PDA

View Full Version : According to ESPN Rich McKay out in Atlanta

Al Bundy
12-18-2007, 10:10 PM
I will link it.

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Hrm he's had his good and bad moments as a GM.

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
At least there's one team that's just as shitty as us

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Well our franchise player didn't go to prison...

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
while Carl sleeps comfortably....

ChiTown
12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
while Carl sleeps comfortably....

I'm pretty sure he's banging Norma Hunt.....how else could you explain all this?

Lzen
12-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Ha ha ha ha.

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Atlanta is going after Parcells for VP of Football Operations...says ESPN, decision by Wednesday

BUT THAT'S OK, WE HAVE CARL....GET OVER IT...WE'RE IN NO HURRY TO DO ANYTHING....WHY WOULD WE BE, WE'RE SO AWESOME

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:24 PM
You know how teams paint slogans on things.....The Chiefs slogan that should be all over Arrowhead and all Chiefs things should be..

"Status quo"

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:26 PM
i really hate this piece of shit joke of a franchise

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
i really hate this piece of shit joke of a franchise

Stevie is gonna totally yell at you man.

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
McKay was given 4 YEARS and then demoted

Carl is given 20

one franchise is serious, one is ****ing asleep....

Joe Seahawk
12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Bob Whitsett is available.. :)

88TG88
12-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Ha ha ha ha.
I lol'ed @ that to.

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:37 PM
The real funny part was that implied that Vick is a franchise player.

12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
You know how teams paint slogans on things.....The Chiefs slogan that should be all over Arrowhead and all Chiefs things should be..

"Status quo"
Why is everyone still using photobucket when they are out of bandwidth?

dtebbe
12-18-2007, 10:39 PM

One could argue that the Falcons are better, definately have a better recent playoff record. McKay is a good GM, he's taking the fall.

DT

88TG88
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
It had nothing to do with your comment.

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Why is everyone still using photobucket when they are out of bandwidth?

I don't feel like taking my shit off and reuploading it on another site...it'll be back in about a week...yes I'm lazy.

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
And my sig has been like that for several days...it takes you that long to notice it? LOL

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
McKay won a Superbowl in Tampa and took Atlanta to a NFC Championship game....AND GOT DEMOTED in 4 years

WHAT THE **** HAS CARL DONE IN 14 YEARS? HELLO CLARK I'M TALKING TO YOU AND YOUR LAZY ASS FAMILY

DaWolf
12-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Was he in charge when they traded the picks that turned into LT and Brees for Vick?

Mecca
12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Was he in charge when they traded the picks that turned into LT and Brees for Vick?

I think he was with Tampa at that time...

Al Bundy
12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I think he was with Tampa at that time...
He was in Tampa, but his drafts had very little to do with Tampa winning that superbowl, Brooks, Sapp, and Lynch were all Sam Wyche picks.

dirk digler
12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
McKay won a Superbowl in Tampa and took Atlanta to a NFC Championship game....AND GOT DEMOTED in 4 years

WHAT THE **** HAS CARL DONE IN 14 YEARS? HELLO CLARK I'M TALKING TO YOU AND YOUR LAZY ASS FAMILY

A-****ING-MEN

the Talking Can
12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
He was in Tampa, but his drafts had very little to do with Tampa winning that superbowl, Brooks, Sapp, and Lynch were all Sam Wyche picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_McKay

As general manager for the Buccaneers from 1993 to 2003, McKay directed six teams that reached the NFC playoffs and one team that won a Super Bowl title. In 1996, McKay hired Tony Dungy as head coach, and in 1999 the Bucs played in the NFC championship game.

During his tenure as general manager, McKay drafted the following players: John Lynch (1993), Trent Dilfer (1994), Warren Sapp (1995), Derrick Brooks (1995), Mike Alstott (1996), Ronde Barber (1997), and Warrick Dunn (1997). McKay constructed the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster that featured 12 Pro Bowl players. Also, the Buccaneers' 41 Pro Bowl selections between 1997 through 2002 were the most in the NFL.

In December 2003, McKay left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was introduced as president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. In his first season of directing operations, the Falcons went to the NFC Championship game.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I'd take McKay in a freaking heartbeat. Vick is/was the problem in ATL, not McKay.

C-Mac
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM

As general manager for the Buccaneers from 1993 to 2003, McKay directed six teams that reached the NFC playoffs and one team that won a Super Bowl title. In 1996, McKay hired Tony Dungy as head coach, and in 1999 the Bucs played in the NFC championship game.

