PDA

View Full Version : Herm Presser 12/7 - Svitek to start

Hammock Parties
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Dunno why the Chiefs cut this out, but Will Svitek is starting at left tackle Sunday.

Donnie, Wesley questionable.

Mac, Turley doubtful.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/12/07/qa_with_herm_edwards__127/

Q: How are you doing as the team struggles?

HERM EDWARDS: “You have to keep people’s hopes alive and you have to let them know at the end that there are some things we’re doing well but don’t show up on the scoreboard because we haven’t won. But that’s part of the process and when you do win you feel we had to go through all this to do it.

“At the end we are going to have a good football team. When the final results come to fruition, we’re going to have a good football team. We started building that a little bit this year and we’ll continue to do that. The players that we have here now just have to understand that’s part of the process. But our goal right now is to go win a football game, to go to Denver and win a football game. We haven’t won a football game in Denver in a long time. Would that be uplifting? Absolutely.”

Q: Are you going into this game with two quarterbacks?

EDWARDS: “Yes.”

Q: And you didn’t want to do that?

EDWARDS: “Well, no but I think we’re forced to do that right now because of some other situations we have at other positions. We wanted to get some young players up, especially along the offensive line, so we needed to do that. We wanted to get a defensive player up on the defensive line, so we had to do that. We’re looking down the road and there are certain positions you want to watch. We just feel like we have two quarterbacks. [Knocks on wood] and, if not, Eddie Kennison is going to come in there and you’ll see a lot of running plays.”

Q: When are two quarterbacks enough for you?

EDWARDS: “Don’t even go there. We’re going with two.”

Q: Boomer Grigsby looks like he’s taken a lot of playing time from Kris Wilson. Why?

EDWARDS: “The running part he’s done a fairly decent job on. We want to get a good look at him, too, because Kris is really playing out of position. He’s really not a true fullback. So, we’re looking for that guy. The more you see of Boomer the more you have to take a look and see if he can really be the fullback. So that’s what’s happened and he’s done a fairly good job when he’s been in there, the blocking part of it.

“But Kris is not in his world and not fair to have him leading up in there. We’re trying to find a guy.”

Q: Then what do you do with Kris Wilson?

EDWARDS: “He’s more of a ‘go’ guy – an H-back.”

Q: But you guys don’t really use that kind of guy?

EDWARDS: “I know but we’re trying to get our best players on the field and that was a way to get him on. Remember he went in there [at fullback] last year because of the injury to Ronnie Cruz. He did the team a favor by going in there and we never did get a true fullback. We struggled there a little bit.”

Q: You never like to use injuries as an excuse, but when you lose so many guys what goes through your head when you have so many other guys out there?

EDWARDS: “That those guys are getting a lot of time playing and we’re getting a true evaluation of them. When this thing is all over you’ve looked at all your players and you’ve got enough information now so let’s orchestrate the plan. If you don’t have information on a player then you don’t know what type of player he is going to be. Does he have an upside, or is he as good as he ever going to be?”

Q: Is your game plan going to be basic and fundamental because of so many new guys in the lineup?

EDWARDS: “You have to make sure you put them in situations where they can be successful. The offensive line is the offensive line. The hardest thing for the offensive linemen is when they can all practice together and play together that’s when they’ll play well. A little bit of our problem there is we’ve had so many guys nicked and they couldn’t practice. Now we switched some guys out. It’s been constraining.”

Q: You’re not the guy who makes the decisions, but this organization made a decision to handle Larry Johnson publicly a certain way. Can you explain why?

EDWARDS: “Because it was in the best interests of the organization. That’s all I can really comment on. We all have to answer to people and I don’t have the last say.”

Q: Any chance Johnson can play next week?

EDWARDS: “We’ll see. He got better this week but I don’t know. As the weeks go on then you have to make that decision. Is it the right decision for the player? That’s what you want to make sure.”

Q: The fact that you got him involved a little bit would seem to indicate you’re at least thinking of getting him back on the field this year.

EDWARDS: “This is true, but then you have to look at where he’s at. Is he 85%? If you put him out there could he reinjure it?”

Q: There is obviously a line where it makes no sense to bring him back. Where are you with that? Are you in a hurry?

