PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove Thread

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis just got traded to Detroit for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, and 4 other prospects.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
The Tigers now have the sickest lineup imaginable.

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
It's without a doubt the best lineup in baseball. Cabrera, Sheffield, Ordonez, Granderson, Guillen, Renteria, Polanco, and Pudge.

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
They might live to regret giving up Maybin AND Miller.

Remember, when we took Hochevar most people around here said Miller was can't-miss, without question the best pitcher in the draft and that he was all but major league ready and had Cy Young upside.

And I was reading here last week that those guys were not available, untouchable, according to Detroit

Mecca
12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
After they picked up that pitcher in last years draft they can afford to make that move.......whatever his name was it escapes me.

tk13
12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
It's a good lineup... their pitching has to get a lot better though. They need a lot of guys to bounce back... Bonderman, Willis, Zumaya. If it doesn't happen they still might not even win the division, the AL Central is that brutal.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Zumaya may not even pitch this year....

It's them and the Indians even with the talent changes the Twins will be worse...probably 3rd place but worse than last year.

Eleazar
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Willis doesn't make this an even trade by pitching like Darrell May again like he did last year.

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think they'll regret the trade simply because Cabrera is going to hit and he's going to hit for a long long time. As long as Piggy Cabrera is there still raking in Detroit, they won't second guess the move.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Also for them the time is now, by the time Maybin and Miller no matter how highly touted they are, are ready, almost all of the Tigers core will be to old.

beavis
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Dang, I was hoping we'd make a run at Willis.

kcxiv
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Damn. Tigers came up. Nice move by the Tigers.

Cabrerra and Sheffield at 3-4. Nice.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Well I think 1-2 in this division are pretty much locked up now...

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
It's a good lineup... their pitching has to get a lot better though. They need a lot of guys to bounce back... Bonderman, Willis, Zumaya. If it doesn't happen they still might not even win the division, the AL Central is that brutal.

I'd take my chances with Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers, Willis, and company.

kcxiv
12-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Thats a hell of a starting line up. Verlander and Willis are number ones for sure. Bonderman is bad ass as well and Rogers is always solid.

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Thats a hell of a starting line up. Verlander and Willis are number ones for sure. Bonderman is bad ass as well and Rogers is always solid.

I love Dontrelle, but he's far from a number one. He's a middle of the rotation guy right now in the AL.

EDIT: w00t, 10k.

RJ
12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I think that will look like a great deal for the Marlins in 2010. As for the Tigers, the additions of Cabrera, Renteria and Jaques Jones give them as good an offense as any team in baseball.

This could end up being the rare win/win trade.

HolmeZz
12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Jacque Jones blows.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Dontrelle Willis is barely above replacement level. It's actually not a bad deal for either team, although I'm always loathe to give up that many prospects.

They now have the 2nd best 3B is baseball who should be able to give them 12 years. With that said, I don't think you can expect Sheffield and Ordonez to produce @ last year's levels.

tk13
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Bonderman, Willis, and Rogers did not pitch as well as their "name" last year. Not that they totally suck, but definitely not lights out. Especially in a division that'll feature Sabathia/Carmona and Liriano/assortment of great young arms... with offenses that won't be too bad either. They might be the division favorite but far from a sure bet.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
How did the Tigers get so good?

I remember them being one of the worst teams in baseball 4-6 years ago.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I still can't believe the Twins traded Garza when they are going to unload Santana.

tk13
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree, I was happy with that trade... I think Garza has a chance to be really, really good.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
How did the Tigers get so good?

I remember them being one of the worst teams in baseball 4-6 years ago.

Made some good trades, had some good young guys come up but mostly they spent money and are still willing to spend even more.

Mecca
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I still can't believe the Twins traded Garza when they are going to unload Santana.

That trade still makes sense though, every prospect they have that is good is a pitcher, they have no top of the line hitting prospects.

They're going to get both back for Santana.....they also had soured a bit on Garza's work habits from what I'd read.

Sfeihc
12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Just checking in from cloud 9..............

Dave Dombrowski for prez in 08. Look what he did for the Tigers in five years. Imagine what he could do for our nation. :)

Archie Bunker
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
some Royals stuff...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Carlos Silva "has been rumored to be headed to Kansas City."

The newspaper speculates that Silva will get "$8-10 million annually," but that figure might be low given the dearth of other quality starters on the market.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/SPORTS01/712060386/1002/SPORTS

"After another meeting with Aaron Rowand's agent, Craig Landis, Gillick said it's a "long shot" the Phillies will re-sign the free-agent center fielder, who is insisting on a five-year contract.

"Fair enough," Landis said of Gillick's comments. "We're still at an impasse on length."

Landis said the "door is always open" to continuing discussions with the Phillies but indicated Rowand won't necessarily give them a chance to match the top offer. Many other teams, including the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox, have said they won't give Rowand a five-year deal. The Kansas City Royals are emerging as a front-runner for Rowand."

official announcement of the Guillen signing...