During his tenure as general manager, McKay drafted the following players: John Lynch (1993), Trent Dilfer (1994), Warren Sapp (1995), Derrick Brooks (1995), Mike Alstott (1996), Ronde Barber (1997), and Warrick Dunn (1997). McKay constructed the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster that featured 12 Pro Bowl players. Also, the Buccaneers' 41 Pro Bowl selections between 1997 through 2002 were the most in the NFL.

In December 2003, McKay left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was introduced as president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. In his first season of directing operations, the Falcons went to the NFC Championship game.

Well theres a GM ...now all we need is a OC.

BigChiefFan
12-18-2007, 11:23 PM
This really should be the wakeup call to the fans. Carl sux ass and ownership needs to quit taking the fans for granted. I'm sick of the loser mentality of the franchise.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Who made the decision to get rid of Shaub and keep Vick? Because that was really bad. Was that McKay?

ChiefsCountry
12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Who made the decision to get rid of Shaub and keep Vick? Because that was really bad. Was that McKay?

I say that it was a forced move by ownership.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd bet Blank was in on that. Could you imagine the outrage in "the A-T-L" if they sent QB Jesus packing and kept the white dude?

BigChiefFan
12-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Who made the decision to get rid of Shaub and keep Vick? Because that was really bad. Was that McKay?I'm sure ownership looked at Vick as being their franchise QB and knew they didn't want to pay Schaub starters money on his next contract. That was slated for 08. I can't say I blame them for trying to get something in return.

kcxiv
12-18-2007, 11:35 PM
i think he sucks, but you give someone a 100mil contract he is a franchise player

listopencil
12-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know who it was that made the decision but...c'mon, Vick sucked ass. Nobody saw that?

listopencil
12-18-2007, 11:37 PM
But...but...but...he can throw a football 500 yards! Into the parking lot! Didn't you see that Nike commercial?

dtebbe
12-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I'd bet Blank was in on that. Could you imagine the outrage in "the A-T-L" if they sent QB Jesus packing and kept the white dude?

Exactly. Hell the people are still wearing his shit at the games, and actually think (and hope) he will be back in 2010.

DT

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't know who it was that made the decision but...c'mon, Vick sucked ass. Nobody saw that?
It hasn't been about how good or bad he was for the last three years. The ATL fan base would all line up to blow Vick one at a time for some unknown f**king reason. My guess is it's the old "he acts like at least as big a POS as I am and HE got rich, so it's possible for me too!!!" thing.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 11:42 PM
It hasn't been about how good or bad he was for the last three years. The ATL fan base would all line up to blow Vick one at a time for some unknown f**king reason. My guess is it's the old "he acts like at least as big a POS as I am and HE got rich, so it's possible for me too!!!" thing.

Man what a joke. He would have made a very good WR though. Million dollar body, ten cent head. And the fans loved him? Must suck to be a die hard Falcon fan.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Man what a joke. He would have made a very good WR though. Million dollar body, ten cent head. And the fans loved him? Must suck to be a die hard Falcon fan.
Love. Not past tense.

There was a whole slew of idiots demanding the Falcons give them their money back for their tickets after the team suspended Vick. Blank thought he was doing himself a favor selling the Atlanta Vicks to the, uhm, errr, "population" in Atlanta only to have that bite him in the ass royally.

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2007, 11:46 PM

Vick is the ultimate slash back, because he can make plays at every offensive "skill" position. He would reign terror for the opposition

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
If the Chiefs were to move Peterson out of the daily football operations (which would be the likely move, if changes were to be made) and McKay hired as GM, he'd more than likely keep Herm because they were close in Tampa Bay.

I'm sure we'd have an excellent draft and new coaches.

Though Tampa Bay's offenses were certainly nothing to be excited about and maybe even worse than what we're seeing this year.

ChiefsCountry
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
And the fans loved him?

Color of his skin and the majority of the fan base. Hate to say but that is why.

Al Bundy
12-18-2007, 11:52 PM

Wikpedia is dead wrong on that. Sapp Brooks and Lynch were al Sam Wyche players.

Simplex3
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Color of his skin and the majority of the fan base. Hate to say but that is why.
Well, that exacerbated the problem, but Blank spent a great deal of time and money pimping Vick as the face of the franchise. Trotting him around like a pony at the fair in front of everyone, getting him classes on how to not suck in front of the media, etc.

listopencil
12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Love. Not past tense.

There was a whole slew of idiots demanding the Falcons give them their money back for their tickets after the team suspended Vick. Blank thought he was doing himself a favor selling the Atlanta Vicks to the, uhm, errr, "population" in Atlanta only to have that bite him in the ass royally.

