PDA

View Full Version : Herm presser 11/27 - Herm can't do math?

Hammock Parties
11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
No transcript yet, but wow...he really put his foot in it again.

Herm basically said that if the Chiefs had scored a touchdown after converting on the 4th and 1, they would have forced the Raiders to score a touchdown to tie the game.

NO HERM. You were down 20-17. You score a touchdown and it's 24-20.

SIMPLE MATH.

:shake:

"I'm looking at a 4th and 1 and my decision is very simple. Do you put it on the kicker? Let's say the kicker makes it. That's great, but now you've got another problem. The Raiders have a kicker that can make a 55-yard field goal. We haven't stopped them yet on defense, so they get the ball and start running it and the problem is at the end of the game, if we do kick and tie it, then they go down and might kick to win the game. At that point, 4th and 1, we had run for about 160 yards, I got a good confidence we're gonna make it. We make the play, go in and score, I feel a lot better with a seven point lead and giving the Raiders the ball back and now you have to score a touchdown. You can't kick a field goal to beat us, now you have to score a touchdown to tie."

siberian khatru
11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
So not only does Herm need a clock coach on the sideline, he needs a mathematician, too?

DMAC
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
We were warned.

BigRock
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
now you have to score a touchdown to tie.
So he meant "to win". Point being that a FG for the Raiders wouldn't have accomplished anything.

Your glass-like transparency has truly become entertaining.

FAX
11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
What's so simple about it, Mr GoChiefs? If we score three points, we're tied. But, if we fumble and the Raiders score a FG, they're up by six but if we get the ball back and score a touchdown we're up by one but then if the Raiders score another FG they're up by 2 but if we fumble again and they get the ball but our defense comes on and we score a safety we're tied again. Then nobody wins.

I can see where Herm's coming from.

FAX

Hammock Parties
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
So he meant "to win"..

Did he? He made the same error TWICE.

Ugly Duck
11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
He mispoke... saying "7 pt lead" when he meant "7 pt score"

bobbything
11-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Herm ain't my favorite person ever, but it's obvious he meant that by scoring a TD, if would force the Raiders to score a TD to win the game.

I think he just misspoke. Unless, of course, he really thought the game was tied. Which would suggest his immediate removal.

Sanka
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
He figured if we score a TD, that Rayner would most likely shank the PAT, or we would go for 2 and mess that up.

MichaelH
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Simple math or clock management. Hermie don't know neither. :loser:

Hammock Parties
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Herm ain't my favorite person ever, but it's obvious he meant that by scoring a TD, if would force the Raiders to score a TD to win the game.

He thought scoring a TD would give us a seven point lead.

That's what he said.

WTF is he on? How does he not know what happened in the damn game he just coached?

DMAC
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM

I think he just misspoke. Unless, of course, he really thought the game was tied. Which would suggest his immediate removal.You must be even dumber than Herm. You are able to read the quote, and still eff it up in your head.

"I feel a lot better with a seven point lead and giving the Raiders the ball back and now you have to score a touchdown. You can't kick a field goal to beat us, now you have to score a touchdown to tie."

Seven point lead.....touchdown

bobbything
11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
You must be even dumber than Herm. You are able to read the quote, and still eff it up in your head.
Why you gotta be an assface?

DMAC
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Why you gotta be an assface?
Too much beer this weekend. Breath smells like poop.

Donger
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Isn't a touchdown worth six points?

Micjones
11-27-2007, 04:45 PM
And once again he proves why he should only be a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

He's so deathly afraid of failure he does nothing at all and winds up failing anyway.

This guy is clueless as a Head Coach.
Great motivator. Phenomenal evaluator of talent. Suck ass coach.

Micjones
11-27-2007, 04:46 PM
He prides himself on playing this conservative brand of football. When the opportunity arises though he won't take 3. He shits himself, squanders two timeouts and gives us zero chance at winning.

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
And once again he proves why he should only be a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

He's so deathly afraid of failure he does nothing at all and winds up failing anyway.

I'm SOOO tempted to buy into every single word here, if we look like this next year...consider it done.

No question that he'd make a GREAT DC, but its possible he's in over his head at HC.

I gotta give him 1 more year though.

HemiEd
11-27-2007, 05:26 PM

I think he just misspoke. Unless, of course, he really thought the game was tied. Which would suggest his immediate removal.

We should be used to him "miss-spoking" by now. The hard part is reading between the lines. Heck that may be the problem with some of the players development, communication.
I am sure some of them are not that well educated in Hermspeak.

BigRock
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, let's see.

"The Raiders have a kicker that can make a 55-yard field goal. We haven't stopped them yet on defense, so they get the ball and start running it and the problem is at the end of the game, if we do kick and tie it, then they go down and might kick to win the game."

