PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod

penguinz
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/1218mayophoto1219.html

A Mayo Clinic Hospital surgeon in training used a cellphone to photograph a patient's genitals during surgery and now may face disciplinary action and a patient's attorney.

Dr. Adam Hansen, chief resident of general surgery at the Phoenix hospital, admitted to Mayo administrators he snapped the photo during a Dec. 11 gallbladder surgery on patient Sean Dubowik, whose penis bears the tattooed slogan, "Hot Rod."

After Hansen showed the photo to other members of the surgical staff, one phoned a Republic reporter on Monday and left an anonymous message about the incident.

Dubowik, 37, also first heard about the photo Monday, in a phone call from Mayo Clinic.

"I got a strange call after my surgery from a doctor who said there was a problem. He said Hansen was on the phone and would explain," said Dubowik, whose thoughts rushed to a medical complication.

Hansen told Dubowik that when he attached a catheter to the patient's member, he had shot a picture.

"He told me he didn't want me to read about it in the newspaper first," Dubowik said. Hansen claimed he erased the image almost immediately, Dubowik said.

An investigation has been under way at Mayo Clinic since a member of the surgical-support staff reported the incident last week. Hansen was not available for comment.

Hansen has been placed on administrative leave and is neither seeing nor treating patients.

The issue is expected to be resolved at a hearing planned for today, according to Dr. Joseph Sirven, education director for Mayo Clinic Arizona, the hospital's parent organization based in Scottsdale.

"The options range from probation to termination," said Sirven, who is involved because Hansen is a trainee.

"Patient privacy is a serious matter, and photographing someone in this manner without a good reason is something we will investigate down to the last detail," Sirven said.

Dubowik runs a Phoenix topless bar, Centerfolds Cabaret, and said he'd gotten the tattoo on a $1,000 bet.

"It was the most horrible thing I ever went though in my life," Dubowik said. He said he chose Mayo Clinic for treatment because his mother had five surgeries there.

"They were supposedly the best of the best. I have no complaints about the medical care I was given," he said.

"But now I feel violated, betrayed and disgusted. I've never been in a hospital and (my) first experience is the worst thing ever."

Dubowik said he had been terrified about the impending surgery and said he had formed a "bond" with Hansen, who helped him stay calm.

A spokesman for the Arizona Medical Board couldn't comment on whether a complaint had reached the board, citing privacy rules.

Under the Arizona Medical Practice Act, unprofessional conduct can include viewing a disrobed patient in the course of treatment if the viewing is not related to diagnosis or treatment. The statute also bans conduct that may be harmful to the health of the patient.

No other incidents involving cellphone use in surgery have been reported in Arizona, according to Roger Downey of the state board.

Dubowik, who had not yet spoken to an attorney Tuesday, said he planned to contact one.

"The longer I sit here the angrier I get," he said.

Rain Man
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
It's horrible that they looked at his genitals. That's something that should only be done by a trained tattoo artist.

penguinz
12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
It's horrible that they looked at his genitals. That's something that should only be done by a trained tattoo artist.I totally agree. I made my urologist keep his eyes closed during my snipping last week.

Donger
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
That would be a hard decision. Would you get the tattoo while flaccid or erect?

Donger
12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
"It was the most horrible thing I ever went though in my life," Dubowik said.

Wait. To what is he referring here?

Rain Man
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
That would be a hard decision. Would you get the tattoo while flaccid or erect?

Good question. If they could read it, I imagine that he went the former route unless he gets aroused by anasthetic. I guess the decision would really depend on who you want to be reading it - women you're flashing, or men glancing over from the next urinal.

Rain Man
12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
The more I think about it, maybe you don't have a choice about when you get the tattoo. If it's a guy tattooer, it's flaccid. If it's an attractive female tattooer, it's not going to be. Unattractive female? I can't really make the call on that. Maybe it would depend on how cold her hands were.

Jenson71
12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
This thread is worthless with pics.

Donger
12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
The more I think about it, maybe you don't have a choice about when you get the tattoo. If it's a guy tattooer, it's flaccid. If it's an attractive female tattooer, it's not going to be. Unattractive female? I can't really make the call on that. Maybe it would depend on how cold her hands were.

Honestly, he could have really knocked it out of the park and done something really creative, like a Mad magazine fold-in.

Rain Man
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Honestly, he could have really knocked it out of the park and done something really creative, like a Mad magazine fold-in.

Wow. That would have been really impressive.

I wonder if you could tattoo on one of those patterns that looks like a three-dimensional picture when you look through it with unfocused eyes. Maybe he could have made his penis look twice as big.

Donger
12-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow. That would have been really impressive.

I wonder if you could tattoo on one of those patterns that looks like a three-dimensional picture when you look through it with unfocused eyes. Maybe he could have made his penis look twice as big.

That would be a great pick-up line, too:

"I can't see anything! I really can't!"

"Just relax, and keep looking. Un-focus your eyes. It will come."

Rain Man
12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
That would be a great pick-up line, too:

"I can't see anything! I really can't!"

"Just relax, and keep looking. Un-focus your eyes. It will come."

"Maybe you have to be closer."

Donger
12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
"Maybe you have to be closer."