PDA

View Full Version : Marty To The Falcons?

FAX
12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
610 has a football expert from San Diego on the line who is saying that Marty is the Falcons' next choice after being turned down by Da Chin and Parcells.

I report, you decide.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post. Very, very sorry.

Direckshun
12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Atlanta would be very wise to invest in some Schottentherapy.

FAX
12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
How old is Marty, now?

Anybody have him on your birthday card list?

FAX

FAX
12-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Funny/Sad/Agonizing. The guy was just asked who has the better coach - the Chiefs or the Chargers.

He selected the Chargers.

FAX

Stewie
12-21-2007, 02:37 PM
How old is Marty, now?

Anybody have him on your birthday card list?

FAX

Born September 23, 1943

FAX
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Born September 23, 1943

Hmmmm. He's getting up there. I wonder if he has the juice to bring another team up from the depths.

FAX

Direckshun
12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
"Juice" runs in his veins.

He's elevated three joke franchises to the height of the AFC. You don't get that on mere passing interest in the game of football.

The Rick
12-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep, I think Marty would be good for the Falcons. That is all.

Bump
12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
you gotta like the Falcons owner, at least he tries to bring in the right people

HemiEd
12-21-2007, 02:57 PM

He's elevated three joke franchises to the height of the AFC. You don't get that on mere passing interest in the game of football.

I wish we would make changes in time to get him back.

jAZ
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Bring Back Marty?

smittysbar
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmmm. He's getting up there. I wonder if he has the juice to bring another team up from the depths.

FAX

Plenty of juice, you forget he is friends with Merriman

BucEyedPea
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Whatever. It won't fix what's broke in Atlanta.
I'm really glad Parcells turned Atlanta down.

Rooster
12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Marty has the Gleam. He will make Atlanta a contender before Herm makes KC one. :banghead:

HemiEd
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Marty has the Gleam. He will make Atlanta a contender before Herm makes KC one. :banghead:

History would indicate that is true.

Stewie
12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I had a friend go to Canton on a visit in the 90s. There was a small IMAX-type room that showed a Marty pregame speech to the Chiefs. He said it was so inspirational that he wanted to go kick someone's ass.

FAX
12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I had a friend go to Canton on a visit in the 90s. There was a small IMAX-type room that showed a Marty pregame speech to the Chiefs. He said it was so inspirational that he wanted to go kick someone's ass.

ROFL

FAX

Sure-Oz
12-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Probably should've never fired him

MahiMike
12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Atlanta would be very wise to invest in some Schottentherapy.

Schottenfreude

Simplex3
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Before this season I would have said hell no to Marty. If Clark made me the GM tomorrow I'd hire Marty in a heartbeat to a three year deal, full expecting to replace him with someone else at the three year mark.

Mr. Laz
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
perfect ...... marty would be great to lift a team out of the cellar.

The Falcons just have to make sure after 5/6 years they move on.

Skip Towne
12-21-2007, 06:26 PM
I hope they hire him and let him pick his own players. He's always had some interferring dipshit like Carl or AJ dicking with him.

dtebbe
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
If he gets hired I may have to renew my Falcons tickets. After this year I should be up for a buy one get one free deal (like that would ever happen)

DT

Brock
12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, after seeing what a dipshit Herman Edwards is firsthand, I'd take Marty back in a heartbeat.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately, after seeing what a dipshit Herman Edwards is firsthand, I'd take Marty back in a heartbeat.

Marty would never come back to K.C. he burn't too many bridges. Wasn't he banging some waitress and got her prego?

Chiefnj2
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Marty is great at rebuilding. If he's hired, it'll be interesting to see who he hires as his coordinators. He generally surrounds himself with good coaches.

Brock
12-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Marty would never come back to K.C. he burn't too many bridges. Wasn't he banging some waitress and got her prego?

I don't care. I'll bring him back at gunpoint if necessary.

Chiefnj2
12-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Marty's too much of a threat to Peterson at this point. Carl would never bring him back.

Brock
12-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Marty's too much of a threat to Peterson at this point. Carl would never bring him back.

Ha. Herman Edwards is the biggest threat Carl Peterson has ever faced.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't care. I'll bring him back at gunpoint if necessary.

I agree that I would take him back but I think there are other issues that would prevent him from doing so. I'm just saying there was more to the story the first time he left?

