PDA

View Full Version : Your CBS playoff system.

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Prolly a repost.

If they devised a playoff system how should they do it?

1. How many teams should be in it?
2. How would you add the bowl names in them?

etc....

Top 12 teams, Bowl name used for each game.

JBucc
12-01-2007, 10:22 PM
My ultimate dream of each conference's champion being put in a playoff will never happen, so I'd be happy with just taking the top 16 or whatever.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:27 PM
4 teams would be the most you can do with out shortening the season and starting the playoffs in november

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
16 teams - 11 conference champions, 5 at-large; seeded by BCS rankings

This year:

Dec 8, 15 - Home games for higher seeds, losers go back into bowl pool
Jan 1 - Football Final Four, rotating BCS Bowls (Fiesta and Orange this year)
Jan 7 - Sugar Bowl (essentially a third-place game)
Jan 8 - National Championship game (New Orleans)

So complicated.

irishjayhawk
12-01-2007, 10:32 PM

This year:

So complicated.

My brain matter is on the wall that was so complicated.

Dunit35
4 teams would be the most you can do with out shortening the season and starting the playoffs in november

Start the playoffs late December.

Do a 12 team playoff or something that would give the #1 and #2 teams a bye with major bowl names being used for each game and give the other smaller bowls to the other top teams.

Garcia Bronco

This year:

So complicated.

What about when the students have to take exams?

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
What about when the students have to take exams?You mean like those NFL-lite I-AA players who are unfortunate enough to be playing for a national title?

But yeah, standards are so strict for college athletes. There's no way there'd be any wiggle room for players from the 8 schools that would be practicing during finals.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Start the playoffs late December.

Do a 12 team playoff or something that would give the #1 and #2 teams a bye with major bowl names being used for each game and give the other smaller bowls to the other top teams.

So you are going to have college students play 16 games? I would think you need to pay them at that point.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
So you are going to have college students play 16 games? I would think you need to pay them at that point.You're fakeposting, right?

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
You mean like those NFL-lite I-AA players who are unfortunate enough to be playing for a national title?

It's not even the same league. D-2 and D-1 are even the same game in preparation. Like I said though...they started their playoffs two weeks ago. The winner depending on seating with play at most 14 games. And by exam time there are 4 teams left I believe.

Bearcat
12-01-2007, 10:37 PM
What about when the students have to take exams?

I-AA, II, and III all have playoffs; and most of them aren't at school for the football.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
You're fakeposting, right?

I am not. When people start talking about this it amuses me because they are looking at it from a fan perspective and totally neglect the fact that these are students. And they're students first.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
It's not even the same league. D-2 and D-1 are even the same game in preparation. Like I said though...they started their playoffs two weeks ago. The winner depending on seating with play at most 14 games. And by exam time there are 4 teams left I believe.The schedule wouldn't have ever been extended to 12 (and by extension, 14 for some teams) if the players being overworked was an issue.

By exam time, there would be a whopping 8 teams left in a 16-team playoff system. Four of those teams would be playing at home, and 50-something other teams would be preparing for their bowl games anyways.

Dunit35
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
So you are going to have college students play 16 games? I would think you need to pay them at that point.

I don't really care. This is the first season I have really gotten into college ball. I just remember last year in my coaching class the coach asking us to make a playoff system for college ball and this is what we all came up with.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I-AA, II, and III all have playoffs; and most of them aren't at school for the football.

There is a huge difference between bigtime college football. It's not even close it terms of investment and preparation.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I am not. When people start talking about this it amuses me because they are looking at it from a fan perspective and totally neglect the fact that these are students. And they're students first.Yes. Somebody think of the students.

I'm sure the Oliver Twists at Hawai'i would be willing to take their finals a week later if it meant they had an actual shot at a national title.

There is a huge difference between bigtime college football. It's not even close it terms of investment and preparation.Yeah, those guys at Delaware and Appy State are ****in' slackers.

Coach
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
There is a huge difference between bigtime college football. It's not even close it terms of investment and preparation.

Problem is, their playoff format recongizes an "official" Championship game, whereas in I-A, it doesn't, unless there are actually two teams undefeated.

More than two undefeated teams = "unofficial"
No undefeated teams = "unofficial"

That's how I see it in my book.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't really care. This is the first season I have really gotten into college ball. I just remember last year in my coaching class the coach asking us to make a playoff system for college ball and this is what we all came up with.

