View Full Version : Orange Bowl picks KU - The Capital-Journal

Lzen
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
http://cjonline.com/stories/120307/haw_222349859.shtml
Jayhawks will face Hokies in Miami
By Tully Corcoran
The Capital-Journal
Published Monday, December 03, 2007

LAWRENCE — The juices splashed and ran down James McClinton's chin in this, the ultimate celebratory move for a defensive lineman.

Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins walked into KU's meeting room with a bag of oranges, and everybody knew. The Jayhawks were Orange Bowl-bound, and McClinton could think of only one way to celebrate. He caught the orange, jammed it into his mouth and chomped off a bite bigger than Miami.

Kansas has an allotment of 17,000-18,000 tickets, on sale at orangebowl.org.

"I thank the Lord for this game," he said.

And that was the general sentiment. For a program that has never been to a BCS bowl and hasn't been to the Orange Bowl since 1969, Sunday's announcement, coming at the tail end of the winningest season in Kansas history, was hard to take for granted. Especially for tight end Derek Fine, who committed to what once was a moribund program and was on the team in 2003 when the Jayhawks went to another Florida bowl, the Tangerine Bowl.

"I like oranges better," Fine said. "They taste better, they're bigger."

Win or lose, playing in the Orange Bowl means the 2007 Jayhawks will go down as one of the top three teams in Kansas history, alongside the Orange Bowl teams of 1947 and 1968. For a program that five years ago was a conference laughingstock, 2007 has been one giant leap.

"It was just great to stand in that room and watch those kids when they found out," KU coach Mark Mangino said. "It was like when my kids were knee-high and it was Christmas morning."

The selection pairing the No. 8 Jayhawks (11-1) against No. 3 Virginia Tech (11-2), as always, is not without controversy. And it didn't spare any hearts, especially those in Columbia, Mo. Missouri, which beat Kansas and is ranked a spot higher in both major polls, lost to Oklahoma on Saturday night in the Big 12 championship game. Sunday, fell out of the BCS entirely, accepting a bid to the Cotton Bowl.

"Missouri and Kansas were basically back-to-back next to each other," said Orange Bowl CEO Eric Poms. "With the result of the (Big 12 championship) game, having a two-loss team versus a one-loss team was probably the biggest thing we looked at. We knew whatever way we went, you could make a case for the other side."

There were no tears shed in Lawrence, where Joe Mortensen was asked if he felt sorry for the Tigers.

"No," he said.

There also wasn't much suspense in Lawrence, not within the Kansas athletic department, anyway.

Since Saturday, Perkins had been working the phones, literally all day and all night, talking to bowl representatives, ironing details, scenarios and, to a lesser extent, making KU's case. He felt all along KU would wind up in a BCS bowl. He just didn't know which. Heading into Saturday's games, KU was a candidate for the Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar bowls. Once Illinois qualified for BCS play, KU was eliminated from Rose Bowl contention. Once Hawaii qualified, the Sugar Bowl was out. Then game the Orange Bowl, which got to choose its teams ahead of the Fiesta Bowl.

"The Orange Bowl was very strong, really pursuing us," Perkins said. "We were talking quite often, regularly through the whole process.

"The good thing that I was pleased about was everybody was interested in Kansas. That was the most important thing."

If the Orange Bowl hadn't chosen KU, the probability the Fiesta Bowl would have was "very strong," Perkins said. Instead, the Fiesta took West Virginia and Oklahoma. Since the BCS rules allow just two teams from one conference into its bowls, that left out Missouri, which brings up the song that has played all season at KU, a tune about the Jayhawks' schedule, which includes no wins against teams ranked in the final Top 25 and ranks among the softest in the nation.

Perkins said the schedule was never part of the discussion.

"We don't have any argument," Perkins said. "We're in the BCS. So we have no argument. Our schedule didn't bother us. We don't have to be apologetic about anything. What people don't realize is schedules are made a long way out, so you don't realize how things are gonna happen, and we had no problem with our schedule. We're playing in the Orange Bowl."

As it is designed to do, the Orange Bowl will create an intriguing matchup between the nation's No. 4 defense and Kansas' No. 6 offense. But that is a discussion for another day.

Sunday, the Jayhawks were soaking the moment, and the orange juice.

"It's been a great journey here for my five years," senior running back Brandon McAnderson said. "The opportunity that's in front of us is huge."

Tully Corcoran can be reached at (785) 295-5652 or tully.corcoran@cjonline.com.

Reerun_KC
12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Ah this feels good! Rock chalk Jayhawk!

bobbything
12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
KU in January is a bigger name than MU in January. You couple KU basketball playing Boston College (an ACC school), at Boston College on Jan. 5th, with KU playing VT (another ACC school) on the 3rd, and that's a bigger week than MU taking on the Roo's at the same time.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
"For a program that five years ago was a conference laughingstock, 2007 has been one giant leap"

We're still laughing. Go Hokies!!!

Ari ümlaüt
12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Gracias Bronco underestimates the power of the Fighting Manginos.

Silock
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
You know, all KU really has to do to justify the pick is beat VT.

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
That Lew Perkins stuff confirms the scuttlebutt yesterday. Some Tiger fans are blaming Mike Alden for being outhustled by his rival.

As far as the Orange pointing to the 1 loss vs. 2, that's a crock. Both teams lost to only one school. KU's one loss was to MU. MU earned its second loss because it beat KU.

MU won the head-to-head with KU, finished higher in the Big 12 North standings, has higher poll and BCS rankings and a much, much higher SOS.

