PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackle of the Future Viewing Guide

Chiefnj2
12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Here's a handy-dandy viewing guide to scout out the top offensive tackles that may be available come this April. Sadly, the top two rising stars don't have a postseason game - Oher of Ole Miss, and Otah of Pitt. As for the rest:

Jake Long - Michigan - 1/1/08 at 1 p.m. on ABC
Clady - Boise State 12/23/07 at 8 p.m. on ESPN
Sam Baker - USC 1/1/08 at 4:30 on ABC
Boone - Ohio State 1/7/08 at 8:00 on FOX
Loadholt - OK 1/2/08 at 8:00 on Fox
Cherilus - BC 12/28/07 at 5:00 on ESPN

Micjones
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Clady for my money.

Easy 6
12-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I watched some of the Oklahoma/Mizzou game the other night, that Loadholt guy looked like a Sasquatch out there...he'd be great for a power run game.

Sully
12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I watched LCady at Hawaii, and he was...well...awful.
Loadholt is big, but he false started so many times the other night he was on the bench for a few of 0U's series'.

FAX
12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Great post, Mr. Chiefnj2. But man, I don't know about all this.

Let's say we draft olinemen out the wazoo. It takes several years for a young offensive lineman to A) Learn a system, B) Develop NFL-caliber technique, and C) Gel with his teammates, does it not?

Herm doesn't have that much time. Good for the next guy perhaps, but not good for Herm and his deal. Meanwhile, we're still putting our quarterback (whoever it might be) in a blender. FA is really the only way to go here - particularly at LT.

FAX

Easy 6
12-04-2007, 05:42 PM

Let's say we draft olinemen out the wazoo. It takes several years for a young offensive lineman to A) Learn a system, B) Develop NFL-caliber technique, and C) Gel with his teammates, does it not?

Herm doesn't have that much time. Good for the next guy perhaps, but not good for Herm and his deal. Meanwhile, we're still putting our quarterback (whoever it might be) in a blender. FA is really the only way to go here - particularly at LT.

FAX

If we could get real creative & pull off a coup, we might be able to get a ready made guy like the Browns did in the draft. That guy stepped in & got it done from day 1.

But i dont care how we do it, just go get'im.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Not if you draft the right guy.

Marcus McNeil was a dominant force for the Chargers as a rookie.

Skip Towne
12-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I watched some of the Oklahoma/Mizzou game the other night, that Loadholt guy looked like a Sasquatch out there...he'd be great for a power run game.
He false starts a lot. Probably can be fixed.

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Clady for my money.

Clady is way overrated, and from what I've read about Michael Oher will be a Walter Jones/Orlando Pace talent.

Easy 6
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Probably can be fixed.

Thats what i'm thinking.

Leonard Davis with quicker feet, works for me.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Clady is nowhere near as big as Leonard Davis.

I was talking to someone the other night who said there are no real franchise left tackles in this draft. He said Jake Long was a right tackle.

Easy 6
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Clady is nowhere near as big as Leonard Davis.

Loadholt, not Clady.

Bob Dole
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM

If you took someone solid from a pro-set offense, Bob Dole wouldn't think it would take too long to get them game ready.

And relative to what we have now...

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh those, none of them would even be wise to take as high as we'll be picking outside of Long. Maybe if one of them slips into the 2nd round.

Demonpenz
12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
maybe we can get speiker from mu to replace weigman

FAX
12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay, okay. Granted, there are exceptions, but I still maintain that most olinemen need time to acclimate to the NFL and to a system. Mr. Bob Dole's point is well taken, though. It shouldn't be too difficult to improve on they guys playing on the right side.

Assuming we draft an LT, he'd better be a superstud, though. Otherwise, I still say we look elsewhere - either through FA or work a trade with a pick or two for that position and consider moving the big apple to RT. That alone would take care of two spots leaving us with RG to worry about and Niswanger (sp?) potentially at center. It could work, I suppose.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Oh those, none of them would even be wise to take as high as we'll be picking outside of Long. Maybe if one of them slips into the 2nd round.

If Oher comes out, and just Pwns in offseason workouts, and good tape evaluation expect him to shoot up.