Crazy. I really haven't followed that aspect of the story much. I used to have a hard time convincing my kids how much real life Vick sucked because they experienced video game Vick. I would rant, my daughter would pick ATL on ESPN NFL2K5 anyway, and I would thrash her with the Broncos ...something like eleventy billion to nothing (Video game Vick didn't like the ol' Bear D too much)...because she pissed me off by buying into the hype. Anyway, with his recent douchebaggery he's been disappeared.

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Yea, he really sucked ass in 2006. 22 touchdowns and 1039 yards rushing (8.3 per carry). And he was not exactly surrounded by talent, short of Alge Crumpler he had nobody to throw to.

I mean the guy is a bonehead, but he didn't exactly suck ass. Consider St. Tom Brady only had 24 TDs, and only one less INT than Vick in 2006. Vick ran because he HAD to. His o'line was aweful, and he recievers couldn't catch herpes in Mexico.

DT

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Well, that exacerbated the problem, but Blank spent a great deal of time and money pimping Vick as the face of the franchise. Trotting him around like a pony at the fair in front of everyone, getting him classes on how to not suck in front of the media, etc.

That's because Blank knew EXACTLY who he was selling to, and they WERE selling out, something they had not done in years.

DT

banyon
12-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Well our franchise player didn't go to prison...

yet.

Simplex3
12-19-2007, 12:07 AM
That's because Blank knew EXACTLY who he was selling to, and they WERE selling out, something they had not done in years.

DT
I still think if he was smarter he would have been pimping three to five players instead of one. Go ahead and pick all black players (your marketing guys would tell you that's a smart move), but you should NEVER bankroll the whole thing on one freaking guy. Especially not one with a posse. It's not like he didn't have Warrick Dunn and some other non-hoodlums on the team to choose from.

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Wikpedia is dead wrong on that. Sapp Brooks and Lynch were al Sam Wyche players.

Dude, Rich McKay was with the Bucs from almost day one. His father was John McKay, their first coach. He was in the player personnel department before becoming the GM.

Regardless of who was coach, McKay oversaw those drafts.

He was their GM from 1993-2003.

L.A. Chieffan
12-19-2007, 12:08 AM
None of the Vick shit is his fault.
He could have given Vick some better quality players around him, but I'd take him in a heart beat. SIGN EM CLARK

ChiefsCountry
12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I would be all for hiring McKay for the Chiefs. Him and Denny Thum together would be a great fit for the Chiefs - football side/business side.

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2007, 12:12 AM
If McKay is REALLY out in Atlanta, Clark better be on the phone immediately.

Some of McKay's protege's:

Jerry Angelo: Chicago Bears. Super Bowl Appearance in 3 years.

Tim Ruskell: Seattle Seahawks. Super Bowl appearance in his first year and playoffs in the following year.

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 12:20 AM
If McKay is REALLY out in Atlanta, Clark better be on the phone immediately.

Some of McKay's protege's:

Jerry Angelo: Chicago Bears. Super Bowl Appearance in 3 years.

Tim Ruskell: Seattle Seahawks. Super Bowl appearance in his first year and playoffs in the following year.

On the local news, they are basically saying he has had the VP title taken away, and it will be up to the new VP if he stays on as GM. I don't see him staying in a diminished role, he's too accomplished for that.

Assuming Herm would stay on, I assume McKay and Herm probably know each other from the tampa days.

DT

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2007, 12:21 AM
On the local news, they are basically saying he has had the VP title taken away, and it will be up to the new VP if he stays on as GM. I don't see him staying in a diminished role, he's too accomplished for that.

DT

Thanks for the info! :thumb:

Al Bundy
12-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Dude, Rich McKay was with the Bucs from almost day one. His father was John McKay, their first coach. He was in the player personnel department before becoming the GM.

Regardless of who was coach, McKay oversaw those drafts.

He was their GM from 1993-2003.

Dane I have been a Bucs fan since 1979.. McKay became responsible for the drafts starting in 1996 with Marcus Jones, Reagan Upshaw, Donnie Abraham and Mike Alstott picks. After that he picked Warrick Dunn and left the Bucs in cap hell.Tim Ruskell actually had more to do with the Brooks and Lynch picks. Wyche was the one who was after Sapp.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Dane I have been a Bucs fan since 1979.. McKay became responsible for the drafts starting in 1996 with Marcus Jones, Reagan Upshaw, Donnie Abraham and Mike Alstott picks. After that he picked Warrick Dunn and left the Bucs in cap hell.Tim Ruskell actually had more to do with the Brooks and Lynch picks. Wyche was the one who was after Sapp.

So McKay = overrated?

Who hired Gruden, BTW?

