PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR - Peterson says his time with Chiefs has been a success

Hammock Parties
12-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Peterson says his time with Chiefs has been a success
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The team executive with the NFL’s second-longest playoff victory drought gestures emphatically out the window of his Arrowhead Stadium office toward the playing field, the site of his greatest triumphs but also his most bitter defeats.

Carl Peterson is recalling moments from playoff losses, those crucial instants that turned his time with the Chiefs to one of perpetual frustration.

His point: Many of the reasons the Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game in almost 14 years, since beating the Houston Oilers 28-20 on Jan. 16, 1994, are out of one man’s control.

“I’ll always remember something Lamar Hunt said to me after one of those playoff games,” Peterson said. “He said: ‘There will be people who say this loss was because of bad management. There will be people who say this was because of bad coaching. There will be people who say this was because of bad players, and there will be people who say this was because of bad ownership. I prefer to say it’s because of bad karma.’

“I know this: We’ve done everything we could to turn those L’s into W’s.”

Peterson is in rare territory for a general manager. Playoff success normally eludes a GM for only so long before changes are made. Only Mike Brown, now in his 17th season as the Cincinnati Bengals’ team president, has a longer current streak. The Bengals have yet to win a playoff game under Brown.

No small point: Brown also owns the Bengals.

It doesn’t appear relief is on the way anytime soon for Peterson, whose teams have gone 3-9 in the playoffs since he arrived in 1989. The 4-7 Chiefs lost to the hapless Raiders last Sunday and now need a series of improbable events, including a win today at Arrowhead against first-place San Diego, to get into the playoffs this season.

Through it all, Peterson has enjoyed unwavering support from the Hunt family. Clark Hunt, who declined an interview request for this story, is in charge now, but he’s given no indication he will veer from the management path set by his father, Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt.

In fact, by all indications, Hunt and his brother Daniel, also a member of the ownership group, are understanding and supportive of the rebuilding job the Chiefs are undertaking.

“If the Hunts have been unhappy with my job performance, he hasn’t indicated that to me,” Peterson said.

“We had our monthly management meeting on Monday here. Dan and Clark were here. We talked about everything as we always do: financials and marketing and sales and player personnel. We all felt sick about losing to the Raiders. Upset? Angry? Yes. Without any question. We had chances to win the game, and we didn’t do it.

“But always with regard to the Hunt family, the whole time I’ve been here it’s just been tremendously positive as far as the feedback, tremendously supportive. Their attitude was disappointed, certainly, but also, ‘Let’s get them next week.’

“Clark is a great deal like his dad. He’s not going to make an emotional decision.”

The Chiefs have perhaps made fewer emotional decisions than any other pro sports franchise. Jack Steadman ran the team’s daily operation for 29 years, first as general manager and later as president.

The team was successful in Steadman’s first decade, winning two AFL championships and a Super Bowl. It then fell into a drought that makes the current one appear mild. The Chiefs went 21 seasons without winning a playoff game and made only one playoff appearance in Steadman’s last 19 years.Still, he had to basically fire himself. Lamar Hunt wouldn’t do it. Steadman still might be the president had he not marched into Hunt’s office in 1988 in the middle of another rotten season and told him the Chiefs had to make a change.

“Lamar was always optimistic,” Steadman said. “He always believed better days were ahead and right around the corner. He always felt that if I wasn’t getting the job done, I’d know it and I’d tell him about it and I’d move on.”

If Hunt was willing to abide the endless losing seasons and the sea of empty seats at Arrowhead under Steadman, it’s little wonder he was thrilled with Peterson. The Chiefs have had their share of regular-season success and have sold virtually every one of Arrowhead’s seats for every game since 1991.

Steadman is no longer an active member of the Chiefs’ board, so his involvement isn’t what it once was. But he’s very familiar with Clark Hunt and how the Chiefs operate.

“Carl’s got two years left on his contract, and I would think Clark would deal with it when it’s time to deal with it,” he said.

He then added: “Clark’s his own man. He’s very different from Lamar. Clark’s not going to sit there and let the franchise deteriorate.”

Peterson was mostly patient in a 1½-hour interview. The only time he became defiant, arms folded across his chest, came at the suggestion he might not still be with the Chiefs if not for Hunt’s legendary patience.

“If this franchise was like Detroit or Arizona over the last number of years, I would fully expect I wouldn’t be here any longer,” Peterson said. “But this has not been like those places. We’ve had more success than those franchises. We’ve had a lot of seasons where we’ve had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. It just hasn’t happened for us, for whatever reason.

