PDA

View Full Version : How Stupid Has Kolby Smith Made Herm and Carl Look?

petegz28
12-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Ok in the last few weeks I have noticed we have had less runs for - or 0 yards. Smith has shown the ability to make a coupe yards where LJ was not. Be it his running style, attitude or whatver this kid runs and runs well.

One has to ask.....WTF has this kid been? Why did it take a trade and 2 injuries to get him on the field?

So you have to add this to the list of **** ups Carl and Herm have made this year personel wise...

Indecision on who should be QB..tot he tune that until a couple weeks ago Croyle and Huard still split snaps in practice.
Wasted draft pick on kicker
Trading Bennett
Playing Holmes over Smith

And now Smith comes out and shows he can carry the rock.

MichaelH
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
It's not real hard to make either look stupid. Although he has looked far superior than LJ or Priest. My question is how superior will he look after Hermie runs him into the ground like Curtis Martin.

Mecca
12-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Herm has no idea how to handle RB's his history has already established that, he ran LJ into the ground. He ran Martin into the ground with Lamont Jordan sitting on the bench...

Smith was a 5th round pick, that looks smart...the Chiefs repeatedly giving RB's big contracts, that is stupid. But it's the nature of this team, 75% of this board would have rioted if LJ would have been traded before the year even though that was the smart move.

Pushead2
12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
keep giving him the rock please. LJ have a seat for now

Phobia
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
It's hard to predict how young backs are gonna do once they get in. How can anybody justify playing a rookie back over the proven superstar?

Plenty of things have made Carl and Herm look stupid but I don't think this proves anything other than the value they got with that pick.

Reerun_KC
12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Herm has no idea how to handle RB's his history has already established that, he ran LJ into the ground. He ran Martin into the ground with Lamont Jordan sitting on the bench...

the Herm apologists will be along shortly to explain that it wasnt Herms fault for running the backs into the ground, it was his OC's faults...

Mecca
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
The only thing it says is it proves how stupid it is to pay a RB.....

But other teams prove that everyday...the Colts do it with Addai and Keith instead of paying James. The Raiders run the ball with Justin Fargas...there are numerous examples around the league of not needing a 50 million dollar man to run the ball.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Kolby is playing like a young Priest.

I dont blame the orginization for giving Priest a shot. He just doesnt have the gas to be an every down back. At times he looked better than LJ.

LJ needs to get his shit together. At the very least, he should be sharing the backfield with Kolby next yr.

Giving Priest a shot is one thing. Not spelling Priest for an entire half almost?

I don't think this team knows wtf they are doing offensivley. If we had a real OC then we wouldn't have these issues.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
It's hard to predict how young backs are gonna do once they get in. How can anybody justify playing a rookie back over the proven superstar?

Plenty of things have made Carl and Herm look stupid but I don't think this proves anything other than the value they got with that pick.

I think you left a little on your nose. ROFL

chagrin
Ok in the last few weeks I have noticed we have had less runs for - or 0 yards. Smith has shown the ability to make a coupe yards where LJ was not. Be it his running style, attitude or whatver this kid runs and runs well.

Maybe it's because it was his 2nd start and he was full of energy and throughly excited. He's got to keep it up over half a season at least before he proves anything. Running against Oakland and then less than 100 against SD doesn't proved a damn thing.

I understand you are frustrated but take the blinders off.

Reerun_KC
Giving Priest a shot is one thing. Not spelling Priest for an entire half almost?

I don't think this team knows wtf they are doing offensivley. If we had a real OC then we wouldn't have these issues.

Well maybe Dick Curl will manage the offense better next year?

Phobia
12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm hardly a Carl and Herm kissbutt. I'm a realist who gives credit and criticism where deserved. I'm also reserving the harshest criticism for after the rebuilding period.

Mecca
12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
neg rep :shake:

Sadly he may be right.....

Expect that and Chad Pennington....expect the worst...hope for the best.

Pushead2
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
The only thing I am hoping for to make it better is that Herm and Carl both come to my house and shit on my head. Atleast I know they care about one thing, shitting on the fans.

Zouk
12-03-2007, 09:24 AM
It's not real hard to make either look stupid. Although he has looked far superior than LJ or Priest. My question is how superior will he look after Hermie runs him into the ground like Curtis Martin.

Yeah, if not for Herm Curtis Martin would still be crushing the league at age 34. What league are you watching? Backs don't last after age 31, especially backs with pre-existing degnerative knee conditions. What was there to save?