No matter how the Orange spins it, there's no logic to their decision. They just wanted KU, regardless of everything else. Lew did a great sales job. Selling ice cubs to eskimos is illogical, too, but if you can pull it off ...

Again, this isn't bagging on KU. They didn't do anything wrong. It's bagging on the system and the Orange reps.

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM

Bottom line.

And if MU gags vs. Arkansas, they're gonna look really bad.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
That Lew Perkins stuff confirms the scuttlebutt yesterday. Some Tiger fans are blaming Mike Alden for being outhustled by his rival.

As far as the Orange pointing to the 1 loss vs. 2, that's a crock. Both teams lost to only one school. KU's one loss was to MU. MU earned its second loss because it beat KU.

MU won the head-to-head with KU, finished higher in the Big 12 North standings, has higher poll and BCS rankings and a much, much higher SOS.

No matter how the Orange spins it, there's no logic to their decision. They just wanted KU, regardless of everything else. Lew did a great sales job. Selling ice cubs to eskimos is illogical, too, but if you can pull it off ...

Again, this isn't bagging on KU. They didn't do anything wrong. It's bagging on the system and the Orange reps.

I think it was a little bit of both. Perkins is a Helluva AD and salesman, IMO. The other thing I took from that article is that the Orange decided that MU getting crushed by OU was another factor in the decision to go with KU. Perhaps if the game were close and MU still had lost, the Orange would have picked MU. I'm not saying it is fair, but MU had their chance on Saturday night and they really blew it. Just like KU had their chance a week prior and blew, albeit not nearly as badly. If KU had been the one going to the Cotton and MU to the Orange, I would not have complained.

Skip Towne
12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
"For a program that five years ago was a conference laughingstock, 2007 has been one giant leap"

What the hell's a Hokie?

petegz28
12-03-2007, 09:23 AM
ok if 1 loss vs 2 loss is a big deal why is MU #7 and KU #8?

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think it was a little bit of both. Perkins is a Helluva AD and salesman, IMO. The other thing I took from that article is that the Orange decided that MU getting crushed by OU was another factor in the decision to go with KU. Perhaps if the game were close and MU still had lost, the Orange would have picked MU. I'm not saying it is fair, but MU had their chance on Saturday night and they really blew it. Just like KU had their chance a week prior and blew, albeit not nearly as badly. If KU had been the one going to the Cotton and MU to the Orange, I would not have complained.

I just don't see how style points in the title game that one team didn't qualify for supersede the result of a head-to-head meeting. OU is a superior team. KU benefits from not beating an MU team that earned the right to lose to the best team in the Big 12.

That's apparently what happened. But it shouldn't. Hence my railing against the system and the bowl reps.

If that's how it works then, if MU ever has a chance to run up the score on KU, don't complain.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
What the hell's a Hokie?

It's a nickname and a cheer.

We are actually called the VPI Fighting Gobblers.

kepp
12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
No, he really isn't.

Anyong Bluth
12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
It's not the loss record. It's that MU got shellacked in the 2nd game vs OU.

Blame a few things on MU not getting a BCS, even though they deserve it.

1st- no conf. can have 3 BCS teams.
2nd - Ill. getting the Rose b/c the Rose typically takes Big 10 & Pac-10 teams. You want to complain about a team getting a BCS game, look to Ill, which lost 3 games.
3rd - Fiesta wasn't going to take MU b/c OU was already going there, no point to watch a 3rd game.
4th - Fiesta would have probably liked to see a KU-OU game, but the ratings will be much better by pitting Big 12 schools vs East Coast opponents.

I think Lew did a good job of selling the team, but reality was Mizzou got jumped simply b/c their play on Saturday left many with a sour taste in their mouth.

After the NC game, the rest is simply a popularity contest. No different than the pollsters voting...

The Bowl Selection Committees clearly thought KU was the more attractive squad... why? You'll have to ask them.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Jabba no win.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
ok if 1 loss vs 2 loss is a big deal why is MU #7 and KU #8?

In what poll? AP? AP doesn't count in the BCS. FYI, MU is #6 in the BCS. ;) But in regard to the intent of your post, yes, MU is ranked higher. Perhaps the Orange did not feel that MU was really any better than KU. Yeah, I know they won the head to head. I'm not saying I agree. Just speculating on what they might have been thinking.

|Zach|
12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
VT is a top 40 team.

Extra Point
12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Jabba no win.

Jabba eat bigga Hokie.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM

I'd wish you luck against the 109s, but you won't need it.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I just don't see how style points in the title game that one team didn't qualify for supersede the result of a head-to-head meeting. OU is a superior team. KU benefits from not beating an MU team that earned the right to lose to the best team in the Big 12.

That's apparently what happened. But it shouldn't. Hence my railing against the system and the bowl reps.

If that's how it works then, if MU ever has a chance to run up the score on KU, don't complain.

Oh, I don't disagree. I don't think it is fair. That is exactly why we need a playoff.

Garcia Bronco
Jabba eat bigga Hokie.

LOL. :)

siberian khatru

They're up to 74 in the final SOS rankings. MU's up to 3. :)

Virginia Tech is 4.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
So I just bought this house and I live next door, here in Denver, to a smokin hot KU alum. I am a VT alum...how can I work this to my advantage?

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM

Thank's Fraz. It's ashame we aren't playing the Tigers.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Thank's Fraz. It's ashame we aren't playing the Tigers.

Unfortunately, you're only the 109s' SECOND quality opponent. Were that not the case, it would be us. We all know what happens when they play good teams.

