PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones initiates discussions with Royals

tk13
12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/388524.html

Royals take another look at Andruw Jones as Guillen talks stall
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

NASHVILLE, Tenn. | Suddenly, the Royals aren’t facing a Jose Guillen-or-bust situation in their efforts to sign a run-producing, free-agent outfielder.

Andruw Jones has emerged as a possible alternative.

General manager Dayton Moore declined to confirm interest in Jones, a five-time All-Star center fielder, but sources say the two sides have been in close contact.

The willingness to consider Jones comes as the Royals appear stalled in negotiations with Guillen, who became their primary offseason target once Torii Hunter signed with the Angels.

If nothing else, talks with Jones provide club officials with some leverage in negotiating with Guillen, 31, who is seeking a four-year deal after batting .290 last season with 23 homers and 99 RBIs in 153 games for Seattle.

The Royals don’t want to exceed two years with Guillen — or Jones — but appear willing to accept a sharply higher per-year salary.

“Our focus remains the same,” Moore said. “We’re trying to acquire some middle-of-the-order bats through free agency or trades. We’ve got a lot of balls in the air right now.

“Every day that goes by, the more intrigued I get with other opportunities.”

Royals officials acknowledge disappointment at the lack of progress in negotiations with Guillen, who doesn’t appear to have any other major suitor. The Mets have expressed mild interest but are currently overloaded with outfielders.

Interestingly, the Royals don’t necessarily view Guillen and Jones as an either/or proposition. Sources said the club is willing to consider signing both, especially if Japanese right-hander Hiroki Kuroda signs elsewhere.

Jones is well-known to Moore from their time together in Atlanta. Moore spent 12 years in the Braves’ front office before joining the Royals in June 2006. Jones, 30, has spent his entire 12-year career in the Braves’ organization.

Sources say Jones initiated discussions with the Royals after drawing scant interest from efforts by agent Scott Boras to secure a contract that matches or exceeds the five-year, $90 million deal that Hunter received from the Angels.

The Dodgers have the only known bid out to Jones, reported by ESPN.com as $32 million over two years. The Giants and, perhaps, the Brewers are also believed to have some interest.

The Royals appear willing to exceed the Dodgers’ offer — but not by much.

Club officials remain concerned that Jones batted a career-low .222 last season for the Braves, although he had 26 homers and 94 RBIs in 154 games. He also recently won a 10th straight Gold Glove for defensive excellence.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok how much money do you think he wants.....this is a Boras guy after Hunter got 5-90....I'm guessing he wants more.

kcfanXIII
12-04-2007, 12:24 AM
my friend from work and i have been salivating at the thought jones would consider coming here. if we sign him, i might invest my chiefs ticket money in a partial ticket package with the royals.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2007, 12:26 AM
i think that jones would be great for this team if he were here for only 2-3 years. with the infusion of young talent that we have, a run producing veteran is something that can help pick up the younguns spirits. Losing takes a toll on younger players, so jones could help us tremendously.

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 12:29 AM
The batting average is concerning, but given the guy's career numbers, couldn't that be an aberration?

Frazod
12-04-2007, 12:30 AM
i think that jones would be great for this team if he were here for only 2-3 years. with the infusion of young talent that we have, a run producing veteran is something that can help pick up the younguns spirits. Losing takes a toll on younger players, so jones could help us tremendously.

Jones is an outstanding defensive outfielder. Run producing veteran? Not so much. He's a very streaky hitter and his numbers have been down for the past couple of years.

Think a younger, healthier Jim Edmunds.

Can't say it would be bad pick-up, but don't confuse him with Soriano.

Demonpenz
12-04-2007, 12:31 AM
scouts.com good compact swing that makes good contact

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 12:36 AM
yeah.. to add a gold glove, 25/100, someone who's never injured, you can kind of overlook batting average if you aren't hurting for it all over the lineup. It needs to be more around his career average of .260-.270 for him to be worth a lot of money.

But for a team like us, he might be worth it, particularly if we could turn him around as trade bait around the deadline if the situation was right.

Both the Guillen pursuit and now Jones all point to some pressure on Mark Teahen. I wonder what they see as his place in all this.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Unless Mark Teahen develops power his place is on the bench...

If the Royals sign Jones he's going to be untradable for awhile...you're probably looking at a 5-7 year contract worth a lot of money.

BWillie
12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Unless Mark Teahen develops power his place is on the bench...

If the Royals sign Jones he's going to be untradable for awhile...you're probably looking at a 5-7 year contract worth a lot of money.

Naw, Teahen can play any position in outfield, and could be used as a utility player if needed. If DDJ sucks again this year, he might find his ass on the bench. Teahen can gun people down, If I remember right he was a league leader in assists.

tk13
12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3140604

Apparently they've signed Jose Guillen to a 3 year, $36 million dollar deal. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Although it doesn't look like we'll be done spending.

kcxiv
12-04-2007, 12:57 AM
He had a down year, but thats not going to be the norm. Even in a bad year he won a gold glove and still had decent HR and RBI numbers.