Logical
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Sad but true, how low we have sunk.:banghead:

Baby Lee
12-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh Come ON!!! First it was putting him with that asshat owner of the Redskins, then it was putting him with a division rival in SD, now I'm gonna have to take an interest in the effing Falcons????

Chiefnj2
12-21-2007, 08:19 PM
2 more games and we will be longing for Gunther as head coach.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
2 more games and we will be longing for Gunther as head coach.

Gunther may have the fire but he doesnt have the brains.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
that wont happen with me. I want him shitcanned.
I have to disagree... I think the defense is fine with Gunther and could improve. I just don't think he is Head Coach material.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 08:39 PM

Agreed. The nostalgia would be fun as hell. Plus, a whole new slew of corny locker room speeches! THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN!

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I have to disagree... I think the defense is fine with Gunther and could improve. I just don't think he is Head Coach material.

The defense sucks. Gunther has failed.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
The defense sucks. Gunther has failed.
How? The defense has improved! They " cannot win the game" without an offense. How about thinking balance?

Buck
12-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Please Marty I hope that you don't take the Falcons job. Though you are remembered for being a coach who couldn't do it in the playoffs, I would guess that you brought a lot of joy to the fans of your teams.

Hell, Marty's tenure in SD is the best I've ever been through.

I cant imagine that most of you wouldn't say the same as far as coaching tenures are concerned in KC.

Hell, he even had Cleveland as a contender for a while. Though the Browns fans were crushed mentally after losing the AFC Championship twice to the Donkeys, I am willing to bet it was the last time they were consistently happy.

That being said, do you really want to have your last job be this job? Perhaps the worst head coaching job in the NFL (other than the Raiders of course)?

Please Marty, save your image. You were a great coach, why diminish it now?

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
How? The defense has improved! They " cannot win the game" without an offense. How about thinking balance?

Read this.

http://kan.scout.com/2/710258.html

Gunther is a fraud. He's no better than average as a defensive coach, and he's a horrible talent evaluator.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Read this.

http://kan.scout.com/2/710258.html

Gunther is a fraud. He's no better than average as a defensive coach, and he's a horrible talent evaluator.

Gunther does not have a say in the players he has. Why are we throwing him under the bus? All I'm saying is if Gunther ran the defense in the formation he want's... I think he could get it done. Delegation by the Head Coach and balance is what wins.

kcxiv
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
GROB DC
2000 22.1 ppg
2001 21.5
2002 24.9
2003 20.8
4 yr avg = 22.33 ppg

Gunther DC
2004 27.2 ppg
2005 24.9
2006 19.7
2007 21.2
4 yr avg = 23.25 ppg

ROFL
and we are averaging what on offense? Grob years had help and they still sucked. Gun has 0 help. O putting them in horrible position. The turn overs. How many 3 and outs have the Chiefs had this year? Probably lead the league in 3 and out.

There is a huge difference in Defense's. People just wanna look at the averages but they dont factor in the other side of the ball. IF we had 2003 Chiefs offense with the 2007 defense. The Chiefs would be at least 10-4 right now.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
holy crap! did you even read that article?
Gun wanted and got:
K Bell
Surtain
Sammy Knight
Kawika Mitchell
Nap Harris
Warfield
Junior Siavii
Freeman
Fox
Maxey
Boomer

And who said Gunther got the player's HE WANTED? Was it him or Herm and Carl?

kcxiv
12-21-2007, 09:22 PM
He put players on a paper and they got him the cheapest ones. lol

The Chiefs Defense right now is just dead tired. They have no more fight in them. Once they figured out that the Offense is going to give them NOTHING they lost their will. Once you take that its over. Will on both offense and defense is gone. Thats on Herm.

Buck
12-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I got a good ****ing idea, serial.

Chargers Fire Norv and bring back Marty
They also bring back the recently departed Cam Cameron
Then they fire Ted Cottrells sorry ass, and promote Ron Rivera to DC.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 09:34 PM
He put players on a paper and they got him the cheapest ones. lol

The Chiefs Defense right now is just dead tired. They have no more fight in them. Once they figured out that the Offense is going to give them NOTHING they lost their will. Once you take that its over. Will on both offense and defense is gone. Thats on Herm.

So why throw Gunther under the bus? He was thought to be Head Coach material but didnt cut it. That's the worst knock on the guy? I remember how happy people were when he came back and so was I... How times change!

