PDA

View Full Version : If I hire a tweaker

Phobia
12-15-2007, 03:12 PM
to do construction, of which things do I need to be wary?

I know they steal more than your average guy so I'm aware of that. But are they more prone to injury? I know they'll work hard.

I just need schooled because I have no idea. Never been around the stuff.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2007, 03:15 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5417/tweakernationpupilsgd0.jpg

Brock
12-15-2007, 03:15 PM
This story ends, "and so then my trailer full of tools was never found".

Mr. Laz
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
i imagine attendance and punctuality might be an issue

Adept Havelock
12-15-2007, 03:23 PM
They'll work their ass off until they crash, then you won't hear from them for several days.

Theft will also be an issue. IMO, bad news.

ILikeBigTiddys
12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Dont do it. They will steal.

Iowanian
12-15-2007, 03:25 PM
If the tweeker doesn't steal.....his crackhead pals he tells about your trailer full of tools will.

Valiant
12-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Wow..

I know you are smarter then this decision.. Seriously just say no.. You are probably trying to give the person a brake but you will get burned..

Hammock Parties
12-15-2007, 03:29 PM
High potential for injury and then your ass gets sued.

Spott
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
My brother-inlaw has been a "tweaker" since he was about 19(he is 34 now). My only advice is stay the hell away from him if at all possible.

greg63
12-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Phobia said tweaker...

StillHonest
12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Have em use a buddies tools so they dont take yours

DeepSouth
12-15-2007, 03:34 PM
What's a tweaker ?

Spott
12-15-2007, 03:37 PM
What's a tweaker ?

A coke/meth head.

DeepSouth
12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
A coke/meth head.
Why would anyone hire one of those?

cdcox
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Are you willing to face the liability and have your reputation damaged when this person steals from your clients?

booger
12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Just hire mexicans

penguinz
12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I am drug free and could use a career change if you pay enough. ;)

stumppy
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
If drug testing were introduced at my last job I would have lost some of my best people. My experience has been just because someone likes to do drugs recreationaly doesn't mean they have no morals. It all depends if they have it under control or it has them under control. I ran across one every now and then that I had to get rid of. But the vast majority of the ones that did drugs were dependable, honest, good employees that didn't let their partying interfere with their job.

I'd rather have an employee that liked to do the speed as opposed to one who came in hungover on a regular basis.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't even know why you would consider it.

Skip Towne
12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Most tweakers are too skinny to do much work.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2007, 03:48 PM
If drug testing were introduced at my last job I would have lost some of my best people. My experience has been just because someone likes to do drugs recreationaly doesn't mean they have no morals. It all depends if they have it under control or it has them under control. I ran across one every now and then that I had to get rid of. But the vast majority of the ones that did drugs were dependable, honest, good employees that didn't let their partying interfere with their job.

I'd rather have an employee that liked to do the speed as opposed to one who came in hungover on a regular basis.
Do you choose your employees better than you choose your girlfriends? I would hope so.

Valiant
12-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Do you choose your employees better than you choose your girlfriends? I would hope so.

Zing.............lol

Extra Point
12-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I can read a subsequent post, paraphrasing a comment: "Hey, Doug. I appreciate your genius, but next time, let's not convert the sink plumbing and the Jenn-Air into a reactor!"

jjjayb
12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Why would anyone hire one of those?

To get meth. Phil is there something you're not telling us? :hmmm:

Ari ümlaüt
12-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I might suggest instead...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DF865DMHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Iowanian
12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
A tweaky is at best, Unreliable.

I know....I just hired 3 of them I've known for a long time to do some work on my basement. the first 4 days they were supposed to have been here, they weren't. The week they did show up, they came on tuesday, and needed 100 to go "buy tools". The job was mostly completed, but the minute I paid, they didn't finish the last 2hrs of work they needed and promised to do. Its been a month now, and I had a cousin help me finish it myself.

