PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - No reasonable explanations for way Chiefs are playing

Hammock Parties
12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
God bless Jason Whitlock.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/406885.html

No reasonable explanations for way Chiefs are playing

If Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards woke up Sunday morning determined to prove that Eddie Drummond no longer belongs inside an NFL uniform, Kansas City’s 2007 Arrowhead Stadium finale was a smashing success.

If they awakened with the intention of providing frustrated Chiefs fans with a smidgen of hope for next season, well, let’s just say my dietitian had more success at Ollie Gates’ all-you-can-eat-and-take-home Christmas party.

With the Tennessee Titans in town, the Chiefs mired in an extended losing streak and patience wearing razor-thin on King Carl’s two-decade Super Bowl plan, Arrowhead Stadium has finally turned into a hostile, half-empty environment for the homeboys.

As the Chiefs lost their seventh straight, 26-17, Kansas City football fans watched while wearing paper bags, waving smart-aleck signs and shouting expletives.

“We don’t have a home-field advantage right now,” defensive end Jared Allen said, stating the obvious.

Nope, Sunday’s debacle dropped the Chiefs to 2-6 at the crib this year and 4-10 overall.

Hey, I’m all good with the losing and improvement in KC’s draft position. It’s the way the Chiefs are losing that has me up in arms. There’s no rhyme or reason to what is transpiring with the Chiefs.

Prosecution witness No. 1: Eddie Drummond.

Why? That has been the question about Drummond all season. Why was Drummond signed at the end of training camp when Justin Phinisee, a kid who fit KC’s supposed youth movement, had performed so admirably as the Chiefs’ return man? And now why would the Chiefs return Drummond to the active roster after he enjoyed a very productive month of standing along the sideline in street clothes?

Drummond can’t help the Chiefs in 2008, and he damn sure can’t help them in 2007.

Drummond fumbled a punt, botched a perfectly blocked return with needless juking and stutter-stepping, and slipped and fell inside KC’s 5 on another return.

When I asked Edwards why Drummond was dusted off and put in position to embarrass himself and the organization again, the coach had no plausible explanation.

Reasonable explanations have become a scarce commodity at One Arrowhead Drive. King Carl and Edwards keep referencing a Plan to fix this mess. A Plan is exactly what has been missing from day one.

What I’m about to write isn’t mentioned to toot my own horn; it’s referenced to demonstrate that none of us should be surprised by what we’re witnessing. I refer you to the column I wrote the day before Kansas City’s season opener. It was headlined “Chiefs on a trip to nowhereland.”

Here’s the key excerpt:

“If you watched HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks,’ you didn’t hear a lot of talk about the Super Bowl or even the playoffs. We were just treated to unprecedented access into the Chiefs organization, but we have no idea what the goal is for this year’s squad.

“Good coaches and sound organizations find unique, compelling and entertaining ways to repeat the same message over and over again. What was Herm’s message? The lack of one says a lot about where this organization is headed. Nowhere. The Chiefs are neither rebuilding nor reaching for the playoffs.”

This thing is stale and in need of a drastic overhaul. There is no singular vision driving this organization. King Carl has run out of fresh ideas. That’s no crime. He had a good run. The crime is holding on well past usefulness. The crime is not getting out of the way and giving others a chance. By holding on, he’s allowed chaos and desperation to run wild.

I’ve harped on the Drummond-Phinisee stupidity all season because it’s a sign of the organization’s insecurity. The personnel department and coaching staff watched a kid win the job, then gave it to a washed-up old-timer with a decent resume and connection to KC’s special-teams coach’s dad. What a bunch of clowns.

Greg Wesley, despite his frustrations about losing his starting spot, has actually shown up each Sunday and given a solid effort. He didn’t suit up against the Titans to make room for an additional cornerback. Meanwhile, three-year free-agent bust Kendrell Bell was back in action. Why?

Clark Hunt told me Sunday that he’ll speak with the media after the season. He needs to be wearing his Big Boy shoes. Chiefs fans are ready for a new direction, new leadership. If Clark sticks with the status quo or tries to elevate one of Peterson’s cronies to general manager, the Chiefs fans that show up at Arrowhead next season will be angrier than the crew that just left.

