PDA

View Full Version : Is Faneca too old?

dtebbe
12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
No way the Steelers are going to pay Faneca market price, so he's going to be available. We need to plug some guys in who can play now, and then try to get some young guys in the draft. The question is, is 30 old for a G in the NFL?

DT

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Yes.

Hammock Parties
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Just ignore the old guys.

the Talking Can
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
lord yes

Buehler445
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Absolultely. Positively. Yes.

bowener
12-20-2007, 10:47 PM
really?

Simplex3
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Without a doubt. The Chiefs shouldn't even bother looking at anyone over 26.

pikesome
12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
If he signed a relatively cheap and short contract (no more than 2 years, no fat-ass SB) I'd take him. But he isn't.

Simplex3
12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
If he signed a relatively cheap and short contract (no more than 2 years, no fat-ass SB) I'd take him. But he isn't.
Even then he'd be taking up a spot on the field. Just say no.

C-Mac
12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
One thing is for sure, they wont be able to draft a whole new Oline this year, so some new FA's will have to be signed. That said, Faneca would fill in nicely for the short term and who knows maybe even longer.

ChiefFan31
12-20-2007, 11:33 PM
He is too old for our current situation. If we were the good ole 'one player away' from a Super Bowl run, then yeah...sign the guy. He is damn good.

But he is no good for us right now.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2007, 11:34 PM
No.

He'll be 32 next season. And if you ask any Steelers fans, they'll tell you that his play has dropped off, regardless of the Pro Bowl award this year

C-Mac
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
He is too old for our current situation. If we were the good ole 'one player away' from a Super Bowl run, then yeah...sign the guy. He is damn good.

But he is no good for us right now.

So your suggesting even if a "Willie Roaf" was available that they should just pass on him since he is over 30. I believe that allowing Brodie Croye to develop from the vertical position is far more benficial to building this team.

ChiefFan31
12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
So your suggesting even if a "Willie Roaf" was available that they should just pass on him since he is over 30. I believe that allowing Brodie Croye to develop from the vertical position is far more benficial to building this team.

No, I suggested that Faneca is too old for us to sign him in our current situation.

C-Mac
12-21-2007, 12:16 AM
No, I suggested that Faneca is too old for us to sign him in our current situation.

My understanding in our current situation is that Brodie Croyle and the offense needs to develop. You cant have a team develop with no veterans what-so-ever.

Sure-Oz
12-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, he is...we suck and don't need to get older.

Mojo Rising
12-21-2007, 01:54 AM
I would be OK with signing him. Our cap isn't maxed yet. It would give our QB time to develop and our running game a chance get momentum too.

Let's face it. We need 4 Offensive Linemen. If we could plug another Guard in until we get 2 Tackles and a Center we could make it through '08 with Croyle upright.

Then once we get the Tackles and Center developed we can look at replacing the Guards.

It's not like we don't have 2 CB, 2 WR (I like Bowe but we don't have a 3rd), DT, and soon a TE in our future wish list.

Oh yeah, our QB is shaky and we don't have a FB. We can draft for the line but we can't get 4 starters.

FAX
12-21-2007, 01:56 AM
In my opinion, a little experience on the oline isn't a bad idea. I'm not certain Faneca is the answer, though.

Won't there be a decent LT on the market?

FAX

Tribal Warfare
12-21-2007, 01:57 AM
I'll state the obivous the O-line needs to get patched ASAP, so KC's RBs and QBs won't be killed. If it means signing FAs then do it the O-line is nothing to F*CK with or ignore.

RustShack
12-21-2007, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but I think he is just giong to cost way to much. If we could get him relativly cheap, then develop a rookie behind him, I would be ok with it. Two great guarts would help our C and Tackles tremendously.

Smed1065
12-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Yes, he is...we suck and don't need to get older.

So the first QB we try to develop also has to be great enough to over come 30 year old players or older, all of them? Wonder why we never try to get a new QB that is successful?

LOL

I agree he is too costly at this point but that ideology also supports why we need a veteran every time.

Guess Chadd is good because of age?

LOL

Tribal Warfare
12-21-2007, 02:06 AM
So the first QB we try to devlop also has to be great enough to over come 30 year old players or older, all of them? Wonder why we never try to get a new QB that is successful?

With the O-line KC may have to resort to it due to the needed time to develop Croyle.