Quite obviously, he was aware of the score. Quite obviously, he's saying he felt better getting the TD as opposed to a tying field goal so that the Raiders couldn't get somewhere near the 50 yard line and let Seabass win it. If the Chiefs scored a TD, it would force the Raiders to score one, too.

Had they scored a TD, they would have won the game. After already making his point, Herm incorrectly said they would have tied it. OH NOES!!!!!!

Are reasoned, well thought out threads like this one an example of the kind of thing we can look forward to seeing from you in the future? Because I, for one, can't wait.

Dayze
11-27-2007, 05:47 PM
What's so simple about it, Mr GoChiefs? If we score three points, we're tied. But, if we fumble and the Raiders score a FG, they're up by six but if we get the ball back and score a touchdown we're up by one but then if the Raiders score another FG they're up by 2 but if we fumble again and they get the ball but our defense comes on and we score a safety we're tied again. Then nobody wins.

I can see where Herm's coming from.

FAX
ROFL

Precisely.

TEX
11-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Very well said and so plain to see. :clap:

Sure-Oz
11-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Herm sucks at clock management and basic math, great

HemiEd
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Herm sucks at clock management and basic math, great

But he is smarter than all that have gone before him in KC, just ask him.

HMc
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm SOOO tempted to buy into every single word here, if we look like this next year...consider it done.

No question that he'd make a GREAT DC, but its possible he's in over his head at HC.

I gotta give him 1 more year though.

Herm's been coaching in this league since 1990, and was playing since what, the seventies?

He aint gonna develop HC like tactical nous across the offseason when he doesnt have ANY after being in the league for 30 years.

HMc
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
basically herm is saying that he would rather hope that the raiders turn the ball over while taking 3 knees in a row, than have Janikowski kick a 55 yardder to win it. Cos janikowski is money from 50 and over, and there's always chance of a turnover when there's 2 minutes to go and the opposition has the lead and ball

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Herm's been coaching in this league since 1990, and was playing since what, the seventies?

He aint gonna develop HC like tactical nous across the offseason when he doesnt have ANY after being in the league for 30 years.

We've spent 2 years upgrading the D (mostly), with solid results.

I cant see how its wrong to have hope, that a year of focusing on the O wont bring the same results...we have the single most important piece in place for improvement.

Theres just too much outrage right now, its at an All-Time high & its showing in attendance etc. I have every reason to believe that major changes are in store for the O's direction in 08.

It may well be forced on Herm & Carl from the top...if not, then i will give completely up on this version of the Chiefs.

Micjones
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Exactly.

Micjones
11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I cant see how its wrong to have hope, that a year of focusing on the O wont bring the same results...we have the single most important piece in place for improvement.

Well where are they hiding that offensive line?

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Well where are they hiding that offensive line?

I'm talking about Croyle as that all important piece.

Its hard for me to blame Herm for this line, most people here thought Welbourn would fill in admirably for Shields...including me, at RT, Terry looked serviceable in limited duty last year...he was relatively young, was a high draft pick etc., its wasnt beyond comprehension that he could be turned into a player.

But nevermind me, everyone else here has all of the answers :rolleyes: .

Warrior5
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Theres just too much outrage right now, its at an All-Time high & its showing in attendance etc. I have every reason to believe that major changes are in store for the O's direction in 08.

It may well be forced on Herm & Carl from the top...if not, then i will give completely up on this version of the Chiefs.

Yep.

Chiefnj2
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
It's tough not to dogpile on Herm after one of his press conferences and his Hermisms, but I'm not as down on him and the team as I usually am. I was happy with the Raider game.

1. The young guys really plays. Croyle, Smith, Bowe, Niswanger, McBride and Tyler. They all got lots of playing time. That's a good thing.

2. Herm went for it on 4th down twice. Herm also tried to move the ball at the end of the first half. It demonstrated perfectly why he doesn't always do it because Croyle dropped back and got hit as soon as he looked up.

3. The D was exposed for being not as good as people and perhaps the coaching staff thinks.

HMc
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM

I think most would agree that Herm is a genuine top flight DC. But his game management stinks, and his football philosophy is fairly hard to appreciate. 30 points a game is too many? It just doesn't make any sense, that scoring too quickly is inferior to attempting to hold the ball for longer and score between <b>10 and 20</b>.

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I think most would agree that Herm is a genuine top flight DC. But his game management stinks, and his football philosophy is fairly hard to appreciate. 30 points a game is too many? It just doesn't make any sense, that scoring too quickly is inferior to attempting to hold the ball for longer and score between <b>10 and 20</b>.

I really dont agree with every tenet of his philosophy either, IMO the only thing that fires a D up better than a good rest...is watching the O lay a 21 point lead on somebody.

If a philosophy change isnt forced upon Herm this offseason, then, for me...Herm will have exactly 1 more season to prove his way can work here.

