PDA

View Full Version : Mangino: Coach of the year

sportsman1
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/nov/27/mangino_named_big_12_coach_year/

Rep for the big guy. He definitly deserves it. Maybe he will also get National honors.

Lzen
11-27-2007, 08:59 PM
No doubt, what he did this year was nothing short of amazing. Congrats, coach Mangino.

Pierce
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Yup. I never thought I would live to see the day when KU was actually a decent football team.

Sure-Oz
11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
38thespot.com

The 38 Sports Spot
Loading ...
Question of the Week: Who should be the Big 12 Coach of the Year?

Gary Pinkel 61%
Mark Mangino 34%
Gary Stoops 5%

wtf is gary stoops.

djrcmay
11-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Not so amazing, considering the soft schedule they played.

Eleazar
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Gary Pinkel beat Mark Mangino on the field, vaulting Missouri to No. 1 for the first time since 1960. At the polls, though, he tied for first with the Kansas coach.

Pinkel, who has the Tigers one victory short of the national championship game, and Mangino, who led Kansas to No. 2 and 11 straight season-opening victories before a 36-28 loss to Missouri on Saturday, were named co-Big 12 coaches of the year on Tuesday by The Associated Press. In balloting by a panel of conference media, both coaches received 10 votes.

Eleazar
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Chase Daniel, Missouri, Jr., QB, Southlake, Texas

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Jordon Dizon, Colorado, Sr., LB, Kauai, Hawaii

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Marcus Herford, Kansas, Jr., WR, DeSoto, Texas

OFFENSIVE FRESHMEN OF THE YEAR
Jeremy Maclin, Missouri, Fr., WR, Kirkwood, Mo.
Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech, Fr., WR, Dallas, Texas

DEFENSIVE FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma, Fr., DT, Oklahoma City, Okla.

OFFENSIVE NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Deon Murphy, Kansas State, Jr., WR, Houston, Texas

DEFENSIVE NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Gary Chandler, Kansas State, Jr., DB, Wichita, Kan.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN OF THE YEAR
Adam Spieker, Missouri, Sr., Webb City, Mo.
Cody Wallace, Texas A&M, Sr., Cuero, Texas

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR
James McClinton, Kansas, Sr., Garland, Texas

COACH OF THE YEAR
Mark Mangino, Kansas, 6th season

Buehler445
11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Maclin is a Frosh??? Holy shit.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
nice how you neglect to mention he only got half of it.

;)

Deberg_1990
11-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Mangino: Slimfast spokesman of the year!!

Eleazar
11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
nice how you neglect to mention he only got half of it.

;)

The Big 12 gave it to him, but the AP split it.

Really, Mangino did almost as much with less talent, so you can make the argument, especially since the conference title game isn't until this Saturday.

eazyb81
11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
So where is the AP's All-Big 12 team? All I've seen is what the coaches voted on.

sportsman1
11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Read the article I posted lol. It doesn't say that.Its understandable though if they did split it.

Sure-Oz
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Mangino: Slimfast spokesman of the year!!
That would require him to be the size of tommy lasorda. Right now he is 5 tommy's

Reerun_KC
11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
That would require him to be the size of tommy lasorda. Right now he is 5 tommy's
Your just jealous that our coach can eat your coach...

ChiefaRoo
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
So he won that hot dog eating contest? I thought they held that in the summer.

Extra Point
11-28-2007, 12:41 AM
As much as I like what Mangino did, Pinkel deserves the honor more. Co-Coach honoring is dilutive.

blueballs
11-28-2007, 01:25 AM
George Bush plans to make him
the physical fitness czar

Pierce
11-28-2007, 01:48 AM
As much as I like what Mangino did, Pinkel deserves the honor more. Co-Coach honoring is dilutive.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Mangino's team doesn't have the talent that Pinkel's team does, but KU was still competitive throughout the season and gave MU a game in the second half.

It's pretty remarkable for anyone that has followed KU football throughout the years.