The good news? You can go ahead and order that Orange Bowl championship t-shirt now.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
The good news? You can go ahead and order that Orange Bowl championship t-shirt now.
I'm loving every, single second of your sour grapes.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
So I just bought this house and I live next door, here in Denver, to a smokin hot KU alum. I am a VT alum...how can I work this to my advantage?
definetly setup a bet with her

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I wonder how many years it's been since they played a defense like VT has.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Yep. There are several MU that have to make themselves feel better about this by dogging KU. I find it amusing. And I even admit that MU got screwed over in this deal.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Scoreboard, KUnt.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Scoreboard, KUnt.
What does that have to do with the Orange Bowl and the Cotton Bowl?

You should be pissed off at the system because MU got royally fooked in the butt.

Edit: Illinois is a prime example of the B(C)S debacle as well.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
definetly setup a bet with her

Hmmmmm I'll have to think about this. My first thought ws to put up a neon Virginia Tech sign...that flashes in her window.....but you might be on to something. :)

Frazod
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
What does that have to do with the Orange Bowl and the Cotton Bowl?

You should be pissed off at the system because MU got royally fooked in the butt.

Just reminding you of KU's place in the world, regardless of how well your AD sucked off the Orange Bowl guys or whatever other kickbacks and shenanigans went on behind the scenes. MU is the better team, ranked higher, and beat you on a neutral field head-to-head.

The system is a sick, pathetic joke, but no bigger a joke than KU's schedule or ridiculous claims to success.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Just reminding you of KU's place in the world, regardless of how well your AD sucked off the Orange Bowl guys or whatever other kickbacks and shenanigans went on behind the scenes.
I'll put it to you this way, the OB committee thinks KU is a bigger national draw in January. And I don't disagree. KU has a nationally televised basketball game against an ACC team that same week. Moo has the Roo's.

You have a legit gripe, however, as I said in another thread, there's no accounting for taste when it comes to an at-large bid. Piss and moan all you want, the committee didn't think MU was a big enough draw in January.

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Just reminding you of KU's place in the world, regardless of how well your AD sucked off the Orange Bowl guys or whatever other kickbacks and shenanigans went on behind the scenes. MU is the better team, ranked higher, and beat you on a neutral field head-to-head.

The system is a sick, pathetic joke, but no bigger a joke than KU's schedule or ridiculous claims to success.

:deevee:

you all played your A game to beat our C game and had to hold on for the win. get over yourself.

OU bent you over and spanked you. Now Arkansas is going to put on the strap-on and take you all to the woodshed to finish you off.

|Zach|
12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I'll put it to you this way, the OB committee thinks KU is a bigger national draw in January. And I don't disagree. KU has a nationally televised basketball game against an ACC team that same week. Moo has the Roo's.

You have a legit gripe, however, as I said in another thread, there's no accounting for taste when it comes to an at-large bid. Piss and moan all you want, the committee didn't think MU was a big enough draw in January.
You seem to think MU fans are the only ones with this take.

The college football world disagrees with you.

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 10:37 AM

you all played your A game to beat our C game and had to hold on for the win. get over yourself.

There it is! KU fan always comes when they lost with "we beat ourselves".

No one has ever beaten Kansas at anything. They have only beaten themselves.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
You seem to think MU fans are the only ones with this take.

The college football world disagrees with you.
The "college football world" thinks that the "best" team didn't get in. And I completely agree with that. The best team didn't get in. You seem to think all KU fans think that the decision was just. I think the system is a joke. However, if you're going to have at-large bids, there's nothing there that says you take the "best" team. The Orange Bowl looked at a million different things when they made their decision.

I pointed out one of the main reasons why MU was snubbed. Regardless of what the "college football world" thinks, much of it has to do with the time, the place, the ACC, and $$.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM

OU bent you over and spanked you. Now Arkansas is going to put on the strap-on and take you all to the woodshed to finish you off.

dude we gave you 140+ yards in penalties, played without one of the best TE's in the game in Coffman and you still lost.

Tony Temple made the KU D his bitch.

KU had their collective jock strap laying all over the field.

Anyong Bluth
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I think a lot of people have noted MU not getting the BCS bid, and after a few days, they will forget about it, and the focus will shift to the matchups.

BCS committee or the bowls picked KU for some reason, and I don't think they're lost on the idea of making the most money and getting the highest ratings.

Instead of KU fans sounding off, why don't MU fans explain to me why they think they got passed over?

KevB
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm I'll have to think about this. My first thought ws to put up a neon Virginia Tech sign...that flashes in her window.....but you might be on to something. :)

This is easy. Have you talked to her yet? Tell her if KU wins, you'll take her out to dinner at the restaurant of her choice. If VT wins, she takes you out. Win-win for you, 'cause you get a date out of it either way. Cook each other dinner is another option.

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
This is easy. Have you talked to her yet? Tell her if KU wins, you'll take her out to dinner at the restaurant of her choice. If VT wins, she takes you out. Win-win for you, 'cause you get a date out of it either way. Cook each other dinner is another option.

I never see her. It's one of those neighborhoods where people park in their garage nad you never see them. I know her first name and that see went to KU. Her dad told me she went to KU when I met them while getting some items delivered.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Silly little KUnt. Your "C" game? Newsflash - THAT'S ALL YOU'VE GOT. Worked great against your high school non-conference schedule and Baylor. But against a real team? Not so much.

Yes, OU spanked us. The Jayhoax were spared that indignity this year - it'll be fun to watch them beat you even worse next season. I know that you know they would have done the same to you, although it's amusing to watch you idiots bluster to the contrary.

And as for Arkansas, who knows what will happen? All I know is, the 109s had the chance to take take us to the woodshed and got beat down and exposed.

