sec

Skip Towne
12-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Good riddance.
You don't like Dukie V?

FloridaMan88
12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
You don't like Dukie V?

He adds nothing to a game broadcast except for noise and tired cliches.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't really get the Dick Vitale hate. I understand Digger hate, Billy Packer hate, and obviously Doug Gottleib hate, but Dick Vitale is a genuinely great person and isn't a bad announcer. He is unique in his style and offers a good perspective of the game, and especially it's people. He reminds me alot of Mitch Holthus in how he knows so many people from all the small towns in Kansas, and can name any high school mascot in this state - and many others across the midwest.

Lzen
12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't really get the Dick Vitale hate. I understand Digger hate, Billy Packer hate, and obviously Doug Gottleib hate, but Dick Vitale is a genuinely great person and isn't a bad announcer. He is unique in his style and offers a good perspective of the game, and especially it's people. He reminds me alot of Mitch Holthus in how he knows so many people from all the small towns in Kansas, and can name any high school mascot in this state - and many others across the midwest.

Good post. I don't really hate Digger, either. Now Packer and Gottleib are annoying. They are nearly unbearable at times.

Eleazar
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM

Ditto... if you don't like his style, whatever... but the guy forgets more about basketball daily than anyone else here could ever hope to know.

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
OH BABY!

The few times I've seen Dickie V in person he's been really cool and gracious.

bobbything
12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I always kind of liked Vitale. I met him at the Guardian's Classic last year and he was awesome.

Third Eye
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
OH BABY!

The few times I've seen Dickie V in person he's been really cool and gracious.
Yeah, I had an opportunity to hang out with him for a weekend and found him to be extremely genuine and one hell of a nice guy.

RP_McMurphy
12-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Coach K I didn't know you were a member of the Chiefs Planet.

Yeah, I had an opportunity to hang out with him for a weekend and found him to be extremely genuine and one hell of a nice guy.

Third Eye
12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Coach K I didn't know you were a member of the Chiefs Planet.
Damn, so much for online anonymity.

DJJasonp
12-18-2007, 10:37 AM
You know...he bugs sometimes...especially when he gushes over Coach K.

But the bottom line is...he is a good person, a great ambassador for college sports (preaches staying in school, etc.)....and has a genuine love for the game and people.

If he was a pretentious prick like Packer....that would be another story...but he seems to be genuine.

RP_McMurphy
12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Good guy off the screen and his work with the V foundation has been great. On the screen he is years past his time.

FloridaMan88
12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh and another thing about Vitale... the guy is a complete fraud.

I met him in person at an autograph session at Hooters in Atlanta for the Final Four back in 2002 (the year KU was there and lost to Maryland). At a PAID autograph appearance he spent the entire time on his cell phone lecturing his pool guy back home, barely paying any attention to the people (many were kids) who were standing in line and paid $$$ for the basketball you had to purchase for him to sign.

This was all part of the V foundation... since all the money for for this event went to that charity. One of the kids standing in line was a cancer survivor and when his dad tried striking up a conversation with Vitale, telling him what his kid had gone through... Vitale refused to pull himself away from his "critical" conversation with his pool guy.

DaKCMan AP
12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
If he was a pretentious prick like Packer....that would be another story...but he seems to be genuine.

Heh... once after a Florida game called by Verne Lundquist he was seen trying to get into Gator City (a bar/restaurant/club across from the stadium) and didn't want to pay the $5 cover. He says to the bouncer, "Do you know who I am? I'm the voice of the SEC!" Bouncer responds, "I don't care who you are, it's a $5 cover."

|Zach|
12-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Hope everything pans out alright for him.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh and another thing about Vitale... the guy is a complete fraud.

I met him in person at an autograph session at Hooters in Atlanta for the Final Four back in 2002 (the year KU was there and lost to Maryland). At a PAID autograph appearance he spent the entire time on his cell phone lecturing his pool guy back home, barely paying any attention to the people (many were kids) who were standing in line and paid $$$ for the basketball you had to purchase for him to sign.

This was all part of the V foundation... since all the money for for this event went to that charity. One of the kids standing in line was a cancer survivor and when his dad tried striking up a conversation with Vitale, telling him what his kid had gone through... Vitale refused to pull himself away from his "critical" conversation with his pool guy.
Yeah - he sounds like a real scumbag. :rolleyes:

|Zach|
12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
People that go get autographs are the whiniest bitches in the sports world.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
People that go get autographs are the whiniest bitches in the sports world.
KCChiefsfan88 is one of the whiniest bitches in the world, so that makes sense.

FloridaMan88
12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah - he sounds like a real scumbag. :rolleyes:

What would you call someone who claims to be a champion of helping kids with cancer yet completely ignores a child cancer survivor during an autograph session?

F-R-A-U-D

Vitale only champions things when the cameras are on

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 01:27 PM
What would you call someone who claims to be a champion of helping kids with cancer yet completely ignores a child cancer survivor during an autograph session?

F-R-A-U-D

Yeah, the thousands of dollars and man hours he has put in to the V foundation means nothing.

Third Eye
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM

F-R-A-U-D

Strange how that is the polar opposite of his behavior when I was around him, all in situations that were off-camera. I personally saw him engage countless random fans on the street, heard him mother**** Donovon McNabb when he refused to be bothered, and watched him cry at a private function for 6 people when someone finally got the balls to ask him about Jimmy V. His granddaughter doted on him and they were practically inseparable. Never have I met a "celebrity" in real life that came of as genuine as he did.

|Zach|
12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Strange how that is the polar opposite of his behavior when I was around him, all in situations that were off-camera. I personally saw him engage countless random fans on the street, heard him mother**** Donovon McNabb when he refused to be bothered, and watched him cry at a private function for 6 people when someone finally got the balls to ask him about Jimmy V. His granddaughter doted on him and they were practically inseparable. Never have I met a "celebrity" in real life that came of as genuine as he did.
I have had the same great experience

Demonpenz
12-18-2007, 02:04 PM
V's motovational videos changed my life

KCFalcon59
12-18-2007, 02:07 PM

F-R-A-U-D

Did she have that written on her shirt?

jspchief
12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I can respect the type of person he is, but I can't stand to listen to him. His style is just too over the top. And every year he seems to become more of a caricature of himself.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I can respect the type of person he is, but I can't stand to listen to him. His style is just too over the top. And every year he seems to become more of a caricature of himself.
^^
OMFG, a jspchief sighting!