CoMoChief
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Well I predicted we'd be anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8, but this season has spiraled downward so fast I would have never thought we would be this bad.

Now we are terrible on both sides of the ball.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Clark, please clean house :grovel:

Rasputin
12-16-2007, 11:08 PM

Amen!

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I remember I said 5-11 and Goatse said there was no way and Carl would quit if it was that bad...

Rasputin
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Basically, Drummond took Sippio's spot on the roster today. That my friends is UNFORGIVABLE!!!!

kcxiv
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
yeah, i thought we would be about 7-9 or 8-8. I also thought that we would be a better team at the end of the season, boy was i wrong.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 11:14 PM
It's good to see some heat being put on the front office and coaching staff.

I'm glad to hear tha Clark is being quiet about this. I take that as good news. If he was pleased he would say so to the public, IMO. Afterall, there would be nothing to hide from if he was pleased.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2007, 11:15 PM
I said 5-11.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-16-2007, 11:15 PM
And I now own GOATSE's sig.

RibKing67
12-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Basically, Drummond took Sippio's spot on the roster today. That my friends is UNFORGIVABLE!!!!

They had a free roster spot because they released Terry this morning.

Smed1065
12-16-2007, 11:16 PM
OMG, I hate Whitless but truth is Huard.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
And I now own GOATSE's sig.

You own the avatar. Lay it on me.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
OMG, I hate Whitless but truth is Huard.

Nice!!!!!!! ROFL

Rasputin
12-16-2007, 11:19 PM

They had a free roster spot because they released Terry this morning.

That doesn't explain why Sippio wasn't on the 46 man roster and Drummond was.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
You own the avatar. Lay it on me.

Nice bet year man, first LJ now this...

Hammock Parties
12-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Nice bet year man, first LJ now this...

It's OK. It can't rain all the time. I won my Sippio bet.

Coach
12-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Jeez, Shitlock, there are two reasons why the chiefs are playing like this.

1. Carl Peterson
2. Herm Edwards

1+1 = 2

Duh, Shitlock.

BigChiefFan
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
The good news is we probably won't see Drummond back.

Mecca
12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
It's OK. It can't rain all the time. I won my Sippio bet.

It can't rain all the time.....

What is this the Crow?

RustShack
12-16-2007, 11:32 PM
We already know Drummond sucks, let Sippio have a chance to catch a ball!

dirk digler
12-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Nice article by Whitlock. It is funny they sit Wesley but suit up Bell who has been a total bust and waste of money.

chiefbowe82
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
All coaches will remain..Solari will go
We'll draft LT first round
Sign a RG
Sign a number 2 WR
Draft C second round
Offense
QB-Croyle
RB-Larry/Kolby
FB-Rookie
WR-Bowe
WR-FA
TE-Gonzo
LT-Long
LG-Waters
C-2nd round
RG-Waters
RT-McIntosh
Defense
DE-Tamba
DT-Turk
DT-Tank
DE-Allen
OLB-Johnson
MLB-Harris
OLB-Edwards
CB-Surtain
CB-Brack
FS-Page
SS-Pollard
P-Colquitt
K-Rookie
We continue to get much younger in a single year. We dump our trash on the line, and drummond. We make the playoffs and get a playoff victory in 08

RibKing67
12-17-2007, 12:08 AM

Only The KING Carl can answer that.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Only The KING Carl can answer that.

Sippio has done exactly jack and shit to prove he belongs on any roster.

Mecca
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Because as Adam Teicher explained on the radio....."any young players that are part of the future are playing right now" then the guy brought up Sippio and he kinda laughed and stuttered like Sippio blows and doesn't deserve playing time.

doomy3
12-17-2007, 12:14 AM

No wonder we lost!!!

We didn't have the AFL Star Sippio on the active roster!!

kcxiv
12-17-2007, 12:18 AM
**** it. Sippio is still getting paid the Vet Min paycheck. I am sure he is fine.

Mecca
12-17-2007, 12:19 AM
In all fairness I bet Sippio would get to play if he was the coaches sons best friend....