“I don’t feel like I should apologize for some of the successes we’ve had. I’d like to think the body of work merits us still being here.”

Among Chiefs fans, there’s plenty of frustration with Peterson. Outside of Kansas City, naturally, they look at him differently.

“Carl’s done a good job,” said Charley Casserly, a former general manager for Washington and Houston. “He’s probably not appreciated as much as he should be. He’s gotten that team to 13-3 three times. Kansas City has been, for the most part, a consistently competitive team. Playoffs can be a matter of luck sometimes, a matter of the bounce of the ball. You can’t hold it against a general manager when a 13-3 team doesn’t win in the playoffs.

“Carl would have no problem getting a job with another team if he was available. He would be at the top of everybody’s list.”

Success in the NFL is cyclical by nature. The league’s rules and procedures are set up to tear down the top teams and build up those at the bottom.

Teams such as Indianapolis and New England have defied the gravity for long periods of time. Each team has been a consistent playoff participant and found a way to win at least one recent Super Bowl.

Teams like the Colts and Patriots, and not the Detroits and Arizonas, will always be the measuring stick.

“In Carl’s situation, you’d have to say he’s done a tremendous job there,” former Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. “They’d had a lot of losing seasons before he got to Kansas City. If you look at what’s gone on there with the fan base and the game-day environment and the game-day production and all of those kinds of things, they’ve certainly been tops in the league for a long, long time.

“But wins and losses are what we’re all ultimately judged by. That line that separates the good teams from the bad teams is thin and getting thinner all the time, but fans don’t want to hear that. It’s becoming more and more the intangibles. What’s the difference between a good team and a bad team anymore? Sometimes it’s as small as a single injury or a little tougher schedule.

“It’s only a matter of time even for teams like Indianapolis and New England. Indy has had a nice run, but it’s not going to last. What happens to that team if they lose their quarterback? They’re 8-8. The same is probably true with New England.”

Peterson still has time for a happy ending. Two seasons after this one remain on his contract.

Peterson said this contract could be his last, though he’s never said that with finality.

Realistically, the Chiefs appear more than two years away from a run at the Super Bowl. Their transition from an offensive program under Dick Vermeil to a defensive program under Herm Edwards left them without many of the necessary components.

Peterson acknowledged it would be most difficult for him to turn the Chiefs over to someone else without getting them to a Super Bowl. But if that happens, don’t wait for an apology, because it’s not going to come.

“A lot of things are going to happen in the next 2½ seasons, some predictable and some unpredictable,” Peterson said. “Without trying to be immodest, there have been an awful lot more accomplishments.

“If you say otherwise, then I guess you’re saying that wins and losses are not appropriate to judge an individual by. In the broad spectrum, there are a heck of a lot more wins than losses, a heck of a lot more winning seasons than losing seasons. There are hundreds of ways to look at it. I understand we haven’t gotten to the Big Show. That’s irrefutable.

“If the Hunt family is happy with what we’ve accomplished here, that’s what really matters.”

Other observers might beg to differ.

“We’re all in the business for the same reason,” Reese said. “I don’t care who you are, even if your career is considered a success by many other standards, if you don’t have at least one Super Bowl ring, you’re not content and you’re not happy. That’s the one thing that gets you over the hump, the one thing that everybody wants to accomplish.

“And it only takes one.”

Hammock Parties
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Carl: IT'S NOT MY FAULT!

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Curious what is with all the Carl Peterson stories in the Star. Could this be the end of CP?

Mojo Rising
“If the Hunts have been unhappy with my job performance, he hasn’t indicated that to me,” Peterson said.

“We had our monthly management meeting on Monday here. Dan and Clark were here. We talked about everything as we always do: financials and marketing and sales and player personnel. We all felt sick about losing to the Raiders. Upset? Angry? Yes. Without any question. We had chances to win the game, and we didn’t do it.

The Hunts are just as responsible. Look at he order of the meeting. Financials 1st. The Hunts are his employer and he has served them well. He has delivered a profitable organization.

Where is the Hunts passion for more?

RustShack
I thought this was going to say Carl was quiting :(

ArrowheadHawk
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I call BS

JBucc
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm sure his bank account, filled with Chiefs fans hard earned money, would agree.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
This is just like Dick Vermeil's final press conference.