I like it the way it is....I would remove more of the subjective aspect of it and put more weight on stats.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Yes. Somebody think of the students.

I'm sure the Oliver Twists at Hawai'i would be willing to take their finals a week later if it meant they had an actual shot at a national title.

That's not really far to the rest of the student body, but I that you're right. Too bad Hawaii plays in a weak conference.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
That's not really far to the rest of the student body, but I that you're right. Too bad Hawaii plays in a weak conference.Yeah, because Hawai'i would turn down an invitation to the Pac-10 if they got it.

That's fair to the students who play their asses off for their university.

"Sorry, you're excluded from ever sitting at the big kids' table because your school wasn't part of our club fifty years ago."

Coach
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
That's not really far to the rest of the student body, but I that you're right. Too bad Hawaii plays in a weak conference.

That's the problem. People are going to "assume" that Hawaii gets in becuase of the weak conference, yet for arguement sakes, that Boise St. beat Oklahoma last year.

Could Boise beat Florida? Probably not, but there's always that shadow of doubt, considering that Boise team went undefeated, and did beat Oklahoma?

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, because Hawai'i would turn down an invitation to the Pac-10 if they got it.

That's fair to the students who play their asses off for their university.

The don't have the size or speed to hang in the SEC or ACC and probably the other 6 major conferences.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
That's the problem. People are going to "assume" that Hawaii gets in becuase of the weak conference, yet for arguement sakes, that Boise St. beat Oklahoma last year.

Could Boise beat Florida? Probably not, but there's always that shadow of doubt, considering that Boise team went undefeated, and did beat Oklahoma?
OU is weak team and that's why theybarely got beat by Boise State. That's an indictment on OU and the Big 12.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
The don't have the size or speed to hang in the SEC or ACC and probably the other 6 major conferences.Prove it.

Oh, what's that? You can't? Gee, if only there were a way to determine which teams were better... say, on a patch of grass or something...

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Prove it.

Oh, what's that? You can't? Gee, if only there were a way to determine which teams were better... say, on a patch of grass or something...

LMAO....so you think Hawaii could beat the top ten BCS teams? Or could consistently perform in the SEC, ACC, Big East, B12, Big11 or PAC-10? Come on.

Coach
12-01-2007, 10:54 PM
LMAO....so you think Hawaii could beat the top ten BCS teams? Or could consistently perform in the SEC, ACC, Big East, B12, Big11 or PAC-10? Come on.

Well, nobody gave Pitt a chance to beat WV, yet they just did.

How the hell can you actually know that? You can't, becuase the only way they could beat those teams is that a playoff format would solve the issue.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 10:54 PM
LMAO....so you think Hawaii could beat the top ten BCS teams? Or could consistently perform in the SEC, ACC, Big East, B12, Big11 or PAC-10? Come on.I can't hear you with all of that Cartel cock shoved down your throat.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, nobody gave Pitt a chance to beat WV, yet they just did.

How the hell can you actually know that? You can't, becuase the only way they could beat those teams is that a playoff format would solve the issue.\

I felt like they would beat WVU. It took a freak accident to do it, but I've watched both programs closely for over 15 years. Pitt has played spoiler a bunch.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I can't hear you with all of that Cartel cock shoved down your throat.
Awwww isn't that nice. Grow up. That's why nobody likes you.

Coach
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
\

I felt like they would beat WVU. It took a freak accident to do it, but I've watched both programs closely for over 15 years. Pitt has played spoiler a bunch.

Yeah, and I figured that could happen. It just that WVU was what, a 4 TD favorate to win this game?

Or how about the Application St over Michigan? Or Standford over USC? Or how about Louisiana-Monore (I think?) over Alabama?

The way this season went, which was very crazy, I would bet that the playoffs would be even more crazier.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Awwww isn't that nice. Grow up. That's why nobody likes you.Everybody loves me, damnit!

Also, please find some new material. You could give this whole "Holocaust denier/BCS defender" thing another few years if you did.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I felt like they would beat WVU. Well shiiiiiiiiiiiit, dude. Maybe we should just decide who's the champion based on who you feel deserves it.

Makes as much sense as the current system.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Everybody loves me, damnit!

