PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Aficianados

Dayze
12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm considering buying a humidor for a relative this x-mas;
Nothing crazy expensive; but the trouble is, I have no idea where one goes to procure such items.

Is there a place you guys recommend I go for a decent, 'beginner' type humidor?

Gonzo
12-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Ebay, I found a nice one there for cheap. You can get some quality humidor there rather inexpensively.

Fishpicker
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
is there a mall near you? most malls I've been to have tobacco shops

Gonzo
12-17-2007, 08:28 PM
This should be right up your alley:

http://cgi.ebay.com/150-ct-RED-WOOD-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-GREAT-DISPLAY-SHOW-CASE_W0QQitemZ270197272410QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11675QQcmdZViewItem

kstater
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Your local head shop might have one. Their customer base might store cigars

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
you can decent humidors at Costco/Sam's Club...you might also just flip through the yellow pages for a tobacco shop...

Dayze
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks gents.
I knew you all still had your burst.

the Talking Can
12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
you may not have time...but J & R Cigars is the largest online cigar dealer...and they have pretty low prices on everything...

http://www.jrcigars.com/

Shag
12-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Most Ebay humidors are crap. If you actually want to take care of your cigars, go somewhere reputable.

I bought mine from cubancrafters.com, and it's a very nice humi. They will occasionally have "scratch and dent" humis on sale - I bought one of those, and if it's scratched or dented, I have no idea where. It looked brand new when I received it.

I'd also recommend picking up some humidity beads from heartfeltindustries.com - they are great at holding the humidity level constant.

Gonzo
12-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Most Ebay humidors are crap. If you actually want to take care of your cigars, go somewhere reputable.

I bought mine from cubancrafters.com, and it's a very nice humi. They will occasionally have "scratch and dent" humis on sale - I bought one of those, and if it's scratched or dented, I have no idea where. It looked brand new when I received it.

I'd also recommend picking up some humidity beads from heartfeltindustries.com - they are great at holding the humidity level constant.

Meh...To each his own I guess. If you know what you are doing, you can get a nice humidor a lot cheaper than at a dealer or cigar shop from E-bay or Craig's List. Do a little research and you will do well.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
screw the cheap humidors. cheap humidors turn good cigars into cardboard.

if you're going cheap, your better off sticking with the swisher sweets.

Gonzo
12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Rejuvenating a humidor is quite simple and only takes 3 days. A little distilled water and a clean cloth is all it takes.

Shag
12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Meh...To each his own I guess. If you know what you are doing, you can get a nice humidor a lot cheaper than at a dealer or cigar shop from E-bay or Craig's List. Do a little research and you will do well.

It's certainly possible, but a vast majority of the time, you won't be able to discern the quality of something from an ebay listing. A good humidor needs to be made from thick Spanish cedar, and have a very good seal. Most humis from Ebay are very thin, use only partial Spanish cedar, and don't seal well. You're going to spend a lot of money on cigars over the years - do it right, and buy a quality humidor up front that will last you a very long time.

The "too good to be true" mantra applies to most Ebay humidors. There's no way a well-built, nice looking humidor would sell for $25...

Shag
12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Rejuvenating a humidor is quite simple and only takes 3 days. A little distilled water and a clean cloth is all it takes.

But if it's not made of good Spanish cedar, you're wasting your time - the humidity won't hold.