One of my best friends was a meth head....and I didn't trust him any further than I could drag him with a truck when he was doping. He'd be the first to tell me that was a good policy.

A druggy will steal from their own mother......Think about that.

rageeumr
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I had a concrete crew at a job once that had a few tweakers, including the foreman (if you could really call him a foreman). Theft aside, what you gain by cheap labor will be outdone 2 fold by rework. It doesn't matter how fast they work if they're ****ing it up.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Just curious...
Why do you want to hire a tweaker?

Cheap labor? Cant find anyone better? Sympathy??

patteeu
12-15-2007, 05:34 PM
They hate to get their hands dirty, they tend to be effeminate, they aren't usually very smart, they've only recently become acquainted with college football and when it comes to basketball they usually underachieve in the end.

Eleazar
12-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I would also register my prediction that tools are stolen or stuff is stolen from clients

kstater
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
They hate to get their hands dirty, they tend to be effeminate, they aren't usually very smart, they've only recently become acquainted with college football and when it comes to basketball they usually underachieve in the end.

LMAO

He said Tweaker. With a T.

;)

StcChief
12-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Phobia, are you serious? you'll have to watch him like a hawk. even as a laborer.....

Construction is turning into a job nobody wants to do.
I'd get a an illegal mexican, yard work is going now....

Adept Havelock
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM

LMAO

Possibly your best post of the year.

go bo
12-15-2007, 06:10 PM

I know they steal more than your average guy so I'm aware of that. But are they more prone to injury? I know they'll work hard.

I just need schooled because I have no idea. Never been around the stuff.tweakers are generally speaking a risk for any employer...

most tweakers binge for awhile and then look to come back to work...

so attendance might be a problem...

and after awhile he might become a little paranoid and even delusional, depending on how much and how often he uses...

as we said in the 60's, speed kills...

and it hasn't changed that much since then...

although in most cases it just ruins lives...

if i was hiring people for construction, i wouldn't hire a tweaker for a million bucks (well, maby less than that)...

actually, i don't think i would hire a tweaker to do anything...

mikeyis4dcats.
12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
worst.
idea.
evar.

alanm
12-15-2007, 06:16 PM

I just need schooled because I have no idea. Never been around the stuff.
There's probably a few questions you haven't mentioned Phil.
Does this guy use on a regular basis?
Or is he serious about quitting or has quit?
How well do you know the guy.. is he a friend(acquaintance)?
Does he know that you know he uses?
How far are you willing to trust the guy.
The reason I ask is because if he's a guy trying to turn his life around and needs a job and a break and is in NA. I'd say do it.
If he's still using on a regular basis and is bouncing from job to job and isn't dependable I'd consider passing on him.
If he knows you know he uses and it's somewhat cool with you and the guy is a good worker you can take your chances and see how it goes.
But I'd tell the guy if his work, attendance ect. starts to be affected by his using I'd establish ground rules from the beginning.
Also let him know that if tools and materials start disappearing from the job site that he's going to be considered the prime suspect and won't hesitate to go to the authorities.

JohninGpt
12-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I would worry about the dude getting distracted or not paying attention and hurting himself, or even worse you or someone else.
I've been in construction for 25 years, and with the exception of the first five years, have been subject to random drug tests. I probably saw more accidents in those first five years than in the last 20.

On another note. Having an unreliable employee is a huge pain in the a$$.

patteeu
12-15-2007, 06:35 PM
LMAO

He said Tweaker. With a T.

;)

Oops. ;)

Boise_Chief
12-15-2007, 06:48 PM
While you have gotten some good advice here, you might just send me a plane ticket and I'll fly up. When I get there you give me 5 hundred dollars and I'll kick you in the nuts. It'll be less painful and cheaper in the long run.

DomerNKC
12-15-2007, 07:06 PM
While you have gotten some good advice here, you might just send me a plane ticket and I'll fly up. When I get there you give me 5 hundred dollars and I'll kick you in the nuts. It'll be less painful and cheaper in the long run.You might try to convince him that football fields should be blue. no thanks.