Scoreboard, loser.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
It doesn't matter KU can have the game, doesn't mean they will come close to winning. MU will be a pissed off team against Arkansas, bring it on and start a run next year while ku will try to stay at .500 with their new schedule.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Exactly....maybe try to get together for the game even if others are there, good times

Skip Towne
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I doubt if she'll lower her standards.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM

arrowhead hawk is that you?

KU played its C game hahaha, love it

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll try. She really is a 9 or 10. :)

Garcia Bronco
12-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I doubt if she'll lower her standards.

That's one of my skills...I can get any woman to lower her standards. :)

CupidStunt
12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
VT is a top 40 team.

:LOL:

KC_Connection
12-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Haha, so many MU whiners. I love it.

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, OU spanked us. The Jayhoax were spared that indignity this year - it'll be fun to watch them beat you even worse next season. I know that you know they would have done the same to you, although it's amusing to watch you idiots bluster to the contrary.

Scoreboard, loser.

OU would have beaten any team in the country the way they played the 2nd half on Saturday and no, I don't think KU would have beat them regardless.

I could really give a shit what you think about KU's game. I went to every game except A&M this year and know quite a bit about football for me to conclude that KU was not on top of it's game against you tools. You all were on quite a high after beating us, so it must be real hard for you all to look like complete chumps again. Enjoy the Cotton Bowl douchebag!

Missouri = America's bitch...seriously, nobody but people who live in Missouri have any respect for you jackasses

Frazod
12-03-2007, 01:48 PM
OU would have beaten any team in the country the way they played the 2nd half on Saturday and no, I don't think KU would have beat them regardless.

I could really give a shit what you think about KU's game. I went to every game except A&M this year and know quite a bit about football for me to conclude that KU was not on top of it's game against you tools. You all were on quite a high after beating us, so it must be real hard for you all to look like complete chumps again. Enjoy the Cotton Bowl douchebag!

Missouri = America's bitch...seriously, nobody but people who live in Missouri have any respect for you jackasses

Just because your weasel whore of a AD sucked off the Orange Bowl guys doesn't mean anybody gives a shit about wasteland Kansas either, KUnt. I was at the MU/KU game and saw what we did to you. Your pussy excuses are almost as pathetic as you are. YOU LOST. You suck. We're better, and you know it.

And enjoy getting creamed in the Orange Bowl by a real team (you LOSE to real teams, remember?). I know I'll love it.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Silly little KUnt. Your "C" game? Newsflash - THAT'S ALL YOU'VE GOT. Worked great against your high school non-conference schedule and Baylor. But against a real team? Not so much.

And as for Arkansas, who knows what will happen? All I know is, the 109s had the chance to take take us to the woodshed and got beat down and exposed.

Scoreboard, loser.

Ok, so OU pounded MU and MU slipped past KU. That means OU would have beaten KU even worse? That's sound logic.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
MU will be a pissed off team against Arkansas.....

Yep, MU sounds pissed. ROFL

As the news began to filter through the second floor hallways at the Reynolds Alumni Center on Sunday night, the grim faces of many Mizzou athletes told the story of the night.

“It’s just a shame we got locked out,” said All-America tight end Martin Rucker. “How does that happen? Mathematically, logically, it just doesn’t make sense.”

By the time the Fox network BCS bowl selection show began at 7 p.m., Rucker and his teammates had already left the building. They couldn’t bear to watch it. They had been instructed to take the high road and go with the company line that they’re “excited” to be Cotton Bowl bound.

But Rucker, the senior who has seen Missouri football grow from inconsequential to important, couldn’t play the game. In the course of 48 turbulent hours, he’d watched his team go from No. 1 in the country with a legitimate shot at a national championship bid, to disappointed and disgusted outsiders with their noses pressed to the glass watching the BCS dance cards being handed out.

Someone asked if this obvious slight was further proof of how badly college football’s top division needs a playoff system to decide its national champions and perhaps prevent a situation like this where Mizzou was unjustly left on the outside looking in.

“I don’t know if you need a playoff system to see that it doesn’t make sense that one team (Illinois) lost three games and lost to you, and you only lost two games, and they’re going to a BCS game and you’re not,” said Rucker with a resigned shrug of his shoulders. “I don’t think we need a playoff system to understand that, do we?”

You could see the disappointment in their faces as the players got the
official word and most of them quietly left the alumni center without saying a word. “I have a bunch of players who have a bunch of frowns,” said Pinkel.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok, so OU pounded MU and MU slipped past KU. That means OU would have beaten KU even worse? That's sound logic.

Slipped past? That's rich. Only a gift touchdown drive from the refs made it close. That and the fact that Pinkel foolishly let his foot off your throats. There was his biggest mistake.

Of course, I guess your "sound logic" is that Kansas would have beaten Oklahoma because they crushed Baylor, right? :whackit:

beer bacon
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Haha, so many MU whiners. I love it.

To the 'ship!

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Just because your weasel whore of a AD sucked off the Orange Bowl guys doesn't mean anybody gives a shit about wasteland Kansas either, KUnt. I was at the MU/KU game and saw what we did to you. Your pussy excuses are almost as pathetic as you are. YOU LOST. You suck. We're better, and you know it.

And enjoy getting creamed in the Orange Bowl by a real team (you LOSE to real teams, remember?). I know I'll love it.

I know we lost, but we didn't play our best game. I know it, you know it, but can't accept it.

Enjoy Dallas jackoff...I'll be watching Arkansas beat the piss out of you in South Beach

Frazod
12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I know we lost, but we didn't play our best game. I know it, you know it, but can't accept it.