"Did we accomplish what we wanted to accomplish? No. But did we fail? Not even close."

No, Dick. You failed. Pull your head out of the sand.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
The other thing that makes me laugh is all the "glowing recommendations" from other NFL general managers. Like any of them would honestly badmouth a colleague and put their name on it. Come on.

EPodolak
12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
“I’ll always remember something Lamar Hunt said to me after one of those playoff games,” Peterson said. “He said: ‘There will be people who say this loss was because of bad management. There will be people who say this was because of bad coaching. There will be people who say this was because of bad players, and there will be people who say this was because of bad ownership. I prefer to say it’s because of bad karma.’

...and you can't change karma. Why even try? Pretty lame philosophy there. And no doubt a misquote of LH.

Bearcat
12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
“Clark is a great deal like his dad. He’s not going to make an emotional decision.”

Holy crap, let's spend the next 18 years evaluating the last 18 years, just to make sure it's not bad management.

Hate change much?

Note from IBM... stop talking, start doing.

siberian khatru
12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
19 seasons of different players, coaches and schemes, with one constant.

It's you, Carl.

the Talking Can
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
jesus christ

we've been a joke for a decade and he is obviously satisfied....

i hate that asshole

the Talking Can
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Herm and Carl are a perfect match....both think you can't do anything to win, it just happens or doesn't...

which makes them both losers

the Talking Can
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
the smug satisfaction of a franchise that sucks ass...

the Talking Can
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

petegz28
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
this town is about ready to turn their back on this football team. I think blackout threats for the first time in over a decade should send Hunt a clue.

the Talking Can
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
we need a coach and a GM that are dying to win...

Eleazar
12-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Herm and Carl are a perfect match....both think you can't do anything to win, it just happens or doesn't...

I think Carl's main failings are that he's an OK but not great talent evaluator, and that he's complacent when we need to get better. He thinks we get close and instead of adding the last pieces, he thinks we'll just set up the pins and roll it again, maybe they'll fall in our favor this time. He thinks that if the team is 80% of the way there, that's good enough, let's go out and try to win it.

Herm's problem is that he thinks you win a game by making the fewest mistakes, and not by making the most plays. And he never wants to gamble now, he always thinks, we can gamble now or we can gamble later if we have to, and then the other team never gives us another chance to try and win it.

They are both incompetent, Carl by thinking that winning in the playoffs is a crapshoot, Herm by thinking that every game is a crapshoot.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I say Carl is a ****ing moron.

MadMax
12-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Bullshit! Carl Peterson is a fine GM and a stand up guy. You people on here sell him short, he deserves better....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ;)

FloridaMan88
12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Peterson says his time with Chiefs has been a success
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

His point: Many of the reasons the Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game in almost 14 years, since beating the Houston Oilers 28-20 on Jan. 16, 1994, are out of one man’s control.

Good God this is pathetic... Dictator Carl blaming his playoff failures on BAD FREAKING KARMA??? BWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

It is called fielding incomplete teams Carl, and that is your greatest failure... you don't know how to build teams that are championship caliber in ALL phases of the game.

siberian khatru
12-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Herm's problem is that he thinks you win a game by making the fewest mistakes, and not by making the most plays. And he never wants to gamble now, he always thinks, we can gamble now or we can gamble later if we have to, and then the other team never gives us another chance to try and win it.

Well said, sir.

petegz28
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
14 years of bad karma???

MadMax
12-01-2007, 11:47 PM
14 years of bad karma???

And how do you get bad karma that bad??? :hmmm:

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I think Carl's main failings are that he's an OK but not great talent evaluator, and that he's complacent when we need to get better. He thinks we get close and instead of adding the last pieces, he thinks we'll just set up the pins and roll it again, maybe they'll fall in our favor this time. He thinks that if the team is 80% of the way there, that's good enough, let's go out and try to win it.

They are both incompetent, Carl by thinking that winning in the playoffs is a crapshoot, Herm by thinking that every game is a crapshoot.

Yep totally agree. I always hate it when Carl says we just need to get to the tournament like how the team plays in the regular season doesn't matter and maybe we will get a lucky break to win a game or 2 to get to the SB.

How about fielding a complete ****ing team so you don't have to depend on Karma.

FloridaMan88
12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
It is funny that Dictator Carl takes a shot at the Arizona Cardinals by saying at least the Chiefs aren't that miserable franchise since Arizona has won a playoff game more recently than Carl's bumbling Chiefs. I guess Arizona has experienced better "karma" than the Chiefs, using Carl's pathetic logic.

