PDA

View Full Version : LJ appears to suffer setback in practice

Hammock Parties
12-20-2007, 12:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/411143.html

LJ appears to suffer setback in practice
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Time is running out for Larry Johnson to fulfill the pledge he made to teammates shortly after breaking a bone in his foot.

Johnson told many of the other Chiefs that he would return to play before the season was finished and now has but two games left to make good on it.

Johnson received a heavier workload in practice Wednesday than he has since the injury in early November. Johnson shared the first-team snaps with Kolby Smith and appeared as if he was preparing to play Sunday against the Lions in Detroit.

But about halfway through practice, Johnson headed for the sideline and spoke with one of the trainers, careful the whole time not to put weight on the injured foot.

He then left the practice field and didn’t return.

That left his status muddled in all sorts of mixed signals.

“I don’t know if it was a setback,” coach Herm Edwards said. “We’ll find out (today) and the next day.

“He got a little sore. I’ve got to see where that’s at. He’s limited right now and I’ve got him questionable.”

Smith, who had to share the first-team snaps with Johnson for the first time since he became a starter last month, said he was planning on sharing them with Johnson on Sunday, too. He even took exception to a comment that he was the one doing the sharing.

“With him being back, this is his team,” said Smith, ever the deferential rookie. “He’s the running back for the Kansas City Chiefs. I’m not sharing with him. He’s sharing with me.”

What’s clear is this: The Chiefs hadn’t ruled Johnson out, as they had done by this time every week since the injury. He was also attending the game-planning meetings, which he had been skipping since the injury.

“I think they’re letting him take some baby steps,” fullback Boomer Grigsby said. “I’m not sure exactly what his status is. I’m not sure if he’s sure. I think it’s the kind of thing that he’s got to go out there and do his thing and they’ll see how he feels.

“He’s kind of like a caged tiger, just kind of walking around and walking around. I know he wants to play.”

On the surface, it’s difficult to find any benefit from a Johnson return this season. The Chiefs are 4-10 and their playoff hopes have long since disappeared.

Johnson, however, appears determined to play again. The Chiefs would like to win their remaining two games, including the Dec. 30 finale against the Jets in New York.

“I don’t know,” Edwards said, referring to possible benefits of Johnson’s return. “You have to weigh that. That’s a hard decision. You’ve got to make the best decision for the player. That’s the first thing: What benefits the player? We haven’t had to make that decision yet.

“Good players always make you better. They make you a better team, better coaches.”

The Chiefs haven’t won since Johnson was injured in their 33-22 loss to Green Bay on Nov. 4 at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs at the time were 4-3 and in first place in the AFC West.

While it’s impossible to assume the Chiefs would still be playoff contenders had Johnson remained in their lineup, it’s probably no coincidence they haven’t won without him.

“The better players you have, the better chance you have to win,” Edwards said. “Is he a difference-maker? Yeah. He’s an 1,800-yard runner. That’s what he ran for last year. Whether he would have done that this year because of some of the situations we put ourselves in, I don’t know that. But he’s a quality back, one of the better backs in the National Football League.

“You don’t want to put it on one player because then you’re (discounting) everyone else. You can’t do that. It’s a team thing. But he helps you.”

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are planning on playing against the Lions their sixth halfback of the season. Rookie Jackie Battle was promoted from the practice squad last week and played on special teams.

He could play on offense in Detroit.

“We’d like to get him the ball some,” Edwards said. “We’d like to get him in the game and let him carry the ball and find out if he can run or not.”

Demonpenz
12-20-2007, 12:18 AM
see you next year complete mandatory post injury and big contract problem of making weight

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Edwards you dumb F*CK he shouldn't even be on the field this season after that injury.

C-Mac
12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Edwards you dumb F*CK he shouldn't even be on the field this season after that injury.
I dont think Edwards wants to play him, its likely LJ is making the issue.

Bowser
12-20-2007, 12:27 AM
He should have been put on IR the second we were out of the playoff hunt. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

wazu
12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
He should have been put on IR the second we were out of the playoff hunt. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2007, 12:29 AM
I dont think Edwards wants to play him, its likely LJ is making the issue.

I don't care, Herm and the docs should tell him your OUT till next season. I don't care if he's bitching to get in, it's for him to stay healthy and not really F*CK up his Lis Franc injury

Hammock Parties
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't care, Herm and the docs should tell him your OUT till next season. I don't care if he's bitching to get in, it's for him to stay healthy and not really F*CK up his Lis Franc injury

It's not a Lis Franc. I know your daddy told you so, but it's not.

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
It's not a Lis Franc. I know your daddy told you so, but it's not.

yes it is, even BigRedChief can confirm that

Eleazar
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
It doesn't seem likely that this injury could be something that affected his status for next season, so I don't care if he comes back or not, really. I wouldn't blame him or the team for just shutting it down and waiting until next year when he's full strength again.

