PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo worked out for the Chiefs

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
According to Mitch Holthus. Romo came in and worked out and really wanted to become a Chief but the staff at the time decided not to sign him.

Jonathan Quinn was eventually our 3rd string QB.

I just thought that this would make some people's day like it did mine.

:Poke:

Skip Towne
12-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Why am I not surprised?

HonestChieffan
12-11-2007, 08:26 AM
with our O line and Herm at the wheel, Romo would be here now wishing he was a Falcon or a Lion...you know a team with potential.

petegz28
12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
This si why we cannot trust Carl & Co. with all these draft picks we have.

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
with our O line and Herm at the wheel, Romo would be here now wishing he was a Falcon or a Lion...you know a team with potential.

Probably true. But just think for a moment with Romo as our QB, LJ, Tony G, and Dbowe we would be pretty damn good offensively.

Dartgod
12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Hindsight. Who cares?

Dartgod
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Probably true. But just think for a moment with Romo as our QB, LJ, Tony G, and Dbowe we would be pretty damn good offensively.
Bullshit. There is no QB in the history of the NFL that would perform well behind this years ofensive line. No one.

Mr. Kotter
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Bullshit. There is no QB in the history of the NFL that would perform well behind this years ofensive line. No one.

And, "that the fact, Jack!"

Spot on. :clap:

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Hindsight. Who cares?

I just find it interesting that is all. The Chiefs had Tony Romo here and he wanted to be here and they let a future franchise QB walk out the door.

Bob Dole
12-11-2007, 08:39 AM

You obviously don't know Tony Romo!

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 08:40 AM

I totally agree I was just imagining if this team had a decent O-Line. This is the first year in 19 years we have had a pretty bad O-Line. Last years wasn't nearly as bad as this one.

HonestChieffan
12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I hear Romo was mad about the weather forcasters in KC and when he found out they dont focus on Olathe, he said screw it.

JohninGpt
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I think Tarkinton would be right at home running for his life.

digi2fish
12-11-2007, 09:01 AM

we should acquire Jared Lorenzen

Messier
12-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, yes. And Every team passed on Joe Montana three times and Tom Brady Six times. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chiefnj2
12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
It took a while for Romo to develop. He couldn't beat out Quincy Carter at one point.

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, yes. And Every team passed on Joe Montana three times and Tom Brady Six times. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

While that is true IMO this is totally different. Romo was an undrafted FA that came and worked out for the Chiefs and according to Mitch Holthus told the Chiefs this is the place he wanted to be.

Carl Peterson and this organization couldn't identify a franchise QB if it fell into their lap.

Brock
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
While that is true IMO this is totally different. Romo was an undrafted FA that came and worked out for the Chiefs and according to Mitch Holthus told the Chiefs this is the place he wanted to be.

Carl Peterson and this organization couldn't identify a franchise QB if it fell into their lap.

I'm happy for Romo.

siberian khatru
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM

To be our left tackle.

bkkcoh
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM

He is probably capable to play LT.... :banghead:

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm happy for Romo.

No doubt. He went to an organization that actually cares about winning.

Sanka
12-11-2007, 09:19 AM
He is probably capable to play LT.... :banghead:
Funny thing is, I remember when Jared was at Kentucky and one of there games on on TV. They took a picture of the OL with out pads on and a helmet on, and gave Jared a OL-men's jersey. Then they told the viewers to pick Jared out of the line up. You couldn't really tell which one was him, cause he was just as big as most of their OL.

PastorMikH
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Kinda like how the Ravens had some RB nobody knew burried on their depth chart and finally decided to let him go. We picked him up as a RB to add to our rotation and found one of the best RBs of the decade.

Who knows what Romo would have done here. A completely different set of circumstances would have played out here than did in Dallas.

Fish
12-11-2007, 09:24 AM

I don't think it's totally different.... 31 other teams also failed to identify Romo as a franchise QB. And Dallas almost gave up on him at several points. He looked pretty awful.

Romo developed slowly, and then picked it up very quickly. You can't fault anybody for not predicting that.

Dartgod
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't think it's totally different.... 31 other teams also failed to identify Romo as a franchise QB. And Dallas almost gave up on him at several points. He looked pretty awful.

Romo developed slowly, and then picked it up very quickly. You can't fault anybody for not predicting that.
Are you new here?

From the Chiefsplanet Lexicon:

College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC

QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC

BigRedChief
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Yep, I'm not faulting King Carl on this one. It's like blaming King Carl for not picking Tom Brady in the 5th round ahead of NE.

Despite his own highly inflated evalauation of his GM skills King Carl is not smarter than all the other NFL GM's.