Skip Towne
12-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Please Marty I hope that you don't take the Falcons job. Though you are remembered for being a coach who couldn't do it in the playoffs, I would guess that you brought a lot of joy to the fans of your teams.

Hell, Marty's tenure in SD is the best I've ever been through.

I cant imagine that most of you wouldn't say the same as far as coaching tenures are concerned in KC.

Hell, he even had Cleveland as a contender for a while. Though the Browns fans were crushed mentally after losing the AFC Championship twice to the Donkeys, I am willing to bet it was the last time they were consistently happy.

That being said, do you really want to have your last job be this job? Perhaps the worst head coaching job in the NFL (other than the Raiders of course)?

Please Marty, save your image. You were a great coach, why diminish it now?
You're right, Marty won more regular season games than any coach in Chiefs history. Including Stram. But no, he doesn't need to "save his image" as he will do for the Falcons what he has done for every single franchise he has worked for. Smarten up junior.

Buck
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
You're right, Marty won more regular season games than any coach in Chiefs history. Including Stram. But no, he doesn't need to "save his image" as he will do for the Falcons what he has done for every single franchise he has worked for. Smarten up junior.

I dont think he has enough time to fix the Falcons. They are in a shambles and I cant imagine him coaching more than 2-3 more years.

Chiefnj2
12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Gunther does not have a say in the players he has. .

That is complete and utter crap. Vermeil gave Gunther 100% control of the D and Peterson got him all the players he wanted.

a1na2
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
and we are averaging what on offense? Grob years had help and they still sucked. Gun has 0 help. O putting them in horrible position. The turn overs. How many 3 and outs have the Chiefs had this year? Probably lead the league in 3 and out.

There is a huge difference in Defense's. People just wanna look at the averages but they dont factor in the other side of the ball. IF we had 2003 Chiefs offense with the 2007 defense. The Chiefs would be at least 10-4 right now.

I wouldn't doubt that we lead the league in that category and I would say that we have had more 3 and outs than we have drives with more than 3 plays.

the Talking Can
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Marty is exactly what the Falcons need.

And yes, they now have a much better coach than we do.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
That is complete and utter crap. Vermeil gave Gunther 100% control of the D and Peterson got him all the players he wanted.

WTF! he toke over for Robinson... get your sh!t straight.

the Talking Can
12-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Gunther is a clown.

A serious franchise would can his ass after for years of mediocrity.

But we ain't serious.

Chiefnj2
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
WTF! he toke over for Robinson... get your sh!t straight.

Look it up asshat. Gunther had his dream list of players and Peterson got them all for him - Bell, Hall, Surtain and Knight.

Skip Towne
12-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I dont think he has enough time to fix the Falcons. They are in a shambles and I cant imagine him coaching more than 2-3 more years.
Then you don't know much about Marty. He was an undersized lb for several seasons in the NFL. He is GUTS incorporated. He could go another 10 years if he is left alone. You know, free from Modell, Carl, Snyder and AJ. We don't know yet how great Marty could be. Just leave him to do his thing and let's find out.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Gunther does not have a say in the players he has. .

You couldn't be more wrong.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Look it up asshat. Gunther had his dream list of players and Peterson got them all for him - Bell, Hall, Surtain and Knight.Asshat how fuggn original... THE DEFENSE HAS IMPROVED! Where is the Offense? Balance... need I say more?

BigChiefFan
12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Marty is a good coach, but I wouldn't want him as a GM.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 10:24 PM
THE DEFENSE HAS IMPROVED!

Not really.

BigChiefFan
12-21-2007, 10:27 PM
The team is crap at every facet of the game. That's on the coach and GM. If Herm and Carl keep their jobs, it's because of our tight ass ownership.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Not really.
That was weak... I'm sure you could pull up stats before the Team tanked because of the crappy offense.

Look i'm not trying to rub you guy's wrong way but Gunther IMO is not the problem.

BigRock
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Look it up asshat. Gunther had his dream list of players and Peterson got them all for him - Bell, Hall, Surtain and Knight.
That's totally misleading. Surtain, Bell, and Knight were on Gunther's "wishlist", but not at the top of it. The DBs he wanted were Samari Rolle and Fred Smoot. The LBs he wanted were Trotter and someone else, I forget who. The Chiefs brought most of them in the minute free agency started and Carl didn't sign a single one of them.