Enjoy Dallas jackoff...I'll be watching Arkansas beat the piss out of you in South Beach

Keep it up with the pussy excuses, you pathetic KUnt. You and your "best game" aren't shit.

But you sure thought it would be, didn't you? You strolled into Arrowhead thinking your undefeated mighty Jayhawks would sweep aside the poor little tiggers and you would gloat and bask in your magnificent glory. But instead, your dreams just curled up in a ball and died. And I was there to see it, hear it, FEEL IT. And I GOT OFF ON IT. It was so supremely satisfying that I can't even express how much I loved it.

How does that make you feel? ROFL

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Slipped past? That's rich. Only a gift touchdown drive from the refs made it close. That and the fact that Pinkel foolishly let his foot off your throats. There was his biggest mistake.

Of course, I guess your "sound logic" is that Kansas would have beaten Oklahoma because they crushed Baylor, right? :whackit:
KU never had the lead ever that game and i think every tiger fan and player has a reason to be pissed, kansas players know they were real lucky to get what they got. Let's see if they pull a herm like the chiefs did last year and lay an egg.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
And I was there to see it, hear it, FEEL IT. And I GOT OFF ON IT. It was so supremely satisfying that I can't even express how much I loved it.
It was your own little NC, wasn't it?

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Keep it up with the pussy excuses, you pathetic KUnt. You and your "best game" aren't shit.

But you sure thought it would be, didn't you? You strolled into Arrowhead thinking your undefeated mighty Jayhawks would sweep aside the poor little tiggers and you would gloat and bask in your magnificent glory. But instead, your dreams just curled up in a ball and died. And I was there to see it, hear it, FEEL IT. And I GOT OFF ON IT. It was so supremely satisfying that I can't even express how much I loved it.

How does that make you feel? ROFL

i don't really feel one way or another about it, but it certainly tells me that you are pretty ****ing pathetic

Lzen
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM

MU fan - we didn't allow the other team to be close. The refs did. We didn't commit those obvious penalties. :rolleyes:

Lzen
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
KU never had the lead ever that game and i think every tiger fan and player has a reason to be pissed, kansas players know they were real lucky to get what they got. Let's see if they pull a herm like the chiefs did last year and lay an egg.

You guys seriously don't think Reesing throwing a couple passes inaccurately (passes he normally makes with laser precision) that were picked and our kicker having his worst game had a little bearing on the outcome. Obviously, our defense could not handle MU's high powered offense. But our offense turned it over twice inside the MU 25 yard line and missed 2 FGs. You guys had a good game plan and executed it pretty well. But make no mistake, KU made some adjustments themselves and made a game of it. It was just too little, too late.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
i don't really feel one way or another about it, but it certainly tells me that you are pretty ****ing pathetic

Sure you don't. LMAO

kcpasco
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
You guys seriously don't think Reesing throwing a couple passes inaccurately (passes he normally makes with laser precision) that were picked and our kicker having his worst game had a little bearing on the outcome. Obviously, our defense could not handle MU's high powered offense. But our offense turned it over twice inside the MU 25 yard line and missed 2 FGs. You guys had a good game plan and executed it pretty well. But make no mistake, KU made some adjustments themselves and made a game of it. It was just too little, too late.

Of course it was Reesing throwning inaccurate passes and not the Missouri defenders making good plays

kcpasco
12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
The Reesing INT in the end zone was accurate the Missouri defender just read it and made a good play

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Ever hear about the defense making good plays? They almost got another INT in that game as well. We also went for it on 4th down when we couldve kicked a gimme fg, the game wouldve been out of reach anyway. MU handled them, it was too late for KU, and they shutdown that star RB of KU's.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Of course it was Reesing throwning inaccurate passes and not the Missouri defenders making good plays

That is a good point. But let me throw this point back at you. As I recall, that second INT early in the 2nd half was not due to Reesing being under pressure. The first one, however, was. The thing about it, though, is that he completed a beautiful pass the week prior when ISU blitzed like that (brought the house). All he did was ran backwards a bit and delivered a precision pass to Henry on a crossing route for a long TD. Frankly, I think he was either really nervous or the gloves or something. Many teams have pressured him with blitzes this year and he has handled it very well.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
The Reesing INT in the end zone was accurate the Missouri defender just read it and made a good play

The MU defender made a great play. I'll give him credit for that. But Reesing should have thrown it longer and not to the inside. If he would have done that, one of 2 things would have happened. It would have been a TD catch or incomplete.

bobbything
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
It was a poor decision to throw the ball, and it was a good interception. He wasn't open unless the pass was 110% perfect.

buddha
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
This is the dumbest conversation on the Internet. Why are we discussing if either team played, "its best game?" It doesn't freaking matter. SCOREBOARD. Missouri rolled Kansas...end of discussion.

As for the bowl situation, it is what it is. Let's see how KU responds when playing its second legit opponent this season. MU will have its hands full with McFadden and Jones. Let's see who is talking after both bowls?

kcpasco
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh well its over, I'm done debating

You guys got the Orange, we got the shaft

Good Luck in your bowl

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM

You sound just like MU fans heading into the OU game last Sat., looking back on the previous matchup.

Not playing your best in big games reflects on the quality of the team. KU wasn't up to it for 3 quarters. That counts. That's part of the makeup of KU. If, if, if ... But you didn't. Jeez, you as a Chiefs fan should know all about that.

Maybe you're used to seeing Reesing make all those throws in the past because -- here it comes -- he hadn't faced a team as good as MU.