Zouk
12-11-2007, 09:30 AM

I think you can very much fault them for not recognizing that there was talent there to develop, and instead going with Damon Huard/Jonathan Quinn types as the 3rd quarterback.

The Vermeil/Carl/Stiles era could give a crap about anything other than the present and left this roster in shambles as a result.

DMAC
12-11-2007, 09:32 AM

Brett Favre could. Brett Favre.

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 09:38 AM

All good points I just find it interesting that is all.

I think you can very much fault them for not recognizing that there was talent there to develop, and instead going with Damon Huard/Jonathan Quinn types as the 3rd quarterback.

Yep.

Fish
12-11-2007, 09:51 AM

The Vermeil/Carl/Stiles era could give a crap about anything other than the present and left this roster in shambles as a result.

It's not just as easy as "recognizing" talent. Especially at QB. Even more so for an UFA QB. If you get to the NFL period, you're going to have noticeable talent. Recognizing the potential to develop to the next level is the tough part. It takes an almost perfect scenario for somebody like Romo to make it to the top. The right amount of luck/opportunity/trust from coaches all happening at once.

I'd venture to bet that there are some QBs out there who went through the system with the talent to be a HOF QB, but just never had the right opportunity to develop.

Chiefs_5627
12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Romo barely beat out Drew Henson for a roster spot. Hindsight is 20/20.

Direckshun
12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
You know, every single team in the NFL passed on Tony Romo. Even the Cowboys, initially.

Sully
12-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Even if we had signed him, do ou honestly think he'd have developed the way he has?

Fish
12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Even if we had signed him, do ou honestly think he'd have developed the way he has?

2 Seasons with Dick Curl.... Romo would've been taping Huard's ankle.....

KCFalcon59
12-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I still blame CP for drafting Todd Blackledge over Dan Marino. :p

Eleazar
12-11-2007, 10:22 AM
OMG the royals passed on albert pujols LOLZORZ!!!!!!!!

Well, so did every other team, about 13 times.

Skip Towne
12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, we should have seen Carl as a bust right then.

suds79
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Oh please don't remind me. That fact haunts me. :banghead:

Just imagine what the history of this franchise would have been if they had drafted Dan Marino. :hmmm:

Pitt Gorilla
12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Romo was a great QB at Eastern Illinois with all the tools. IIRC, he won the Walter Payton Award as well. He always had crazy talent.

Chief Pote
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM
On average, behind every excellent QB is a good QB coach. Check it out.

kc1977
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Just as no coach in the history of the NFL would perform well given the shape of this franchise post-Dick Vermeil-debacle.

Skip Towne
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Just as no coach in the history of the NFL would perform well given the shape of this franchise post-Dick Vermeil-debacle.
And yet Herm was able to back them into the playoffs.

kc1977
12-11-2007, 11:50 AM
And yet Herm was able to back them into the playoffs.

Yeah, I think there are more things not to like about Herm than like about him, that said, he does deserve credit for that. On the other hand, it took into this year for the full effect (hopefully) of how bad Vermeil left us for the future to show.

I still say Carl should be fired for ever hiring Vermy in the first place, his friend who just had a point to prove to the league, not really caring about team success. If the new GM wants to come in and replace Hermy too, be my guest.

That said, Herm should be given at least as much slack on what he inherited on this team as Brodie is on the offensive line he inherited.

Herm can only clean up so much of Vermeil's mess each year.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2007, 11:56 AM
romo would get owned by our line

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Bill Parcells has publicly stated that if Tony Romo would have been forced to start at QB his first season, he'd be out of the league. It takes time to develop quarterbacks and fortunately for Romo, he was given the necessary time (three and a half seasons). I hope that the Chiefs (and their fans) are that patient with Croyle.

For more proof, take a look at Sage Rosenfels. He's bounced around the league and in his seventh year, looks very, very good for Houston in place of Matt Schaub.

kc1977
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Bill Parcells has publicly stated that if Tony Romo would have been forced to start at QB his first season, he'd be out of the league. It takes time to develop quarterbacks and fortunately for Romo, he was given the necessary time (three and a half seasons). I hope that the Chiefs (and their fans) are that patient with Croyle.

For more proof, take a look at Sage Rosenfels. He's bounced around the league and in his seventh year, looks very, very good for Houston in place of Matt Schaub.

Are you suggesting we bench Croyle, so that he can develop in the same manner that Romo did?

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Most likely not.....

This just goes back to Vermiel and his stupid "these are our guys" jackass speeches he'd always give and the fact that he hated young players....he didn't even want backups to be young guys.

