet, I'm pretty sure most of the windows in my home would be broken by now.

Once we start winning, however, it will be lots better. We can turn our, by then, well-honed animosity toward Mr. Ugly Duck and his ilk.

FAX
LOL, and Splat, I am one of the one's who've hung in there with the team. I'm disgusted. Herm is terrible, He's a decent guy but not a great coach. His support is horrible and constantly out smarted and out coached. Carl is a p.o.s. that doesn't care about anything but winning enough games to maintain hunger from/by the fans. <-no big secret there. I've hung in there and my dumbass most likely will continue to do so. But Carl can't bring anything to the table but his own greed. Reality struck me this weekend, call me negative if you want but I'm freaking fed up and if you've paid attention on here, I may be one of the most reserved posters on here who more often then not give other posters the benefit of doubt. But not now, not any longer. If the fans don't start showing there sick and effing tired of losers and dumb organizations who'll never change! And that's a run-on sentence who cares?

FAX
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Down with good sentences!!!

Run on with your bad self!!!

FAX

FAX
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I'll maybe get laughed out of here for this, but I would not be totally upset if we took the FB from Arkansas in the 3rd round. That dude was totally impressive against LSU on Saturday. Blocking beast that could run and catch passes as well.

A couple of O-linemen in the first two rounds. Peyton Hillis, FB Arkansas, in the 3rd. And maybe Nelson or Purify at WR in the 4th round. Then pick some defenders in with the rest of the picks.

I think we have about 1 million picks next year. Surely we can trade one for a really good LT?

FAX

mikey23545
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
The only reason I still come here is because it is the best place for an out of towner to get Chiefs news. I've been here almost since the beginning, and this is by far the worst it has ever been. It can be a very unpleasant place most of the time.

Again, you read my mind. I live in Florida and this site is a great place for Chiefs news and trivia, but it's starting to become like swimming in a polluted lake for enjoyment.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Again, you read my mind. I live in Florida and this site is a great place for Chiefs news and trivia, but it's starting to become like swimming in a polluted lake for enjoyment.
C`mon Mikey, I like ya a lot and you know that. But you've had your negative moments as well on here.

Coogs
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I think we have about 1 million picks next year. Surely we can trade one for a really good LT?

FAX

We might be able to draft one early in round 1. The LT from Michigan gets some good press. I've not watched him play, but he is ranked pretty darn high.

And I am serious about the FB thing too. That Hillis kid was really good Saturday. A FB in Herms philosophy might be a good thingl. Much like T Rich was in his prime. And I have heard Herm say before FB are hard to come by. So you never know.

Simply Red
11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Carl Peterson (You, Me and Dupree) > Carl Peterson of the KC Chiefs Org.

UteChief
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Well I haven't been a Chiefs fan as long as most of you. I followed Joe from the 49ers. But when I did that I didn't know anything about football.

I have grown tired of the losing. I'm not sure we have won a playoff game since I became a fan.

At least I enjoyed watching Vermeils offense. I can't say I enjoy watching this team. I traveled from Utah to Seattle for a game. I won't be traveling to Missouri to watch this team any time soon.

I think it's time for Carl to leave. I think if Herm stays we need to keep him away from the offense and have a Co-Coach Offensive Coordinator come in. Or get a new coach but keep Herm as a GM. I believe he has made some good choices in the draft.

I'm not even sure I will keep Sunday Ticket. That way I'll enjoy the games that are on tv a lot more. It won't be so much disappointment.

This board has become negative but it isn't without reason. I enjoy the board because of the different varying opinions and in depth information available. If I depended upon the local news all I would hear about is the Broncos. That and the thirty seconds Chief spots on Sportscenter.

sd4chiefs
11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
If, when the Chargers beat the Chiefs next week and my neighbor asks me if I am a Charger fan yet I am going to go postal on his ass. :bang: :bolts:

Simplex3
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM

HemiEd
11-26-2007, 10:34 PM
When was the last time the Chiefs lost four ****ing games in a row, three of them at home? :# :# :# :#

J Diddy
11-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Well I haven't been a Chiefs fan as long as most of you. I followed Joe from the 49ers. But when I did that I didn't know anything about football.

I have grown tired of the losing. I'm not sure we have won a playoff game since I became a fan.

At least I enjoyed watching Vermeils offense. I can't say I enjoy watching this team. I traveled from Utah to Seattle for a game. I won't be traveling to Missouri to watch this team any time soon.

I think it's time for Carl to leave. I think if Herm stays we need to keep him away from the offense and have a Co-Coach Offensive Coordinator come in. Or get a new coach but keep Herm as a GM. I believe he has made some good choices in the draft.

I'm not even sure I will keep Sunday Ticket. That way I'll enjoy the games that are on tv a lot more. It won't be so much disappointment.

This board has become negative but it isn't without reason. I enjoy the board because of the different varying opinions and in depth information available. If I depended upon the local news all I would hear about is the Broncos. That and the thirty seconds Chief spots on Sportscenter.

There there it will be alright, they have won a playoff game since you became a fan of the Chiefs. Joe took us to the afc championship game against Buffalo, we lost. I think that's what started the streak.

Ugly Duck
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Our Oline is not good/big enough to play smashmouth..

Need to go Denvers or the Eagles route of blocking.

Worked for Oakland... in 2006 we were just as bad rushing as you are this season.... #29 in the NFL. Now we're in the top 5 every week.