Pablo
12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm sure we're all M.D.'s here and at least 5 dozen planeteers have personally examined L.J.'s injured foot.

All that aside..we don't need you Larry. Just rest yourself for next season, with a hopefully improved line and another young back in the field to spell you.

Demonpenz
12-20-2007, 12:35 AM
will he get drug tested again. If i was him I would by some bomb ass weed some chrystal and party

Tits McGee
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
will he get drug tested again. If i was him I would by some bomb ass weed some chrystal and party

Second hand blow. It's always the other guy.

blueballs
12-20-2007, 01:55 AM
I knew I saw BATTLE on the back of a jersey sunday
but forgot about it until reading about the rookie
I wondered at the time if they get really desperate at DB

BigRedChief
12-20-2007, 06:10 AM
yes it is, even BigRedChief can confirm thatNot exactly, thats what they thought it was at first and it may still be a minor form of the Lis Franc type injury.

But what was confirmed with my source when the Chiefs were telling us that it was an ankle sprain it was really a broken/cracked bone in his foot with muscle/ligament involvment. Now whether that was Lis Franc or not I never confirmed.

BigRedChief
12-20-2007, 06:14 AM
It doesn't seem likely that this injury could be something that affected his status for next season, so I don't care if he comes back or not, really. I wouldn't blame him or the team for just shutting it down and waiting until next year when he's full strength again.
Not true. If it's a minor form of the Lis Franc injury that just needed rest and he agrrevates it or worsens the injury into a full blown Lis Franc injury then its a year recovery time and he's out for 2008.

Larry just needs to have a http://www.toughshed.com/catalog/images/mug1.jpg

HypnotizedMonkey
12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
go Priest... it's not too late for a second miraculous return!

Chief Chief
12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
What was edited out of the article:

"Shortly after leaving the practice field, Johnson was spotted in an Arrowhead Stadium suite, munching on nachos."

the Talking Can
12-20-2007, 06:55 AM
good thing LJ was reinjured trying to save a four win season.....

Stryker
12-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Gee imagine that. :rolleyes:

StillHonest
12-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Should rest him and get him ready for trade before his head explodes.

Eleazar
12-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Not true. If it's a minor form of the Lis Franc injury that just needed rest and he agrrevates it or worsens the injury into a full blown Lis Franc injury then its a year recovery time and he's out for 2008.

I was referring to what everyone had been saying, that it was not a lisfranc

stevieray
12-20-2007, 07:56 AM
I never believed for a second that he was coming back this season.

I wish that they'd just drop it.

talastan
12-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Larry, Larry, Larry, please just sit down. You opened your mouth about playing this season and now have to insert your hurt foot. Just accept it like everyone else has to and rest for 2008. With a hopefully improved line you'll be back to terrorizing the field soon enough.

P.S. Don't forget to kick that supposed trainer of your's ass for all of us!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Actually he hurt his vagina.

FringeNC
12-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Good news for Brodie and his health.

The Franchise
12-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Just put the man on IR already. That will give us a roster spot so we can bring Phinissee to the active roster.

Simply Red
12-20-2007, 10:10 AM
The Chiefs are a wreck no matter who's in the back-field.

Mr. Laz
12-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Mr. Laz
12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Larry, Larry, Larry, please just sit down. You opened your mouth about playing this season and now have to insert your hurt foot. Just accept it like everyone else has to and rest for 2008. With a hopefully improved line you'll be back to terrorizing the field soon enough.

P.S. Don't forget to kick that supposed trainer of your's ass for all of us!!
it shouldn't be left up to the player

the coaches should have enough ballz to do the right thing and put him on IR.

another stupid move by the chiefs

Pushead2
12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Can we trade him please?? I am sure the Bears would love him.....

Mr. Laz
12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Can we trade him please?? I am sure the Bears would love him.....
too late ...... we already gave him his huge signing bonus.

trade him now and we flush 15 million down the crapper

Simply Red
12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
too late ...... we already gave him his huge signing bonus.

trade him now and we flush 15 million down the crapper

Plus, as a bonus; he gets `crunk` up in the club. I'm told.

talastan
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't think a trade will ever happen now. But the coaches just need to put him on IR. It's not they have to worry about selling tickets for Arrowhead this season any more. Let Larry rest and get angry and stew over it for the next few months. Then when 2008 season starts he'll be nice and angry to mow down the defense again! ;)

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I never believed for a second that he was coming back this season.

I wish that they'd just drop it.

No kidding.

Rausch
12-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Plus, as a bonus; he gets `crunk` up in the club. I'm told.

So?...

Iowanian
12-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't think these douchebags have had any intention of LJ playing another snap this season.

When did the team ever disclose that he broke a bone in his foot?

I find it pretty insulting as a fan that they're playing the week to week angle, when its been pretty obviously BULLSHIT to me since 5 seconds after I saw that injury.