You won't admit it, but you're really trying to argue that you ALMOST BEAT MU. If another pass had gone this way or a FG stays straighter or ... You're chipping away at MU's win. You're dismissing all your mistakes but holding MU accountable for theirs -- like a flipped ball from Moore on 3rd and 25. Well, hell, we had you in a deep hole, and if only Moore had been a tad more discreet ...

See how that works?

:)

Lzen
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
You sound just like MU fans heading into the OU game last Sat., looking back on the previous matchup.

Not playing your best in big games reflects on the quality of the team. KU wasn't up to it for 3 quarters. That counts. That's part of the makeup of KU. If, if, if ... But you didn't. Jeez, you as a Chiefs fan should know all about that.

Maybe you're used to seeing Reesing make all those throws in the past because -- here it comes -- he hadn't faced a team as good as MU.

You won't admit it, but you're really trying to argue that you ALMOST BEAT MU. If another pass had gone this way or a FG stays straighter or ... You're chipping away at MU's win. You're dismissing all your mistakes but holding MU accountable for theirs -- like a flipped ball from Moore on 3rd and 25. Well, hell, we had you in a deep hole, and if only Moore had been a tad more discreet ...

See how that works?

:)

Hey, I can reflect on that game all I want. As long as KU players don't, it doesn't matter. And from the sound of things, they are very excited to be where they are. I admit that KU was obviously not ready for the big time when they played MU. You guys won and that is all that matters in the end. It just really annoys me when MU fans go around holding their crotches and talking like their team is vastly superior. I just don't see it. But I digress. I will stop arguing this now. It really is pointless.

Lzen
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Another reason to stop this arguing is that I like some, not all, of you MU guys. But these threads about KU makes us both seem like douche bags. Perhaps I will think about just ignoring these. Don't know if I have the will power to do that, though. :(

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Missouri rolled Kansas...end of discussion.

ROFL

yeah, you all certainly "rolled" us. what OU did to you is what I would consider "rolling"...you all beat us

if KU MU faced off 10 times, each team would win 5

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey, I can reflect on that game all I want. As long as KU players don't, it doesn't matter. And from the sound of things, they are very excited to be where they are. I admit that KU was obviously not ready for the big time when they played MU. You guys won and that is all that matters in the end. It just really annoys me when MU fans go around holding their crotches and talking like their team is vastly superior. I just don't see it. But I digress. I will stop arguing this now. It really is pointless.

We perhaps suffer from the actions of each fan bases' extremes.

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
The last post I will make on the subject, but honestly, truly, nobody may believe me but I don't care what bowl game Kansas goes to. I don't care which one we go to. It's not the national championship so to me they are all pretty much the same.

What sucks about this to me is that it reduces the importance of playing a quality schedule, and rendered the game at Arrowhead meaningless.

The reason good teams don't schedule Florida International etc is because such a schedule, particularly in a year they don't play conference powers, will keep them out of the BCS. But if you can get selected over a team that is ranked higher in every poll and higher in the BCS, then why wouldn't you line up dental schools in the non-con?

Secondly, we all loved the buildup and the battle at Arrowhead. But this rendered that game meaningless. Kansas actually was better off for having lost to Mizzou at Arrowhead, because they didn't get to the conference title game, didn't have to play Oklahoma, and got selected purely on the basis of only having one loss. They got rewarded for losing to their rival, losing late in the season, and losing to the only good team on their schedule.

This is bad for college football. I don't care personally, but it's not good for the integrity of the system.

HC_Chief
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
They got rewarded for losing to their rival, losing late in the season, and losing to the only good team on their schedule..

Only good team on their schedule? They lost to a non-BCS-bowl bound school.

:p

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
The last post I will make on the subject, but honestly, truly, nobody may believe me but I don't care what bowl game Kansas goes to. I don't care which one we go to. It's not the national championship so to me they are all pretty much the same.

What sucks about this to me is that it reduces the importance of playing a quality schedule, and rendered the game at Arrowhead meaningless.

The reason good teams don't schedule Florida International etc is because such a schedule, particularly in a year they don't play conference powers, will keep them out of the BCS. But if you can get selected over a team that is ranked higher in every poll and higher in the BCS, then why wouldn't you line up dental schools in the non-con?

Secondly, we all loved the buildup and the battle at Arrowhead. But this rendered that game meaningless. Kansas actually was better off for having lost to Mizzou at Arrowhead, because they didn't get to the conference title game, didn't have to play Oklahoma, and got selected purely on the basis of only having one loss. They got rewarded for losing to their rival, losing late in the season, and losing to the only good team on their schedule.

This is bad for college football. I don't care personally, but it's not good for the integrity of the system.

I agree with virtually all of that.

I'm not mad at KU. I'm mad at the system for the reasons you cite. I want a playoff. Always have, even when MU was going 4-7. I'd like to see both MU and KU in a playoff with a shot at the title. I don't know if my blood pressure could handle them meeting up again, though, with even more on the line. :)

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree with virtually all of that.

I'm not mad at KU. I'm mad at the system for the reasons you cite. I want a playoff. Always have, even when MU was going 4-7. I'd like to see both MU and KU in a playoff with a shot at the title. I don't know if my blood pressure could handle them meeting up again, though, with even more on the line. :)

Hey, if I were them, I'd be happy about backing into a prestigious bowl game. I'd buy a t-shirt and everything.

I just think it's disenchanting for fans like those of these two teams, of teams that aren't traditional football powers, that have to earn respect on the field and in the BCS rankings, to have bowl organizers tell you about how none of that stuff matters. What matters is who they think will make them the most money.