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 01:04 AM
I forgot to mention that the local news is also reporting that Parcells has been offered the VP of football operations position.

DT

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2007, 02:04 AM

How could McKay be the GM of the Bucs starting in 1993, yet not have control of his drafts?

This makes no sense.

And FWIW, my parents moved to St. Pete's in 1993 and stayed until 1998. I'm pretty familiar with the Bucs as well.

ChiefaRoo
12-19-2007, 03:09 AM
How could McKay be the GM of the Bucs starting in 1993, yet not have control of his drafts?

This makes no sense.

And FWIW, my parents moved to St. Pete's in 1993 and stayed until 1998. I'm pretty familiar with the Bucs as well.

'sup McTranny. Still there?

RedThat
12-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Good to see that there are certain posters on here who realize Carl is not the sole problem within this organization.

Tribal Warfare
12-19-2007, 03:57 AM
Good to see that there are certain posters on here who realize Carl is not the sole problem within this organization.

The individuals who deserve the blame is the Hunt family and King Carl

chagrin
12-19-2007, 06:05 AM

Everybody was after Shaub, he would have gone eventually anyway; besides, it doesn't look like he can stay healthy as a full time starter, but who knows, I just don't think it was a "bad" move.

chagrin
12-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Yea, he really sucked ass in 2006. 22 touchdowns and 1039 yards rushing (8.3 per carry). And he was not exactly surrounded by talent, short of Alge Crumpler he had nobody to throw to.

I mean the guy is a bonehead, but he didn't exactly suck ass. Consider St. Tom Brady only had 24 TDs, and only one less INT than Vick in 2006. Vick ran because he HAD to. His o'line was aweful, and he recievers couldn't catch herpes in Mexico.

DT

The only part I will disagree with with is the talent question; in 2006 I believe he had two top 20 WR draft picks, White and Jenkins. He chose not to throw much of the time. I know he can run and should have in the right times; I only saying he had talent there, he made the choices; they weren't "not open" 75% of the time.

chagrin
12-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Anyway, on topic - Parcells will be a good GM and I do hope we sign someone else.

Brock
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Parcells says "probably". (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html)

Hootie
12-19-2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't want to coach with Parcells looking over my shoulder...

Al Bundy
12-19-2007, 09:49 AM
So McKay = overrated?

Who hired Gruden, BTW?

McKay= Overrated and Gruden was a Glazers hire, McKay wanted Marvin Lewis desperately.

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about McKay..the point is that he has won a Superbowl and been to an NFC Championship game in the last decade, and yet the Atlanta organization canned him after 4 years...

Carl has a record of abject failure for 14 straight years, and he has the most job security in the league...

Simplex3
12-19-2007, 10:01 AM
it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about McKay..the point is that he has won a Superbowl and been to an NFC Championship game in the last decade, and yet the Atlanta organization canned him after 4 years...

Carl has a record of abject failure for 14 straight years, and he has the most job security in the league...
Bingo.

Bowser
12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
McKay= Overrated and Gruden was a Glazers hire, McKay wanted Marvin Lewis desperately.

Dude, have you not seen our GM the last 20 years? I'd take that resume over Carl's anytime.

Brock
12-19-2007, 10:06 AM

So what, Peterson hired Gunther Cunningham and Herm Edwards.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
McKay was given 4 YEARS and then demoted

Carl is given 20

one franchise is serious, one is ****ing asleep....

The Falcons made it to the Superbowl after the '98 season. I'd still take the last two decades with Carl Peterson over the last two decades of Falcons football.

Are there really people out there who'd prefer the Falcons over that time period? We'd have probably lost the franchise to another city by now.

Hootie
12-19-2007, 10:09 AM
was McKay even with the Falcons in '98? I thought he was with Tampa Bay back then?

HemiEd
12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Well theres a GM ...now all we need is a HC.

FYP

Brock
12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
The Falcons made it to the Superbowl after the '98 season. I'd still take the last two decades with Carl Peterson over the last two decades of Falcons football.

Are there really people out there who'd prefer the Falcons over that time period? We'd have probably lost the franchise to another city by now.

You're comparing the wrong teams. McKay was with Tampa 1993-2003.

Sure-Oz
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I think Mckay sounds better than Bradway, since jack keeps blabbering about him

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 10:15 AM

McCay took the Bucs to a Superbowl, and then took the Falcons to an NFC Championship, and then got canned after 4 years by Blank....

Carl, since Marty left, has accomplished nothing...and his job as secure as any in the NFL...

could you maybe try to stay on topic? this isn't the DC forum...

