PDA

View Full Version : Divorce likelihood?

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
The divorce rate in the US peaked in the 80s - early 90s and has been declining ever since. I don't know if there's been any data (or how meaningful it would be in relation to today's population) - but:

Do you think someone is more likely to get married and divorced if their parents were divorced?

Do you think people whose parents did not divorce are less likely to themselves?

cookster50
12-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I am betting there is at least 1 official study by professionals out there on this subject that answers your very questions. Perhaps an introduction to Mr. Google would help?

In seriousness, I know nothing of the subject. I would imagine most people would think someone whose parents divorced would be more likely to get a divorce themselves, and vice versa.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I am betting there is at least 1 official study by professionals out there on this subject that answers your very questions. Perhaps an introduction to Mr. Google would help?

In seriousness, I know nothing of the subject. I would imagine most people would think someone whose parents divorced would be more likely to get a divorce themselves, and vice versa.

Google can provide information on divorce rate statistics and such, however, with the peak of divorce in the 80s-90s the children from such marriages would just be approaching marriage age themselves over the next 5-10 years. I don't know that there's meaningful studies that would reflect today's culture.

patteeu
12-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Do you think someone is more likely to get married and divorced if their parents were divorced?

Do you think people whose parents did not divorce are less likely to themselves?

I think that people whose parents were divorced are more likely to divorce than people whose parents didn't divorce. I don't have an opinion on whether either group is more or less likely to marry.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2007, 08:14 AM
I wonder if divorce rates are dropping because people are simply cohabitating and not getting married in the first place. I wonder if marriage rates are on the decline.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I wonder if divorce rates are dropping because people are simply cohabitating and not getting married in the first place. I wonder if marriage rates are on the decline.

I believe marriage rates are still declining.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I believe marriage rates are still declining.
IF marriage rates are on the decline wouldn't divorce rates naturally follow?

Phobia
12-19-2007, 08:23 AM
The divorce rate in the US peaked in the 80s - early 90s and has been declining ever since. I don't know if there's been any data (or how meaningful it would be in relation to today's population) - but:

My parents have not divorced nor had my paternal grandparents. Yet I was divorced in my 20's. My wife's mother has been married 3x and her father twice. Her sister has been divorced 3x. Yet, she's only been married to me and we both fully intend to make it forever.

I don't know if that helps any. In my case, it doesn't appear to matter. but statistics may show differently.

Silock
12-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I'll ask my wife when she wakes up. She's a marriage and family therapist. She's got access to all the latest info.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 08:24 AM
IF marriage rates are on the decline wouldn't divorce rates naturally follow?

Possibly, but I don't know that they'd be directly correlated.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I'll ask my wife when she wakes up. She's a marriage and family therapist. She's got access to all the latest info.

Nice. Would be interested in any information available.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Yet, she's only been married to me and we both fully intend to make it forever.
Until she finds out about your deal with the sheep while over in the mid-east.

Hoover
12-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Its declining because people are not getting married. It would sky rocket if gays and lesbians were allowed to marry as their relationships don't tend to long term.

Phobia
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
That had nothing to do with love.

ChiTown
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I think more people are just killing their spouses now days vs divorcing.

Iowanian
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
It makes sense to me that someone whose parents were married, would have a better role model for a successful marraige.

I think divorce rates are higher because people all people don't look at marraige as a life committment, but more of a longer term date with tax benefits...something they can just leave if it gets tough.

People marry quickly, before they truely know their spouse....and then wonder why they're suprised to come home early and find her with the garbage collectors crapping on her chest...

Having been fortunate enough to have been raised in a good home with both decent parents, I can't help but believe there isn't a significant life advantage in that. Truthfully, most of my friends who had/have significant problems in life today, came from broken homes. I feel badly for them.

mcan
12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Its declining because people are not getting married. It would sky rocket if gays and lesbians were allowed to marry as their relationships don't tend to long term.

Kind of a random thing to say, huh?

Divorce rates are declining because YOUNG people aren't getting married nearly as much anymore. That's it. The older you are when you first married, the less likely you are to want a divorce. That's not to say that young people can't get married right out of high school and be with each other for a lifetime, it's just not all that common. The trend to stay single until well into adulthood (past 30) is fairly new. That number keeps getting pushed back too. My guess is, in a century or so, married people will be in the vast minority.

Skip Towne
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
That really wasn't Phobia's fault. He just misunderstood the term "animal husbandry".