Take a look at the current list of longest current droughts without a playoff victory. Only the Bungholes and Detoilet have gone longer without a playoff win.

Maybe Clark Hunt should be considering this list and the company the Chiefs are keeping on this list.

NFL franchises with the longest playoff game victory drought
Team Last playoff game win Nr games won*
Cincinnati Bengals 1990 Wild Card Playoffs
Detroit Lions 1991 Divisional Playoffs**
Kansas City Chiefs 1993 Divisional Playoffs
Cleveland Browns 1994 Wild Card Playoffs
San Diego Chargers 1994 Conference Championships**
Buffalo Bills 1995 Wild Card Playoffs
Dallas Cowboys 1996 Wild Card Playoffs
Arizona Cardinals 1998 Wild Card Playoffs
Jacksonville Jaguars 1999 Divisional Playoffs**
Miami Dolphins 2000 Wild Card Playoffs
New York Giants 2000 Conference Championships**
Baltimore Ravens 2001 Wild Card Playoffs
Houston Texans never (franchise started in 2002) n/a
San Francisco 49ers 2002 Wild Card Playoffs
Oakland Raiders 2002 Conference Championships**
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2002 Super Bowl XXXVII**
Tennessee Titans 2003 Wild Card Playoffs
Green Bay Packers 2003 Wild Card Playoffs
Minnesota Vikings 2004 Wild Card Playoffs
New York Jets 2004 Wild Card Playoffs
Saint Louis Rams 2004 Wild Card Playoffs
Atlanta Falcons 2004 Divisional Playoffs**
Carolina Panthers 2005 Divisional Playoffs
Denver Broncos 2005 Divisional Playoffs**
Washington Redskins 2005 Wild Card Playoffs
Pittsburgh Steelers 2005 Super Bowl XL
Seattle Seahawks 2006 Wild Card Playoffs
Philadelphia Eagles 2006 Wild Card Playoffs
New Orleans Saints 2006 Divisional Playoffs
New England Patriots 2006 Divisional Playoffs
Chicago Bears 2006 Conference Championships**
Indianapolis Colts 2006 Super Bowl XLI

Eleazar
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Yep totally agree. I always hate it when Carl says we just need to get to the tournament like how the team plays in the regular season doesn't matter and maybe we will get a lucky break to win a game or 2 to get to the SB.

How about fielding a complete ****ing team so you don't have to depend on Karma.

The classic cases are the 13-3 teams that we didn't change anything with. You add in a first place schedule, and a year of age on the whole roster, you're going to sink in the standings if you don't try to get better.

Or, in the Vermeil era, we brought in a couple of cheapo free agents thinking we could fix a defense with only 1 or 2 worthy players by bringing the total to 4 or 5. You can't do that.

Championship teams are not even middle of the road on one side of the ball, you have to be approx. in the top third of the league on both.

FloridaMan88
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
He then added: “Clark’s his own man. He’s very different from Lamar. Clark’s not going to sit there and let the franchise deteriorate.”

This passage should give everyone a ray of hope.

dirk digler
12-01-2007, 11:55 PM
The classic cases are the 13-3 teams that we didn't change anything with. You add in a first place schedule, and a year of age on the whole roster, you're going to sink in the standings if you don't try to get better.

Or, in the Vermeil era, we brought in a couple of cheapo free agents thinking we could fix a defense with only 1 or 2 worthy players by bringing the total to 4 or 5. You can't do that.

Championship teams are not even middle of the road on one side of the ball, you have to be approx. in the top third of the league on both.

Yep both in 96 and 98 they didn't really do anything to improve the team except change the kickers. They pretty much stood pat thinking that they were good enough

MadMax
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
This passage should give everyone a ray of hope.

**** that I wanna full blown beam of hope! ;)

FloridaMan88
12-02-2007, 12:00 AM

"Did we accomplish what we wanted to accomplish? No. But did we fail? Not even close."

Funny that this was the only team that Vermeil coached at that he failed to win a conference championship and take the team to the Super Bowl.

Vermeil didn't fail in KC... Dictator Carl FAILED Vermeil

kcxiv
12-02-2007, 12:01 AM

DV has a SB ring as a coach, he could give a shit less if he wont the SB with the Chiefs.