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Are you suggesting we bench Croyle, so that he can develop in the same manner that Romo did?

Absolutely not.

That's what you read into it?

The Cowboy's offense is much further along than the Chiefs. And even after the Chiefs offense has been rebuilt in the offseason, there's no guarantee that Croyle won't struggle at times.

But the Chiefs and their fans will need to patient during that time.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I also hope people realize that at some point if Croyle hasn't gotten it, you'll have to admit he's Kyle Boller and move on and not keep going with him for a multitude years going "oh he's developing"

Messier
12-11-2007, 12:19 PM

How can you tell you have a franchise QB until they play? How were the Chiefs supposed to know? All QB's can look good in practice.

The Cowboys must have not known for three years because he sat third on the depth chart. They were fools!

Come on I realize Carl is a prick and all but jeez.

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
the Chiefs could work out any HOF QB and let them walk for a Todd Blackledge type. It's our MO

Zouk
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I also hope people realize that at some point if Croyle hasn't gotten it, you'll have to admit he's Kyle Boller and move on and not keep going with him for a multitude years going "oh he's developing"

Agreed. The Lions and Texans wasted 4 years each on Joey Harrington and David Carr saying if we just change this or that they'd be fine, and it never was true.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the case for Brodie at this point, but history does show that teams do sometimes hold on too long.

AggressiveNapkin
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Nothing surprises me at this point with the chiefs. Yeah Romo might not have panned out here but he had to be better than Johnathan Quinn at least.

When the scouting staff didn't know Ben Roethlisberger was a D-1 QB it's hard to put much stock into what they think

crazycoffey
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM

vick?

JohninGpt
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
vick?
He's behind a pretty solid line right now.

crazycoffey
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
He's behind a pretty solid line right now.

But he's still getting the sacks.......

JohninGpt
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
But he's still getting the sacks.......
Not going to scramble out of the pocket this time.

dirk digler
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Agreed. The Lions and Texans wasted 4 years each on Joey Harrington and David Carr saying if we just change this or that they'd be fine, and it never was true.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the case for Brodie at this point, but history does show that teams do sometimes hold on too long.

Yep. Isn't it like 16-20 games of starting in the NFL before you can really tell if they are going to be a franchise type QB?

If after 2-3 years and they are still struggling you have to cut them loose.

Mecca
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Yep. Isn't it like 16-20 games of starting in the NFL before you can really tell if they are going to be a franchise type QB?

Here's an example....JP Losman do you think he still deserves a shot? He's started more than 20 games and shown no real improvement.

Zouk
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM

I think we'll know enough after next year. I don't mean that his stats have to be great, just that he needs to show signs of developing into a winning QB.

kc1977
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Absolutely not.

That's what you read into it?

The Cowboy's offense is much further along than the Chiefs. And even after the Chiefs offense has been rebuilt in the offseason, there's no guarantee that Croyle won't struggle at times.

But the Chiefs and their fans will need to patient during that time.

Yeah - you said you have to give Croyle time just like Tony Romo was given time. We'll, I recall Tony Romo coming out of nowhere starting last year. Must mean that he was "developing" on the bench.

I'll have patience when there is a QB worthy of giving patience too. Not just one I'm fixated on because he has a hot wife.

Fish
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah - you said you have to give Croyle time just like Tony Romo was given time. We'll, I recall Tony Romo coming out of nowhere starting last year. Must mean that he was "developing" on the bench.

I'll have patience when there is a QB worthy of giving patience too. Not just one I'm fixated on because he has a hot wife.

Tony Romo most certainly did not "come out of nowhere". You're thinking of the point in which you started hearing his name on ESPN, etc.

Tony Romo was a URFA in 03. Not a single team wanted to draft him. Dallas finally signed him as the 3rd QB. But for 3 years he couldn't move up the depth chart past Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, or Drew Bledsoe. He was the 3rd QB for 3 years! Didn't show a thing. He finally got his chance when Drew Bledsoe sucked it up so badly that Parcells gave up on him and put in Romo, basically having no other options.

They had no idea he was anything more than a backup. Yes, he was "developing" on the bench.....

DaneMcCloud
12-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Croyle will need time to develop. Whether it's on the bench, backing up or starting, there's no way in the world that you can expect a third round QB to immediately take you to the playoffs.

FTR, he IS developing. His lone touchdown drive was a masterpiece on Sunday. 3/3 on 4th downs. He definitely has what it take to be a successful starting QB. He just needs time to develop.

And playing behind an NFL caliber offensive line would go a long, long way in speeding up his development.