Chiefs_5627
12-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Only thing i wonder about with Faneca is the effects of his epilepsy as he gets older. 30 isnt too shabby but he'll get max $$ anyway so i highly doubt we'll even try for him.

Smed1065
12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
With the O-line KC may have to resort to it due to the needed time to develop Croyle.

I think the same but everyone here seems to think age is all that matters because of our recent experience.

I do not think we need a old age OL with TOP money being paid at the same time this year?

Hopefully next year, if we are lucky. IMHO. We might ned to pay top money but this year?

Even to protect the QBOTF. This year IMO.

Why patch a 7-9 team at best with a top paid line-man while rebuilding?

Croyle has survived with worst this year and in 3 years in college.

ChiefFan31
12-21-2007, 02:27 AM
My understanding in our current situation is that Brodie Croyle and the offense needs to develop. You cant have a team develop with no veterans what-so-ever.

Well, what we need to do is improve our O-Line through the draft, so we build for the future and develop the young talent that actually gives us a 3-4 year window of opportunity to make a legitimate run at the Super Bowl, not this Carl Peterson endorsed plan to use band aid after band aid to be good, but not good enough every year.

But, your right. The ideal plan is to have a mixture of young guys With Talent on the OL mixed with a couple of solid veterans that provide leadership and experience. Obviously Faneca could do this for us. BUT, he is going to be a top notch (high priced) free agent. He also plays happens to play LG, which is where our best OL plays. Although I don't think Brian Waters can hold a candle to Faneca. I still don't think its a good fit for us right now. We are just not ready. I am all for going after a top notch LT if there was one. We could move McIntosh over to RT next year, and if we draft one of the two top Tackles (likely, IMO) in this years draft we could groom them for a season.

Mojo Rising
12-21-2007, 02:29 AM
I think the same but everyone here seems to think age is all that matters because of our recent experience.

I do not think we need a old age OL with TOP money being paid at the same time this year?

Hopefully next year, if we are lucky. IMHO. We might ned to pay top money but this year?

Even to protect the QBOTF. This year IMO.

Why patch a 7-9 team at best with a top paid line-man while rebuilding?

This wouldn't be a Ty Law type (plug a gaping whole with a veteran) type signing.

This would help develop the QB of the future.

If we don't develop Croyle then we need to draft a QB instead of a LT at # 4 in April.

We must also hire a real Offensive Coordinator. This is key.

If we plan on sticking with the same OC next year then the whole team needs to blown and start from scratch.

Smed1065
12-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Only thing i wonder about with Faneca is the effects of his epilepsy as he gets older. 30 isnt too shabby but he'll get max $$ anyway so i highly doubt we'll even try for him.

Epilepsy is usually worse when young and better from that point. I am the exception considering mine did not show until I was 28. One reason they could not figure out why I had it was because I was 28 when they diagnosed me with it. It took 4 years and trials to get it under control but that was in the 90's.

I was a guinea pig for 6 years and finally told them I had enough studies and being a research pig for the no answers after 6 years. I might be touchy on this subject but most people are controlled and show symptoms beforeage 10.

Some do not develop it until later in life, Like me. It did take 7 years but I have been controlled of Epilepsy for 10 plus years without them knowing the cause.

Some people do not believe in modern medicine buy if it was not for it. (even without knowing the trigger)
I would be very limited, so I appreciate the efforts even if modern Pharmaceuticals rape us.

They gave me my life back.

I lived for 10 years without being able to drive in the Midwest which is why I moved to the suburbs. I had no choice If I wanted to live a "normal" life due to not much or sucking public transportation.

I am glad to mention they got me straight without knowing the cause or reason. I am glad to know I have been seizure free for
10 years.

Sorry for the rant.......

Just my experience to maybe getting worse as he ages........

I am sure he has a lot better medical people than when I started treatment in the Army 15 years ago.

58-4ever
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
I think Faneca would be a great move. I think he has a good 5 years left. He is not one of the guys that would leave the weight room early. He would be an anchor on the line. He would bring toughness to the offense. Offensive line is a good investment. Larry Allen improved the 49ers offense instantly when he was older than Faneca. It would be a very solid move towards improving our offense. Games are won up front.

J Diddy
12-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Epilepsy is usually worse when young and better from that point. I am the exception considering mine did not show until I was 28. One reason they could not figure out why I had it was because I was 28 when they diagnosed me with it. It took 4 years and trials to get it under control but that was in the 90's.