Mecca
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Martin was an exception to the rule obviously but Herm didn't help......

Martin had 2 bad ankles and probably shouldn't have been playing at 1 point yet he was still giving it to him 25 times when Lamont Jordan sat on his bench.

thehead
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah, if not for Herm Curtis Martin would still be crushing the league at age 34. What league are you watching? Backs don't last after age 31, especially backs with pre-existing degnerative knee conditions. What was there to save?

Herm is that you?

:rolleyes:

Brock
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
A 5th round pick producing good numbers doesn't make the GM and coach look stupid, pete. Nor does trading Bennett for a draft pick when he's not even suiting up for the team they traded him to.

BigRedChief
12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I think you left a little on your nose. ROFLI'm with Phobia on this. How could you start a 5th round RB in front of a guy who had rushed for 1,700 yards two years in a row. A backup who was a former 1,000 yard rusher and the Chiefs best RB ever.

He was picked in the 5th round so a lot of teams passed on him several times.

I'm also giving a pass on this to herm.

Brock
12-03-2007, 09:29 AM
What makes them look stupid is giving Larry Johnson millions of dollars.

MichaelH
12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
What league are you watching? Backs don't last after age 31, especially backs with pre-existing degnerative knee conditions. What was there to save?

The same league and coach that ran Larry Johnson for 416 carries last year.

petegz28
I'm with Phobia on this. How could you start a 5th round RB in front of a guy who had rushed for 1,700 yards two years in a row. A backup who was a former 1,000 yard rusher and the Chiefs best RB ever.

He was picked in the 5th round so a lot of teams passed on him several times.

I'm also giving a pass on this to herm.

Cause he was broken? I am not saying that playing Preist was wrong. They just didn't play Smith enough with him.

El Jefe
I would say he hasn't made either because they picked him, so obviously they thought he was/could be good. If LJ was healthy we wouldn't even be having this discussion because Kolby would be getting his 2-3 carries a game. So it's nice that LJ's hurt to see that we have a diamond from the draft. I like Kolby I watched him at Louisville, I think he is gonna be something, he looks great for a Rook.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Next some of you will tell me playing Turley and Welbourne was also a good decision. :)

Baby Lee
12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Next some of you will tell me playing Turley and Welbourne was also a good decision. :)
Good idea, change the subject. I'd take the same tact at this point.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Good idea, change the subject. I'd take the same tact at this point.

If you say so.

Eleazar
12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
You'd have thrown a fit if Smith got carries over Johnson at the start, even though you'd deny it today.

We know your MO, sir, and that's to complain no matter what the situation is, particularly to complain about something that is hindsight.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 10:30 AM
You'd have thrown a fit if Smith got carries over Johnson at the start, even though you'd deny it today.

We know your MO, sir, and that's to complain no matter what the situation is, particularly to complain about something that is hindsight.

Over Johonson? Sure. Where did I say he should of played before Johnson?

Hindsight? These coaches have seen this kid in practice since camp and you are telling me they couldn't figure out how to get him on the field sooner?

I guess it is just bad karma..... ROFL

Pushead2
12-03-2007, 10:36 AM

ROFL

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
The other side of the coin, Herm drafted both Jordan and Smith

luv
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM

One has to ask.....WTF has this kid been? Why did it take a trade and 2 injuries to get him on the field?

So you have to add this to the list of **** ups Carl and Herm have made this year personel wise...

Indecision on who should be QB..tot he tune that until a couple weeks ago Croyle and Huard still split snaps in practice.
Trading Bennett

I've liked Smith since preseason, but was told by a couple of people on here that he wasn't that great. Also, you know what kind of welcome the kid would have gotten if he was chosen to play over Holmes? I wouldn't put it beneath people to have booed him. How would you like for the kid to get booed in his first NFL start?

There were people for trading Bennett as well, especially since it meant Holmes would be back. People wanted us to get rid of Smith instead. I'm kinda glad we didn't.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
The other side of the coin, Herm drafted both Jordan and Smith

Oh I am sure Kolby and Croyle not playing much were more CeePee decisions than Herm's but he is the head coach so he gets part of the blame.

Messier
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Over Johonson? Sure. Where did I say he should of played before Johnson?

Hindsight? These coaches have seen this kid in practice since camp and you are telling me they couldn't figure out how to get him on the field sooner?

Just like the Pats saw Tom Brady practice every day so they knew they had a hall of Fame QB behind Bledsoe, and still started Drew? Those morons!

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
From Priest to LJ to Smith(if he keeps this up) & your complaining?

hrhiner
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
It is time to fire Herm and find a coach that cares and doesn't have an ego problem. It is also time to give Carl his walking papers. Call it a year vacation before he is retired to his rocking chair. Let Clark be Clark. Be a bold leader and owner for 2008.

Messier
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh I am sure Kolby and Croyle not playing much were more CeePee decisions than Herm's but he is the head coach so he gets part of the blame.

Peterson doesn't get to say who starts and who doesn't. That's the coaches job. I know many think Peterson "suggests" who to play and the coaches obey, but no coach, and I mean no coach would stand for not having final say on who starts.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Peterson doesn't get to say who starts and who doesn't. That's the coaches job. I know many think Peterson "suggests" who to play and the coaches obey, but no coach, and I mean no coach would stand for not having final say on who starts.

bullshit!!!

xbarretx
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
keep giving him the rock please. LJ have a seat for now

have a seat on the trading bench......i wish at least. should of traded him in the last off season. no im not saying that b/c smith is looking decent....im saying that because as a rebuilding team....why go through 2 - 3 years of #$%@#$%@ and spend half the bank on a guy when by the time the teams ready he'll be all but done? i can deal with losses if were playing young guys. i dont like to see us lose and have nothing to show for it.

hopefully with our high draft picks were doomed to get :o) we can make something of them with a nice winter/spring cleaning of the chiefs coaching,scouting,mgmt staff.

King_Chief_Fan
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM

:)

DaFace
12-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Made them look stupid? They were the ones who drafted him, were they not? If anything, it seems to me that this makes them look intelligent. Granted, he's been at the bottom of the depth chart, but do you see any other 5th-round rookies starting around the league right now?

I'm all for bashing Herm and Carl, but only when they deserve it.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
The only thing it says is it proves how stupid it is to pay a RB.....

But other teams prove that everyday...the Colts do it with Addai and Keith instead of paying James. The Raiders run the ball with Justin Fargas...there are numerous examples around the league of not needing a 50 million dollar man to run the ball.

No but the Raiders spending over $27 million on Lamont Jordan is okay in your book?

Your act has grown tired and old.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Trading Bennett

Croyle wasn't ready to start the season. And while he played well in spurts, he wasn't exactly the second-coming of Tom Brady in there. Better than Huard? Yes. But I wouldn't say that Croyle set the world on fire.

The Chiefs didn't "waste" a draft pick on a kicker. It was 5th rounder. A "waste" would have been a first day pick. That's just plain dumb to call that a "waste".

Trading Bennet was a bad move also? Really? How so? Kolby Smith has outperformed Bennett in Tampa PLUS the Chiefs get a draft choice in return. The way I look at it, we're getting Kolby Smith for FREE.

After Priest Holmes' remarkable comeback and spot-play, you're advocating that the Chiefs should have played Smith instead? WTF? Smith has been very good the past two games and hopefully he'll continue to improve. But to automatically start a rookie 5th round draft choice over a "healthy" Priest Holmes would have been a dubious decision at best.

morphius
12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure how that was supposed to make him look stupid. Stupid would have been if they would have let him go and kept Michael Bennett, with Smith going somewhere else and playing well.

Pablo
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure how that was supposed to make him look stupid. Stupid would have been if they would have let him go and kept Michael Bennett, with Smith going somewhere else and playing well.Whoa whoa whoa..your logic is getting in the way of the hatred. Stop it now please.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
http://zapatopi.net/blog/brandon_flowers_dual_afdb.jpg

petegz28
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
No stupid is having this level of talent sitting the bench for weeks.

BIG_DADDY
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
This post is confusing.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
No stupid is having this level of talent sitting the bench for weeks.

According to your logic Belly-check is an idiot because Brady is a stud. He should have been starting from day 1, right?

Micjones
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm hoping that Clark's keeping tabs on all the bad decisions the current administration has made.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 12:01 PM
According to your logic Belly-check is an idiot because Brady is a stud. He should have been starting from day 1, right?

was he in the middle of a rebuilding phase or just having QB issues?

See that is the proble. CeePee and Herm and obvously some of you think it is smart to play older, broken players ahead of the young talent when you know good and damn well that is what you do during a rebuilding year.

Priest was my favorite player. I have a small shrine in my home for him next to my shrine for DT.

But the fact is once Bennett was traded Smith should of been slated for 50% of the carries period!

Instead we ran, ran, ran and ran some more with a 34 yr old RB coming off a seriosu injury and had not played for almost 2 years.

Meanwhile you have Kolby the young, healthy rookie sitting the pine.

Simply Red
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
who gives a shit?

Rausch
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
So you should start/play every rookie because they're a rookie when you're not winning?

That doesn't make sense. You try to put the best players out there. To think a low-round rookie would be more productive than Holmes is myopic and foolish. Not only that, but Smith has had ONE good game. ONE. 80 something yards rushing is not some spectacular performance, and his only spectacular performance was against one of the league's worst run defenses.

Odds are you're inflating his worth more than Herm/Carl underestimated it...

petegz28
12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
So you should start/play every rookie because they're a rookie when you're not winning?

That doesn't make sense. You try to put the best players out there. To think a low-round rookie would be more productive than Holmes is myopic and foolish. Not only that, but Smith has had ONE good game. ONE. 80 something yards rushing is not some spectacular performance, and his only spectacular performance was against one of the league's worst run defenses.

Odds are you're inflating his worth more than Herm/Carl underestimating it...

No what doesn't make sense is playing guys who need to retire or pulling guys out of retirement to play during a re-building year.

What about the 150 he ran for against Oakland?

Pablo
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
No what doesn't make sense is playing guys who need to retire or pulling guys out of retirement to play during a re-building year.

What about the 150 he ran for against Oakland?Oaklands run defense is garbage. Back when LJ gave a shit, he would have ran for over 200 yards and probably 2 or 3 TD's on the Oakland defense Smith faced last week.

He had a little over 4 ypc average against the Chargers, but we had to abandon the run, and go to our stellar air attack when our run defense imploded in the second half.

Pablo
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't get me wrong.

Smith runs hard, he runs with passion. He runs like he's a young man who wants a future in this league and a payday.

But saying Herm and CP are idiots for not starting him, or sharing time is absurd. He could have been worked in more, but even if we had faith in him, he'd have probably split 1/3 time with Priest.

Priest would have got 15-20 carries a game, and Kolby would have been lucky to get 10.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM

What about the 150 he ran for against Oakland?

You really didn't read the post you responded to, did you?...

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Priest got 2 starts & didnt make it all the way through the 2nd game. The 2nd game was Brodie's first start. Game 1 was 20 touches & 2 rec. Game 2 19/1 Not much

StcChief
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Hopefully Just another black mark in Clark Hunts book...

that will add up to him leaving.

FAX
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
If anything, Kolby is a gold sticker on Carl and Herm's coloring book. Apparently, he was a darn good pick. If he turns out to be a guy who can consistently give you 100, it makes LJ look kinda stupid - I'll give you that.

Oh, and maybe Carl for signing LJ for 70 million dollars and 40 pounds of bling. Imagine if we had that money to go looking for offensive linemen next year.

FAX

petegz28
12-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Don't get me wrong.

Smith runs hard, he runs with passion. He runs like he's a young man who wants a future in this league and a payday.

But saying Herm and CP are idiots for not starting him, or sharing time is absurd. He could have been worked in more, but even if we had faith in him, he'd have probably split 1/3 time with Priest.

Priest would have got 15-20 carries a game, and Kolby would have been lucky to get 10.

No one said start him over Johnson. I am complaining that in a rebuilding year where we are lacking talent this kid has beenr iding the bench way more than he should of been.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
With Priest & LJ both down, Croyle may not have started a game yet

Pablo
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
No one said start him over Johnson. I am complaining that in a rebuilding year where we are lacking talent this kid has beenr iding the bench way more than he should of been.I was talking about starting him over Priest...

There's no doubt in anyone's mind that he's a no. 3 back behind a healthy LJ and Priest. His only real chance at playing time would have been in garbage time or after LJ went down in the GB game, and he got a little time. Then Priest retired, and it's his gig.

He rode the bench as much as any 5th round rookie RB would have behind a premier power back and the greatest back to ever wear a Chiefs jersey. His treatment was entirely fair and just.

It would be wrong if he went on to amass something like 800-900 yards and a few touchdowns in the last 7 games and he didn't see any time at all next year, or very minimal time. Which is very plausible, we do have a high profile, big money RB in the backfield, so Kolby may be spelling LJ for a few more years of his time.

RustShack
12-03-2007, 12:37 PM
He makes them look so stupid because he was a back up to Bush and a lot of fans didn't want him on the team, but Herm did.