Hootie
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Meh, I think McKay's job was ultra-safe until he traded a franchise QB (Schaub) and hired a sketchy coach (Petrino) and made the Falcons the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL...

Sure, Vick should take the blame here...but the GM gave him that huge contract and then proceeded to make all of these personnel decisions (letting go of Kerney) etc. etc. etc.

Besides, Blank still wants McKay to be the team President...

Bowser
12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Meh, I think McKay's job was ultra-safe until he traded a franchise QB (Schaub) and hired a sketchy coach (Petrino) and made the Falcons the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL...

Sure, Vick should take the blame here...but the GM gave him that huge contract and then proceeded to make all of these personnel decisions (letting go of Kerney) etc. etc. etc.

Besides, Blank still wants McKay to be the team President...

How much of that was McKay, and how much was Blank?

Sure-Oz
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
How much of that was McKay, and how much was Blank?
Blank had a hard on for Vick

thehead
12-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Hire Parcells GM let him have the grocery list go shopping New Coaches at every position :)

Get it done Clark

patteeu
12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
You're comparing the wrong teams. McKay was with Tampa 1993-2003.

McCay took the Bucs to a Superbowl, and then took the Falcons to an NFC Championship, and then got canned after 4 years by Blank....

Carl, since Marty left, has accomplished nothing...and his job as secure as any in the NFL...

could you maybe try to stay on topic? this isn't the DC forum...

The post I was responding to (post #12), specifically compared the seriousness of the two franchises. If the dope who posted post #12 wanted to focus on McCay instead of the franchises, the dope should have said so.

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
The post I was responding to (post #12), specifically compared the seriousness of the two franchises. If the dope who posted post #12 wanted to focus on McCay instead of the franchises, the dope should have said so.

short of me drawing pictures on a big marker board, I don't know how else to clue you in to what we're talking about....asking you to read the thread is obviously pointless....

so, until Chiefsplanet introduces a picture-based bulletin board, we'll all just have to pat you on the head and pretend it is cute to watch the kid trying to tie his shoes...

Brock
12-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Well, I guess if you want to make that comparison, I'd compare the respective futures of the two. One is making a bold move to hire Bill Parcells, and the other one is crafting Rufus Dawes articles to explain why Peterson needs to stay and "finish what he started".

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, I guess if you want to make that comparison, I'd compare the respective futures of the two. One is making a bold move to hire Bill Parcells, and the other one is crafting Rufus Dawes articles to explain why Peterson needs to stay and "finish what he started".

That's wonderful, Nostradamus. Remind me about this thread when Bill Parcells takes the Falcons to a Super Bowl Championship. Until then, I'm comfortable with my analysis and grateful to Carl Peterson for providing Kansas City with a superior product compared to what Atlanta fans have been offered over the past two decades.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
short of me drawing pictures on a big marker board, I don't know how else to clue you in to what we're talking about....asking you to read the thread is obviously pointless....

so, until Chiefsplanet introduces a picture-based bulletin board, we'll all just have to pat you on the head and pretend it is cute to watch the kid trying to tie his shoes...

I'm perfectly capable of understanding your words. Perhaps you're frustrated at your inability to say what you mean. Or maybe you just didn't remember saying it and are now too embarrassed to admit that my post was directly responsive to the idiotic point you raised. :shrug:

Deberg_1990
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
That's wonderful, Nostradamus. Remind me about this thread when Bill Parcells takes the Falcons to a Super Bowl Championship. Until then, I'm comfortable with my analysis and grateful to Carl Peterson for providing Kansas City with a superior product compared to what Atlanta fans have been offered over the past two decades.

Atlanta was in the NFC champioship game just a few years ago. They went to the Super Bowl in 1998.

When did the Chiefs win a playoff game again???

Brock
12-19-2007, 12:06 PM

You're telling me you'd rather have Carl Peterson than Bill Parcells.....wow, brilliant....

Personally, I couldn't care less about "the last two decades" beyond the fact that this team hasn't won a playoff game for the last decade and a half. Here, let me make you a turd sandwich, something tells me you won't complain about it.

Sure-Oz
12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm perfectly capable of understanding your words. Perhaps you're frustrated at your inability to say what you mean. Or maybe you just didn't remember saying it and are now too embarrassed to admit that my post was directly responsive to the idiotic point you raised. :shrug:
19 years of mediocrity is considered a superior product? He hasn't won SHIT

chagrin
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM

What was the name of the bus driver?

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Atlanta was in the NFC champioship game just a few years ago. They went to the Super Bowl in 1998.

When did the Chiefs win a playoff game again???

