PDA

View Full Version : Mangino named AP National Coach of the Year

Lzen
12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Mangino named AP National Coach of the Year

By Ryan Wood

Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino brought in another lunker of an award.

The Associated Press today named Mangino the national coach of the year, after the Jayhawks shocked college football by going 11-1 and earning an invitation to the Orange Bowl.

It's another big honor for what's becoming a big pile in the trophy room. Mangino already this month was named national coach of the year by ESPN and The Sporting News, and has won the Walter Camp Award and Woody Hayes National Coach of the Year award.

"Head coaches get far too much credit for winning, and far too much blame for losing," Mangino said last week of all the national attention he's received. "I'm taking it all in stride. I appreciate it, I'm thankful for it, but it really reflects the entire program. I couldn't do it alone, and I don't have the ability or talent to do it alone."

Mangino is in his sixth year as KU's head coach, with a career mark of 36-36. After signing a new contract in the summer of 2006 that paid him $1.5 million annually, the Jayhawks had a disappointing 6-6 season, raising questions about Mangino's job security.

Well, it's secure now. He's believed to be the first KU coach ever to win AP national coach-of-the-year honors, and will collect a $50,000 bonus - written into his contract - for winning the award.

"To be quite honest with you, I appreciate the awards that have been given to me. I'm humbled by it," Mangino said. "I'm not a smart guy � but I'm smart enough to figure out that it has to do with the players. I'm coaching the same way in 2007 that I did in 2002. We were 2-10 (in '02).

"You get the right kids, you get good assistant coaches that care about the kids, that care about winning, that are good teachers? Then you're going to win."

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/dec/19/mangino_named_ap_national_coach_year/

CoMoChief
12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
repost.

Lzen
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Damn, I did a search before I posted. I guess that is what happens when you're trying to multitask. Took me 20 minutes or so to actually post this. Sry.