PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Remember and Copy The Titans

C-Mac
12-14-2007, 07:31 AM
GRETZ: Remember and Copy The Titans (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/12/14/gretz_remember_and_copy_the_titans/)
Dec 14, 2007, 5:52:54 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Chiefs fans should pay particular attention this week to the Tennessee Titans.

Not because they are coming into Arrowhead this weekend still fighting for a wildcard spot in the AFC playoffs. And they shouldn’t zero in on the Titans because they have former Heisman Trophy winner Vince Young as their starting quarterback.

No, Chiefs fans should watch the Titans closely while understanding that the team from Nashville has laid out a road map for rebuilding quickly and relying heavily on the draft to add talent.

Right now, the Titans are about two years ahead of where the Chiefs find themselves. They will come into Arrowhead with a 53-man roster that has 41 players that have been added in just the last three seasons (2005-07.) On that 53-man roster are 28 players drafted by the Titans, including 17 in just the last three drafts.

And of those 17 choices from 2005-07, eight are in the starting lineup.

In the last two seasons, the Titans have challenged for a wildcard spot while posting a combined record of 15-14. That does not rank them among the best teams in the league because they failed to make the tournament last year and need help to make it this year. Their rebuilding remains a work in progress.

So while that may not seem like much, take into account that in the 2004-05 seasons, they were a combined 9-23. In fact, from the 14th game of the 2005 season to the fifth game of the 2006 season, they lost eight straight games. The Titans started last year with a 2-7 record. Since then, they’ve gone 13-7.

The Titans rebuild came after a five-year run where they were 56-24 with two division titles and four appearances in the playoffs, including a trip to the Super Bowl at the end of the 1999 season. They lost that championship game by just inches to Dick Vermeil’s St. Louis Rams.

They couldn’t get over the hump again with that team, and year-by-year they got older and their payroll rose. Eventually, they found themselves in salary cap hell and were forced to make some very hard decisions. That started in 2004 when players like Eddie George, Lance Schulters and Jevon Kearse all left in free agency. The next year it was Derrick Mason, Kevin Carter and Samari Rolle. Last year it was Steve McNair.

For the most part the Titans used the draft to rebuild their roster. The draft that provided the bulk of their current talent came in 2005. They had 11 picks that April and three seasons later, eight of those 11 are still on the roster and four are in the starting lineup. That’s despite losing their first-round choice from that season Pacman Jones to an NFL suspension.

But they got starters out of the ‘05 draft at left tackle (Michael Roos), right tackle (David Stewart), wide receiver (Roydell Williams) and tight end (Bo Scaife.)

They added starters from the ‘06 draft at quarterback (Young), running back (LenDale White), safety (Calvin Lowry) and right cornerback (Cortland Finnegan.) This year No. 1 draft choice Michael Griffin is starting at free safety.

The Titans haven’t ignored free agency. They’ve hit the unrestricted market in the last three years and signed DE Kyle Vanden Bosch (’05), LB David Thornton, RB Travis Henry and C Kevin Mawae (’06) and CB Nick Harper and WR Justin Gage (’07.) They also added LB Ryan Fowler this year as a restricted free agent. None of those deals were for salary cap breaking numbers.

Right now among the Titans 22 starters for this Sunday’s game, only four are 30 or older. The Chiefs have that many on their offensive line alone. Tennessee’s average age among starters is 26 years of age.

The Titans are not done rebuilding. But they have blazed a trail for the Chiefs to follow.

DaKCMan AP
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
And they shouldn’t zero in on the Titans because they have former Heisman Trophy winner Vince Young as their starting quarterback.

When did Vince Young win the Heisman? :spock:

C-Mac
12-14-2007, 07:43 AM

Back when... during the.... probably should have.

HemiEd
12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
He is correcting an obvious oversight committed by the Heisman voters.

Phobia
12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Come on Bob. It takes about 6 seconds of research. Gochiefs could have spotted the mistakes. Just horrible.

Not only that but if the Chiefs are aspiring to be what the Titans are.... TWO years from now, I don't think I want any part of that.

The Titans did a complete roster purge a long time ago. The Chiefs won't even admit that's what they need - which puts them a heckuva lot longer than two years behind Tenn. Please don't tell me the Chiefs are hoping for a .500 team in 2010.