EDWARDS: “If he doesn’t get back he doesn’t get back. So you know how I deal with injuries: I always want the player to be safe when he comes back. When a guy goes down I never worry when he’s coming back. I coach the rest of the team. That would be a process every week asking if he comes back. I just coach the next guy who is available.”

Q: Would there be any benefit for him to come back this year as opposed to waiting until next year?

EDWARDS: “It depends on how he feels and not putting him in harm’s way. That’s the most important thing: don’t rush a player too fast regardless if the record is reversed and you’re 8-4. You’ve got to protect the player. We’ll collectively make the decision and do what’s right for the player.”

OnTheWarpath15
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
EDWARDS: “Because it was in the best interests of the organization. That’s all I can really comment on. We all have to answer to people and I don’t have the last say.”

MichaelH
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Q: How are you doing as the team struggles?

Me? I'm doing fine. The team is struggling because they aren't listening to my superior coaching knowledge and Peterson has drafted poorly for 20 plus years.

Crush
12-07-2007, 03:24 PM
HERM EDWARDS: “You have to keep people’s hopes alive and you have to let them know at the end that there are some things we’re doing well but don’t show up on the scoreboard because we haven’t won. But that’s part of the process and when you do win you feel we had to go through all this to do it.

“At the end we are going to have a good football team. When the final results come to fruition, we’re going to have a good football team. We started building that a little bit this year and we’ll continue to do that. The players that we have here now just have to understand that’s part of the process. But our goal right now is to go win a football game, to go to Denver and win a football game. We haven’t won a football game in Denver in a long time. Would that be uplifting? Absolutely.”

**** you, Herm!

Hammock Parties
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Watching Herm's mood in the presser, he seems to have conceded the game already. I won't be surprised if we get blown out.

JohninGpt
12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
"...if not, Eddie Kennison is going to come in there and you’ll see a lot of running plays.”
Damn, Eddie could have been starting at QB all season.

Donger
12-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Would someone please tell this moron that it is "fruition" NOT "fluition."

Hammock Parties
12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
brodie will get killed with svitek at LT. start huard! :evil:

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

We're going to see a real conservative gameplan Sunday.

FAX
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM

That caught my eye, also. I wonder what that means, exactly.

FAX

The Franchise
12-07-2007, 03:43 PM
can someone please explain what he means by this and LJ??

I'm assuming it's another shot at Carl.

talastan
12-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Fire across the Port Bow!!!! :bang: CeePee

Mecca
12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Herm has been taking some shots at Peterson lately.....that's the 3rd one this week.

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Watching Herm's mood in the presser, he seems to have conceded the game already. I won't be surprised if we get blown out.

that pisses me off

he's had this "nothing I can do" attitude all year....his whole conservative philosophy is just a cover for his inability to ACTUALLY COACH....

he is a loser in my book

Reaper16
12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Q: When are two quarterbacks enough for you?

EDWARDS: “Don’t even go there.
LMAO

FAX
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm assuming it's another shot at Carl.

Okay. Tin foil hat? Check. Microwave Unplugged? Check. Electromagnetic Copper Nutsack Shielding? Check.

I still don't get it. How is this a shot at Carl?

Is Herm saying that Carl told him to STFU? That Carl is responsible for the organization not answering the media's questions? That Carl broke LJ's foot himself during a Mamba? What?

FAX

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Sievetek had better play the game of his life. Otherwise, we're going to see Tony Gonzalez at QB.

Reaper16
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Sievetek had better play the game of his life.
Nice.

HemiEd
12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
That caught my eye, also. I wonder what that means, exactly.

FAX

That is as far as he can throw Carl under the bus without getting fired immediately.

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Okay. Tin foil hat? Check. Microwave Unplugged? Check. Electromagnetic Copper Nutsack Shielding? Check.

I still don't get it. How is this a shot at Carl?

Is Herm saying that Carl told him to STFU? That Carl is responsible for the organization not answering the media's questions? That Carl broke LJ's foot himself during a Mamba? What?

FAX

i think he means that any decisions about LJ's status will be made above him (Herm)

Herm is just a foot shuffling porter...see: Huard

Micjones
12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
It's time to survey our inventory.
See what we have... See what we need.

Going into Free Agency and the Draft.

I don't want to see Croyle exposed to injury unnecessarily, but we're out of contention now and don't stand to gain anything from being ultra-conservative.

If anything... Now's the time for new wrinkles and letting your nuts hang.

See what positives you can take into 2008.

Fish
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I think Carl and Herm are going to have a verbal confrontation before the season is over...... I think it's going to get ugly before the season is out...

Eleazar
Maybe since Herm figures we've got nothing to lose, we'll actually win?

Hammock Parties
Sievetek had better play the game of his life. Otherwise, we're going to see Tony Gonzalez at QB.

Stealing this.

Micjones
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe since Herm figures we've got nothing to lose, we'll actually win?

That'd be too much like right.

RustShack
12-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Stallings and Taylor get some playing time at RG and RT, kinda like how they were getting Niswanger in there a lot.

Buzz
12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I think Carl and Herm are going to have a verbal confrontation before the season is over...... I think it's going to get ugly before the season is out...

Fight! Fight!

kstater
12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Herm has been taking some shots at Peterson lately.....that's the 3rd one this week.
If that's what it takes to get Carl out of here, so be it.

kstater
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Stealing this.

Are you going to cite him?

crazycoffey
12-07-2007, 04:17 PM
wait, who are the chiefs again?

Reerun_KC
12-07-2007, 04:34 PM

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Cripple-Fight--C11756058.jpeg

Reerun_KC
12-07-2007, 04:35 PM
If that's what it takes to get Carl out of here, so be it.
then how do we get Herm out of here when Carl is gone?

Will the new GM can his ass?

Warrior5
12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
If anything... Now's the time for new wrinkles and letting your nuts hang.

Croyle's gonna boot-leg the crap out of the Donks on Sunday!

talastan
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Cripple-Fight--C11756058.jpeg

ROFL Hey Reerun_KC..Great minds think alike!! :thumb:

talastan
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Croyle's gonna boot-leg the crap out of the Donks on Sunday!
I would like to see them take the boot up the ass for once!

old_geezer
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
EDWARDS: “Well, no but I think we’re forced to do that right now because of some other situations we have at other positions. We wanted to get some young players up, especially along the offensive line, so we needed to do that. We wanted to get a defensive player up on the defensive line, so we had to do that. We’re looking down the road and there are certain positions you want to watch. We just feel like we have two quarterbacks. [Knocks on wood] and, if not, Eddie Kennison is going to come in there and you’ll see a lot of running plays.”

:shrug: That's not going to be much of a change.

CoMoChief
12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
"Dunno why the Chiefs cut this out, but Will Svitek is starting at left tackle Sunday."

RIP Brodie Croyle.

FAX
12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I think we can go ahead and declare this season a disaster. There are a few bright spots, though.

Maybe the fact that some of our young defensive guys got significant PT will be beneficial. We also got a chance to find out that Kolby has potential. And Bowe, of course. His experience is a benefit. Ummm ... am I leaving anything out?

FAX

Fish
12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I think we can go ahead and declare this season a disaster. There are a few bright spots, though.

Maybe the fact that some of our young defensive guys got significant PT will be beneficial. We also got a chance to find out that Kolby has potential. And Bowe, of course. His experience is a benefit. Ummm ... am I leaving anything out?

FAX

Dear FAX....

Forget me again, I cut you.

Deep.

Signed,

Bobby Sippio future Hall of Universer

Micjones
12-07-2007, 05:48 PM

FAX

I don't think we got young defensive players enough game experience.
It benefitted McBride and Brackenridge, but I would've liked to see more of them along with Tyler and Patterson.

I hope over the last 4 weeks players like Taylor, Allan, Sippio, Stallings, Khreem Smith, Tyler and Patterson get plenty of time.

Let's do inventory...

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 05:50 PM

FAX

the only point of this season was to find out what Croyle has...and we didn't

total failure in my book..."Rebuild" set back 1 year

and for what?

4 wins, Damon Huard, and Carl's ego

Micjones
12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
the only point of this season was to find out what Croyle has...and we didn't

total failure in my book..."Rebuild" set back 1 year

and for what?

4 wins, Damon Huard, and Carl's ego

Just finding out what Croyle has wouldn't have been enough of an accomplishment for the entire season.

Besides...

We learned alot about other players...
Bowe...
Smith...
Niswanger...
Brackenridge...
McBride...

Archie Bunker
12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
If Herm somehow gets Carl fired/forced to step down I'd almost forgive him for his past failures.

It would be the greatest thing a Chiefs coach has done in a long time.

Donger
12-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Are you going to site him?

If GoChiefs has the sight, he will cite him on his site.

LOCOChief
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
then how do we get Herm out of here when Carl is gone?

Will the new GM can his ass?

who's the new gm? who's the new HC?

kstater
12-07-2007, 06:03 PM

LMAO

Thought that didn't look write. ;)

TEX
12-07-2007, 06:05 PM
If Herm somehow gets Carl fired/forced to step down I'd almost forgive him for his past failures.

It would be the greatest thing a Chiefs coach has done in a long time.

Only if Herm leaves too. It's a two-headed monster.

FAX
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Dear FAX....

Forget me again, I cut you.

Deep.

Signed,

Bobby Sippio future Hall of Universer

Point. Unfortunately, Sippio The Great has not been thrown the ball.

FAX

crazycoffey
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM

ROFL

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Just finding out what Croyle has wouldn't have been enough of an accomplishment for the entire season.

Besides...

Bowe...
Smith...
Niswanger...
Brackenridge...
McBride...

Bowe was going to play no matter what...playing those other guys is no big deal, took no foresight or courage, and most played only because of injuries (as did Croyle)....developing a QB is the most important job this franchise has...the most important position on the team...and we punted

Rasputin
12-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Who the F said "how can this season get any worse?": now we start SVishit. Good Gawd yall.

Micjones
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Bowe was going to play no matter what...

Sure he was, but sans the Kennison injury we would've seen Bowe in a less significant role.

playing those other guys is no big deal, took no foresight or courage, and most played only because of injuries (as did Croyle)....

I'm not sure why the staff had to be daring for the growth of other younger players to be important...

I count it all as progress.

developing a QB is the most important job this franchise has...the most important position on the team...and we punted

I think it's a bit unrealistic to think a Defensive-minded Head Coach, a 2nd-year Offensive Coordinator, and a QB Coach who has only had success in NFL Europe could've developed Croyle anyway...

Their biggest responsibility is to fix the offensive line.
So that Croyle's talent can shine through despite their own failings.

FAX
12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
In terms of that, what did we really learn?

1. We have some young guys on defense who can play moderately well at this stage.
2. Our oline needs heavy work. (I don't think we know much more about Niswanger, et al.)
3. Bowe is the real deal and Kolby has potential.
4. There are questions regarding our conditioning program (hamstrings/injuries/4th quarter fade).
5. We can't evaluate kickers worth a tinker's damn.
6. Gonzo doesn't like our offense.
7. Some coaches are pissed.
8. The KC media are a bunch of p*ssies.

I think that's it. True, it would have been nice to get Croyle some significant PT, Mr. the Talking Can, but in retrospect, that may have been the right call given our line situation. Hard to tell.

FAX

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Sure he was, but sans the Kennison injury we would've seen Bowe in a less significant role.

I'm not sure why the staff had to be daring for the growth of other younger players to be important...

I count it all as progress.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to think a Defensive-minded Head Coach, a 2nd-year Offensive Coordinator, and a QB Coach who has only had success in NFL Europe could've developed Croyle anyway...

Their biggest responsibility is to fix the offensive line.
So that Croyle's talent can shine through despite their own failings.

well, what did you learn about McBride and Brackenridge? I can't say I learned much of anything though I am glad they played...

Smith should have been the #2 back and played, if we were rebuilding...and the Croyle excuse is just lame....

there are no perfect scenarios in the NFL...it could be years before we have a good OL again, there are no guarantees...and what if we sign a good OT and he gets injured? Do we bench crolye for Huard and keep waiting? again, it's just a form of being afraid....if Croyle could play in the 9th game he could have played in the 1st

Croyle had to play, he didn't....now we have to start from scratch next year when "supposedly" all these great young players are going to be ready...ready to watch our QB struggle, a year behind everyone else...

the Talking Can
12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I think that's it. True, it would have been nice to get Croyle some significant PT, Mr. the Talking Can, but in retrospect, that may have been the right call given our line situation. Hard to tell.

FAX

unless you have the power to control the future, waiting makes no sense...things could get worse, or stay the same, or improve marginally, or magically become perfect...