I pointed that out already. Are you telling me that you'd trade all of the success of the Chiefs of the 90's for one appearance in the Superbowl where your team gets embarrassed? If so, who am I to judge? For me though, I'll take the Peterson-led Chiefs' track record over that of the Falcons despite their one, semi-successful season.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
19 years of mediocrity is considered a superior product? He hasn't won SHIT

Neither has Atlanta.

Deberg_1990
12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I pointed that out already. Are you telling me that you'd trade all of the success of the Chiefs of the 90's for one appearance in the Superbowl where your team gets embarrassed? If so, who am I to judge? For me though, I'll take the Peterson-led Chiefs' track record over that of the Falcons despite their one, semi-successful season.

Didnt mean that at all.

I havent read through the whole thread, but if you think that it isnt time for Carl Peterson to go, then something is wrong.

Hes coasting on accomplishments from 15 years ago.

Bowser
12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Neither has Atlanta.

They've won in the playoffs with McKay. At Lambeau, no less.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
You're telling me you'd rather have Carl Peterson than Bill Parcells.....wow, brilliant....

Personally, I couldn't care less about "the last two decades" beyond the fact that this team hasn't won a playoff game for the last decade and a half. Here, let me make you a turd sandwich, something tells me you won't complain about it.

How many Superbowls did Bill Parcells get the Jets or the Cowboys into? Parcells has never gone to a Superbowl without Bill Belichick. Does Belichick come with the deal?

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Didnt mean that at all.

I havent read through the whole thread, but if you think that it isnt time for Carl Peterson to go, then something is wrong.

Hes coasting on accomplishments from 15 years ago.

Well that was my original point.

He's only got 2 more years left on his contract. I can wait. I want to let him leave on his own terms and I think he will when this contract ends. He resurrected Chiefs football and for that I'll always be grateful. If Clark Hunt decided it was time to make a change though, I wouldn't be critical of him. I doubt he will though.

And, besides, I certainly don't see any reason to dump him for an old guy like Bill Parcells. If Parcells takes Atlanta to a Superbowl championship, I'll admit I was wrong.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't get the Parcel's love either. He's freaking 66 years old. DV's a pup

RedThat
12-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Curious, what if Carl stays? Even after he said he would consider resigning after this season?

What if he stays and then the Chiefs go 4-12 the next year? What if they just completely suck, and ownership doesn't do a thing about it? Could this happen? I could only imagine the implosion if it does.

Brock
12-19-2007, 12:30 PM
How many Superbowls did Bill Parcells get the Jets or the Cowboys into? Parcells has never gone to a Superbowl without Bill Belichick. Does Belichick come with the deal?

Bill Parcells is the reason the Cowboys are where they are. Carl Peterson is the reason the Chiefs are where they are.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Carl will stay. What titles he has, is the question IMO

Hootie
12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
I'll take McKay's tenure in Tampa Bay over CP's tenure here...I'll take Peterson's tenure over McKay's tenure in Atlanta...

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
They've won in the playoffs with McKay. At Lambeau, no less.

When you look at Atlanta's product since 1989 and decide that winning a playoff game at Lambeau and making an embarrassing appearance in the Superbowl are more desireable than what the Chiefs have done over the same time period, then you should disagree with me. I'm OK with that.

RedThat
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Bill Parcells is the reason the Cowboys are where they are. Carl Peterson is the reason the Chiefs are where they are.

I disagree. The reason the Cowboys are what they are is because they have an owner who won't settle for anything less than success. The Chiefs other hand do. Just a big difference in attitude when you look at the 2 sides.

dirk digler
12-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Yep. I don't understand why some people still want CP around it makes zero sense.

Hootie
12-19-2007, 12:33 PM
When you look at Atlanta's product since 1989 and decide that winning a playoff game at Lambeau and making an embarrassing appearance in the Superbowl are more desireable than what the Chiefs have done over the same time period, then you should disagree with me. I'm OK with that.
I will absolutely take the Chiefs from 1989 over the Falcons from 1989...

Hootie
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
we haven't made a Super Bowl...that's for sure...

but you can't erase the several quality seasons with Carl Peterson that were fun from week 1 all the way until we choked in the playoffs...did the choke job hurt? Absolutely! It sucked! But being perennial Super Bowl contenders in the 90's and even one or two seasons with Vermeil at the helm (people at least thought we were Super Bowl caliber) was pretty exciting IMO.

Mecca
The Falcons played in a Superbowl you know...

dirk digler

I would take it from 89-98 after that the Chiefs have been complete shit hole team

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Me too. But we are talking about Rich McKay, so lets compare his tenure with the same period for King Carl. That is what we are debating, right?