I was a guinea pig for 6 years and finally told them I had enough studies and being a research pig for the no answers after 6 years. I might be touchy on this subject but most people are controlled and show symptoms beforeage 10.

Some do not develop it until later in life, Like me. It did take 7 years but I have been controlled of Epilepsy for 10 plus years without them knowing the cause.

Some people do not believe in modern medicine buy if it was not for it. (even without knowing the trigger)
I would be very limited, so I appreciate the efforts even if modern Pharmaceuticals rape us.

I lived for 10 years without being able to drive in the Midwest which is why I moved to the suburbs. I had no choice If I wanted to live a "normal" life due to not much or sucking public transportation.

I am glad to mention they got me straight without knowing the cause or reason. I am glad to know I have been seizure free for
10 years.

I am sure he has a lot better medical people than when I started treatment in the Army 15 years ago.

i too have epilepsy, glad to hear you're doing good with it

I have had one in the last 5 years

RedThat
12-21-2007, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't mind this move at all. BUT, it won't happen. Too much money for one. And were gonna need that money to sign JA long term.

Tribal Warfare
12-21-2007, 02:54 AM

I don't like to chance that, the O-line is the most important squad on the field, and without protection it will be very much SSDS.

RedThat
12-21-2007, 03:02 AM
I don't like to chance that, the O-line is the most important squad on the field, and without protection it will be very much SSDS.

Most important is to get a tackle. Once that problem is solved, thats half the battle right there.

I don't mind a guard, but Im more concerned about a DT. We can't stop the run and that is a problem. If we can score a guard for cheap and get a bargain there, and manage to score a DT, and LT that would be good. Just thinking team balance. We really don't need a Faneca if you think about it? I like for us to get a guy like Jake Scott if it gives us room to help us in other aspects our team then that would be great.

Tribal Warfare
12-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Most important is to get a tackle. Once that problem is solved, thats half the battle right there.

I don't mind a guard, but Im more concerned about a DT. We can't stop the run and that is a problem. If we can score a guard for cheap and get a bargain there, and manage to score a DT, and LT that would be good. Just thinking team balance. We really don't need a Faneca if you think about it? I like for us to get a guy like Jake Scott if it gives us room to help us in other aspects our team then that would be great.

If Oher or Ellis are available at the 5-7 pick just depending one will be solved. If Oher isn't available or declares, I'd say stick with McIntosh and fix the right side of the line, since this years draft is real deep with solid OL I'd wait till the 2nd round for the BPA which will be an OT.

Chiefs_5627
12-21-2007, 03:12 AM

10 years.

I know very little about it, appreciate the info. Glad to hear that you seem to be doing ok with it.

RedThat
12-21-2007, 03:17 AM
If Oher or Ellis are available at the 5-7 pick just depending one will be solved. If Oher isn't available of declares, I'd say stick with McIntosh and fix the right side of the line, since this years draft is real deep with solid OL in this year's draft I'd wait till the 2nd round for the BPA which will be an OT.

If Ellis is there at 7, I say they go for him. Im really concerned about our DT's.

Honestly, I think McIntosh is decent, not great but he's ok. I think they could find a RT in round 2. And I agree with you, that is what they should do.

Smed1065
12-21-2007, 03:30 AM
I know very little about it, appreciate the info. Glad to hear that you seem to be doing ok with it.

So I am I! and better than good.

I was as shocked when diagnosed because "I was too old" for it. I am not afraid of that aspect but afraid of the money because we (bite my tongue, yes you have to laugh) I do! Have to, its life dang it!

LOL

Are not winning it next year and his age is a bigger concern but had to make a point about their concern with my experience and knowledge versus perceived ideas or notions.

I am not bitching. I was the same before I had to learn about it......

Still would be I imagine!

philfree
12-21-2007, 08:11 AM
No way the Steelers are going to pay Faneca market price, so he's going to be available. We need to plug some guys in who can play now, and then try to get some young guys in the draft. The question is, is 30 old for a G in the NFL?

DT

Please don't suggest that we try and fix our O line in one off season or you'll get chastized for it. That doesn't fit the rebuilding frame of mind where we have to go 4-12 for three years in a row. LOL Faneca would be a great pick up as well as several other O linemen who will be free agents this year. I say fix our line in free agnecy and then draft the best players available in the draft.

Peace On Earth And Mercy Mild

PhilFree:arrow: