PDA

View Full Version : FA CBs Anyone?

philfree
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Wow! There are some good ones breaking free and we need an upgrade.

From Footballs Future:

Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots
Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. His interception total was impressive, but so was his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. In the first six games of the current season, he has three picks, and has kept up his strong play, continuing to shutdown receivers and helping the Patriots to an undefeated record to this point. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, he’ll command big dollars on the market, especially if he keeps the pace up.

Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
The former Colts safety has a new home this season, and if he can avoid injury, he could see a long-term deal from Minnesota. Doss recorded a pair of interceptions in just six games last season, and has two picks each of the past three seasons. He has the ability to make an impact in slowing the opposition’s rushing attack, and has plenty of playoff experience under his belt. Doss is developing into a leader and is a defensive weapon that many teams wouldn’t mind having.

Domonique Foxworth, RFA, Denver Broncos
The Broncos added Dre’ Bly during the off season, so Foxworth will still be used mainly as a nickel defender. Foxworth is fast, but doesn’t always make the best play on the ball. He’s just 24, so experience and playing time should help his development. If another team thinks he can be a top two cornerback, he may seek to leave Denver to take on that bigger role. His RFA status will make it difficult to pull him away from the Broncos, but the cornerback position is one of great significance in the modern NFL, so there’s a chance.

Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Florence has held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play since having his position challenged. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006. The Chargers can probably afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots
Gay is just 25, and while he benefits from playing for a solid Patriots team, he is still a decent player in his own right. He’s been able to step up even more this season and post solid numbers, while also showing more consistency. He has registered 25 total tackles through the team’s first ten games, to go along with three interceptions. The Patriots and Gay will look to keep him in New England, but a few teams could jump in and try to lure him away, including the New York Jets, who were interested in Gay last offseason.

Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Trufant’s contract has voided based on playing time and given the team’s commitment to other players at his position, it appears that the cornerback will be looking for a starting position elsewhere. His 2004 season was easily his best, when he compiled 96 total tackles, five interceptions, and a sack. He was unable to match that type of production until this season, in which he has 58 total tackles and four picks through eleven games. He will be one of the top defensive targets on the market.

Ken Hamlin, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
The Arkansas product has 43 total tackles and four interceptions in eleven games, and has helped Dallas to one of the league’s best records. If he can add another interception before the end of the season, he’ll have a new career high and will help his value on the market. Hamlin is still young at 26, and should have several seasons ahead of him, so there will be teams interested in using him at the safety spot.

I think we need one of these guys and my fav is Trufant. Samuel would be like fav 1a.

PhilFree:arrow:

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
For several reasons, Gay is the only one that I'd be interested in.

NTTAWWT.

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
If they're over 25 years old then hell no. This team has enough players that are on the downhill side of their career.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I like Asamugha

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
If they're over 25 years old then hell no. This team has enough players that are on the downhill side of their career.

Exactly.

Gay is the only one who is has the right money/talent/age combination going for him.

The rest of those guys are either going to cost too much, are too old, or both.

philfree
12-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Did you read about them? If you did then you'd have seen that these guys aren't old but in the prime of there careers. Same goes for some of the FA O linemen who will be available this offseason.

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Did you read about them? If you did then you'd have seen that these guys aren't old but in the prime of there careers. Same goes for some of the FA O linemen who will be available this offseason.

Exactly. We sign them at the prime of their careers, then they can suck when they get really expensive. It's Chiefs FA 101. Straight out of CP's "Placate the Masses Playbook".

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
You take a guy who is two years from the prime of his career, sign him to a 5 year deal, and then kick him to the curb if he won't stay on cheap after that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Additionally, with all the holes this team has we can't afford to get into bidding wars with teams that think they're one player away. Hell, we aren't even one side of the ball away right now.

philfree
12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Exactly. We sign them at the prime of their careers, then they can suck when they get really expensive. It's Chiefs FA 101. Straight out of CP's "Placate the Masses Playbook".

LOL..I don't guess we'd want Marcus Trufant for the best four years of his career. :rolleyes: We'll have the cap money this year to pick up some impact FAs and fix our team. Sorry if that doesn't appeal to you but between our draft position and the FAs available I think we can put together a roster that has a long window to achieve success.

~this should be a fun offseason~

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:34 AM
LOL..I don't guess we'd want Marcus Trufant for the best four years of his career. :rolleyes: We'll have the cap money this year to pick up some impact FAs and fix our team. Sorry if that doesn't appeal to you but between our draft position and the FAs available I think we can put together a roster that has a long window to achieve success.

~this should be a fun offseason~
Trufant has been up and down his whole career. What makes you think that's going to suddenly change once he gets the big payday?

As for our draft position, who's going to be making that pick again? *cough*Ryan Sims*cough*

philfree
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Trufant has been up and down his whole career. What makes you think that's going to suddenly change once he gets the big payday?

As for our draft position, who's going to be making that pick again? *cough*Ryan Sims*cough*
Cry me a river. After Sims we drafted LJ, DJ, Hali and Bowe all pretty good players so I think we have a little bit of a chance to draft a decent player or two.

ceebz
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
I'd rather spend those cap dollars on O-Line help. I'm not sure who's available but, O-Linemen tend to stay at the top of their game longer than CB's do.

Plus, I'd really like to see Brackenridge on the field more. When he's out there he seems to make plays. He may be good enough to be a starting corner in a Cover 2 scheme.

Simplex3
12-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Cry me a river. After Sims we drafted LJ, DJ, Hali and Bowe all pretty good players so I think we have a little bit of a chance to draft a decent player or two.

When you draft that early they better be more than decent. They're going to cost a fortune. It could be argued that DJ and Hali aren't that great and Bowe has been dropping some easy ones lately but I'm going to hang that on the QB carousel he's had.

philfree
12-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I'd rather spend those cap dollars on O-Line help. I'm not sure who's available but, O-Linemen tend to stay at the top of their game longer than CB's do.

Plus, I'd really like to see Brackenridge on the field more. When he's out there he seems to make plays. He may be good enough to be a starting corner in a Cover 2 scheme.
Don't disagree with that but looking at where we need to upgrade there ares some good players who'lll be available. There's sverl good O linemen who are 25-26 years old who I'd love to sign and to me should be a priority to sign. Some have rings on their fingers allready and they know what it takes to win.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Corner is a position where age is evident......

Simple question if you don't think the Chiefs will be ready to contend for 3-4 years which is likely..why sign a player that will be old and declining and making a ton of money when those years come about?

This is a main reason LJ shouldn't have been signed.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Upgrade the line and we can win the west. Upgrade the defense and its harder for the offense to lose games. Bring in all the players you can that are no older that 26-27.

philfree
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Corner is a position where age is evident......

Simple question if you don't think the Chiefs will be ready to contend for 3-4 years which is likely..why sign a player that will be old and declining and making a ton of money when those years come about?

This is a main reason LJ shouldn't have been signed.

I believe we can fix our team pretty quick with the cap dollars and the FAs who are available. Those are FAs who will make an immediate impact and are only 25-26 years old. Couple that with a decent draft and this team can be better in one year. Just by signing a couple O linemen we can improve dramatically IMO. It shouldn't be hard to upgrade our siev of a line with players like Ryan Lilja an Max Starks. Thes guys are solid and still young. i'd rather try then cry.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Ok so you are in favor of the Peterson FA bandaid plan which will net us some 9-7 years but leave us never really good enough to win.

philfree
12-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Ok so you are in favor of the Peterson FA bandaid plan which will net us some 9-7 years but leave us never really good enough to win.

I favor signing good players who have alot of years left and championchip experience. Carl Peterson is not in my thinking at all. You don't think we need to sign any FAs at all? Just draft some rookies and that'll fix it?

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:06 AM
The Patriots wouldn't be the team they are now if they didn't use the Draft AND Free Agency. The team should be mostly built through the draft, but you need to sign some free agents too. JUST not the ones CP would go for, we need young players, not over paid, who fit the system.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Certain value free agents......

Do I think they need to bid for Asante Samuel, hell no. Do I think they should try to sign a 30 year old guard like Faneca, absolutely not.

This team needs to first build a young core group of players that are the base of the team, that is done in the draft. Then you use FA to maximize that core.

Out in FA they should be looking for players roughly 24-26 that have something to prove, fit in and aren't looking for huge pay days. Paying a couple FA's isn't going to make the difference in this team.

I want to see a real contender not an 8-8 if that means taking a couple 4-12's I'm ok with it.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:07 AM
The Patriots wouldn't be the team they are now if they didn't use the Draft AND Free Agency. The team should be mostly built through the draft, but you need to sign some free agents too. JUST not the ones CP would go for, we need young players, not over paid, who fit the system.

I can only name 1 player the Pats gave elite money to in FA..and this was after they had won and were an elite team...

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I didn't say anything about elite money, I don't want us to spent elite money.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:11 AM
I didn't say anything about elite money, I don't want us to spent elite money.

Ok well most of these people around here when they talk FA talk about guys like Samuel and Faneca who are probably both going to want a shit load of money.

philfree
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Certain value free agents......

Do I think they need to bid for Asante Samuel, hell no. Do I think they should try to sign a 30 year old guard like Faneca, absolutely not.

This team needs to first build a young core group of players that are the base of the team, that is done in the draft. Then you use FA to maximize that core.

Out in FA they should be looking for players roughly 24-26 that have something to prove, fit in and aren't looking for huge pay days. Paying a couple FA's isn't going to make the difference in this team.

I want to see a real contender not an 8-8 if that means taking a couple 4-12's I'm ok with it.

Lilja and Starks fit your profile it seems to me. Any good player isn't gonna be dirt cheap and since on offense we have a very nice group of young skill players and then Gonzo adding a few good still young FA linemen seems to also fit your profile. The draft will still be there and if we can pick just a couple of key FAs we can draft the best player available when it's out turn and not draft for position. We can still build through the draft.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Other than Max Starks isn't any good......he got benched because he gives up 9+ sacks every year....he's not a solution...

I also don't favor signing guards of any kind because I feel you can draft starting guards in rounds 3-5 if you know what you are doing.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Faneca, hell no. I would LOVE Samual, but he might be too much especially with what we could be spending on our first round draft pick. If they can fit him in along with our draft picks, and other young free agents to help build a better team I'm all for it.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Might be.....Samuel is probably going to want 60-70 million with over 20 to sign...

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:22 AM
My main concern right now is Peterson, Solari, Curl, and Priefeir. After them we need and Oline. I personally wouldn't mind drafting Ellis or Doresy first round, because there will be a first round talent in the 2nd round when we draft. Either Clady, Baker, Otah, or Oher will still be there, there is no way that many lineman go in the first round.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Jake Long still sounds very nice though.

philfree
12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Other than Max Starks isn't any good......he got benched because he gives up 9+ sacks every year....he's not a solution...

I also don't favor signing guards of any kind because I feel you can draft starting guards in rounds 3-5 if you know what you are doing.

Starks isn't starting but he's better then what we have and he shouldn't be too expensive. I won't disagree about drafting guards but i think this team can improve dramatically if we can upgrade our line in the offseason. if we can't run the ball and protect Croyle he'll get beat down and our chance to develope a QB will be gone. I'm not really all that big on signing a high dollar CB I'd prefer to draft a young stud to go with our other good yound defensive talent. We are gonna have to pick up a few FAs so tell me what positions you'd target? IMO another 4-12 season doesn't have to happen for us to build a champion.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:28 AM
I honestly need to see some sort of list of FA's....Bryant Johnson is someone I like but that all comes down to how much money he gets too.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:28 AM
I said this in another thread, but I would like to see something like this on our line next year. McIntosh(healthy of course)-Waters-Niswanger-FA(Starks maybe)-Rookie(Long, or first round talent drafted in 2nd round)

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:29 AM
We need a lot of young people who are not over paid.

philfree
12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I honestly need to see some sort of list of FA's....Bryant Johnson is someone I like but that all comes down to how much money he gets too.

Allow me. Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Ok I'll list guys that I would attempt to sign...

Mewelde Moore UFA Minnesota Vikings
Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks
Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

I bolded my big money guy...

RustShack
12-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Albert would be NICE!

HMc
12-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Albert will be alright. Until he loses the plot on the field again and gets suspended for a year.

Frosty
12-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm guessing that Trufant will be tough to pry away from the Seahawks if they make any effort whatsoever to retain him. He has played in Washington state his entire career, back to peewee football.

Sully
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Mecca,
Why is it a foregone conclusion that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild?
It's my opinion that in today's NFL it takes 2... if it takes longer, you aren't doing it right.

Sully
12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Ok I'll list guys that I would attempt to sign...

Mewelde Moore UFA Minnesota Vikings
Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks
Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

I bolded my big money guy...
I'd be very VERY happy with that list.

The Bad Guy
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd be very, very leery of giving Haynesworth any money. The guy is a typical contract-year guy who will likely fade back once he gets his big money.

I think making a trade for Deangelo Hall would be a very, very good move.

kcchiefsus
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
When you draft that early they better be more than decent. They're going to cost a fortune. It could be argued that DJ and Hali aren't that great and Bowe has been dropping some easy ones lately but I'm going to hang that on the QB carousel he's had.

Give me a break. DJ and Hali were picked in the middle of the 1st round and are performing like you would expect a mid-1st rounder to perform. I didn't realize DJ's 76 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 FF, and 2 interceptions was considered not that great. And no, it really can't be argued that Hali isn't that great. It can be argued that he has 6 sacks despite playing injured all season.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 08:51 AM
It can also be argued that Dlinemen don't usually break out until their 3rd/4th years in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Don't be surprised to see DeAngelo Hall in a Chiefs uniform.

Chiefnj2
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I'd be very, very leery of giving Haynesworth any money. The guy is a typical contract-year guy who will likely fade back once he gets his big money.

I think making a trade for Deangelo Hall would be a very, very good move.

I agree with you on Haynesworth. This is the first time he is playing very well. Give him the big bucks and he'll bust.

Why pay so much money to Deangelo Hall to play the cover 2?

The Bad Guy
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree with you on Haynesworth. This is the first time he is playing very well. Give him the big bucks and he'll bust.

Why pay so much money to Deangelo Hall to play the cover 2?

I think the big point with Hall is that he won't have a big signing bonus to be paid out, the Falcons took care of that.

I also hope that this cover 2 nonsense is scrapped next year.

DaKCMan AP
12-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Samuel (and possibly Trufant) is going to demand major $$$$$$$$$$$$

Alphaman
12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Given the fact that we can cut both Law and Surtain (possibly trade) I'd try to sign 2 CBs in free agency. My 2 choices would be Trufant and Asomugha.

I'd also try to sign an OT, WR and Kicker:

Jordan Gross would be my top choice at OT
Bryant Johnson would be my top choice at WR (although I'd keep a very close eye on Michael Clayton with Tampa. He's in his 4th year and is now a back up there. He only has 10 receptions this year, so he's not a big part of their plans. I'd inquire about trading for him with a low round pick).

I'd go after Brown the Kicker from Seattle.

Fish
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Samuel (and possibly Trufant) is going to demand major $$$$$$$$$$$$

Didn't Samuel ask for a crazy amount of money when he was a FA before NE? I seem to remember him asking for a crazy high signing bonus...