Eleazar
12-17-2007, 12:20 AM

He deserves to be active on gameday. Not because he earned it, but because Drummond is such an abomination.

doomy3
12-17-2007, 12:21 AM
In all fairness I bet Sippio would get to play if he was the coaches sons best friend....

Well, he is one of our best player's cousin, and that isn't doing much for him...

Bob Dole
12-17-2007, 12:32 AM
The repeated Sippio chant makes Bob Dole want to jab a pencil through his timpanic membrane. Give it a ****ing rest already, Scanlon.

smittysbar
12-17-2007, 12:34 AM
The repeated Sippio chant makes Bob Dole want to jab a pencil through his timpanic membrane. Give it a ****ing rest already, Scanlon.

Exactly!!!!!!

a1na2
12-17-2007, 12:41 AM

I would at least like to see Sippio have a chance. After all, what we need in KC right now is someone that has played in the AFL. Our version of the NFL doesn't seem to be able to score points. Maybe the experience in a league where points are scored by WR's that actually catch the ball in traffic just might help .. even if just a little.

Dave Lane
12-17-2007, 12:53 AM
All coaches will remain..Solari will go
We'll draft LT first round
Sign a RG
Sign a number 2 WR
Draft C second round
Offense
QB-Croyle
RB-Larry/Kolby
FB-Rookie
WR-Bowe
WR-FA
TE-Gonzo
LT-Long
LG-Waters
C-2nd round
RG-Waters
RT-McIntosh
Defense
DE-Tamba
DT-Turk
DT-Tank
DE-Allen
OLB-Johnson
MLB-Harris
OLB-Edwards
CB-Surtain
CB-Brack
FS-Page
SS-Pollard
P-Colquitt
K-Rookie
We continue to get much younger in a single year. We dump our trash on the line, and drummond. We make the playoffs and get a playoff victory in 08

Holy shit thats some good crack you are smoking...

Dave

Eleazar
12-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Waters is playing LG and RG! That will create some matchup problems.

Eleazar
12-17-2007, 12:55 AM
And I don't see how that would improve the defense at all.

ClevelandBronco
12-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Waters is playing LG and RG! That will create some matchup problems.

While simultaneously freeing up all-important cap room.

blueballs
12-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Carl must resign
if he has even the slightest respect for the Hunts

el borracho
12-17-2007, 01:34 AM
I predicted 6-10 this year- looks like we aren't even that good. Early prediction for next year: 7-9. I do like Croyle, though. That will help immensely if he turns out to be an NFL quality QB.

Dylan
12-17-2007, 01:57 AM
The fact of the matter is Jason Whitlock doesn't do any reporting in his columns. His articles are disappointing.

Why is Whitlock asking "Why did you do it?" instead of "Tell me the reasons you did it and be specific." You wouldn't want to mimic them.

Don't lead with questions. Pick up the phone and call people that are experts in the industry. Get their perspective. Call Carl Peterson. You will be amazed how accessible people will be.

Persistence pays off. Keep them talking and let them tell their story. Never tell the reader your story. And never ask the readers "Why."

Journalism isn't about taking the word of a person in a interview. Journalism is about getting to the truth. Verify it.

Hopefully, Whitlock will discover, that’s the job of the journalist.

Nite,

Fairplay
12-17-2007, 02:10 AM

The Mods should make a sticky of this prayer request.

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2007, 02:52 AM
The fact of the matter is Jason Whitlock doesn't do any reporting in his columns. His articles are disappointing.

Why is Whitlock asking "Why did you do it?" instead of "Tell me the reasons you did it and be specific." You wouldn't want to mimic them.

Don't lead with questions. Pick up the phone and call people that are experts in the industry. Get their perspective. Call Carl Peterson. You will be amazed how accessible people will be.

Persistence pays off. Keep them talking and let them tell their story. Never tell the reader your story. And never ask the readers "Why."

Journalism isn't about taking the word of a person in a interview. Journalism is about getting to the truth. Verify it.

Nite,

Your And Idiot.

Redux.

But for your information, Whitlock ISN'T a journalist; He's a commentator. He can say whatever he wants. He doesn't report. He doesn't pretend to report.

His job is to have an OPINION. Clean and simple.

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Your And Idiot.

Redux.