BWillie
11-28-2007, 01:53 AM
ManGENIUS

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2007, 02:24 AM
I can't wait to see what he can do with that dreadful Notre Dame team next year...

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2007, 03:02 AM
ManGENIUS
That genius coach of yours is 1-10 lifetime against the top 25 (the lone win against #24 KSU this year who we all know is not a real top 25 contending team) In these 11 games he has been outscored by an average score of 42-19. He sits right at a .500 career record. He benefited this year from a pussy schedule and the craziest football season probably ever. Please explain how he has earned this nickname without ONE big win. I am sorry to give you KU fans a reality check but you guys have accomplished nothing yet. You think that running up the score on weak teams is going to build you a football dynasty but it isn't. Kansas is and will always be a basketball school. I understand that you all got hardons hearing media "experts" talk about how Kansas is for real but in all honesty you have not done a single thing to prove this. I just hate seeing you all get your hopes up after a "one year wonder" team is setting up to break your heart next season when you will likely end up around 7-5 at best....

BWillie
11-28-2007, 03:12 AM
That genius coach of yours is 1-10 lifetime against the top 25 (the lone win against #24 KSU this year who we all know is not a real top 25 contending team) In these 11 games he has been outscored by an average score of 42-19. He sits right at a .500 career record. He benefited this year from a pussy schedule and the craziest football season probably ever. Please explain how he has earned this nickname without ONE big win. I am sorry to give you KU fans a reality check but you guys have accomplished nothing yet. You think that running up the score on weak teams is going to build you a football dynasty but it isn't. Kansas is and will always be a basketball school. I understand that you all got hardons hearing media "experts" talk about how Kansas is for real but in all honesty you have not done a single thing to prove this. I just hate seeing you all get your hopes up after a "one year wonder" team is setting up to break your heart next season when you will likely end up around 7-5 at best....

You want to bet on that? I predict a 9-3 record next year. I said 10-2 this year, well I'm saying 9-3 next year. Even the hawks surpassed my expectations this year.

MyChiefConcern
11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
I am sorry to give you KU fans a reality check but you guys have accomplished nothing yet.

1) No, you're really not. Don't be disingenuous. You love to give KU fans your so-called "reality check."

2) In order for one to say that KU has accomplished nothing to this point, one has to have absolutely zero understanding of where this program was when Mangino took it over. It wasn't "Snyder takes KSU job" bad, but it was close. Terry Allen's recruiting was in the crapper, and we were losing, badly, to the likes of San Diego State. We lost to SMU under him, for crying out loud.

Now, KU is likely going to a BCS bowl game. You can argue fraudulent scheduling all you want, but that's simply reality. In a season which, as you say, has been the craziest in recent memory, a team that has NEVER dominated the Big 12 North (With the notable section of Missouri) ran rampant through their own division and took care of all three Big 12 South opponents. Argue schedule strength, argue the weakness of the division and the league all you want, but Kansas did something they had never done in the past: they took care of business. They beat teams they were supposed to beat, and ones they weren't supposed to as well. Check out the pre-season Big 12 standings. Did anyone not named Jack Harry have Kansas as a successful team? No.

This is what so many folks don't understand. The loss to MU, by a "dominating" 8 points, does nothing to invalidate everything that Mangino has accomplished this season. The dude had his back up against the wall, and his team responded in epic fashion as far as KU football is concerned.

Additionally, 7-5 next year would be a disappointment. Tech and UT are at home, as are Colorado and Kansas State. KU returns a HUGE chunk of their starting lineups on both sides of the ball. Mangino has this program in a position where long-term success, meaning no more years as a bottom-feeder and consistent 8 win regular seasons, is a realistic possibility.

