PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era in KC

siberian khatru
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
A moment of silence, please -- before the cheering starts.

Brown's days with Royals end

12/12/2007 1:46 PM ET
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals will not offer a 2008 contract to outfielder Emil Brown, who led the team in RBIs the last three seasons.

The Royals announced on Wednesday -- the deadline for such action -- their intention to non-tender Brown, who becomes a free agent.

"Emil did a very solid job for us. The sole reason is it gives us more flexibility to improve our team going forward," general manager Dayton Moore said.

He noted that the Royals' outfield now features Jose Guillen, Mark Teahen, David DeJesus and Joey Gathright. Brown was being squeezed out, especially since the signing of Guillen last week.

"It was a difficult decision, but ultimately, Emil was going to have to be a part-time player and the way we were set up, other players seemed more suited to a part-time role," Moore said. "Emil needs to play every day."

Last year Brown made $3.45 million and is eligible for salary arbitration, which usually results in a sizable increase.

Brown did not play every day in 2007, even though he led the Royals with 86 and 81 RBIs the previous two seasons. In the 2005 and '06 seasons, he banged 17 and 15 home runs, respectively.

Last season, he got into just 113 games and had six home runs but still led the run-deprived Royals with 62 RBIs. He averaged one RBI for every 5.9 at-bats, his best mark in his three years with the club.

Brown started just 90 games and shared left field with several players, most notably the speedy Gathright, a .307 hitter.

Brown, who will turn 33 on Dec. 29, batted .279 in his three seasons with the Royals with 38 home runs and 229 RBIs in 410 games.

After playing parts of five seasons for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Brown was traded to the San Diego Padres in 2001. But he didn't play in the Majors for the next three years, finally making the Royals as a non-roster player in the spring of 2005.

Moore said that Brown would be the Royals' only non-tendered player. The roster stands at 39, one under the limit.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Who is Emil Brown?

siberian khatru
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Who is Emil Brown?

You can find out by reading the inscription on the statue of him they're gonna erect in front of Kauffman Stadium one day.

And by "in front of," I mean across the parking lot, next to the interstate, in a drainage ditch.

gblowfish
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Who is Emil Brown?
This year he'll be going by the name "Jose Guillen."

Chief Faithful
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Who is Emil Brown?
An average hitter and suck-ass left fielder with hands of stone, noodle arm, and feet in mud. Everytime I saw him in the field I would realize how far the Royals still had to go.

I disliked Emil Brown more than any other player on the roster. I guess Dayton Moore had similar feelings.

Rooster
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM

ROFL I think you might be right.

Demonpenz
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
class act and royals hall of famer congrats

Chief Faithful
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Man, I hope you are wrong. The last thing the team needs is a $12M a year Emil Brown in left field.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
That was one productive SOB, a pure superstar in the making, the next Joe Dimaggio, Sammy Sosa, pee wee herman.

siberian khatru
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

ROFL

I think Guillen has more power, but, yeah ...

Eleazar
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I've said a million times, that when we see people like this leaving the team because they aren't good enough to play every day, we'll know we are getting better.

There's nothing to dislike about Emil. He seems like a good guy and nobody has ever said he didn't care or give effort. Not everyone is a ballplayer on a playoff team, that's all, and a playoff team is what we should make ourselves up to look like.

ChiefsCountry
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Guillen is a better fielder than Emil Brown.

Eleazar
12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Seems like a vote of confidence for Gathright as well. If he can keep hitting .300, wow, what a deal.

Remember the trade being run down here, because Moore had given up our top pitching prospect for Gathright? In 2007 J.P. Howell was 1-6 in 51 innings with Tampa Bay with a 7.59 ERA.

I didn't like Gathright at the time, but at the least, it doesn't seem like we gave up much.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I've said a million times, that when we see people like this leaving the team because they aren't good enough to play every day, we'll know we are getting better.

There's nothing to dislike about Emil. He seems like a good guy and nobody has ever said he didn't care or give effort. Not everyone is a ballplayer on a playoff team, that's all, and a playoff team is what we should make ourselves up to look like.

Once again you're wrong!

Sure-Oz
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Emil sucked on/off the field as well, couldn't hit worth a crap, admired his HR's even though he hit 7 all year, and he rarely signed autographs cause his bitches would get antsy to get in his SUV. He also looked as good as jose canseco fielding. Much better defender and hitter in Guillen.

Ari ümlaüt
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
He should have never hit Rhonda Moss with that pellet gun.

gblowfish
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually, it was Karen Kornacki.
http://tinyurl.com/2lqg48

Phobia
12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I've never even heard of the guy.

Chief Faithful
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM

You were able to complement Emil Brown while dissing Jose Guillen in one thought. Nice.

Even without the roids Guillen is a better hitter and fielder. Emil Brown was a disaster.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I wonder if the Royals are going to make any other moves? So far it's just been that jap reliever and guillen as far as signings. Hope we can get a pitcher as well

irishjayhawk
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
PBJ PBJ

Best news all year.