FringeNC
12-20-2007, 11:11 AM
The tough question is not what to do with Larry this year. Who cares?

The tough question is what to do with him next year. Let's face it, Smith has been more productive, is a better pass-blocker, and is not a distraction.

Sure-Oz
12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
He should be on IR, and not play a snap the rest of the season. Why the hell is he even practicing, let him be balllaaaa

Bowser
12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't think these douchebags have had any intention of LJ playing another snap this season.

When did the team ever disclose that he broke a bone in his foot?

I find it pretty insulting as a fan that they're playing the week to week angle, when its been pretty obviously BULLSHIT to me since 5 seconds after I saw that injury.

No doubt. It just reeks of management saying "Don't stop watching! LJ might be back and you'll miss him!" Utter horseshit. They should have sit him down for the season when it happened.

Now watch karma step up and cornhole Carl when LJ blows out his Achilles against the Jets.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-20-2007, 11:24 AM

The tough question is what to do with him next year. Let's face it, Smith has been more productive, is a better pass-blocker, and is not a distraction.

Until he gets paid

Bwana
12-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm sure glad the Chiefs gave LJ "all the money" and a fat contract.

stonedstooge
12-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think that Larry will ever play at the level he did for most of the season last year. If you couldn't see in that playoff game it was Larry's first step being less quick then before and not that the Colts had made a 100% turnaround into a #1 defense. The same thing this year. He has not exactly lost a step but has lost the explosing off the handoff that he displayed before. Herm ran him to death in 2005 and I think he is probably nothing more than an average back anymore. Good job Herm. You have managed to screw up everything decent on this team. Who's your next target Tony G.? No he's probably a little to sharp to listen to your bull. Hey how about Jared Allen. He's young, has had a couple of excellent years, a prime candidate for you to ruin like you did Larry.

the Talking Can
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM

there is nothing we can do with him....he'll be on our roster, for better or worse, for years....unless we want to eat a gigantic cap-turd sandwich...

FringeNC
12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
there is nothing we can do with him....he'll be on our roster, for better or worse, for years....unless we want to eat a gigantic cap-turd sandwich...

True. What I meant is will there be real competition for the job? Will LJ just be given the job? Will Smith and LJ split time -- in which case LJ will most likely become even more of a malcontent. At this point, a case can be made that LJ has negative value to this team -- but we can't cut him.

the Talking Can
12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
True. What I meant is will there be real competition for the job? Will LJ just be given the job? Will Smith and LJ split time -- in which case LJ will most likely become even more of a malcontent. At this point, a case can be made that LJ has negative value to this team -- but we can't cut him.

oh, yeah....I'd bet Herm will not f with LJ's starter status...for at least another year...but if Smith keeps running the way he has...?

I'm hoping that all this - his injury, the doubters, Smith - will make him angry again, and he'll run like he used to, like he wanted to kill everyone within eyesight....but that may be a pipe dream...

it will interesting to watch what happens on 3rd downs next year, Smith is already a better pass protector...will he sub for LJ on 3rd, and if so, will LJ pout about it? or maybe god forbid actually try to block for once?

lots of potential drama next year, but thank god we have Smith in case anything blows up...

Mr. Laz
12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
True. What I meant is will there be real competition for the job? Will LJ just be given the job?

dam well bet that LJ, with his 50 million dollar contract, is getting the starting job.

the best we can hope for is that they allow Smith to earn some real playing time.

The Franchise
12-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't think that Larry will ever play at the level he did for most of the season last year. If you couldn't see in that playoff game it was Larry's first step being less quick then before and not that the Colts had made a 100% turnaround into a #1 defense. The same thing this year. He has not exactly lost a step but has lost the explosing off the handoff that he displayed before. Herm ran him to death in 2005 and I think he is probably nothing more than an average back anymore. Good job Herm. You have managed to screw up everything decent on this team. Who's your next target Tony G.? No he's probably a little to sharp to listen to your bull. Hey how about Jared Allen. He's young, has had a couple of excellent years, a prime candidate for you to ruin like you did Larry.
I blame the Holocaust on Herm. STFU

Thig Lyfe
12-20-2007, 12:52 PM
OPENING THE DOOR FOR KOLBY!

Halfcan
12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
LJ should just retire allready.

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Not exactly, thats what they thought it was at first and it may still be a minor form of the Lis Franc type injury.

correct it was a sprain, but any direst could cause a break.

stevieray
12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
correct it was a sprain, but any direst could cause a break.

direst? did you mean duress?

BigMeatballDave
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
LJ is dead to me...

Halfcan
12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
LJ is a crybaby-I hope he Never comes back.

stevieray
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
LJ is dead to me...

ya, my wife and I were listening to grunny this morning and both said that we really didn't care if he played another down in KC.

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
direst? did you mean duress?

Correct