Dylan
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Martin was an exception to the rule obviously but Herm didn't help......

Martin had 2 bad ankles and probably shouldn't have been playing at 1 point yet he was still giving it to him 25 times when Lamont Jordan sat on his bench.

The Jets had one good offense on the field in 2004, and it may have something to do with Curtis Martin.

Martin fumbled only once or twice from 2001-2005.

Rushing Stats:
YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2002 NYJ 16 261 1094 4.2 35 7
2003 NYJ 16 323 1308 4.1 56 2
2004 NYJ 16 371 1697 4.6 25 12
2005 NYJ 12 220 735 3.3 49 5

2004: 1942 yds

Curtis broke down in 2005.

Lamont Jordan and Herm did not get along. He was mostly on the bench. Jordan asked the Jets to trade him, and they did. I'm sure a Jets fan would say that Martin and Jordan would have made an excellent RB tandem.

BigRock
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I can't decide who starts the more insightful threads, petegz28 or percysnow.

Coogs
12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I have not read this thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but how about that block Smith made on a blitzing Charger yesterday?

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM
No one said start him over Johnson. I am complaining that in a rebuilding year where we are lacking talent this kid has beenr iding the bench way more than he should of been.

This makes no sense, whatsoever.

1) LJ is the starter. $19 million dollar signing bonus insures that.
2) Bennett is the back up. 2006 trade insures that.
3) Priest is the third string back. Player history insures that.
4) Kolby Smith is the fourth string running back. 2007 rookie insures that.

So, what happens? Bennett is traded for a pick in 2008. GOOD!
Priest plays and plays "okay". Priest is injured.
Kolby Smith plays and plays well. GOOD!

What's wrong with this scenario, Pete?

The Chiefs TRADED Bennett because they saw something special in Smith. They didn't trade Smith.

You make no sense.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
The Jets had one good offense on the field in 2004, and it may have something to do with Curtis Martin.

Martin fumbled only once or twice from 2001-2005.

Rushing Stats:
YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2002 NYJ 16 261 1094 4.2 35 7
2003 NYJ 16 323 1308 4.1 56 2
2004 NYJ 16 371 1697 4.6 25 12
2005 NYJ 12 220 735 3.3 49 5

2004: 1942 yds

Curtis broke down in 2005.

Lamont Jordan and Herm did not get along. He was mostly on the bench. Jordan asked the Jets to trade him, and they did. I'm sure a Jets fan would say that Martin and Jordan would have made an excellent RB tandem.

Lamont Jordan was not traded. He signed a free-agent deal with the Raiders in 2004. In 2005, he tore his ACL.

Let's not forget that Bill Parcells ran the sh*t out of Curtis Martin long before Herm Edwards took over the Jets.

From 1996-2000, Curtis Martin logged 2,010 carries.

From 2001-2005, Curtis Martin logged 1,508 carries.

If anything, Curtis Martin is a super human running back. That's a LOT of mileage, regardless of who's coaching.

Zouk
12-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Lamont Jordan and Herm did not get along.

Where are you getting your info?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/06/21/first.person0627/

ON JETS COACH HERM EDWARDS I had nothing but love and respect for Herm. During the bad time I had last off-season, when I asked to be traded, Herm was great with me. He's a players' coach. He understands that if you want to keep your players healthy for the long haul, you've got to ease up at times. And he's honest.

ClevelandBronco
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Wait a minute. Kolby's on the team. The guys who put him on the team should get a pat on the back, not a kick in the ass.

Every time Denver runs out a new kid everyone in the league marvels about their ability to turn trash into treasure.

You guys run out a new kid who succeeds, and all you want to do is bitch about it.

Pablo
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Wait a minute. Kolby's on the team. The guys who put him on the team should get a pat on the back, not a kick in the ass.

Every time Denver runs out a new kid everyone in the league marvels about their ability to turn trash into treasure.

You guys run out a new kid who succeeds, and all you want to do is bitch about it.That's the nature of some Chiefs fans.

If you can't b*tch about Herm's playcalling that week, make sure you slam the decision to not play the RB he drafted, when we had a healthy LJ and Priest came back.

Chiefs_5627
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM

You guys run out a new kid who succeeds, and all you want to do is bitch about it.

Exactly.

petegz28
12-03-2007, 03:02 PM
This makes no sense, whatsoever.

1) LJ is the starter. $19 million dollar signing bonus insures that.
2) Bennett is the back up. 2006 trade insures that.
3) Priest is the third string back. Player history insures that.
4) Kolby Smith is the fourth string running back. 2007 rookie insures that.

So, what happens? Bennett is traded for a pick in 2008. GOOD!
Priest plays and plays "okay". Priest is injured.
Kolby Smith plays and plays well. GOOD!

What's wrong with this scenario, Pete?

The Chiefs TRADED Bennett because they saw something special in Smith. They didn't trade Smith.

You make no sense.

The Chiefs traded Bennett cause CeePee has a ton of $'s tied up in Holmes and he was hell bent to get him on the field or force Priest to quit and give up the money.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
The Chiefs traded Bennett cause CeePee has a ton of $'s tied up in Holmes and he was hell bent to get him on the field or force Priest to quit and give up the money.

That's complete and utter nonsense. I know you have a hatred towards the Chiefs organization at this point but that's bullsh*t.

By all accounts, Priest played for the NFL vet minimum this year. The Chiefs traded Bennett because of Priest's performance in practice and his prior success. They also felt good about Kolby Smith's performance in practice and have sung his praises since draft day.

Why can't you be happy that the Chiefs have both Kolby Smith AND an additional draft choice in 2008?

EM31
12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
If anything, Kolby is a gold sticker on Carl and Herm's coloring book. Apparently, he was a darn good pick. If he turns out to be a guy who can consistently give you 100, it makes LJ look kinda stupid - I'll give you that.

Oh, and maybe Carl for signing LJ for 70 million dollars and 40 pounds of bling. Imagine if we had that money to go looking for offensive linemen next year.

FAX
Never happen... sound of one hand clapping in the forest or some such. If the genie were somehow to appear and grant you a wish and you got to undo the $70 million LJ contract then clearly those monies would be earmarked for extensions to Ty Law and Patrick Surtain no?

Aaron Beasley isn't even hardly 40 yet and Herm might have the inside track on him.

Rausch
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Hey genius, Holmes RESTRUCTURED his contract. He wasn't making squat...

keg in kc
12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Holmes was a fun story, but it was a waste of time. If you're really rebuilding, the last thing you need keeping young players off the field is a 34-year old two years removed from play due to serious injury. It was a circus, nothing more, nothing less.

Dylan
12-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Lamont Jordan was not traded. He signed a free-agent deal with the Raiders in 2004. In 2005, he tore his ACL.

Let's not forget that Bill Parcells ran the sh*t out of Curtis Martin long before Herm Edwards took over the Jets.

From 1996-2000, Curtis Martin logged 2,010 carries.

From 2001-2005, Curtis Martin logged 1,508 carries.

If anything, Curtis Martin is a super human running back. That's a LOT of mileage, regardless of who's coaching.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/sports/football/28jets.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/J/Jordan,%20Lamont

Patience and Hope Sustaining Jets' Jordan
By RICHARD LEZIN JONES

Published: November 28, 2004

Something, LaMont Jordan believed, had to change. Maybe it was the mind-set of Jets coaches, who, Jordan long complained, had underused him as a backup running back and never fulfilled promises for increased playing time.

Maybe it was the perspective of team executives who did not accede to Jordan's wishes for a trade.

Or maybe, as Jordan slowly realized after he fled training camp in frustration last summer, what needed to change was something far more basic: himself.

"After a while, I'm not going to lie, I got down on myself, I started questioning myself: 'Am I not good enough to play? Am I just good enough to be a backup?' " he said. "I just realized: You can play in this league. What you need to do is you need to grow a little bit."

In a game today that features two of the league's greatest runners, Arizona's Emmitt Smith and the Jets' Curtis Martin, Jordan might be the most intriguing back. Despite not being a starter this season, the 5-foot-10, 230-pound Jordan has repeatedly used his power and speed to spark the offense.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 12:04 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/sports/football/28jets.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/J/Jordan,%20Lamont

Patience and Hope Sustaining Jets' Jordan
By RICHARD LEZIN JONES

Published: November 28, 2004

Something, LaMont Jordan believed, had to change. Maybe it was the mind-set of Jets coaches, who, Jordan long complained, had underused him as a backup running back and never fulfilled promises for increased playing time.

Maybe it was the perspective of team executives who did not accede to Jordan's wishes for a trade.

Or maybe, as Jordan slowly realized after he fled training camp in frustration last summer, what needed to change was something far more basic: himself.

"After a while, I'm not going to lie, I got down on myself, I started questioning myself: 'Am I not good enough to play? Am I just good enough to be a backup?' " he said. "I just realized: You can play in this league. What you need to do is you need to grow a little bit."

In a game today that features two of the league's greatest runners, Arizona's Emmitt Smith and the Jets' Curtis Martin, Jordan might be the most intriguing back. Despite not being a starter this season, the 5-foot-10, 230-pound Jordan has repeatedly used his power and speed to spark the offense.

That's your rebuttal?

I hope you're not a lawyer.

irishjayhawk
12-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Smith was a 5th round pick, that looks smart...the Chiefs repeatedly giving RB's big contracts, that is stupid. But it's the nature of this team, 75% of this board would have rioted if LJ would have been traded before the year even though that was the smart move.

I have to say I was not in that camp.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I have to say I was not in that camp.

That's because Mecca doesn't know what he's talking about.

Herm put less miles on Curtis Martin than did Parcells. Check my prior post for the actual stats, not just conjecture.

Regardless, for Mecca, the grass is always greener elsewhere.

Which makes me wonder why he has over 30,000 posts, the majority of them negative. So either he's just a negative person or he's got nothing better to do with his time.

I'm betting it's 50/50.

irishjayhawk
12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
That's because Mecca doesn't know what he's talking about.

Herm put less miles on Curtis Martin than did Parcells. Check my prior post for the actual stats, not just conjecture.

Regardless, for Mecca, the grass is always greener elsewhere.

Which makes me wonder why he has over 30,000 posts, the majority of them negative. So either he's just a negative person or he's got nothing better to do with his time.

I'm betting it's 50/50.

I was talking about Trading LJ.

Dylan
12-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Where are you getting your info?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/06/21/first.person0627/

ON JETS COACH HERM EDWARDS I had nothing but love and respect for Herm. During the bad time I had last off-season, when I asked to be traded, Herm was great with me. He's a players' coach. He understands that if you want to keep your players healthy for the long haul, you've got to ease up at times. And he's honest.

Check out the -- NY Post, Daily News or Newsday. Lamont Jordan let his feelings be known and the front office would try and tone his comments down. This incident went back and forth in the newspapers a long time. The Jets tried to work out a trade to Washington a year or two before Jordan left. He had a lot to say on record.

Daily News

JORDAN STILL SAYING "PLAY ME OR PAY ME"

Jets running back LaMont Jordan's request is simple. As he enters the final year of his contract, he wants the Jets either to play him in 2004, or to pay him.

"I would like some sort of commitment -- whether it's with a contract extension or by giving me the ball," Jordan said Wednesday, according to the New York Post. "I think I am capable. From the moment I stepped foot in here, Curtis has done nothing but teach me. How would anyone know if you learned your lesson until you take the test? I think I am ready for my test, and that test is to play."

If Jordan gets neither, he presumably wants to be traded. As we've previously reported, the Jets won't do it.

Why should they? The team needs a solid No. 2 behind Curtis Martin, and as Martin gets more and more wear on his wheels, it makes sense to hold onto LaMont as long as they can.

Coach Herm Edwards is talking like a guy who wants to find a middle ground. "His representation is coming up here on Tuesday and we're going to sit down and talk," Edwards said. "I've already spoken to LaMont. We're just going to talk about trying to get something done with the guy. Hopefully, he can be a Jet and retire a Jet. We have to get LaMont in there more, and we know that. This year we have a lot of things planned to get him into the game and carry the football."

The problem is that the Jets have been singing this same song when Jordan was drafted in 2001. But Martin continues to get the bulk of the touches -- and Jordan continues to get the scraps.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Check out the -- NY Post, Daily News or Newsday. Lamont Jordan let his feelings be known and the front office would try and tone his comments down. This incident went back and forth in the newspapers a long time. The Jets tried to work out a trade to Washington a year or two before Jordan left. He had a lot to say on record.

Daily News

Jets running back LaMont Jordan's request is simple. As he enters the final year of his contract, he wants the Jets either to play him in 2004, or to pay him.

"I would like some sort of commitment -- whether it's with a contract extension or by giving me the ball," Jordan said Wednesday, according to the New York Post. "I think I am capable. From the moment I stepped foot in here, Curtis has done nothing but teach me. How would anyone know if you learned your lesson until you take the test? I think I am ready for my test, and that test is to play."

If Jordan gets neither, he presumably wants to be traded. As we've previously reported, the Jets won't do it.

Why should they? The team needs a solid No. 2 behind Curtis Martin, and as Martin gets more and more wear on his wheels, it makes sense to hold onto LaMont as long as they can.

Coach Herm Edwards is talking like a guy who wants to find a middle ground. "His representation is coming up here on Tuesday and we're going to sit down and talk," Edwards said. "I've already spoken to LaMont. We're just going to talk about trying to get something done with the guy. Hopefully, he can be a Jet and retire a Jet. We have to get LaMont in there more, and we know that. This year we have a lot of things planned to get him into the game and carry the football."

The problem is that the Jets have been singing this same song when Jordan was drafted in 2001. But Martin continues to get the bulk of the touches -- and Jordan continues to get the scraps.

Why can't you just face the fact that Jordan is less than an average back and Curtis Martin is a HOFer?

This is like if Chiefs fans were to sing the praises of Derrick Blaylock versus Priest Holmes.

Stupid argument.

Chief Faithful
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Smith was a second day pick that was considered a reach by some. He has a crappy preseason and the Chiefs keep him over Ross a proven runner. Then when he gets his opportunity Smith justifies the faith Carl and Herm had in him.

Kolby Smith made Herm and Carl look good.

Dylan
12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Why can't you just face the fact that Jordan is less than an average back and Curtis Martin is a HOFer?

This is like if Chiefs fans were to sing the praises of Derrick Blaylock versus Priest Holmes.

Stupid argument.
It would seem that way now. I was just looking at what happened to the Jets with Jordan.

Why draft Jordan in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft, if you’re not going to use him?

LT had one of the best seasons ever last year. His backup Michael Turner still relieves Tomlinson whenever he needs a break. It also helps a runner stay healthy. Turner did not take anything away from LT. In 2006, Turner finished the season with over 500 yds and averaged 6.3 yards per carry.

Jacksonville’s Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew is another great tandem. In 2006, Taylor had 1,146 yards and averaged 5.0 yard per carry. Jones-Drew finished the season with 941 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry. When Taylor was out for a few games last year, Jones-Drew stepped in and was able to start.

Lamont Jordan
N.Y. Jets, 2001 - 292 rushing yds, 7.3 yards per carry, 1 TD
N.Y. Jets, 2002 - 316 rushing yds, 3.8 yds/per carry, 3 TD
N.Y. Jets, 2003 - 190 rushing yds, 4.1 yds/per carry, 4 TD
N.Y. Jets, 2004 - 479 rushing yds, 5.2 yds/per carry, 2 TD
Raiders, 2005 - 1,053 rushing yds, 3.8 yds/per carry, 9 TD

I considered Jordan a good back to split time with Martin. He provided the Jets with a burst of speed at the right time. J/M/O

I’m a Giants fan -- I will watch every Jets game, however, I can still be way off.

I’m curious to see what Bill Parcells has to say about Jordan. It's his team.

Brock
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
It appears to me that most teams that use a tandem back system do so because one of their backs rarely finishes a season when they're used a lot.

doomy3
12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm sure Pete knew what we had sitting on the bench in Kolby Smith. I mean, who didn't? Everyone knew he was better than LJ!!! How stupid can Herm be?

Sure-Oz
12-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Smith was a second day pick that was considered a reach by some. He has a crappy preseason and the Chiefs keep him over Ross a proven runner. Then when he gets his opportunity Smith justifies the faith Carl and Herm had in him.

Kolby Smith made Herm and Carl look good.
If i recall he only started 1 year for micheal bush, and seemed like a sleeper pick anyway. He has looked alot like Holmes, minus the catching ability. He has created his own holes as well.

Chief Faithful
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
If i recall he only started 1 year for micheal bush, and seemed like a sleeper pick anyway. He has looked alot like Holmes, minus the catching ability. He has created his own holes as well.

He didn't even make it a year because of injury. Turk was also a questionable pick as he was a rotation player in college. Hali was called a reach pick. I don't know if these guys represent luck or does Herm really have a good eye for talent?

Herm has said he knows what he wants. If Herm has another good draft this year then there is no way I call it luck.

Zouk
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Daily News

I didn't see anything in there about Herm and LaMont not getting along. I actually met LaMont a couple of years ago when he came back to a University of Maryland function, and he said great things about Herm.

I think he was an excellent runner before back problems hurt his career.

StcChief
12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
If Kolby finishes the year with 500+ yards I'll be happy