I want the Dodgers to sign him badly.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Apparently they've signed Jose Guillen to a 3 year, $36 million dollar deal. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Although it doesn't look like we'll be done spending.

Well that upgrades the power by quite a bit.....if they sign Jones too then they finally might have an OF capable of closely producing at AL averages.

tk13
12-04-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd agree, I think Jones can still hit homers and play defense. If the Royals signed him I wouldn't complain a bit. I don't think at this point he's gonna get the kind of money Boras is looking for, he might actually come cheap in this market for a guy who can win gold gloves in his sleep.

If the Royals could put Jones and Guillen in the OF, DeJesus in left, Teahen at first... we'd have one of the best defenses in the league. Really doesn't matter if Teahen or DeJesus is the 3rd OF, it'd still be one of the best defenses in the league. It'd help the pitchers out a lot. Not to mention having a couple 25-30 HR bats in there.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Didn't Jones hit 50 Hr's 2 or 3 years ago?

If you have a power bat in Center it easier to get away with a guy like Dejesus in left.

Thig Lyfe
12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Maybe I'm way off base, maybe I'm just conditioned to be pessimistic, but Andruw Jones gives me some Juan Gonzalez vibes.

That said, the very notion that the Royals might outbid the Dodgers for anyone tells me that Dayton is here to win. I'd like to think that if Andruw does end up here, he'll contribute in a big way. I just can't be too thrilled until that .222 average proves to be a fluke and not a trend.

pr_capone
12-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I loved him in Atlanta... TBH though he has not been impressive the past few years..... aside from the gold gloves of course.

If he had .50 more on his batting average, I think the Braves season last year would have been completely different.

Though he is done in Atlanta, I wish him well.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Maybe I'm way off base, maybe I'm just conditioned to be pessimistic, but Andruw Jones gives me some Juan Gonzalez vibes.

That said, the very notion that the Royals might outbid the Dodgers for anyone tells me that Dayton is here to win. I'd like to think that if Andruw does end up here, he'll contribute in a big way. I just can't be too thrilled until that .222 average proves to be a fluke and not a trend.

Well the difference in Jones and Gonzalez is Jones is a gold glove outfielder....even if you look at the new fangled fielding numbers he is still one of the top + defenders in the game.

Thig Lyfe
12-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Well the difference in Jones and Gonzalez is Jones is a gold glove outfielder....even if you look at the new fangled fielding numbers he is still one of the top + defenders in the game.

Yeah, that does make me feel better. That and the fact that he probably won't land on the DL after blinking too hard.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 04:42 AM
So I just came across this...

So ESPN's winter meetings blog is reporting that the Royals are getting close to signing Jose Guillen for 3 years, $36 million. Yes, you read that right. A mediocre defensive OF who doesn't get on base a ton & has only ever slugged over .500 once is evidently worth $12 million a year to Dayton Moore.

Why does everyone always hate on all of Daytons moves? It happened last year too...

HMc
12-04-2007, 06:09 AM
So I just came across this...

So ESPN's winter meetings blog is reporting that the Royals are getting close to signing Jose Guillen for 3 years, $36 million. Yes, you read that right. A mediocre defensive OF who doesn't get on base a ton & has only ever slugged over .500 once is evidently worth $12 million a year to Dayton Moore.

Why does everyone always hate on all of Daytons moves? It happened last year too...

Dude, that's, like, you!

Mecca
12-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Dude, that's, like, you!

Depends on the situation, though.

I'll explain this out, is that probably to much money to pay Jose Guillen, yes it probably is. Problem is when you are the Kansas City Royals and have finished in last for basically a decade you haver to overpay to get players to come to your team until your team is any good and other FA's think hey maybe they are paying some cash now.

Even at a high price like that...Jose Guillen's offensive year each of the past 5 years, has outproduced the best Royals player's offensive season 4 out of 5 times.

HMc
12-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Depends on the situation, though.

I'll explain this out, is that probably to much money to pay Jose Guillen, yes it probably is. Problem is when you are the Kansas City Royals and have finished in last for basically a decade you haver to overpay to get players to come to your team until your team is any good and other FA's think hey maybe they are paying some cash now.

Even at a high price like that...Jose Guillen's offensive year each of the past 5 years, has outproduced the best Royals player's offensive season 4 out of 5 times.

Sounds good to me.

petegz28
12-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I love how people bitch that we need talent then bitch cause we have to pay that talent.

I htink some have sipped the CeePee kool-aid a little too much.

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 07:56 AM

.290/23/99... I'll take it.

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I love how people bitch that we need talent then bitch cause we have to pay that talent.

I htink some have sipped the CeePee kool-aid a little too much.