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2319528&vkey=pr_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

beavis
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
All these reports that the Royals are the frontrunner to sign somebody.... it's starting to be a cry wolf situation.

Sure-Oz
12-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, the royals haven't signed anyone but Guillen. The jones deal didn't work, mainly cause he didn't want to be in the AL. I'd hope we arent done making moves

Eleazar
12-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Rowand, Silva, Guillen, Yabuta would be a pretty decent offseason.

Kinda sucks that Riske is gone (Milwaukee), I hoped we'd keep him, but it should save us a few bucks.

Eleazar
12-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Also: they unveil the powder blue alternate uniforms Friday, and merchandise is supposed to be available on the website that day.

I wish they would make the home uniforms the blue tops and white pants permanently, use the grey on the road, and then white or powder as an alternate.

HolmeZz
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Miguel Tejada traded to Houston for Luke Scott, Matt Albers, Troy Patton, Mike Costanzo, and somebody else.

Demonpenz
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
there aint no way we are doing anything this year with this hard div. I would settle in saving the money until next year and just enjoying watching gordon and butler knock in 100

Eleazar
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't think Miguel Tejada today at 32 or 33 is probably worth five or six different players, unless a few of those guys are schmucks that Houston just wanted to unload.

HolmeZz
12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
He's not. Luke Scott was actually a more productive offensive player last year.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Tejada's name come up on the Mitchell Report tomorrow.

HolmeZz
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Aaron Rowand's signed with the Giants apparently.

Archie Bunker
12-14-2007, 01:58 PM
http://rotoworld.com/

Royals acquired infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Diamondbacks for RHP Billy Buckner.

Callaspo looked like a valuable piece on a Diamondbacks team that has Orlando Hudson under control for just one more year, but Arizona clearly wasn't willing to forgive and forget after last year's arrest on spousal abuse charges. On the Royals, he joins Esteban German and Jason Smith as utility candidates. The team shouldn't need both he and German unless Mark Grudzielanek goes in a trade, so this could be a precursor to another move. We like it anyway. Callaspo has a chance to be a pretty solid regular at second base after Grudzy moves on.

HolmeZz
12-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Dan Haren traded to Arizona for about 6 prospects, headlined by Carlos Gonzalez.

Mi_chief_fan
12-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Also saw a blurb about Jose Valverde traded to the Astros. Definite upgrade over Lidge.

RJ
12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Dan Haren traded to Arizona for about 6 prospects, headlined by Carlos Gonzalez.

Holy crap, the A's just stocked the pond. Lots of prospects here.

from Rotoworld:

The Diamondbacks have reportedly picked up Dan Haren from the A's for OF Carlos Gonzalez, LHP Brett Anderson, OF Aaron Cunningham, 1B Chris Carter, LHP Greg Smith and LHP Dana Eveland.

That's five of Arizona's top 10 prospects, plus Eveland, who no longer qualified. The A's are really going for quantity over quality here, which is pretty surprising. Gonzalez has star potential, but plate discipline is a big issue. Anderson is clearly the best bet of the pitchers. Smith and Eveland are more bottom-of-the-rotation guys, but Anderson could be a No. 2 in time. Now that Haren is gone, the A's might as well trade Joe Blanton, too.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Related: Joe Blanton, Dana Eveland

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

HolmeZz
12-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Jim Edmonds traded to the Padres for a minor leaguer.

Eleazar
12-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Jim Edmonds traded to the Padres for a minor leaguer.

Are the Padres short on ticket takers? :p

Eleazar
12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Other updates:

Kuroda Remains Undecided

After all the ruckus about Hiroki Kuroda earlier this week, his agent said today that he still has not reached a decision. The decision is "very close," and may come by the end of the weekend. The Mariners, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, and Royals have offers out.

No word yet on whether the D'Backs will pull their offer after snagging Dan Haren. I know they're going with the three-year payroll plan, so they can probably still fit Kuroda in.

-

Royals Still Want Kuroda; Could Turn To Silva

Bob Dutton of the KC Star has the latest Royals buzz, as usual.

The Royals are being aggressive trying to win an unlikely bid for Hiroki Kuroda. They might even send Trey Hillman to Japan to make a last-minute pitch. The Dodgers currently lead for Kuroda, who will decide from Japan rather than take a U.S. tour.

Plan B for the Royals is said to be Carlos Silva, but not at a price higher than four years and $40MM. That probably won't cut it for Silva, who can probably get an additional $10MM or another year elsewhere.

-

Also, some guy from the Denver post said on 12-5 that Grudz was available for trade.

-

Royals, Astros, and Reds Interested In Lieber

According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, free agent hurler Jon Lieber is garnering interest from the Royals, Astros, Reds, Mets, and Rangers. Liebs is expected to be ready for Spring Training after a foot injury.

Stark had previously reported that the Astros were not interested.