RockChalk
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Another reason to stop this arguing is that I like some, not all, of you MU guys. But these threads about KU makes us both seem like douche bags. Perhaps I will think about just ignoring these. Don't know if I have the will power to do that, though. :(

I don't mean to offend all of the Missouri people, but there are a few of them that are so ignorant (and they know who they are) that I can't help but go off and ridicule them

I don't mean to be a dick about it, but it's hard not to be when you read some of the dribble that a few of them spit out

And I agree that the system is terribly flawed. MU deserved to play in a BCS bowl, but I as a Jayhawk fan really had nothing to do with them not getting selected. Neither really did my school. The problem is the system and the BCS bowl committee handshakers and fast-talkers

siberian khatru
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey, if I were them, I'd be happy about backing into a prestigious bowl game. I'd buy a t-shirt and everything.

I just think it's disenchanting for fans like those of these two teams, of teams that aren't traditional football powers, that have to earn respect on the field and in the BCS rankings, to have bowl organizers tell you about how none of that stuff matters. What matters is who they think will make them the most money.

Yep. We're hopelessly idealistic, but I like my college postseason to be about rewarding achievement and determining the best, not making gobs of money (which I think the bowls would make even more of in a playoff, but that's a whole 'nother huge fish to fry).

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Yep. We're hopelessly idealistic, but I like my college postseason to be about rewarding achievement and determining the best, not making gobs of money (which I think the bowls would make even more of in a playoff, but that's a whole 'nother huge fish to fry).

It's sad, that wanting the system to be fair and unbiased is being hopelessly idealistic.

Frazod
12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't mean to offend all of the Missouri people, but there are a few of them that are so ignorant (and they know who they are) that I can't help but go off and ridicule them

I don't mean to be a dick about it, but it's hard not to be when you read some of the dribble that a few of them spit out

And I agree that the system is terribly flawed. MU deserved to play in a BCS bowl, but I as a Jayhawk fan really had nothing to do with them not getting selected. Neither really did my school. The problem is the system and the BCS bowl committee handshakers and fast-talkers

ROFL

That's rich, really it is. Pot meet kettle. It's dicks like you pointing and laughing that got all this crap stirred up again in the first place.

And your school and whatever shady below-board crap they pulled to make this deal happen has everything to do with it. That shitbag AD of yours is every bit the cheating slimeball Shanahan is - perhaps even worse, since even the Rat doesn't have the power to render moot games already won by other teams.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM

end the the thread with this post, perfect.

CrazyPhuD
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
The biggest problem here is that everyone has been arguing football when football had very little to do with this decision. The BCS choice here was made for business reasons only.

Missouri can say they got screwed but the truth is that the only thing that screwed Missouri was Missouri. Missouri didn't have to win the game to make the BCS. If Missouri would have only lost by a TD they would have been in. Hell if they would have lost by 2 TDs they probably would have been in. But the fact is, in one of the biggest games in school history, Missouri lost by 3 TDs and the game was effectively over in the 2nd half.

What happens when a team is getting blown out? People turn off their TVs and the money you make from commercials goes down. Truth KU may have gotten blown out by even more versus OU, but they didn't play them. The one game that KU lost they played within one score and the game was still on the line at the end. When the game is still in doubt, people watch. People watch better ratings for late game commercials and the more you can charge for them. How many people were still watching the end of the MU-OU game versus the end of the KU-MU game?

Like it or not the BCS is all about making money. That's why it is what it is and why a playoff system would be worlds better. But as long as the BCS gets to pick who is in what bowl that's going to be the case. Why do you think ILL is playing in the rosebowl? Ratings, you have an eastern and a western team. Why is OU playing WVU and VT playing KU?

Everyone in the Big12 would love the KU OU game, it would be the ultimate what if game. If KU had pulled out the MU game would they have played for the championship. But the KU-OU game is all about regional ratings. When you have KU playing VT you get a midwest and an eastcoast team. More people interested, more ratings. Same for OU-WVU. With OU-KU and WVU-VT, you'll have better stories and better rivalry but ultimately fewer people watching, because they are regional games.

KU is in because the BCS believes they'll get better ratings with them in than not. Missouri is out likely because of the 2nd half ratings of the OU-MU game. It is terrible for football fans, but the sad truth of the business world.

You can't say Missouri got screwed by someone else, because they screwed themselves. You take care of business and put on a good show and you'll make the BCS. Put up a stinker and you're out. Be honest, if you didn't love MU or OU how many of you would have watched the 2nd half of the game? MU put up a ratings debacle in their last game and the BCS likely wouldn't want to risk them doing it again.

It sucks that this is about business but it is and Missouri can't really blame anyone but themselves. If they had kept it close they would have been playing in a BCS game. The 2 loss issue was bogus. This was a business decision through and through.

Bearcat
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Seriously, grow up people.

1) Mizzou deserves to be in a BCS bowl over Kansas and Illinois. The Rose Bowl tradition sucks, and the system sucks if what a team does on the field isn't 99% of what gets you into a BCS bowl.

2) Kansas didn't orchestrate anything, so quit bitching. They didn't plan on playing a bunch of chumps so they could get a BCS bowl game. They went this route because you have to START winning before you can have any sort of winning tradition, recruiting success, etc. And who cares of Perkins was on the phone this week. What's Perkins going to do, tell them to take Mizzou? Yeah, no other admin was on the phone this week, either. :rolleyes:

3) If you forgot, some good teams lost to some really bad teams this year. You can't play in a BCS conference and go 11-1 if you suck, and that's what some here are trying to say. It's not like Kansas had 108 years of difficult schedules and things just happened to work out this year. It might have something to do with a little bit of talent. But, if it makes you feel better...