DaKCMan AP
12-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Come on Bob. It takes about 6 seconds of research. Gochiefs could have spotted the mistakes. Just horrible.

Not only that but if the Chiefs are aspiring to be what the Titans are.... TWO years from now, I don't think I want any part of that.

The Titans did a complete roster purge a long time ago. The Chiefs won't even admit that's what they need - which puts them a heckuva lot longer than two years behind Tenn. Please don't tell me the Chiefs are hoping for a .500 team in 2010.

Plus the Titans were in "salary cap hell". The Chiefs are in no such situation.

TEX
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
The Titans are not done rebuilding. But they have blazed a trail for the Chiefs to follow.

Except for one minor detail - The Titans PLANNED on rebuilding and embraced it. The Chiefs cowardly BACKED INTO IT. I'd bet on a team that chose to do it and announced it rather than one who did it by default any day. Because at the end of the day, the team that chooses to do something can forge its own way - the team that can't is constantly reacting and won't be able to finish the job because somewhere along the way, bad habits will take over. That's why it's time for Clark to move in a different direction when it comes to Carl.

C-Mac
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
They lost that championship game by just inches to Dick Vermeil’s St. Louis Rams.

Oh the drama. I've heard people say this many times, but the fact is they fell inches short of tying the game.

Bob Dole
12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Please don't tell me the Chiefs are hoping for a .500 team in 2010.

Too bad it's probably the truth.

Hurry everyone! Sign up for season tickets!!

Phobia
12-14-2007, 08:13 AM
You know what is absolutely hilarious?

The Chiefs will probably slip on a banana peel and accidentally beat the Titans Sunday. But, let's aspire to be a mediocre team backing our way into the playoffs or just missing just like the Chiefs of yore.

I'm usually a little more optimistic than this but the crap being spewed on kcchiefs.com is really infuriating.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Too bad it's probably the truth.

Hurry everyone! Sign up for season tickets!!

Wahooo! Lets keep the mediocrity train a rolling!

Now give me back my thread capabilities and quit jacking with my account! :cuss:

Radar Chief
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm usually a little more optimistic than this but the crap being spewed on kcchiefs.com is really infuriating.

It’s ok, that was a crap article.
I can’t believe Gretz actually wrote that Young won the Heisman. :rolleyes:

Chief Henry
12-14-2007, 08:21 AM

I don't even pay attention to Bob Gretz anymore. As a mater of fact, I hardly pay attention to much coming out of One Arrowhead lately.
Carl has pretty much shot my enthusiasm for the Chiefs until major changes are made out there.

KC Jones
12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
It’s ok, that was a crap article.
I can’t believe Gretz actually wrote that Young won the Heisman. :rolleyes:

Based on him calling the playoffs the "tournament" I wouldn't be surprised if Carl wrote that.

chop
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Except for one minor detail - The Titans PLANNED on rebuilding and embraced it. The Chiefs cowardly BACKED INTO IT.

That's what annoys me. The Chiefs weren't in "transition" until they knew there was no way they were going to make the playoffs. Once that was settled, all of the a sudden, the coaching staff and managment declare that this was a transition year.

If they knew this was a transition year all along why did Huard start. What was the whole "he gives us the best chance to win" philosophy.

Why keep Chris Terry and Kyle Turley? Why didn't they choose to start Niswanger and Taylor. Svitek should have started on the right side all year long.

chop
12-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I don't even pay attention to Bob Gretz anymore.

I agree. He's pretty much on the same level as the warpaint writers. They both have an agenda and will twist the facts (or totally make them up) to support their arguments.

donkhater
12-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Yay, two years and we can be mediocre. Woo-hoo!!

bobbything
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm hoping in two years we're not simply "fighting" for our playoff lives. I hope we've already locked up a spot.

The Titans aren't exactly what I want to be. This article should be re-written with the Patriots or Colts in mind.

Gretz is really reaching here.

chop
12-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Yay, two years and we can be mediocre. Woo-hoo!!

But they still have a chance to make the playoffs. I think that is what he considers a success. It doesn't matter that they are not going to win anything. If they can back into the playoffs they are a success in his mind.