Also, please find some new material. You could give this whole "Holocaust denier/BCS defender" thing another few years if you did.

Again..not funny...please...get some material.,

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Again..not funny...please...get some material.,That's not new material, GB.

As a matter of fact, that's MY MATERIAL from the post you're replying to.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah, and I figured that could happen. It just that WVU was what, a 4 TD favorate to win this game?

Or how about the Application St over Michigan? Or Standford over USC? Or how about Louisiana-Monore (I think?) over Alabama?

The way this season went, which was very crazy, I would bet that the playoffs would be even more crazier.
A playoff isn't going to get the best team either. As a person who's attended 12 bowl games in the past 15 years...it really is expensive. With a 12 team playoff...I just don't see people traveling and expending the money to go to all these games. When Virginia Tech played for the National Championship I spent 1300/person before we ate or drank a drop. I have spent as little as 600 to go to a gator bowl. Students go to these games too, they wouldn't be able to afford it. D-2 they load up the kids on a school bus and take them their.

Oh well... as long as the players have fun it really doesn't matter.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
With a 12 team playoff...I just don't see people traveling and expending the money to go to all these games.With the 16-team playoff I posted up there, it's:

Higher seed home game
Higher seed home game
Fiesta/Orange/Rose/Sugar Bowl on Jan 1st
National Championship on Jan 8th

Hardly a stretch.

Coach
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
A playoff isn't going to get the best team either. As a person who's attended 12 bowl games in the past 15 years...it really is expensive. With a 12 team playoff...I just don't see people traveling and expending the money to go to all these games. When Virginia Tech played for the National Championship I spent 1300/person before we ate or drank a drop. I have spent as little as 600 to go to a gator bowl. Students go to these games too, they wouldn't be able to afford it. D-2 they load up the kids on a school bus and take them their.

I understand that, but can't they at least try to make those games regionally before going to the semi-finals and finals which would be practically nationwide?

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I like it the way it is....I would remove more of the subjective aspect of it and put more weight on stats.
So you want is teams being forced to leave their starters in the entire game so that they can run up the score?

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM

So why does it work for basketball and all other sports but it can't work for D1 football? That makes zero sense.

Just like in basketball whoever wins is the best team and you really can't argue that because they won the title.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
So you want is teams being forced to leave their starters in the entire game so that they can run up the score?

Dude, those equations created for calculation that it weeds out the best teams. Multiply that times 7 different calculations and you have a very good indicator. Keeping in mind the criteria for their equations is subject. So there is a subjective aspect to the equations. I think you weigh the completely subjective polls less.

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I'd go with the winner of each of the 6 major conferences, let each of those figure out how they want to chose their winner. Then toss in 2 from the mid-major conferences, again, let them figure out which two they pick. There isn't really a need for Wild Cards, and this takes some writer/coach who has never seen team X play completely out of the picture.

Coach
12-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd go with the winner of each of the 6 major conferences, let each of those figure out how they want to chose their winner. Then toss in 2 from the mid-major conferences, again, let them figure out which two they pick. There isn't really a need for Wild Cards, and this takes some writer/coach who has never seen team X play completely out of the picture.

So who are the 6 major conferences and who are the 2 mid-major conferences?

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:32 PM
So why does it work for basketball and all other sports but it can't work for D1 football? That makes zero sense.

Just like in basketball whoever wins is the best team and you really can't argue that because they won the title.It's the money. You aren't going to fill the seats in a 12 team playoff. Hawaii students aren't going to Florida. It wouldn't be able to support itself on the expectations. 4-8 teams with a shortened season is the best you can do and still maybe keep it profitable from the roota to the toota.

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Yep and I would use the top 4 bowl games as playoff games and have a Final Four type venue for the championship

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd go with the winner of each of the 6 major conferences, let each of those figure out how they want to chose their winner. Then toss in 2 from the mid-major conferences, again, let them figure out which two they pick. There isn't really a need for Wild Cards, and this takes some writer/coach who has never seen team X play completely out of the picture.That could also work. Say,

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da. At least then you've got the 8-best conference champions with an actual chance, and everyone else can play in their own happy little Cotton/Holiday/Meineke Car Care/Armed Forces Bowls.

Hawaii students aren't going to Florida.Yeah. Florida has trouble filling the seats when they're playing buy games, right? They'd DEFINITELY struggle to sell tickets to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS.