:toast: :wayne: PBJ

BigRock
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
JoPo:

A lot of people, including a couple of work friends and some brilliant readers here, are thinking that this Jose Guillen signing will mean that the Royals will (finally) be rid of Emil Brown. They seem to believe this is sort of an added bonus of this whole Guillen signing — the prize in the Cracker Jacks box. People in KC are generally very, very sick of Emil Brown. If Guillen is the prince of the story, Brown has become the dragon.

I have poked fun at Emil in the past because this is what I do, but it’s always been (I hope) good natured fun. I’m going to stop doing that entirely now because (1) I generally like the guy quite a bit and (2) He’s a whole lot better than people seem to realize.The trouble with Brown is that he has had this knack for doing elaborately and spectacularly goofy things, like dropping fly balls and kicking grounders and letting balls off the wall dance around him like Ginger Rogers. One error for Emil has always felt like three or four for someone else. Plus he ALWAYS gets off to slow starts. He’s a lifetime .208 hitter in April. Because of these things, people tend to think he’s a much worse player than he actually is.

So, for the benefit of all, here are the statistics of Emil Brown and Jose Guillen the last three years:

Brown: .279/.340/.428, 85 doubles, 8 triples, 38 homers, 28 steals (6 CS), 121 walks, 274 Ks, 229 RBIs, 196 runs in 1607 PA.
Guillen: .274/.333/.457, 75 doubles, 5 triples, 56 homers, 7 steals (2 CS), 87 walks, 268 Ks, 215 RBIs, 193 runs in 1537 PA.

I hope those numbers popped your eyes out. They popped my eyes out. I can’t even find my eyes.

siberian khatru
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
JoPo:

When comparing Guillen and Brown's numbers, keep in mind that Guillen the last three years played in pitchers' ballparks (Wash. and Seattle), while Brown played in the K, which IIRC slightly favors hitters.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2007, 03:32 PM
When comparing Guillen and Brown's numbers, keep in mind that Guillen the last three years played in pitchers' ballparks (Wash. and Seattle), while Brown played in the K, which IIRC slightly favors hitters.
Plus Emil sucks on defense really bad and generally is not a clutch hitter

RockChalk
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
There's nothing to dislike about Emil. He seems like a good guy and nobody has ever said he didn't care or give effort.

you must have been watching a different Emil Brown...

how many pop-ups did he have drop behind him, in front of him, or to his side during his few years here? to me, that's a lack of focus, which is just a different way of saying lack of effort.

also, if he ever hit one deep, he'd stand at home plate watching the ball like he had just hit a 600 foot homerun.

you are right, there would be nothing to dislike about Emil Brown if the KC Royals were a Tuesday night beer league softball team.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2007, 04:14 PM

how many pop-ups did he have drop behind him, in front of him, or to his side during his few years here? to me, that's a lack of focus, which is just a different way of saying lack of effort.

also, if he ever hit one deep, he'd stand at home plate watching the ball like he had just hit a 600 foot homerun.

you are right, there would be nothing to dislike about Emil Brown if the KC Royals were a Tuesday night beer league softball team.
emil also had the gayest music like kelly clarkson, or carrie underwood crap

sedated
12-12-2007, 04:25 PM
what a catch 22:
you aren't good enough to play everyday.
but you have to play every day to not suck donkeynutz.

I've seen Emil make some great grabs in th OF, but not enough to make up for his inconsistency.

and he was the biggest choker in crunch time.

chiefqueen
12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Who is Emil Brown?

He couldn't hit the baseball with a bat to save his life but he had no problem hitting sports anchors with a BB gun.

schneider221
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
hey guys give him some credit, he hit a handful of HR's...... to bad they were all in august when the royals were up 8 or down 8 so it didn't really matter.

gblowfish
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Or he'd watch it soar, it would hit 2 feet below the top of the wall, and he'd get thrown out by 15 feet at second trying to stretch an excuse me double.

What a tool.

beavis
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Emil and Buddy in the same year... I'm just beside myself at this moment. :deevee:

Eleazar
12-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I watched a guy who wasn't very good trying to play outfield. It isn't his fault the Royals paid him $2 million or whatever it was. I'd sign the check and run out there with my glove too.

Mr. Laz
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
i never thought he was that bad by comparison to other Royals.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Last year he was brutal, his defensive gafs have cost us, i want to know his 2 out rbi stat or clutch hit avg, id be suprised if it were above .220

AggressiveNapkin
12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
PBJ PBJ

Best news all year.

:toast: :wayne: PBJ

Sums up my feelings. I hate this arrogant bitch

CHENZ A!
12-12-2007, 11:09 PM

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8563/20070816tq4.jpg

Wa-Z
12-13-2007, 01:27 AM
He came to my work once in his sweet Bentley...was there with some girl I work with.