Then they signed Bell as a desperation move after whiffing on all the others. The Star printed a column from Whitlock the morning Bell signed that basically said Carl had blown it with the other FAs and that Bell wasn't happy with his offer either. The team upped their offer that day because they wanted to get somebody. With all the buzz about visiting free agents and nobody signing, people were starting to get pissed.

Gunther got guys on his list, but they were the second and third stringers. The backup options.

Discuss Thrower
12-21-2007, 10:59 PM
That's totally misleading. Surtain, Bell, and Knight were on Gunther's "wishlist", but not at the top of it. The DBs he wanted were Samari Rolle and Fred Smoot. The LBs he wanted were Trotter and someone else, I forget who. The Chiefs brought most of them in the minute free agency started and Carl didn't sign a single one of them.

Then they signed Bell as a desperation move after whiffing on all the others. The Star printed a column from Whitlock the morning Bell signed that basically said Carl had blown it with the other FAs and that Bell wasn't happy with his offer either. The team upped their offer that day because they wanted to get somebody. With all the buzz about visiting free agents and nobody signing, people were starting to get pissed.

Gunther got guys on his list, but they were the second and third stringers. The backup options.

Ed Hartwell.

KCJohnny
12-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Excellent post. Rep.

:thumb:

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Then they signed Bell as a desperation move after whiffing on all the others.

Gunther: "Kendrell Bell is everything you could ever want in a linebacker."

KCJohnny
Then you don't know much about Marty. He was an undersized lb for several seasons in the NFL. He is GUTS incorporated. He could go another 10 years if he is left alone. You know, free from Modell, Carl, Snyder and AJ. We don't know yet how great Marty could be. Just leave him to do his thing and let's find out.

Skip's right. The guy wins everywhere he goes. He builds methodically, with a rock-solid foundation and his teams may choke, but they never fold. He turned around 4 teams going nowhere: Cleveland, KC, Washington and SD. It is what it is.

Hammock Parties
That was weak... I'm sure you could pull up stats before the Team tanked because of the crappy offense.

Look i'm not trying to rub you guy's wrong way but Gunther IMO is not the problem.

He's not the solution either. That's the whole ****ing problem.

KCJohnny
12-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Gunther: "Kendrell Bell is everything you could ever want in a linebacker."

What is he supposed to say to the media? "Our new OLB is a glorified STs player."?

My recollection is what BigRock said: Gun wanted Trotter - and so did most of the NFL. I remember Gun wanting Smoot as well.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 11:09 PM
What is he supposed to say to the media? "Our new OLB is a glorified STs player."?

He said that several years AFTER it was apparent to anyone with half a brain that Bell was complete garbage.

My recollection is what BigRock said: Gun wanted Trotter - and so did most of the NFL. I remember Gun wanting Smoot as well.

Trotter also sucked. And so did Siavii, whom Gunther coveted.

Easy 6
12-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Great way to put it, i agree...he'll coach a Super Bowl team given more chances.

Buzz
12-21-2007, 11:12 PM
He's not the solution either. That's the whole ****ing problem.

He may not be the best but he is not the worst. I want some gawd dam balance! A complete football TEAM!

Not everyone is the complete piece of crap this forum makes them out to be IMHO!

Hammock Parties
12-21-2007, 11:17 PM
He may not be the best but he is not the worst

That is the story of our franchise. Gunther is the definition of mediocre.

KCJohnny
12-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Trotter also sucked .

ROFL

"A former Stephen F. Austin star, Trotter is one of just four linebackers in Eagles history to earn four or more Pro Bowl invitations. He joined Hall of Fame member Chuck Bednarik, Maxie Baughan and Bill Bergey in that select group.

In 131 games with the Eagles (1998-2001, 2004-2006) and Redskins (2002-2003), Trotter has 1,184 tackles, 12½ sacks and nine interceptions. He has notched 100 or more tackles in seven seasons, and 150-plus tackles five times, and had 202 stops in 1999.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3002968

Yeah, kid, you are a much better appraiser of NFL talent than Gunther Cunningham.

Next?

BigRock
12-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Ed Hartwell.
Good lord, how could I forget Hartwell and the 48 hour saga that wouldn't die.