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:35 PM
It's the money. You aren't going to full the seats in a 12 team playoff. Hawaii students aren't going to Florida. It wouldn't be able to support on the expectations. 4-8 teams with a shortened season is the best you can do and still maybe keep it profitable from the roota to the toota.

BS. They would make a ton more money with a playoff system because the TV rights would be HUGE for this. It would dwarf what they currently have now.

Coach
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
That could also work. Say,

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da.

The problem is though, what about Conference USA? Or the Mid-American Confernece? Mountain West?

If we were to take all the conferences in the D-I level, that is 11 teams total.

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep and I would use the top 4 bowl games as playoff games and have a Final Four type venue for the championship
I can't decided if the final 4 idea is a good one or a bad one.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
That could also work. Say,

Ohio State
LSU
Virginia Tech
USC
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Hawaii
BYU

Ta-da. At least then you've got the 8-best conference champions with an actual chance, and everyone else can play in their own happy little Cotton/Holiday/Meineke Car Care/Armed Forces Bowls.

Yeah. Florida has trouble filling the seats when they're playing buy games, right? They'd DEFINITELY struggle to sell tickets to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS.

They why bother playing Hawaii at all. They don't bring anything to the table.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
The problem is though, what about Conference USA? Or the Mid-American Confernece? Mountain West?I'd rather have representation from every conference, but 8 would be fine if it allowed for the best two non-BCS conference champions to have a shot, too.

Also, C-USA was terrible this year.

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
The problem is though, what about Conference USA? Or the Mid-American Confernece? Mountain West?

If we were to take all the conferences in the D-I level, that is 11 teams total.
That is my, let the mid majors figure out which 2 they are going to send. It is up to them to decide how and who.

Coach
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd rather have representation from every conference, but 8 would be fine if it allowed for the best two non-BCS conference champions to have a shot, too.

Also, C-USA was terrible this year.

As terrible as they have been, they do have a conference championship game that they play.

So seems to be fair to me that whoever wins that conference championship should have all the right to join in the playoff format.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
They why bother playing Hawaii at all. They don't bring anything to the table.So earning a shot means nothing to you?

I'm not talking about Hawaii in particular, because anyone who needs overtime to beat San Jose State is obviously not a complete team, but what about 13-0 Auburn in 2004? What did they do wrong?

Garcia Bronco
BS. They would make a ton more money with a playoff system because the TV rights would be HUGE for this. It would dwarf what they currently have now.

You still can't have the students playing that many games. 13 should be the most and 14 the max.

morphius
They why bother playing Hawaii at all. They don't bring anything to the table.
Simple, everyone loves to see Cinderella get her chance.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:41 PM
That is my, let the mid majors figure out which 2 they are going to send. It is up to them to decide how and who.No, that's unnecessary and leads to crazy politicking amongst conferences that don't care about the others. Just state that the 8 highest-ranked teams who are conference champions earn spots in the playoffs.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Simple, everyone loves to see Cinderella get her chance.

Not the people that get the money

Ultra Peanut
You still can't have the students playing that many games. 13 should be the most and 14 the max.What makes 15 games more egregious than 14?

dirk digler
You still can't have the students playing that many games. 13 should be the most and 14 the max.

I agree they need to shorten the season. Have only 10 game seasons and the most the championship teams would play would be 13.

morphius
Yeah, cutting out the San Jose School of the Blind game early in everyone's schedule would just be a killer for the league...

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Not the people that get the moneySo your entire position basically boils down to, "The Cartel wants to keep their cash away from everyone else, SO THERE."

Amazing.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:44 PM
So earning a shot means nothing to you?

I'm not talking about Hawaii in particular, because anyone who needs overtime to beat San Jose State is obviously not a complete team, but what about 13-0 Auburn in 2004? What did they do wrong?

Apparently not enough. USC was the better team that season and most agreed. They barely won their bowl game in unimoressive fashion.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Apparently not enough. USC was the better team that season and most agreed. They barely won their bowl game in unimoressive fashion.Yeah, all they did was win every single game they played. Losers.

I guess you think split "national titles" (2003) are awesome, too?