DT

Bowser
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM

I was referring specifically to the McKay years in Atlanta.

And really, your point is who sucked worse in that timeframe, and based on playoff/Super Bowl stats, it would be the Chiefs, depressingly. You're sounding like a Carl apologist, pat.

Brock
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
The Falcons played in a Superbowl you know...

No, we didn't know..... :drool:

Mecca
12-19-2007, 12:40 PM
No, we didn't know..... :drool:

Well Hootie was sure acting like the Chiefs somehow attained more success.

Hootie
12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Me too. But we are talking about Rich McKay, so lets compare his tenure with the same period for King Carl. That is what we are debating, right?

DT
I'm indifferent when it comes to our GM.

If we want to replace Carl with McKay...go for it! But it's going to be the same old thing when we don't reach a Super Bowl next year, the year after, or the year after that...

Carl has done some good things, and he has done some bad things...but can you blame him for trying to compete this year? Look at how the fans have reacted...

Everyone was PRAYING for a rebuilding year...that's essentially what happened...Brodie is playing...a lot of young guys are playing...we're going to draft in the top 10...and everyone is crying about it.

Is this NOT what everyone wanted?

Hootie
12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Well Hootie was sure acting like the Chiefs somehow attained more success.
we didn't make a Super Bowl...

Duh.

BUT

and everyone knows this...

We were Super Bowl contenders for pretty much Marty's entire tenure...how much of that can you blame on Carl? Apparently he was fielding the right staff and players to build a Super Bowl contender...but at the end of the day, he's not throwing the passes or kicking the field goals...

AND I'm pretty sure everyone knows we were an average defense away from being the best team in the NFL during the Vermeil tenure...when you have coaches telling Carl it's the system, it's the system...what can he do?

He can't predict the future...I would say he's done an ADEQUATE job since Marty...and I definitely would have no problem with him being fired...

But he's not even close to the worst GM in the NFL...

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:45 PM

DT

My posts were related to the Talking Bong's comparison of the two franchises, not McKay vs. Peterson. There were two different discussions going on.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I was referring specifically to the McKay years in Atlanta.

And really, your point is who sucked worse in that timeframe, and based on playoff/Super Bowl stats, it would be the Chiefs, depressingly. You're sounding like a Carl apologist, pat.

OK, but you were replying to me and I've made it clear multiple times in this thread that I was talking about the "seriousness" of the Atlanta franchise versus that of the Chiefs franchise. I understand the confusion though.

I suppose I am a Carl apologist, if that's what you call someone who wants to see him finish his current contract.

dirk digler
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Everyone was PRAYING for a rebuilding year...that's essentially what happened...Brodie is playing...a lot of young guys are playing...we're going to draft in the top 10...and everyone is crying about it.

Then they should have started rebuilding during the past off season and then be honest with the fans about it.

They did neither and they wasted 3/4 of a season before starting the rebuild process when it should been done from day 1 this year.

RedThat
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
In 1989-98 we hired a coach who brought winning, success, and stability to this franchise. A large part of the Chiefs success is in credit to Marty. Marty is the best coach that the Chiefs have had since Peterson has been around.

I think that makes a difference when you hire a guy who wins! Marty is that. But when you change coaches all the time it has an affect on how you do things. How many times have the Chiefs changed HC's in the last decade? 3 times.

I really think it would help this franchise if they brought in a REALLY good head coach who can bring in a winning attitude and one who knows what he's doing and that has a really good plan. One who can win consistently and just do a great enough job where he can stay and have success and longevity thats what we need. There are a handful of coaches in this league that are like that. Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher(Ok well till he resigned), Jeff Fisher, Bill Belichek. These are to name a few, and good NFL head coaches.

But it helps when you dont change coaches all the time and hire a winner. Chiefs need to do that. Maybe Herm is that guy? Who knows? But honestly, I don't interpret it as a good sign when in your second year as a head coach you go from ok to really bad especially after you've had the opportunity to upgrade your roster. 2nd year should always be an improvement for coaches. That hasn't been the case for Herm, and that's what's bothersome.

dirk digler
12-19-2007, 12:53 PM
we didn't make a Super Bowl...

Duh.

BUT

and everyone knows this...

We were Super Bowl contenders for pretty much Marty's entire tenure...how much of that can you blame on Carl? Apparently he was fielding the right staff and players to build a Super Bowl contender...but at the end of the day, he's not throwing the passes or kicking the field goals...

AND I'm pretty sure everyone knows we were an average defense away from being the best team in the NFL during the Vermeil tenure...when you have coaches telling Carl it's the system, it's the system...what can he do?

