PDA

View Full Version : Tucker: Even in down times, Chiefs' Gonzalez produces

Coogs
12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Even in down times, Chiefs' Gonzalez produces
BY DOUG TUCKER
Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - One more year is all Tony Gonzalez needs to become the most productive tight end in the history of the National Football League.

The question for Kansas City's nine-time Pro Bowl player is whether he'll spend that year as a Chief.

He'd like to. But major changes are afoot at Arrowhead Stadium and even at 32, he would probably be worth some valuable draft choices if the frantically rebuilding Chiefs should elect to trade one of their greatest players in the autumn of his career.

"It's a legitimate thought on their part," Gonzalez said. "If they traded me away, they could probably get some pretty good players for me. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything major happen to me. In fact, I feel like I'm probably playing my best football right now. It's a possibility for them, from an organizational standpoint, and for me, too."

Despite another terrific year from Gonzalez, the Chiefs offense this season has been one of the worst in the league. Going into Sunday's game at Detroit, he's second among NFL tight ends with 82 catches and 971 yards receiving. Yet the Chiefs are 4-10 with a seven-game losing streak, averaging 271.6 yards -- 31st among the 32 NFL teams.

With 66 career touchdown catches, he leads all NFL tight ends. He needs 13 catches and 380 yards receiving to set the tight end record in those categories as well.

But the Chiefs aren't anywhere close to contending for the Super Bowl championship Gonzalez has always dreamed of and probably won't be next year, or the year after.

The reality is starting to set in that unless he does get traded to a contender, he could wind up a great career without a single appearance in his sport's biggest game.

"I think about that a lot. All the time. I was thinking about it this morning while I was lifting weights," he said. "Really, I'm getting a little scared about it. I always felt that I was going to be able to get a championship as a Chief."

Nevertheless, he still feels like he'd like to stick it out and remain a Chief.

"I'm not going to go out there and beat myself up if a championship doesn't happen," he said. "I've done a lot of other good things, too. I've worked too hard to look back and say I wasted my time in Kansas City.

"At least I got to go out there and play the game I love for all these years, and with one team. So you take the good with the bad."

The fact he was voted into his ninth straight Pro Bowl while on such a bad team is a reflection of the respect his peers have for him.

"You realize how fortunate you are. I've had such a blast," he said. "If I wanted to, I think I could play another five years. We'll see how it goes. I'm coming back next year for sure, but the year after that? I don't know. I really don't. If the team's going in the right direction, I'll be on board. If I see we've got a legitimate shot, I'll be here."

In the meantime, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said running back Larry Johnson remained questionable for Sunday even though he did a little more work in practice on Wednesday than he's done since injuring his foot on Nov. 4. The two-time Pro Bowl player has missed six straight games.

Chiefs claim former KU player -- Kansas City claimed offensive tackle Adrian Jones off waivers from the New York Jets, agreed to a three-year contract with tight end Michael Allan and added offensive tackle Joe Lobdell to the practice squad on Wednesday.

The Chiefs also placed offensive tackle Kyle Turley on injured reserve.

Jones, the Jets' fourth-round pick out of Kansas in 2004, played in seven games this season for New York, but was inactive the last seven. A converted tight end, Jones played in 44 games on the offensive line during his Jets career, including 16 starts -- three at right tackle and 13 at left tackle -- in 2005.

Jones had some legal problems last season when he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated. He was fined $20,000 by the team and was monitored by the NFL as a first-time offender of the league's substance abuse policy.

Turley played in seven games at right tackle for the Chiefs this season before hurting his ankle.

Coogs
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Interesting. I thought this bit on Gonzo being open to being traded would draw some sort of responses.

I first ran across this article in the Salina Journal. The title in that parer is "Gonzalez ponders future as Chief". They don't have the story on their website though, so I found the article in the Wichita Eagle.

FAX
12-20-2007, 12:10 PM
God have Mercy on us.

Herm is running off Gonzo, too.

This is like unto a nightmare.

FAX

King_Chief_Fan
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Interesting. I thought this bit on Gonzo being open to being traded would draw some sort of responses.

I first ran across this article in the Salina Journal. The title in that parer is "Gonzalez ponders future as Chief". They don't have the story on their website though, so I found the article in the Wichita Eagle.

If the Chiefs do something that effin stupid, I will be done with this team. I know no one cares but my point has nothing to do with being a Gonzo fan instead of a Chiefs fan. doing tht stupid move will tell all of us far more than we wanted to know about the tail spin this team is really in. If gettng rid of Gonzo is part of the plan. I don't want any part of it. I am tired of Carl and Herm. Man this team is in trouble:banghead:

stevieray
12-20-2007, 12:49 PM
God have Mercy on us.

Herm is running off Gonzo, too.

This is like unto a nightmare.

FAX

Yup, my gut tells me that deep down TG is done with the Chiefs..can't say that I blame him...just add him to the list of great Chief players who won't get a ring...at least not with us...

downright depressing.