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
No, that's unnecessary and leads to crazy politicking amongst conferences that don't care about the others. Just state that the 8 highest-ranked teams who are conference champions earn spots in the playoffs.
Eh, not really. I just think the ranking system is a joke, as proven again this year when the #1 team in the league seems to keep losing. But that is why I was willing to let the mids figure out how they wanted to be represented.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
So your entire position basically boils down to, "The Cartel wants to keep their cash away from everyone else, SO THERE."

Amazing.

It's up to them how they want to make money. And I support that.

Eleazar
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm not the biggest follower of college football in history, but IMO of all the teams that have been jobbed or will be by the BCS, Auburn in 04 got it worst.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah, cutting out the San Jose School of the Blind game early in everyone's schedule would just be a killer for the league...
Those games give those schools exposure and money they wouldn't get on their own. If you want to only go to confernce play you could keep the games down, but something else will suffer.

Eleazar
Eh, not really. I just think the ranking system is a joke, as proven again this year when the #1 team in the league seems to keep losing. But that is why I was willing to let the mids figure out how they wanted to be represented.

I think this year is a lot like any other year, except we are missing 2 or 3 great teams that are normally at the top of the table

morphius
Not the people that get the money
Yeah, the money bowl system is what made this mess in the first place. Cracks me up that 1-AA has no trouble with having playoff's, but the big guys have to have their 6 win teams in a bowl game...

Ultra Peanut
Eh, not really. I just think the ranking system is a joke, as proven again this year when the #1 team in the league seems to keep losing. But that is why I was willing to let the mids figure out how they wanted to be represented.The thing is, though, it's not like C-USA really gives a shit about the WAC's best interests. I'm sure they could hammer out some system, but I don't see why the negotiations are necessary, and that would frankly just strengthen the divide between the haves and have-nots.

Coach
No, that's unnecessary and leads to crazy politicking amongst conferences that don't care about the others. Just state that the 8 highest-ranked teams who are conference champions earn spots in the playoffs.

Or what about this? Merge the WAC and the MWC. Sure that's 18 teams, but they can rotate the schedule around, and have their own conference championship game.

That'd make 10 instead of 11 conferences, and you can rank them by the BCS in terms of using them as slotting.

Eleazar
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
They ought to at least match up the top 4 teams in a simple playoff. Or the top 5 plus one wild card that the voters can use or something. There has to be some kind of definition for this process.

And they need to say, whichever way, all BCS conferences either need to have a championship game or not. Not a mix of the two.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Those games give those schools exposure and money they wouldn't get on their own. If you want to only go to confernce play you could keep the games down, but something else will suffer.Oh, NOW you care about the little guys.

The little guys who aren't even a part of Division I-A/FBS. The "little guys" IN the Football Bowl Subdivision don't deserve SHIT, though.

morphius
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Those games give those schools exposure and money they wouldn't get on their own. If you want to only go to confernce play you could keep the games down, but something else will suffer.
By showing that they are most likely a joke? Don't bitch about Hawaii getting a shot, and defend Florida International in the same discussion if you want to be taken seriously. :D

Garcia Bronco
Yeah, the money bowl system is what made this mess in the first place. Cracks me up that 1-AA has no trouble with having playoff's, but the big guys have to have their 6 win teams in a bowl game...

Because it's fun to go to the games...and more teams get to make more maony this way than if there was a playoff system

Garcia Bronco
Do any of you actually go to bowl games?

ArrowheadHawk
I would be fine if they had 5 bcs bowls and then one more game after that to decide the champ

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:50 PM

Yep though what is stupid is that a playoff system would make them a ton more money.

Ultra Peanut
Or what about this? Merge the WAC and the MWC. Sure that's 18 teams, but they can rotate the schedule around, and have their own conference championship game.

That'd make 10 instead of 11 conferences, and you can rank them by the BCS in terms of using them as slotting.That would never, ever, ever, ever, evvvvvvvver happen. BYU, Utah, and Colorado State would scream bloody murder.

Coach

Why would I want to blow $1500 where I can get the best seat in the house by my 40" HDTV and my recliner, with my cold brew for free?

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
By showing that they are most likely a joke? Don't bitch about Hawaii getting a shot, and defend Florida International in the same discussion if you want to be taken seriously. :D

LOL

Coach
That would never, ever, ever, ever, evvvvvvvver happen. BYU, Utah, and Colorado State would scream bloody murder.

And why would they scream bloody murder?

dirk digler

Hell I don't watch any of the bowl games except for the NC game. That is the only one that matters which IMO is the problem. Everyone knows the bowl system is dying because no one cares about the bowls or who is playing in them except the fans of those certain teams.

morphius
Because it's fun to go to the games...and more teams get to make more maony this way than if there was a playoff system
I just wonder how all of the 1-AA schools survive without the extra money...

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Do any of you actually go to bowl games?Yes. I love bowl games.

Read slowly: PLAYOFFS. AND. BOWLS. ARE. NOT. MUTUALLY. EXCLUSIVE.

A national championship playoff doesn't have to affect the Cotton/New Orleans/Holiday/International bowls at all.

ArrowheadHawk
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
:hmmm: that is an interesting point

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm...could get interesting

9:00 2nd QtrWashington (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=264) (4-8, 2-7 Pac-10) (12) Hawaii (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=62) (11-0, 8-0 WAC)

Wash 21
Hawaii 07

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:54 PM
And why would they scream bloody murder?Because they, along with New Mexico and Air Force, orchestrated the WAC split in an airport a decade ago so they could have more control over their own conference. You can't just toss conferences together willy-nilly.

It's like saying, "Let's just merge the Big XII and SEC!"

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM

They don't. Programs get cut all the time. It's not the same level D-2 doesn't have million dollar coaches, best talent recruiting, speed, size, preparation, investment....it's so much bigger in scale.

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Seriously why should I care what happens in the Rose Bowl when it doesn't decide shit?

The only game that matters right now is the NC game.

If you have a playoff system more people will become interested in what happens.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes. I love bowl games.

Read slowly: PLAYOFFS. AND. BOWLS. ARE. NOT. MUTUALLY. EXCLUSIVE.

A national championship playoff doesn't have to affect the Cotton/New Orleans/Holiday/International bowls at all.

It would still end up be too many games for the students.

Ultra Peanut
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
They don't. Programs get cut all the time. It's not the same level D-2 doesn't have million dollar coaches, best talent recruiting, speed, size, preparation, investment....it's so much bigger in scale.The fact that you call I-AA/FCS "D-2" shows exactly how much you know about college football.

It would still end up be too many games for the students.Oops, someone accidentally hit the repeat button!

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
It would still end up be too many games for the students.

They could it in 13-14 games. For example looking at MU's schedule they played 8 conference games so they have those + add 2 NC games.

Then if they were good enough they play in the Big 12 title game or maybe they should just get rid of that game and go by records.

Then to win the title you would play 3 extra games.

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
BTW MU just played their 13th game tonight and a bowl game makes 14.

To me the playing to many games is an excuse

Garcia Bronco
12-02-2007, 12:04 AM
They could it in 13-14 games. For example looking at MU's schedule they played 8 conference games so they have those + add 2 NC games.

Then if they were good enough they play in the Big 12 title game or maybe they should just get rid of that game and go by records.

Then to win the title you would play 3 extra games.

Right if you go to a conference only schedule. 14 games is about the max.

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Because they, along with New Mexico and Air Force, orchestrated the WAC split in an airport a decade ago so they could have more control over their own conference. You can't just toss conferences together willy-nilly.

It's like saying, "Let's just merge the Big XII and SEC!"

Fair enough. Then just add "Independents" and you got 12 conferences. :p

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM
And why would they scream bloody murder?

Those MWC schools broke away from the WAC in the first place. It was a 16 team cluster fill in the blank.

The best way would be a 16 team playoff. 11 autobids from all the conferences, set up some criteria like basketball does to keep conferences from forming. 5 at large teams. Basically you will have the 10 teams from the current BCS system plus another at large team. That would be a win-win plus you get the other conference champions in so at least they have a shot. And if you say that is too many teams look at the percents compared to the NCAA basketball tournament.
65/340 is 19%
16/120 is 13%

Now to the Finals argument. Finals week is the most overrated time of the whole school year, frankly I think its the easiest. But that is just IMO.

Basically a playoff would start about the 3rd week of December, that is typically finals week but the games wouldnt be till Saturday, most are done by Thursday and travel day is on Friday. Only problem I can see is winter graduation days. After that when does school get back in session about second or third week in January.