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I would agree KU surpassed all expectations but that is saying nothing. Mangino in his 6 year tenure has yet to have a real quality win. Being in a BCS bowl won't mean shit if you don't actually compete in the game. Please don't sit here and pretend like you were ever in a real position to win the game at Arrowhead. MU dominated the game from the 1st-3rd quarter then coasted to the win with soft zones and running the clock on offense. KU will lose next year @USF. USF is a better team than every team you beat this year. Tech returns Crabtree and Harrell who will beat you by themselves I don't care where the game is you don't want to try to have a shootout with them. OU Tex and Mizzou finish off the 5 loss season. Also you play at Nebraska next year so there is another tossup IMO just depending on which Nebraska team shows up next season.

MyChiefConcern
11-28-2007, 03:52 AM
I would agree KU surpassed all expectations but that is saying nothing. Mangino in his 6 year tenure has yet to have a real quality win. Being in a BCS bowl won't mean shit if you don't actually compete in the game. Please don't sit here and pretend like you were ever in a real position to win the game at Arrowhead. MU dominated the game from the 1st-3rd quarter then coasted to the win with soft zones and running the clock on offense. KU will lose next year @USF. USF is a better team than every team you beat this year. Tech returns Crabtree and Harrell who will beat you by themselves I don't care where the game is you don't want to try to have a shootout with them. OU Tex and Mizzou finish off the 5 loss season. Also you play at Nebraska next year so there is another tossup IMO just depending on which Nebraska team shows up next season.

1) At one point in that game, KU was down by 6 points. 6. Do you know what equals 6? 3 + 3. Do you know how much a field goal is worth? 3 points.

How many field goals did KU miss?

I'm not a KU fan who is going to argue that, all things being equal, the two teams are on even footing. That's simply not the case. MU was bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced. But to act like KU wasn't in that game at the end is sheer fallacy, and that would worry me if I were an MU fan. Because, you know, KU was so vastly overrated and all, and 8 points isn't exactly a gaping chasm. It's certainly not the 17 that Oklahoma was up on MU, with about a minute to go in their earlier contest in Norman.

2) I heard those same predictions regarding games heading into this season. How did those work out for you?

Your predictions are all ludicrous, considering KU is better than Tech and Texas this year, we return a huge portion of our starting lineups on O and D, and the games are in Lawrence, but the Nebraska one is where you really shine. KU hangs 76 on a team that's going into its first year under a new coaching staff, and it's a friggin' toss up? Who the hell do you think they're going to get to replace Callahan? Vince Lombardi?

Awesome. You can believe what you want. When KU wins somewhere in the area of 9 games again next season, however, it won't be surprising in the least.

luv
11-28-2007, 04:00 AM
1) At one point in that game, KU was down by 6 points. 6. Do you know what equals 6? 3 + 3. Do you know how much a field goal is worth? 3 points.

How many field goals did KU miss?

I'm not a KU fan who is going to argue that, all things being equal, the two teams are on even footing. That's simply not the case. MU was bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced. But to act like KU wasn't in that game at the end is sheer fallacy, and that would worry me if I were an MU fan. Because, you know, KU was so vastly overrated and all, and 8 points isn't exactly a gaping chasm. It's certainly not the 17 that Oklahoma was up on MU, with about a minute to go in their earlier contest in Norman.

2) I heard those same predictions regarding games heading into this season. How did those work out for you?

Your predictions are all ludicrous, considering KU is better than Tech and Texas this year, we return a huge portion of our starting lineups on O and D, and the games are in Lawrence, but the Nebraska one is where you really shine. KU hangs 76 on a team that's going into its first year under a new coaching staff, and it's a friggin' toss up? Who the hell do you think they're going to get to replace Callahan? Vince Lombardi?

Awesome. You can believe what you want. When KU wins somewhere in the area of 9 games again next season, however, it won't be surprising in the least.
Quite the 100th post.