Amnorix
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM

This is based on personal experience, or years of studying data?

luv
12-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Divorce rates are declining because YOUNG people aren't getting married nearly as much anymore. That's it. The older you are when you first married, the less likely you are to want a divorce. That's not to say that young people can't get married right out of high school and be with each other for a lifetime, it's just not all that common. The trend to stay single until well into adulthood (past 30) is fairly new. That number keeps getting pushed back too. My guess is, in a century or so, married people will be in the vast minority.
This, or people just aren't getting married, period. More and more people are choosing to co-habitate instead. I know a couple who have been together for years, have two kids, but never got married.

Simplex3
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I think that people whose parents were divorced are more likely to divorce than people whose parents didn't divorce. I don't have an opinion on whether either group is more or less likely to marry.
I'm fairly certain I've seen stats to support this, though I don't remember where.

Scaga
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Nothing official to add, but I can tell you our situation. My parents have been married 40+ years as have my wife's parent's. We're going on year 13 and haven't seen any real "bad" times in our relationship. I believe 100% our marriage benefits from both sets of parents still being married to their original spouse.

Bugeater
12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Not necessarily. My parents divorced, I'm going on 15 yrs of marraige and my brothers are both closing in on a decade.

Bugeater
12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I think divorce rates are higher because people all people don't look at marraige as a life committment, but more of a longer term date with tax benefits...
Where the hell are the tax benefits? If anything you take a tax hit because the personal deduction for two single people is higher than for a married couple.

C-Mac
12-19-2007, 11:52 AM
As mentioned, this does show how information can be skewed because many today just live together therefore not able to be part of the "marriage" statistic. I truly believe that those whose parents stayed together are more likely to also stay in their own marrige.

Bowser
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I bet Jamie Lyn Spears stays together with her baby's daddy.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
It was not that long ago, having a baby out of wedlock was a major embarrassment to the family. Taboo even. Now days it's celebrated. Less shot gun weddings could play a part

el borracho
12-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Damn that Murphy Brown!

Demonpenz
12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I am glad I wasn't born in time where out of wedlock kids were an embarrassment

patteeu
12-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Where the hell are the tax benefits? If anything you take a tax hit because the personal deduction for two single people is higher than for a married couple.

Because of the progressivity in the tax code and the way the tax tables for married and single tax filers are structured, there is a marriage penalty (tax hit) for two income couples who have relatively similar incomes. But for single income families and two income families where one income is much greater than the other, it is a marriage benefit (tax cut) relative to filing separately.

The reason for creating the "married" tax filing status in the first place was to give couples a tax break. At the time, single income families were the norm. It is only after two income families became more common that large numbers of families started facing the unintended consequence of a tax hit.

xbarretx
12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Kind of a random thing to say, huh?

Hoover does have a point. in the past it would be common to have alternative lifestyle people marry to conceal(sp?) there sexual orientation. as the shock factor of whos gay and whos not is really no longer around (IMHO) there are a large number of those who simply dont marry for that reason.

Also, people who have parents who get divorced are not more likley to get divorced themselfs. otherwise statisticly over a long enough timeframe everyone would have a parent whos got divorced as such no one would get married. it would be like passing on a gene for a disease thus everyone would have it given enough time.

The point made earlier about getting married to early and not taking it as a serious commitment is valid and good points to be made. however, it will be impossible to correct them as the sanctity of marriage being under constant attack from the gays who want to be married ROFL

people need to grow up, i think many marrages end in divorce b/c
A) they get married too soon
B) are afraid to tell the spouce that they dont really want to get married (pseudo peer pressure)
C) people skills are on the decline and thus couples cant work simple problems out

while my ranting may make me look crazy, its my 2 cents. take them or leave them in the "share a penny" tray :o)

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Also, people who have parents who get divorced are not more likley to get divorced themselfs. otherwise statisticly over a long enough timeframe everyone would have a parent whos got divorced as such no one would get married. it would be like passing on a gene for a disease thus everyone would have it given enough time.

Not necessarily. Greater likelihood does not equal it happening. People whose parents divorced (as evidenced in this thread alone) can sustain their own marriage. The question I was posing was likelihood (via learned behavior?), not absolution.

xbarretx
12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Not necessarily. Greater likelihood does not equal it happening. People whose parents divorced (as evidenced in this thread alone) can sustain their own marriage. The question I was posing was likelihood (via learned behavior?), not absolution.

learned behavior yes, parents divorced or not should have tought kids to take responsiblity and decision making. i think the recent trends over hte past decade or two are a backlash from the strict bible thumper ways pre the 60's. i.e. parents rebelled...so there kids rebelled...so there kids rebelled...thats why parents are becomming more lax. they didnt like the strictness (is that even a word ;)) so they ease off a bit on there kids.

is divorce learned..no but can it be encouraged at an early age....survey says YES ;)