Phobia
12-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I had no idea what a tweaker looked like until one of my other guys told me. I just figured he was an ugly dude with bad teeth. I had only hired him for this one job and all he's doing is drywall finishing. I'm only obligated to him for another 2 days and if he's not a fantastic finisher, the foreman is instructed to can him tomorrow.

So, it's not a big issue. I just wanted to know what other things I should be aware of.

JohninGpt
12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I had only hired him for this one job and all he's doing is drywall finishing.
Got some chattermarks in your mud?

Phobia
12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
There's probably a few questions you haven't mentioned Phil.
Does this guy use on a regular basis?
Or is he serious about quitting or has quit?
How well do you know the guy.. is he a friend(acquaintance)?
Does he know that you know he uses?
How far are you willing to trust the guy.
The reason I ask is because if he's a guy trying to turn his life around and needs a job and a break and is in NA. I'd say do it.
If he's still using on a regular basis and is bouncing from job to job and isn't dependable I'd consider passing on him.
If he knows you know he uses and it's somewhat cool with you and the guy is a good worker you can take your chances and see how it goes.
But I'd tell the guy if his work, attendance ect. starts to be affected by his using I'd establish ground rules from the beginning.
Also let him know that if tools and materials start disappearing from the job site that he's going to be considered the prime suspect and won't hesitate to go to the authorities.

Good questions.

I interviewed him last week. Didn't know he was a tweaker until it was brought to my attention. I'll have a heart to heart with him before I would consider allowing him to work on another project. I'm all about giving people opportunities, especially if he has any skill.

Phobia
12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Other notes. I don't hire illegals any longer. New company policy. It costs me a little more but all my people are legal. I know I'm going to encounter users in the construction field but as long as they're productive and are reliable, I don't care what people do on their free time.

JohninGpt
12-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Other notes. I don't hire illegals any longer. New company policy. It costs me a little more but all my people are legal. I know I'm going to encounter users in the construction field but as long as they're productive and are reliable, I don't care what people do on their free time.
Good call. Smoking weed and drinking don't bother me a bit, as long as they show up to work sober and ready to work. Before I joined the Navy, I worked with guys who would pull pinch hitters all day long. They were constantly whacking their fingers and tripping over things, or having close calls with serious accidents. Luckly, no one was seriously injured.
The worst accident that I witnessed was after I joined the Navy. An SW3 (Steel Worker 3rd Class), who was a known lush, fell off of the roof of the new Fleet Hospital building in Guam. He broke his pelvis in two places, both his legs, both his collarbones, several ribs. He was hungover when the accident happened at 1700. He made me a firm believer in a sober work place.

TrebMaxx
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I guess I must be out of the loop, the first thing that came to mind was this. Professional Tweaker (http://www.amyth.com/Odd/Lopez.html) Never heard a meth/crack head being called a tweaker before. Learn something new every day.

Phobia
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
So it turns out this guy isn't a tweaker at all. He's just a skinny dude who had a jack fall out from under a truck he was working on and smashed his mouth up. I'm relieved because he's a pretty decent guy who works hard.

stevieray
12-20-2007, 10:14 PM
So it turns out this guy isn't a tweaker at all. He's just a skinny dude who had a jack fall out from under a truck he was working on and smashed his mouth up. I'm relieved because he's a pretty decent guy who works hard.

somewhere, in a parallel universe...

"hey man what's up? hows' the job?"

"not bad...my boss is kind of strange, he thought the injury to my mouth meant I was a methhead!"

"Seriously?! That's pretty funny..."

"Ya, I thought so too..."

"This the guy with the big truck? Still think the rumors are true?"

"Nah, I'm pretty relieved, he's pretty decent guy to work for...'

Phobia
12-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Nah - he told me he gets the question every time he gets a new boss so he was pretty understanding.