Frankie
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM

FAX
My bet is we'll get a T in the first round and maybe one in a late round. Andnwhile at least one thru FA. I'm hoping we get a FA guard too

Hammock Parties
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Okay, okay. Granted, there are exceptions, but I still maintain that most olinemen need time to acclimate to the NFL and to a system.

Not if you draft them in the first round. The Ravens have been starting RG Grubbs from day one.

Even then, you can find starters in the second and third round. The Dolphins got a starting center in the second round I believe. I know there were a couple guards taken in the middle rounds that started the last couple years. The Jets grabbed a starting center in the draft two seasons ago. Forget his name.

I'd like to see us find one lineman in free agency and one in the draft. Move Niswanger to center and there's your 2008 line.

If Herb Taylor or Stallings can prove something, even better.

Frankie
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
..... from what I've read about Michael Oher will be a Walter Jones/Orlando Pace talent.
Not a Willie Roaf talent? :(

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
If Oher comes out, and just Pwns in offseason workouts, and good tape evaluation expect him to shoot up.

Oher will be up there. He just isn't playing in a bowl game and not a part of the viewing guide.

Frankie
12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I was talking to someone the other night who said there are no real franchise left tackles in this draft. He said Jake Long was a right tackle.
Starks bashers will probably disagree. But he looked like a good LT to my untrained eyes in the slush game the other night.

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Not a Willie Roaf talent? :(

Yes actually, but that's sacrilege mentioning him with a future HOFer

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Long is the most talented Tackle in the draft. He's not quite Joe Thomas, but he's better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Frankie
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Long more and more sounds like another Jon Tait. We took him as LT and the best we could do with him was RT. I don't think spending a top ten pick on a RT is wise.

FAX
12-04-2007, 06:48 PM
He gave up 16.5 sacks in no time, whatsoever? The guy sucks quail peckers.

Mr. Frankie: I agree on the RT deal. No way do we draft that position in the top ten. Too many other needs.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Since the Chiefs have so many draft picks in the 2008 lottery, I think there will be a lot of movement by the Chiefs, up and down. They really have an opportunity to get players they've targeted.

If there's not a value left tackle in the top 10, I expect them to trade down. But I do expect them to draft a left tackle plus a center or right guard on day one.

Until the Senior Bowl, Hula Bowl and Combine, it's dubious at best to speculate which will be the "best" left tackle and where that guy will slot.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM

FAX

In 2007, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley and Tony Ugoh have all played well. Three of the four are starting for playoff contenders (though Ugoh had a season ending injury).

Going back, there's the previously aforementioned Marcus McNeil, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Willie Colon in 2006, Jammal Brown and Nick Kaczur in 2005, Shawn Andrews, Max Starks and on and on, all the way back to Orlando Pace and Jonathon Ogden.

Bottom line: The Chiefs can find a 10 year starting left tackle in the 2008 draft.

The only question is will they?

Chief Faithful
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
No to Jake Long. After Trezelle Jenkins I don't trust that any OT from Michigan is any good at all.

Chief Faithful
12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
If there's not a value left tackle in the top 10, I expect them to trade down. But I do expect them to draft a left tackle plus a center or right guard on day one.

I sure hope you are right. Usually the top center prospects don't get drafted until round 2. That means there is a high probability the Chiefs could get a top OT and Center in the first two rounds.

I would really like to see them bring Stallings up from the PS to replace Niswanger so we can see if he has as much potential as Shields projects.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
No to Jake Long. After Trezelle Jenkins I don't trust that any OT from Michigan is any good at all.

Kind of like how no one should take a Penn St. running back.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I think this is funny shit.........

Ferguson is a ****in bum for where he got picked, he is very average at best. Levi Brown is playing RT which sucks for a guy taken in the top 10. Staley has been pretty meh....Ugoh was alright but he's on a damn good team...

Joe Thomas on the other hand has been awesome. In other words if the Chiefs use a top 10 pick in this draft on a Tackle you damn sure better hope he's better than all those guys but Joe Thomas.....if he's Ferguson we ****ed up, that guy is not good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Ferguson is a ****in bum for where he got picked, he is very average at best. Levi Brown is playing RT which sucks for a guy taken in the top 10. Staley has been pretty meh....Ugoh was alright but he's on a damn good team...