He can't predict the future...I would say he's done an ADEQUATE job since Marty...and I definitely would have no problem with him being fired...

But he's not even close to the worst GM in the NFL...

IMHO the sole reason we were a SB contender was because of Marty. Every year he was handcuffed by a cheap GM\owner who never spent the necessary dollars to upgrade the team except for the every other year 1 big FA bust that they signed excluding Marcus and Montana.

The Chiefs routinely over achieved based on the rosters overall talent and that was because Marty willed them and coached them to succeed.

But in the playoffs you have to have superior talent and great coaching to win and we didn't have neither.

Brock
12-19-2007, 12:54 PM
And what is the reason the Chiefs are having to rebuild in the first place? "Rebuilding" means you didn't maintain it properly. It means you didn't prepare replacements for Roaf, Shields, Law, etc. It means you blew important draft picks on a fat samoan, a TE/FB/WR hybrid, and a MLB with the shortest arms in the world.

dirk digler
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I suppose I am a Carl apologist, if that's what you call someone who wants to see him finish his current contract.

Apologist would be the last word I would choose more like idiot or moron would be more appropriate. :)

RedThat
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
And what is the reason the Chiefs are having to rebuild in the first place? "Rebuilding" means you didn't maintain it properly. It means you didn't prepare replacements for Roaf, Shields, Law, etc. It means you blew important draft picks on a fat samoan, a TE/FB/WR hybrid, and a MLB with the shortest arms in the world.

I honestly never thought they really were. I just think it caught up to them eventually. The outcome of this season determined the direction where they are headed and what they should do. And I think they are feeling it now not drafting replacements for Roaf, Shields, Law..One of Peterson's weaknesses as a GM that I have noticed is not thinking ahead. always clingy towards those veterans and not thinking of replacing them sooner rather than later.

And I am lead to believe that if it wasn't for the injuries this year to Huard, LJ, etc...We wouldn't have seen the young guys play. jmo

Boozer76
12-19-2007, 01:10 PM

"Status quo"

How about "Get over it"?

dtebbe
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
IMHO the sole reason we were a SB contender was because of Marty. Every year he was handcuffed by a cheap GM\owner who never spent the necessary dollars to upgrade the team except for the every other year 1 big FA bust that they signed excluding Marcus and Montana.

The Chiefs routinely over achieved based on the rosters overall talent and that was because Marty willed them and coached them to succeed.

But in the playoffs you have to have superior talent and great coaching to win and we didn't have neither.

I have to admit that I thought letting Marty go was a good move. But now I know I was wrong, Carl was the one who needed to go. I have more respect for Marty now than I ever have, especially after the whole fiasco in SD.

DT

RustShack
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
We missed our chance for Pacells!!!

Mr. Laz
12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Hire Parcells GM let him have the grocery list go shopping New Coaches at every position :)

Get it done Clark
Nope ........... Chiefs miss the boat again.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Everyone wanted a rebuild year from the start with the expectation that by this point in the season some of the young players would be improving and the playcalling and competitiveness of the team would improve.

What we got was half a season of non-rebuild where the team fell apart, lost their will, at times quit and the coaching has remained questionable at best. Instead of getting better things have steadily worsened.

the Talking Can
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
How about "Get over it"?

perfect

rep

Dayze
12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
...yet CP has still has a job. Simply stunning.

Dave Lane
12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Well theres a GM ...now all we need is a OC.

And a coach...

Dave

KCTitus
12-20-2007, 07:05 PM

This is a joke right?

The stuff that everyone is griping about today is 'Marty lite'...did everyone enjoy KC's playoff appearance in January, because it was very much like the 'SB contending' Marty versions of the 90's...the mere fact that anyone could type that and not break out in uproarious laughter is beyond me. I certainly couldnt do it.

The ONLY reason that Marty got to the AFC Championship was on one player, Joe Montana. Pure and simple. Marty had ZERO to do with that and Carl made that call. While I can find many things to fault Carl for and the list is a 1000 miles long, but this is just absurd.

Marty/Herm are two sides of the same coin. Playing not to lose sucks now and it sucked back in the 90's. Holy crap.

I realize the 'grass is always greener on the other side' but this is ridiculous.

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Every year he was handcuffed by a cheap GM\owner who never spent the necessary dollars to upgrade the team except for the every other year 1 big FA bust that they signed excluding Marcus and Montana.

Chiefs spent like crazy in the 90's. They werent cheap by any means, now they spent it stupidly but they werent cheap on players.

Al Bundy
11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I thought I would revisit this thread. This whole move seems to have worked out for Atlanta.. maybe the Chiefs should do the same thing.. raid the Patriots.