Here is how I would set the schedule up for this year:
First Round at campus sites
Semi Finals at Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, New Orleans
Final Four at Pasadena, Miami
National Championship at New Orleans

Garcia Bronco
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM
The fact that you call I-AA/FCS "D-2" shows exactly how much you know about college football.

Oops, someone accidentally hit the repeat button!

It's ranking is still the same. And to less of a scale that D-1

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Right if you go to a conference only schedule. 14 games is about the max.

We agree then.

Play 2 cupcake Non Conference games in the beginning

8 Conference games

1 Conference Championship game

3 playoff games to win NC

= 14 games which = what they are currently doing right now except for the Big Ten.

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
We agree then.

8 Conference games

= 14 games which = what they are currently doing right now except for the Big Ten.

That I can see, and it seems to be fair. And they don't have to necessarly play cup-cake Non-conference team. They can play another big-time conference just to boast their chances.

dirk digler
12-02-2007, 12:10 AM
That I can see, and it seems to be fair. And they don't have to necessarly play cup-cake Non-conference team. They can play another big-time conference just to boast their chances.

The bad thing is this just makes to much sense. In all seriousness though why can't Div 1 schools see how this makes alot of sense and they would make a ton more money on a playoff system?

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
The bad thing is this just makes to much sense. In all seriousness though why can't Div 1 schools see how this makes alot of sense and they would make a ton more money on a playoff system?

I think the bigger issue is how we can try to get all the D-I conferences into the playoff format?

I know there are 11 conferences, and the independents. So if we were to make the independents as a conference, that would be 12 total.

So 12 total conferences, would mean 4 playoff game, me thinks, with the number 1 to 4 ranking getting the bye in the first round.

And for the conference championship, I would leave that up to the conferences. Some perfer the championship game, some don't.

Once the conference champions are decided, throw in their BCS rankings as their determination of slotting.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I think the bigger issue is how we can try to get all the D-I conferences into the playoff format?

I know there are 11 conferences, and the independents. So if we were to make the independents as a conference, that would be 12 total.

So 12 total conferences, would mean 4 playoff game, me thinks, with the number 1 to 4 ranking getting the bye in the first round.

And for the conference championship, I would leave that up to the conferences. Some perfer the championship game, some don't.

Once the conference champions are decided, throw in their BCS rankings as their determination of slotting.

I would do independents by BCS rankings type formula. In all honestly it would just effect Notre Dame, Navy & Army really wouldnt factor in.

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't know the economics of it, except that there are huge payouts for the BCS bowl games... my best guess would be that the money would get spread around, which would immediately get rejected by the big conferences. A team like Ohio State would rather take their chances at one big payout than have to play 3 games to get a little more.

:shrug:

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't know the economics of it, except that there are huge payouts for the BCS bowl games... my best guess would be that the money would get spread around, which would immediately get rejected by the big conferences. A team like Ohio State would rather take their chances at one big payout than have to play 3 games to get a little more.

:shrug:

The thing is the schools dont get to keep that big paycheck. Its all thrown into the conference pot and split around.

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:27 AM
I would do independents by BCS rankings type formula. In all honestly it would just effect Notre Dame, Navy & Army really wouldnt factor in.

Sure, but I think that whoever have the best record in the independents, gets in. If they are tied, and if the two teams have previously played before, whoever won that game, gets in. If they haven't, then have them settle it on a one game playoff game on a neutral site. OR they can choose it to do on a coin flip.

Coach
12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
We agree then.

8 Conference games

Or here's another option.

1 Non-Conferece game

Play out your 8 conference games

Play out your conference championship game, and the other conferences that does not have a conference championhip game, play a non-conference team.

Then the top 16 teams on the BCS rankings get in the playoffs, which would mean 4 games in the 16 bracket playoff format to decide the NC.

Bearcat
12-02-2007, 12:57 AM
The thing is the schools dont get to keep that big paycheck. Its all thrown into the conference pot and split around.

Ah, that's right... it felt like I was missing something. They're probably still too conservative to ever change, and too greedy to spread any money around to the other conferences or spread it across more games, even if it would have the potential of a much bigger payout in the end.

Someone on tv once said that Fox's contract doesn't run out until 2010, so that's really the earliest we could hope for a change. And since I saw it on tv, it has to be true ;)