Joe Thomas on the other hand has been awesome. In other words if the Chiefs use a top 10 pick in this draft on a Tackle you damn sure better hope he's better than all those guys but Joe Thomas.....if he's Ferguson we ****ed up, that guy is not good.

Long isn't as big as Thomas, but has good size, is athletic, and is a mean sumbitch.

Chiefnj2
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Levi Brown is playing RT which sucks for a guy taken in the top 10.

Not when your starting QB (supposed starting QB) is a lefty. Then Brown is protecting his blind side.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 08:38 PM

There have been plenty of outstanding offensive lineman graduate from Michigan. Jon Jansen and Steve Hutchison come to mind. There are many, many more.

As I noted earlier, Trezelle Jenkins was drafted by the Chiefs in the late first round for two reasons: Signability and Art Shell's obsession with him.

Notice that Shell was gone shortly thereafter.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Funny how no one complained about 'Brick when the Jets were 10-6. Staley's on a bad team as well. That doesn't mean that both players wouldn't succeed on another team or in Kansas City.

Ugoh was playing very well before injury and while Derek Anderson's been spectacular in Cleveland, let's not forget that the front office drafted Staley AND signed Steinbach to go along with Hank Fraley and Ryan Tucker.

THAT'S a good line.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes the Browns have a good line they've spent about 200 million dollars on it, including LeCharles Bentley who I still don't think is playing....

Ferguson just doesn't have the size and his frame doesn't allow him to add any weight.

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2007, 09:13 PM

Steve Hutchinson and Jeff Backus were real bums. :shake:

Mecca
12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok if that says he's 6'7 he's likely 6'5 at the combine....always minus 2 inches from their college measurements.

Mecca
Steve Hutchinson and Jeff Backus were real bums. :shake:

Backus is kind of a bum...

Chiefnj2
Ok if that says he's 6'7 he's likely 6'5 at the combine....always minus 2 inches from their college measurements.
Is it your opinion Baker is the best OT prospect?

Mecca
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Is it your opinion Baker is the best OT prospect?

Not really, Baker is polished so if you want a very low risk pick I guess. I'd tell you Baker has the same problem Hali had coming out. He's maxed out, he won't get any bigger, his technique is pretty refined, he basically has very little to no upside, he is what he is.

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Backus is kind of a bum...

A little bit but he is a solid starter in the league.

chagrin
12-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Clady for my money.

Why - I would like to read someone's thoughts on this other than anything I can find on Yahoo or hear from the usual talking heads; gimme some info

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Why - I would like to read someone's thoughts on this other than anything I can find on Yahoo or hear from the usual talking heads; gimme some info

I'm not real impressed with him. I would rather have either Long, Baker or Oher from Mississippi.

chagrin
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM

How long ago was Trezelle? And the talent at U of M has grown tremendously in recent years
Backus, who is a solid starter - mecca
Hutch, dominant
Anyone remember John friggin Runyan?

It's okay if you don't want to draft a guy but to say your reasoning is based on a bust 10 years ago, get real

chagrin
12-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Long
Baker
Boone
or "the load"

chagrin
12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
a high probability the Chiefs could get a top OT and Center in the first two rounds.

I like this, I like this a lot

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Oher's the best in the class if he comes out.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
We're still dumbasses for drafting McBride over Ryan Kalil

Mecca
12-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Considering Turk McBride kinda sucks.........ah well we don't need any SC guys...

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Or the guy I wanted Marshal Yanda out of Iowa. He is a starter for the Ravens. Right guard would have been took care of for the next 10 years.

bowener
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Here is a pretty cool site I stumbled across a bit ago. It lists the best tackles from each conference:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jm-oline101207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

It lists additional positions off to the side as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Hell, I've been saying it since last year's draft:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3934772&postcount=1985

Chiefnj2
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
KC should have made a move for Gaither in the supplemental draft.

Easy 6
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Considering Turk McBride kinda sucks.........ah well we don't need any SC guys...

You wouldnt get so much grief around here if you didnt always have such a Black & White take on things.

Its ENTIRELY too early to say he sucks, probably 3/4 of the Hall of Famers wouldnt be there if the coach said "yeah, this guy sucks" after their first year.

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Alot of people are bummed about Clady based on one game they watched.
Regardless, he is a junior and we dont know if he will declare.

Yeah, because the truly great ones wouldn't allow 4th class players run around their ass for a sack