Rasputin
12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
The bottom line is we wouldn't have won those four games w/o Jared Allen. This team that they put together is by far the worst in 20+ years even in a "rebuilding year".

I'm still exited bout Brodie to D Bowe, the potential of greatness is huge imo., Not much after that,. Tony G. how much longer? JA are they gonna keep him long term? Need O line desperatly, need another WR, need another pair of CBs, MLB, is LJ going to be ok, NEED A KICKER, is Tamba hurting us now, FB? We have no dept at any position left. Our K return & punt return pathetic.

This team has gotten progressivly(sp) worse as the season goes on. Brodie has not had enough playing time to get better from, imo. The team has regressed & not gotten better, some injuries yes but they had a chance to start Brodie while we were healthy after the Jags game and then he could have had the support of the starters like LJ and D Mac before they got hurt.

Svitec... :shake:

TEX
12-07-2007, 07:34 PM
This team has gotten progressivly(sp) worse as the season goes on. Brodie has not had enough playing time to get better from, imo. The team has regressed & not gotten better, some injuries yes but they had a chance to start Brodie while we were healthy after the Jags game and then he could have had the support of the starters like LJ and D Mac before they got hurt.

Yep. The fact that this team has gotten worse as the season goes on is in large part due to bad coaching in most every phase.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I ain't citin' shit.

OctoberFart
12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
When are the Queefs going to extend sperms contract?

Easy 6
12-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Svitek has been beaten up one side & down the other every time i've seen him play...he just doesnt look strong, nor quick enough to be an NFL LT.

Brodie needs to put that ballcap on & refine his understanding of the game from the sideline Sunday.

Let Damon limp out there & take the hits.

FAX
12-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Svitek has been beaten up one side & down the other every time i've seen him play...he just doesnt look strong, nor quick enough to be an NFL LT.

Brodie needs to put that ballcap on & refine his understanding of the game from the sideline Sunday.

Some of these guys are playing for a roster spot at this point, Mr. scott free. Maybe even for their NFL career. Herm's said all week that he's evaluating players at this point. That's a heck of a motivator.

And, given the fact that we're close to having an awesome spot in the draft, it will be just our luck that these guys will light it up on Sunday.

FAX

Rasputin
12-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Some of these guys are playing for a roster spot at this point, Mr. scott free. Maybe even for their NFL career. Herm's said all week that he's evaluating players at this point. That's a heck of a motivator.

And, given the fact that we're close to having an awesome spot in the draft, it will be just our luck that these guys will light it up on Sunday.

FAX

I just assume we light it up this Sunday & kick Dungvers Arse!!!

Svitec... :deevee:

Easy 6
12-07-2007, 09:10 PM

FAX

With all due respect Mr. FAX, i'll always take the win over a draft spot or 2...but your point resonates with me in that, i dont want some dog having a good game that fools the coaches into thinking he'll do for 08.

MadMax
12-07-2007, 10:21 PM

Yea cause Damon is the future... :rolleyes: ;)

MadMax
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
The bottom line is we wouldn't have won those four games w/o Jared Allen. This team that they put together is by far the worst in 20+ years even in a "rebuilding year".

I'm still exited bout Brodie to D Bowe, the potential of greatness is huge imo., Not much after that,. Tony G. how much longer? JA are they gonna keep him long term? Need O line desperatly, need another WR, need another pair of CBs, MLB, is LJ going to be ok, NEED A KICKER, is Tamba hurting us now, FB? We have no dept at any position left. Our K return & punt return pathetic.

Very well said, and I agree.. I'm waiting for the draft and refuse to get emotionaly involved for the rest of this season. I laughed and meant it for the 1st time when Huard threw his last pick, actually I called the sack sack pick sequence before it happened lol and the coach take me out im hurt.... ^.^

Hammock Parties
12-08-2007, 12:34 AM

Besides...

Bowe...
Smith...
Niswanger...
Brackenridge...
McBride...

id also love to point out that we figured out that Tony Gonzalez has still got it, having maybe the best season of his career so far. Thats one person im really ****ing glad we resigned.

Mecca
12-08-2007, 05:22 AM
If you don't think the Chiefs can develop a QB then the franchise will never be a contender. If this decade has taught us anything it's that the consistent contenders and the really good teams all have franchise QB's.