But for your information, Whitlock ISN'T a journalist; He's a columnist . He can say whatever he wants. He doesn't report. He doesn't pretend to report.

His job is to have an OPINION. Clean and simple.

fixed your post :D

DaneMcCloud
12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
fixed your post :D

Thanks!

It's late and I've had about nine Skye sodas in 4 hours.

AND and I watched the Chiefs today.

I know: I should "GET OVER IT!!!!"

ROFL ROFL

Tribal Warfare
12-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks!

ROFL ROFL

I'm on the same page, I have a major caffeine high also.

TEX
12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
There sure is an explanation - Herm ****ING Edwards and Cicken-$hit Carl. BAD COACHING and a POOR FRONT OFFICE are the main reasons for a season to spin out of control like this. They can lose, but it's how they're doing it that is a direct reflection on Herm.

BigRedChief
12-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks!

ROFL ROFL
If you would have got to the tailgate earlier you could have got shared some jaggerbombs with your Planet brethren. But instead you arrived late and we lost the game. Are you happy now?:p

CupidStunt
12-17-2007, 07:37 AM
DE-Tamba
DT-Turk
DT-Tank
DE-Allen
OLB-Johnson
MLB-Harris
OLB-Edwards

If we go into 2008 with that front seven again, we're going to get run the f**k over again, while putting little pressure on the QB.

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 07:45 AM
pssst, Jason.....our coaches and players suck ass

FringeNC
12-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Whitlock was right -- the confusion in the organization about goals ****ed up the whole season (along with horrid coaching and bad personnel decisions).

If we had a 4-10 record, but had started Croyle the entire year, AND had actually attempted to call a game-plan the let him grow, I doubt there'd be the venom aimed at the coaching staff and GM. In other words, had the whole season gone like yesterday....

Chiefnj2
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Last week wasn't Whit saying Herm deserved more time?

Reerun_KC
12-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Whitlock was right -- the confusion in the organization about goals ****ed up the whole season (along with horrid coaching and bad personnel decisions).

If we had a 4-10 record, but had started Croyle the entire year, AND had actually attempted to call a game-plan the let him grow, I doubt there'd be the venom aimed at the coaching staff and GM. In other words, had the whole season gone like yesterday....

Bingo!

But no, We had Horried shoved up our assess and people spewing that this is a playoff team. LMAO...

I wouldn't say a word about Herm if he would of had the pair to step up and challenge Carl on this season, but no, Herm is nothing more than a foot shuffling porter and a coward.

Now in all reality, next year is a true rebuilding year for the Chiefs. But no, Carl will patch this with FA's and over priced elders, to appease the true fan.

bobbything
12-17-2007, 09:26 AM
If they awakened with the intention of providing frustrated Chiefs fans with a smidgen of hope for next season, well, let’s just say my dietitian had more success at Ollie Gates’ all-you-can-eat-and-take-home Christmas party.
Sans their sauce and sausage, Gates is vastly overrated.

HemiEd
12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Now in all reality, next year is a true rebuilding year for the Chiefs. But no, Carl will patch this with FA's and over priced elders, to appease the true fan.

My worst fears were realized yesterday. They, the Coaches and Players, no longer have any clue how to win. All the talent in the world won't overcome that until someone new is in charge.

SPchief
12-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Nite,

Umm, Whitlock isn't a journalist, he's a columnist. He gets paid to write his opinion.

petegz28
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I called 2-14 then went to 5-11 after we signed our 2nd kicker to get cut.

FAX
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Simmah!!!

And ease up on Bobby. All the man needs is a chance. A uni. A route. A pair of shoes and a ball thrown within 20 yards of his current position.

When that happens, we'll get this thing turned around.

FAX

StcChief
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
So nothing has changed since PeeWee FB and Pop Warner

Dylan
12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone by commenting on Jason Whitlock's article. I admit if I read the story at the Kansas City Star, I would have worded my post a little differently.

National newspapers follow a style; it is a set of rules and guides intended to assure consistency especially needed when many very different people write and edit a publication. I admit, a rule I know nothing about at The Kansas City Star.

I am someone who knows a thing or two about journalism. Editors, copy editors, columnists, correspondents, reporters, sports writers, etc are the best reporters first. They all have the same goal, to make the story the best before it reaches you.