88TG88
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTnq268y2ms&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTnq268y2ms&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mojo Rising
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Good God this is pathetic... Dictator Carl blaming his playoff failures on BAD FREAKING KARMA??? BWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

It is called fielding incomplete teams Carl, and that is your greatest failure... you don't know how to build teams that are championship caliber in ALL phases of the game.

It was the Owner who chalked it up to Karma. The same ownership who has extended CP and has not demanded more.

the Talking Can
12-02-2007, 12:14 AM
raping nuns on Christmas might create the kind of Karma that Carl is talking about...

FloridaMan88
12-02-2007, 12:16 AM
It was the Owner who chalked it up to Karma. The same ownership who has extended CP and has not demanded more.

This is why I have called Lamar Hunt a gutless loser when it comes to being committed to winning. I hope his son has a greater desire to win a Super Bowl, but I'm not optimistic.

BigMeatballDave
12-02-2007, 12:18 AM
raping nuns on Christmas might create the kind of Karma that Carl is talking about...LMAO

MadMax
12-02-2007, 12:20 AM

:hmmm: Kinda makes ya wonder if the Hunt family aquired their wealth with less than scrupulous means...I mean to blame it on bad karma, that bad karma has to come from somewhere? :hmmm:

Mojo Rising
12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
This is why I have called Lamar Hunt a gutless loser when it comes to being committed to winning. I hope his son has a greater desire to win a Super Bowl, but I'm not optimistic.

I think he had guts when he was trying to get into the NFL. I think it faded after that (just like the teams success.) He then tried to get America to like Soccer.

When CP is inducted into the Ring of Fame I hope they put him next to Steadman.

Eleazar
12-02-2007, 12:27 AM

Lamar Hunt is the reason the NFL is the #1 sport in America. He lived his whole life as a winner.

I just think he stuck by the wrong guy. It's not like he didn't want to win.

MadMax
12-02-2007, 12:29 AM
raping nuns on Christmas might create the kind of Karma that Carl is talking about...

It was not a nun it was a prostitute wearing a habit...And the sex was consensual damnit!

blueballs
12-02-2007, 12:29 AM
something must be a foot
Carl doesn't get press like this

Mojo Rising
12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Lamar Hunt is the reason the NFL is the #1 sport in America. He lived his whole life as a winner.

Wellington Mara in NY has more to lose than Lamar Hunt in KC by revenue sharing. How did Lamar Hunt make the NFL what it is today?

He did not live his whole life as a winner. Remember the late 70;s - early 80's? 90's? 00's?

He put Steadman in the Ring of Fame.

FloridaMan88
12-02-2007, 12:39 AM

Look I understand what Lamar Hunt meant to the NFL in terms of the merger, in terms of cities such as KC, Denver, San Diego, Miami, etc having not just NFL teams but being professional sports cities period... but as far as being an owner committed to winning... you can't really say Lamar was dedicated 110% to winning when he stuck by Jack Steadman for as long as he did and then stuck by Carl Peterson despite the lack of results.

Ari ümlaüt
12-02-2007, 02:01 AM

this is dead on.

Mecca
12-02-2007, 04:09 AM
You gotta love how that basically says he still refused to fire Steadman and he had to quit....like Carl would ever quit.

Al Bundy
12-02-2007, 04:30 AM
God.. I feel sorry for Chiefs fans, Carl's time in Kansas City has been a failure in large part for the fans.

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2007, 05:05 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/385630.html

HemiEd
12-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Curious what is with all the Carl Peterson stories in the Star. Could this be the end of CP?

The fans are making their displeasure known, the media and Chiefs management have noticed.

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Yeah, that playoff lose last year was due to bad karma. What a joke of a franchise -- from the head coach all the way to the owner.

**** the Chiefs.

petegz28
12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
When the GM starts blaming Karma I have to start thinking if I fire the guy or have him admitted to a medical facility!

the Talking Can
12-02-2007, 08:51 AM
When the GM starts blaming Karma I have to start thinking if I fire the guy or have him admitted to a medical facility!

imagine the head of GE:

"Well, we lost 599 Billion last quarter. Some will say it is because we tried to sell solar powered blenders. Some will say it is because I pocketed 598 Billion. Some will say it is because we burn paper money to heat our offices. I prefer to think it is Karma."

Hammock Parties
12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I desperately hope Whitlock takes King Carl to task for this "karma" bullshit. It's complete poppycock.