Trotter also sucked. And so did Siavii, whom Gunther coveted.
Trotter did make the Pro Bowl that year. And Siavii is another who shouldn't be pinned on Gunther. You can find any amount of quotes where Gun plays the good soldier and praises Siavii and Bell and whoever else, but Siavii was another situation just like Sims. His D-line coach in college worked for Vermeil in St. Louis and Dick got a glowing recommendation on him.

The Star printed that pre-draft article this year where a former Chiefs assistant put it entirely on Vermeil, saying Dick ignored reports on Junior's character and toughness because he took the word of his ex-Rams buddy to the bank.

12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
don't know whether to rep you or neg rep you for that one. :)

Buzz
12-21-2007, 11:40 PM
That is the story of our franchise. Gunther is the definition of mediocre.

Ok, i'm going to leave it at that... After a few cock-tails and now some company I'm out. You gentleman have a good night!

Take care and Go Chiefs :thumb:

shyguyms
12-22-2007, 12:08 AM

who cares if he was banging the midget bag lady on the street?
he is the best we have ever had.
He can bang Herms old lady after Herm is run out of town if he wants hell Carl as some hoes running around maybe they can where Marty's glasses and he can shoot on them.
Bring MARTY BACK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigChiefFan
12-22-2007, 12:11 AM
What the **** did Marty ever bring the Chiefs? Great regular season record, big whoop. It's time for new blood and a big no to Marty coming to K.C. No wonder Carl is still employed the fans are still living in 1993.

blueballs
12-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Blank can give Marty wood
lots and losts of wood

Rasputin
12-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Good luck Marty.

Buck
12-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Not so fast.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jim_trotter/12/21/falcons.search/index.html

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2007, 01:23 AM

I'm with you. Marty NEVER had the opportunity to create his own meal. He always had to use Carl's ingredients. If he was allowed to shop for the groceries? Parcells level when it's done IMO. If I was Clark, I'd have already called him by now and whispered in his ear, "You're the only thing Carl ever did right here. Do you want to run this show?" If he's unable to get over the hump after 4 years, have the right guy in mind and seal the deal. That's a WORST case scenario. Dreamland though, never happening.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2007, 01:27 AM
What the **** did Marty ever bring the Chiefs? Great regular season record, big whoop. It's time for new blood and a big no to Marty coming to K.C. No wonder Carl is still employed the fans are still living in 1993.

Actually, I'm living in 2006. 14-2 is better than he did in 93. He's still a TOP quality coach in this league. One of the 3 best active coaches out there IMO. Let him run the show and coach? It could be something special as long as he can go at it.

cardken
12-22-2007, 04:39 AM
We've been discussing the ATL rebuilding project for a week now and the think tank has come up with Marty at HC, Trade 2nd and 4th picks for Donavon Mc Nabb and use draft pick for Mc Fadden out of Arkansas? Any thoughts?

Skip Towne
12-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I expect Marty to ask the Falcons for a deal similar to what Parcells got in Miami. I hope they give him the chance.

stonedstooge
12-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I always hated the way Blanke had his head up Michael Vicks ass like he was some kind of god or something. Even wheeling him in his wheelchair onto the field. What the hell was up with that. Maybe he liked doing the doggystyle with Vick. Course I'm sure he made Blank all kinds of money

blueballs
12-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Marty is old now
and can no longer relate to players
or have relations with their women folk

jidar
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
The defense the Chiefs put on the field this season is the best one we've seen since Marty was here and I can't even believe people can't see that. I think you've got to have a serious problem with blinders not to realize that.

MahiMike
12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
The defense the Chiefs put on the field this season is the best one we've seen since Marty was here and I can't even believe people can't see that. I think you've got to have a serious problem with blinders not to realize that.

Awesome! How's that working out?

Hammock Parties
12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, kid, you are a much better appraiser of NFL talent than Gunther Cunningham.

Next?

Sorry Johnny. We were lucky to avoid Trotter. He had one good year after we tried to sign him and is TOTALLY UNSUITED to the Cover 2. Furthermore, Gunther wanted to play the guy at outside linebacker, a mistake he still managed to force into the light of day with Kendrell Bell.

Gunther SUCKS.

jidar
12-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Awesome! How's that working out?

well truthfully not so hot. I mean, the bar was set pretty low...
But honestly the defense played pretty damned well most of the season they just ran out of gas and got nicked up.

Brock
12-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Considering the level of defense this team has played in the past 6 or so years, that is saying exactly nothing.