This from the undisputed king of bitching!

petegz28
12-04-2007, 07:58 AM

I will too considering it was better than ayone else on our team.

If he can hit 20+ and then you throw out the expectation of Gordon and Butler both hitting 20+ we can almost catch Bonds!!!!

petegz28
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
This from the undisputed king of bitching!

There is no winning with a numb nutt like you so stuff it.

Sure-Oz
12-04-2007, 08:01 AM
So we likely have Guillen, what are the odds of getting Jones here? Looks like they want to win as well, and our OF will be tons better with them out there and offensively. People will definetly come out to see a little more star power such as guillen and jones as well. I am looking forward to some more moves shortly.

petegz28
12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
So we likely have Guillen, what are the odds of getting Jones here? Looks like they want to win as well, and our OF will be tons better with them out there and offensively. People will definetly come out to see a little more star power such as guillen and jones as well. I am looking forward to some more moves shortly.

I already sent my check off renewing my season tickets!!!

I can't wait!

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Like I said for 5 years Guillen has consistently been better than every offensive player we've had.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
By the way.....how about the Nationals acquiring an entire starting OF for nothing?

They got Dukes, Milledge and Pena for peanuts...that's serious talent and potential for nothing.

irishjayhawk
12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I haven't seen Moore make a truly bad deal yet. So I can't really disagree with him.

Baird, well, he's another story.

KevB
12-04-2007, 08:15 AM

And that's in Seattle's very pitcher-friendly park.

Sure-Oz
12-04-2007, 08:15 AM
By the way.....how about the Nationals acquiring an entire starting OF for nothing?

They got Dukes, Milledge and Pena for peanuts...that's serious talent and potential for nothing.
They got a really young OF now, but i dont trust Dukes at all. Dude is a little wack, i think TB was ready to give him away.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:20 AM
They got a really young OF now, but i dont trust Dukes at all. Dude is a little wack, i think TB was ready to give him away.

Because of that they got Dukes for peanuts he's worth the risk..and if someone doesn't pan out they still have Austin Kearns who they stole from the Reds.

Sure-Oz
12-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Because of that they got Dukes for peanuts he's worth the risk..and if someone doesn't pan out they still have Austin Kearns who they stole from the Reds.
True, we'll see how it goes but they definetly didnt give up crap. I am hoping the royals moves aren't done. What are the odds of guillen getting suspended though? Wonder if there are clauses in the contract.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:29 AM
From what I understand none of those guys will get suspended because they don't have positive tests.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
My understanding is that if Jones ends up in KC, it will be on a one-year deal. Boras likes to do those one-year deals with FAs whose value has slipped too much to get a huge long-term deal...

I have mixed feelings about that, obviously... don't know how much it helps the Royals long term to bring in a guy for one year, unless you plan to trade him at the deadline.

Jones is a great talent - too bad he still refuses to do anything but pull the ball, even after 10 years in the game...

Personally, I think he's a little washed up...

Sfeihc
12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Why has Jose been on 8 teams in 11 seasons?

MIAdragon
12-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Didn't Jones hit 50 Hr's 2 or 3 years ago?

If you have a power bat in Center it easier to get away with a guy like Dejesus in left.

yea but look at his numbers they are falling like a rock

duncan_idaho
12-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Why has Jose been on 8 teams in 11 seasons?

He's a bit of a headcase. Talented... but immature.

StcChief
12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
he can be the next Sweeney get paid alot, do little.

MIAdragon
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
He's a bit of a headcase. Talented... but immature.

A "bit"??

pr_capone
12-04-2007, 10:48 AM
My understanding is that if Jones ends up in KC, it will be on a one-year deal. Boras likes to do those one-year deals with FAs whose value has slipped too much to get a huge long-term deal...

An article I read on a Braves board a while back stated that Jones has already said he would nix any one year deal.

The article also stated that Jones would not sign before Hunter and another big name CF whose name is escaping me. The plan was to wait them out, then let teams get desperate for a CF. A small bidding war between 2-4 teams ensues and Jones comes out the winner because of it.

Damit.... I gotta find that article again.

siberian khatru
12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
The article also stated that Jones would not sign before Hunter and another big name CF whose name is escaping me.

Probably Aaron Rowand.

duncan_idaho
12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
An article I read on a Braves board a while back stated that Jones has already said he would nix any one year deal.

The article also stated that Jones would not sign before Hunter and another big name CF whose name is escaping me. The plan was to wait them out, then let teams get desperate for a CF. A small bidding war between 2-4 teams ensues and Jones comes out the winner because of it.

Damit.... I gotta find that article again.

Interesting. That's new news to me - everything I had read was talking about the one-year deal and using it to catapault him to a huge multi-year contract.

If that's the case, I want no part of Andruw Jones in Royals blue. Too much of a risk for a franchise like this...