Micjones
12-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd take Randall Gay.
He'd be a great acquisition for this team.

Along with either...
Chris Snee, Ryan Lilja, Chris Kemoeatu or Jake Scott
AND...Either...
Bryant Johnson, Patrick Crayton or Bernard Berrian

Get everything else through the draft.

DaKCMan AP
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Didn't Samuel ask for a crazy amount of money when he was a FA before NE? I seem to remember him asking for a crazy high signing bonus...

Yes, he was franchised and held out. This year he's making $7.9 million.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Mecca,
Why is it a foregone conclusion that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild?
It's my opinion that in today's NFL it takes 2... if it takes longer, you aren't doing it right.

Because I'd rather be good for a long period than be good for a short one..

Being good in 1-2 years requires dropping a ton of cash on vet FA's.

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd take Randall Gay.
He'd be a great acquisition for this team.

Along with either...
Chris Snee, Ryan Lilja, Chris Kemoeatu or Jake Scott
AND...Either...
Bryant Johnson, Patrick Crayton or Bernard Berrian

Get everything else through the draft.

I think you and I are the only people on the Chris Kemoeatu train.

I think he'd be a GREAT addition, but IIRC, he's a RFA.

Not sure what it would take to get him.

Steelers have to keep SOME of those guys. (Faneca, Starks, Kemoeatu)

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
The Steelers generally walk away from guys....Faneca is old and Starks isn't a starter anymore....They can replace both of them with picks that come after the first round.

By the way Chris Snee ain't leavin the Giants, he's married to Coughlins daughter.

The Bad Guy
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
The Steelers generally walk away from guys....Faneca is old and Starks isn't a starter anymore....They can replace both of them with picks that come after the first round.

By the way Chris Snee ain't leavin the Giants, he's married to Coughlins daughter.

I bet Coughlin doesn't last next year.

Snee signed a contract extension. I played against him in high school - dude is an animal.

SBK
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Bryant Johnson, Ryan Lilja, and maybe take a look at Suggs

Micjones
12-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Bryant Johnson, Ryan Lilja, and maybe take a look at Suggs

Bryant Johnson and Ryan Lilja?
Sounds like a hell of a way to start FA...

Micjones
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I think you and I are the only people on the Chris Kemoeatu train.

I think he'd be a GREAT addition, but IIRC, he's a RFA.

Really? I thought he'd be a UFA.
Well, I suppose the hometown kid would want to come back. Lilja...

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Why is everyone obsessed with Ryan Lilja...

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Really? I thought he'd be a UFA.
Well, I suppose the hometown kid would want to come back. Lilja...

I just checked to make sure....

He and Trai Essex are RFA's.

Starks and Faneca are UFA's.

Micjones
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Why is everyone obsessed with Ryan Lilja...

I don't know that obsessed accurately describes my interest in him.
He's was born in Kansas City though.
And he's a quality young Guard.

Why not?

Micjones
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I just checked to make sure....

He and Trai Essex are RFA's.

Starks and Faneca are UFA's.

I wouldn't want Faneca.
He's on the wrong side of 30.

Starks wouldn't be a bad acquisition, but I think Jordan Gross would be better.

OnTheWarpath15
12-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't want Faneca.
He's on the wrong side of 30.

Starks wouldn't be a bad acquisition, but I think Jordan Gross would be better.

Agreed, except that I think Starks would be a bad signing.

If we were to acquire a OT through FA, I think Gross would be the best bet.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think you should sign Guards unless it's like Steve Hutchinson.....

I outlined the guys I think they should pursue, I think most of those guys would come at good value, obviously not signing all of them.

RustShack
12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
If we signed Starks I would rather us move him to RG

Micjones
12-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Agreed, except that I think Starks would be a bad signing.

If we were to acquire a OT through FA, I think Gross would be the best bet.

Starks is nothing to write home about, but I think he'd be inexpensive and a clear upgrade over Turley/Terry.