POND_OF_RED
11-28-2007, 04:24 AM
I only said Nebraska is a tossup because they live and die for football there. Callahan killed that program with his west coast offense BS. If they get a coach in there that brings back there old offensive philosophy of power football who knows what team they could field. They obviously have some talent there considering they were expected to run away with the north this year. Texas Tech's offense will expose KU's defense next year Talib is slow and gets burnt by fast receivers often. Mizzou showed you what a good spread offense can do against that "phenomenal" defense of yours. Texas I might have jumped the gun on...I looked at there history over there current team I will admit you might beat them but who knows. It obviously too early to actually be predicting for next year but I'm bored and sick of KU fans acting like they are some powerhouse all of a sudden when they have not had ONE BIG WIN. This is all I was trying to get across. The KU fans I talk to act like they have had this magical season where they could compete with any team in the nation right now but the truth of the matter is you played one big team this year and got physically dominated. Also the 4th quarter of that game was a COMPLETELY different Mizzou team. I don't know why Pinkel went so conservative on D when his original plan was obviously working to perfection. I know as a KU fan you aren't used to seeing a team just milk the clock for the win in the 4th quarter because Mangino likes to run up the score on the bottomfeeders of the NCAA, but that is exactly what Mizzou did. Not once did I actually think MU was going to blow that win and that's why I said you weren't ever truly in a position to win the game.

MyChiefConcern
11-28-2007, 05:03 AM
The KU fans I talk to act like they have had this magical season where they could compete with any team in the nation right now but the truth of the matter is you played one big team this year and got physically dominated. Also the 4th quarter of that game was a COMPLETELY different Mizzou team. I don't know why Pinkel went so conservative on D when his original plan was obviously working to perfection. I know as a KU fan you aren't used to seeing a team just milk the clock for the win in the 4th quarter because Mangino likes to run up the score on the bottomfeeders of the NCAA, but that is exactly what Mizzou did. Not once did I actually think MU was going to blow that win and that's why I said you weren't ever truly in a position to win the game.

1) Well, as long as you didn't ever think KU was truly in a position to win the game, I guess I'm forced to admit the error of my ways. Silly me.

2) Yes, because as a KU football fan I must possess a complete lack of knowledge of the sport, right? I mean, my alma mater has been historically bad, so concepts such as "running out the clock" are all foreign to me.

Jesus.

3) How should Jayhawk fans have been acting heading into the Missouri game? Are you really jumping on us for being excited about the possibilities? Or, hell, still being excited about the possibilities?

Most KU fans worth their salt sat there through the craptastic years of Allen, at the very least. They're people who saw 64-0 at the hands of K-State in Mangino's first season, thanks to the abysmal talent with which he was left. And now, they've seen the dude's hard work and dedication pay off with an 11 win regular season, and a bright future potentially on the horizon.

How should we act? Should we not be excited? Should we just accept your opinion of where we belong on the college football food chain, or should we hope for the best for our program?

Eff that noise.

I'm not even going to bother addressing your assessment of next year's matchups. They're too ridiculous to even be worth the effort.

King_Chief_Fan
11-28-2007, 07:55 AM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/nov/27/mangino_named_big_12_coach_year/

Rep for the big guy. He definitly deserves it. Maybe he will also get National honors.

hold on there skippy....read all the news out there before crowning him King. He shared the award with who?....who? That is right, Gary Pinkel the guy who beat Mangino in the border wars.

Rep for Tiger coach. He deserves it. Watch him get his national honors when he beats OU and goes to national title game.

kepp
11-28-2007, 08:11 AM
I think Mangino and Pinkel are both deserving of it. I have to say though that I was much more surprised with Kansas' success this season than Mizzou's and for that, I'd give the knod to Mangino.

ChiefaRoo
11-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I think Mangino and Pinkel are both deserving of it. I have to say though that I was much more surprised with Kansas' success this season than Mizzou's and for that, I'd give the knod to Mangino.

I think Mangino deserves it. He's had a longer road to walk than Pinkel. Well, maybe he rode in a golf cart but you guys get the idea.

Skip Towne
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually, MU got their final TD with 12 seconds remaining in their 1st meeting with OU. That pulled them within 10.