If year 3 doesnt do it...he can hit the bricks.

HypnotizedMonkey
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Herm Sucks and all I got were these crappy $22 chips.

Ugly Duck
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Quite obviously, he's saying he felt better getting the TD as opposed to a tying field goal so that the Raiders couldn't get somewhere near the 50 yard line and let Seabass win it. If the Chiefs scored a TD, it would force the Raiders to score one, too.

Had they scored a TD, they would have won the game. After already making his point, Herm incorrectly said they would have tied it. OH NOES!!!!!!

Thats the obvious truth. But it just wouldn't make a very exciting thread, now would it?

HMc
11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Herm Sucks and all I got were these crappy $22 chips.

What's worse is that you got Arena chips, they arent NFL chips

Bob Dole
11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
http://i15.tinypic.com/8bt5c86.jpg

HemiEd
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
basically herm is saying that he would rather hope that the raiders turn the ball over while taking 3 knees in a row, than have Janikowski kick a 55 yardder to win it. Cos janikowski is money from 50 and over, and there's always chance of a turnover when there's 2 minutes to go and the opposition has the lead and ball

You know, it is funny how different Shannahan handled that exact situation.

FAX
11-27-2007, 10:10 PM

DIEHARD post, Mr. scott free. Prop things to you. I have hope. Plenty of it. I fear, however, that Herm simply cannot build an offense any better than a 20 to 15 ranking at the very, very best. And that's with all the pieces.

Herm's philosophy may well preclude anything better, so he needs to be pretty darn good at building a stellar D and get us into the plus 2 or 3 takeaways per game range. If the offensive trend in the NFL continues as it has been, that is. Otherwise, we will not be able to compete. Of course, if we had a run game that allowed us to rack up 40 minutes of TOP per game, we could do it. But that's DIEHARD stuff, right there.

FAX

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
DIEHARD post, Mr. scott free. Prop things to you. I have hope. Plenty of it. I fear, however, that Herm simply cannot build an offense any better than a 20 to 15 ranking at the very, very best. And that's with all the pieces.

Herm's philosophy may well preclude anything better, so he needs to be pretty darn good at building a stellar D and get us into the plus 2 or 3 takeaways per game range. If the offensive trend in the NFL continues as it has been, that is. Otherwise, we will not be able to compete. Of course, if we had a run game that allowed us to rack up 40 minutes of TOP per game, we could do it. But that's DIEHARD stuff, right there.

FAX

Its getting harder & harder to have faith in Herm, i cant remember a coach of any team being so averse to admitting a mistake...stubborness is only a good trait when the results back you up.

I love his D philosophy & eye for talent...but he's on his last gasp with me, i cannot deny it.

I've been saying "1 more year"...but really, he only has the remaining games & the first 5 or 6 next year to retain my loyalty.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Its getting harder & harder to have faith in Herm, i cant remember a coach of any team being so averse to admitting a mistake...stubborness is only a good trait when the results back you up.

I love his D philosophy & eye for talent...but he's on his last gasp with me, i cannot deny it.

I've been saying "1 more year"...but really, he only has the remaining games & the first 5 or 6 next year to retain my loyalty.

I just know we're going to start out slow next year, which pretty much ends any chance of competing for the 1 or 2 seed.

I can't do it anymore. The man has crushed my spirit.

FAX
11-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I just know we're going to start out slow next year, which pretty much ends any chance of competing for the 1 or 2 seed.

Herm's teams seem to always start out the season slow. This time they came to a full stop, though.

In the last half, the Chiefs took a licking
'Cause the game clock was all that was clicking
Then Lenny Cool said,
"I think the Chiefs are dead.
They're not moving. They're not even kicking."

FAX

Easy 6
11-27-2007, 10:33 PM

I've been saying "this is the last straw" since the Browns debacle last year, but then i look at this angle...that angle, try to be fair & come to the conclusion that other factors besides his ineptitude were at play.

But losing like this to the fade, at home...after using the same tired ass "its always tight with chokeland" excuse as DV, is impossible to defend.

I just HATE the idea that we cant flat out whip a bad team because previous games were "tight".

I've already said it, so i'll stick with it...10 more games Herm, prove yourself.

11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
At first, I thought you misunderstood him but then I read the quote you posted. They WOULD have needed a TD to win though. Had we made a TD in that situation.

11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I've been saying "this is the last straw" since the Browns debacle last year, but then i look at this angle...that angle, try to be fair & come to the conclusion that other factors besides his ineptitude were at play.

But losing like this to the fade, at home...after using the same tired ass "its always tight with chokeland" excuse as DV, is impossible to defend.

I just HATE the idea that we cant flat out whip a bad team because previous games were "tight".

I've already said it, so i'll stick with it...10 more games Herm, prove yourself.

10?
5 max!!!!