A columnist is a reporter. Again, I'm sorry if I offended a few.

smittysbar
12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone by commenting on Jason Whitlock's article. I admit if I read the story at the Kansas City Star, I would have worded my post a little differently.

National newspapers follow a style; it is a set of rules and guides intended to assure consistency especially needed when many very different people write and edit a publication. I admit, a rule I know nothing about at The Kansas City Star.

I am someone who knows a thing or two about journalism. Editors, copy editors, columnists, correspondents, reporters, sports writers, etc are the best reporters first. They all have the same goal, to make the story the best before it reaches you.

No need to apologize. Everyone has there own opinion, wouldn't be much of a BB if everyone agreed.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM

No offense taken. Everyone rides the high horse now and again.

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Cowher

Dylan
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your support. It means alot to me...

This is a great forum -- the last thing I would ever want to do is offend.

D.

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your support. It means alot to me...

This is a great forum -- the last thing I would ever want to do is offend.

D.

actually, you do want to offend, that's the beauty of this place...you'll figure it out...

Dylan
12-17-2007, 04:20 PM
ROFL

The beauty is the members. I can't begin to tell you how hard ya'll make me laugh.

Micjones
12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
It's definitely time for house cleaning.
Let's hope Clark is ready to forge his own legacy and step out of his father's shadow.

Halfcan
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Silverspoon's Big Boy Shoes-LOL Whitlocks best yet.

Herm is a dumbass and Carl is worse for hiring him.

I can't wait til they bump season tickets up again.

Dayze
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
the reasonable explanation is; the keg (1990's chiefs) is floated; riding the wave of 'just wait 'til next year' has finally hit the beach. Chiefs are done; they suck; they need to rebuild.

FAX
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, well. Herm actually apologized to the fans for the "get over it." comment on Mitch's show tonight.

He actually sounded kinda sincere.

FAX

Hammock Parties
12-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, well. Herm actually apologized to the fans for the "get over it." comment on Mitch's show tonight.

FAX

The whole thing was a misunderstanding. That comment was not directed at fans.

Coach
12-17-2007, 07:55 PM

FAX

I'm not buying it anyways.

ClevelandBronco
12-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Isn't anyone going to blame it on the refs? I see that crap in every freaking game thread.

Coach
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Isn't anyone going to blame it on the refs? I see that crap in every freaking game thread.

I don't think the officials determined the outcome of this game. Granted, there were some calls that I felt that should had been called (Holding, anyone?) but there's nothing that really determined the game, IMHO.

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2007, 08:06 PM

I thought it was another shot at Carl. Either way, pretty funny.

:shrug:

Calcountry
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM
pssst, Jason.....our coaches and players suck assROFL

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
The whole thing was a misunderstanding. That comment was not directed at fans.I took it as... "Look, if we're gonna rebuild this thing, we're gonna get worse before we get better." Of course, a coach can't just come out and say that.

I dunno.

FAX
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Ummm. If the comment was not directed at the fans as you say, why did he apologize to the fans for something he did not say to them?

FAX

Hammock Parties
12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Ummm. If the comment was not directed at the fans as you say, why did he apologize to the fans for something he did not say to them?

FAX

Because people took it as a shot at the fans. It's good PR for Herm to make nice.

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

FAXAnd he specifically said that "Kansas City" isn't used to this, didn't he?

FAX
12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Because people took it as a shot at the fans. It's good PR for Herm to make nice.

So, if he didn't direct the comment to the fans but people took it that way and he wants to make nice, why did he apologize to the fans? He could have said, "I wasn't directing my comment to the fans. If I had, I would apologize, but I wasn't. I was talking to that goofy looking guy over there."

FAX

KcMizzou
12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm not mad at Herm, but I do want Carl gone.

I assume if Carl goes, though... Herm has to as well, doesn't he?

You can't really hire a new GM and not let him bring in his own coach. I mean, we stuck Herm with our old assistants, but...

FAX
12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
And he specifically said that "Kansas City" isn't used to this, didn't he?

I think he did, now that you mention it, Mr. KcMizzou. "You're not used to this around here ..." or words to that effect.

FAX