Demonpenz
12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
will they give v young the heisman when bush gets it stripped/

siberian khatru
12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
This may be the worst week in the history of the kcchiefs.com propaganda writers. They've really shoveled some shit.

the Talking Can
12-14-2007, 09:15 AM
This may be the worst week in the history of the kcchiefs.com propaganda writers. They've really shoveled some shit.

it is breathtaking....Carl owns KC

Bob Dole
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM

It sure does seem like they're putting in some serious OT trying to convince everyone that the emperor ain't nekkid.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2007, 09:22 AM

Haha. I offer my services to KcChiefs.com. But I refuse to edit Eileen Weir columns on principle.

Brock
12-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Yizzay, next year we're getting Pac Man Jones!!!

bobbything
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
former Heisman Trophy winner Vince Young
Wow. Just...wow.

FAX
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM

I think he meant that Vince won the Piesman. The award you get for winning the San Antonio Taco Company's Annual Chile Pie Eating Contest.

It's a big, gold chile pie with a laurel wreath and some things that look like berries on a hand-rubbed walnut base.

FAX

BigChiefFan
12-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Funny how the Titans were already IN the SuperBowl and yet the Chiefs haven't even come close in well over a decade-a major FACT that Chiefs can't hang their hat on. There's so many holes in Gretz' story. The Chiefs FO have really taken the wind out of my sails when it comes to enthusiasm for the team. Carl is covering his ass and has no regard for the fans. Up yours, Carl-we're on to your pathetic GMing and we want you replaced, punk.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Comparing LJ to Pacman is over the line. I just don't see Young as having it, AT ALL

Mecca
12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I enjoy how he ignores the Titans best player Albert Haynesworth....

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2007, 12:16 PM

If Haynesworth is the smash the players skull with your foot, while he is down dude. Some DV is still floating around Arrowhead.

The Titans have some personnel issues

Sure-Oz
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
The Titans have a hell of a HC and coaching staff, that is why they can do so much with so little.

jAZ
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
You think Herm would be willing to bring in Norm Chow's offense?

FringeNC
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
makes me sick to read this garbage -- as if a few bad years guarantee a SB berth or something. Herm and Carl are not the right guys for the job, and it's obvious.

King_Chief_Fan
12-14-2007, 12:42 PM
2 years ahead of the Chiefs? That is depressing.

Who here can wait 2 more years to see the Chiefs be in the same situation as the Titans? Barely hanging on to a wid card playoff?

I was really wanting something different than that.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
The cancer will be benign in 2009!

Brock
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
You think Herm would be willing to bring in Norm Chow's offense?

On second thought, I was right about Vince Young.

jAZ
12-14-2007, 01:15 PM
On second thought, I was right about Vince Young.
Only if you ignore what you actually said, and replace it with what you might have been right about, even at the time.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Did the Titans start getting better after Gun left? Gretz you crafty dog

DaFace
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
If Haynesworth is the smash the players skull with your foot, while he is down dude. Some DV is still floating around Arrowhead.

The Titans have some personnel issues

I'm not saying that I'd want Haynesworth on the Chiefs, but he's been a beast on the field this year and hasn't gotten into any trouble that I've heard of. He's definitely got temper issues, but I don't think he's a bad guy necessarily.

2bikemike
12-14-2007, 03:33 PM
The problem with Gretz's philosophy is the Chiefs can't draft for shit. Oh sure they have hit a on a few good prospects here and there. But they whiff more than they hit.

Thig Lyfe
12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
He is correcting an obvious oversight committed by the Heisman voters.

He's assuming Yahoo! Sports will finally succeed in stripping Reggie Bush of his Heisman.

FAX
12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying that I'd want Haynesworth on the Chiefs, but he's been a beast on the field this year and hasn't gotten into any trouble that I've heard of. He's definitely got temper issues, but I don't think he's a bad guy necessarily.

I wouldn't mind having him, Mr. DaFace. Albert got a bad rap for stomping on a guy's head that one time. He said he was sorry, though.

Actually, he's just a big, giant kid with cleats.

FAX

ottawa_chiefs_fan
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Anybody that picks a title for their article before they write it - is an ass.

Phobia
12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
You mean the DT selected 9 picks AFTER the Chiefs DT, Ryan Sims?