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I desperately hope Whitlock takes King Carl to task for this "karma" bullshit. It's complete poppycock.

The scary thing is that Carl actually believes that. I guess New England is going to win the SB this year not because they are a ****ing dominant team, but because they have good karma. The mindset at 1 Arrowhead is just ****ing frightening.

Hammock Parties
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
The next time the Chiefs do something good, a scathing "oh that was just good karma" column is definitely in order.

petegz28
12-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Well Boss....I guess you could say I didn't get my work done cause I was lazy....but I think it is more bad karma!!!

petegz28
12-02-2007, 09:02 AM
So does that mean all our wins and good draft picks and all that are just karma?

Hammock Parties
12-02-2007, 09:03 AM
So does that mean all our wins and good draft picks and all that are just karma?

Yep. King Carl doesn't want any of the credit for any of that stuff. It just happened.

Eleazar
12-02-2007, 09:04 AM
The chiefs front office reminds me of that commercial where the monkeys in suits are jumping up and down on conference room tables and lighting cigars with $100 bills

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 09:10 AM
The chiefs front office reminds me of that commercial where the monkeys in suits are jumping up and down on conference room tables and lighting cigars with $100 bills

The coaching staff is no panacea, either. You nailed it earlier -- Herm just wants to get into the 4th quater, and Carl just wants to get into the playoffs. And then it's all Karma. Those douchebags actually believe that.

kcfanXIII
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
**** carl. i have nothing more to add.

morphius
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Really, I honestly have trouble hating Carl. I know this isn't the most popular of feelings, but I do have to give him credit for changing the franchise around. His weakness is that he doesn't stand up to his coaches to force them to change one side of the ball, he needed to get in DV's face about the D much earlier, and the same with Herm now.

Now that being said, it is the Hunts responsibility to not keep someone around for so long when things are not improving, and worse yet, actually getting worse. The last extension should have never happened, DV and Carl should have walked off into the sunset together, and I would have been content.

If the Hunts promote Bill Kuharich to GM I'm going to probably have a few veins in my head explode.

CoMoChief
12-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I've been saying this all along and I will continue to say it.

Carl is one of the best team presidents in the NFL, hands down. I will give credit when it is due. What he did to change this franchise from what is was before he got here, to what it is now, is something not many other team presidents could accomplish. I am talking about more than just wins and losses. Arrowhead became one of the best places to watch ANY sporting event. He was a huge part in creating the atmosphere as it is today, even though it has been declining as of recent seasons. And Carl is still doing this by raising ticket and parking prices season after season it seems like. People are still coming to the games and filling up the stadium and Carl is taking advantage of it from the business side of it. If you are a Hunt, what's there not to like. The Hunts like to view it as us "having some of the most loyal fans in the NFL" while they sit back smiling as they get a few more bucks. In the NFL, especially now a days, is more and more about money.

But when it comes to player personnel decisions Carl is one of the biggest **** ups in the NFL. From Neil Smith to Rich Gannon to Donnie Edwards to John Tait, and maybe some more players that arent mentioned. His draft record is awful for the most part. He's always been a penny pincher, he's a bully to players and players agents when it comes to money so much that he just simply comes off as an arrogant asshole.

As far as the Hunts are concerned. They are business men. They're not football fans like you or me. They want to make money. Any owner does. But if you are making $50M a year in profit season after season consistently, you're probably gonna be happy as a business man and you're probably not gonna do much as far as management changes while you're having that kind of success.

If the Hunt's were much more than about money, they would have fired Carl a while back. If they wanted to win and go in another direction, that's what they would have done because thats what all the other owners have done in all of professional sports. If you want to win, and aren't doing it the way you are currently approaching things, you make changes, it's that simple. The Hunts havent done that. And there is really only ONE reason why to have someone like Carl around for this long........

It's all about money. Making $50M off of a $25K investment is to say the least a GREAT return on your investment. If the Chiefs weren't making money, Carl would be gone.

shaneo69
12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey, if you blame everything on bad karma, then you never have to hold anyone accountable.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
$2 for a can of sprite at the game, **** you carl and **** the chiefs, what a ****in rip, i decided to get a drink from the fountain

FringeNC
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Herm has certainly had a lot of bad Karma lately...

Thig Lyfe
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Carl is the worst.

Coach
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Today was been a smashing success, eh Carl?

petegz28
12-02-2007, 04:49 PM
18 years of no super bowl appearences is a tradition not bad karma.