4) As said before me, the system sucks, and letting Kansas in tells teams they can schedule soft teams and get a BCS bowl without even having to worry about winning the conference; which is obviously why they need another system.

Like I said last night, I think the football team will go ahead and show up and play in the Orange Bowl, if that's okay with everyone else involved. It's Kansas' first Orange Bowl in 40 years, which is enough reason to celebrate.

And you know, call me a glass-half-full person, but if Kansas could keep the score fairly close against a team that held the #1 spot in the nation for a week, and maybe if they could keep turnovers and special teams mistakes down to a bare minimum... and maybe, just maybe, in a season where App State and Stanford beat teams once in the top 5.... Nah.

KChiefs1
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Why schedule tough OOC games when you can schedule OOC cupcakes like KU did & get chosen for a BCS bowl game?

MU beats Illinois & KU but doesn't get a BCS bowl game....I say schedule Lincoln, SEMO, Emporia State & Washburn...you won't get discounted for it.

I find it funny how everyone is saying what a friggin' joke KU is today though. Gotta love it!

Tactical Funky
12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
dude we gave you 140+ yards in penalties, played without one of the best TE's in the game in Coffman and you still lost.

Tony Temple made the KU D his bitch.

KU had their collective jock strap laying all over the field.
Do you really want to play the injury game?

Anthony Collins, our best offensive lineman - and one of the best LTs in the country - was severely hobbled and could barely walk. James McClinton, our best defensive lineman by far, was struggling with a similar injury that limited his mobility. Patrick Resby, one of our starting safeties, was out. Kendrick Harper, one of our starting CB's, was also out. Todd Reesing was only slightly injured (ankle sprain from the OSU game), although it did affect his mobility some.

Despite these injuries, I'll admit that MU was the better team, especially on offense. I wish we could've taken back our first half of the game, but that's how it goes in sports.

If KU gets healed up and keeps focused the next few weeks, I think we'll be a good matchup with VTech. Sure, the Hokies have an awesome defense, but their offense is suspect.

Tactical Funky
12-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Why schedule tough OOC games when you can schedule OOC cupcakes like KU did & get chosen for a BCS bowl game?

MU beats Illinois & KU but doesn't get a BCS bowl game....I say schedule Lincoln, SEMO, Emporia State & Washburn...you won't get discounted for it.

I find it funny how everyone is saying what a friggin' joke KU is today though. Gotta love it!
Feel free to rag on KU all you want, but it's the BCS that is at fault - not KU.

MU got screwed, but what can we do now but focus on our bowl game while MU prepares for theirs? Again, if a team like tOSU is playing in the National Championship and Illinois is in the freakin' Rose Bowl, then I don't see why KU's the lone scapegoat.

Another thing is that I've researched the SOS ratings of the BCS teams and KU is actually one spot ahead of USC (74 versus 75, respectively). Sure, that's not a good SOS by any means, but it is better than the 109 I'm seeing thrown around incorrectly by Fox and other sources.

Mr. Plow
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Man, there's a lot of angry Tiger fans in here........ ROFL

Tactical Funky
12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Man, there's a lot of angry Tiger fans in here........ ROFL
I don't blame 'em for being mad, but they're misdirecting their anger. Every KU fan I know agrees with me that MU got shafted, but what are we going to do? Decline a BCS invite? I honestly believe that both KU and MU deserved BCS bids this year, but playing - and losing - to OU twice effectively screwed MU.

The system sucks and I really, really, really wish it would be changed to a playoff format.

Mr. Plow
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't blame 'em for being mad, but they're misdirecting their anger. Every KU fan I know agrees with me that MU got shafted, but what are we going to do? Decline a BCS invite? I honestly believe that both KU and MU deserved BCS bids this year, but playing - and losing - to OU twice effectively screwed MU.

The system sucks and I really, really, really wish it would be changed to a playoff format.

MU did get screwed. I have no problem saying it. I was prepared for KU to be just out of the BCS.

Honestly, I just think it's funny that they beat KU, got to the Big 12 Championship game, and then lose the bowl they wanted to KU.

I'd like to see a playoff format as well. Let the best team prove it.

Tactical Funky
12-03-2007, 11:47 PM
MU did get screwed. I have no problem saying it. I was prepared for KU to be just out of the BCS.

Honestly, I just think it's funny that they beat KU, got to the Big 12 Championship game, and then lose the bowl they wanted to KU.

I'd like to see a playoff format as well. Let the best team prove it.
Damn - did I kill this thread? :hmmm:

I don't like Mizzou at all, but I'm not going to laugh at what happened because it could just have easily been us.

However, I've been taking crap from my Mizzou friends all day and although I'm a reasonable and patient guy, I've about lost it hearing them whine about KU instead of the freakin' BCS committee. I honestly believe that if MU had somehow kept the game with OU close, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

KU had the fate of their season in their own hands, and they blew it against MU. MU had the fate of their season in their hands, and they blew it against OU (a very good OU team, that is). In the end, it was the BCS that decided the ultimate fates of KU and MU after each teams' respective losses.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I honestly believe that if MU had somehow kept the game with OU close, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Bingo.

kcpasco
12-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I honestly believe that if MU had somehow kept the game with OU close, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Errrr wrong, feel free to try again though

Orange bowl president said 1 loss vs. 2 was the deciding factor, nevermind that the 1 loss came to Missouri. No where did he ever mention the score of the Big 12 title game.

Kansas was going to the Orange no matter if OU won by 1 or 100