PDA

View Full Version : What was the turning point of the season?

Chiefspants
12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I think the point this season went horrible, was when Jeff Webb failed to get both feet in bounds against the Packers, then Herm Edwards took 10 years to snap the ball. Then after that point the Packers killed the chiefs, and well, everyone has killed the chiefs since then. Herm Edwards kinda stuck it too everyone after the chiefs last win saying. "Well we have four wins, some people figured we'd just have 4 wins at the end of this season, I guess they're changing their minds now"
In your opinion, what was the turning point of the season, or was the season just doomed from the start?

banyon
12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
naming Huard the starter after the preseason.

MichaelH
12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
It wasn't doomed from the start simply because they were an bad team in training camp and got no better. The head coach made a terrible decision on starting QB and it went from there.

kcfanXIII
12-23-2007, 12:14 PM

end of thread

KCFalcon59
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
It all actually started when CP hired Herm instead of searching for the best possible coaching candidate. Now it stinks so bad we need a complete housecleaning from the top down.

Chiefspants
12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
But...But...Herm was the only proven coach, its not smart to go with a young guy without experience..blah, as soon as carls out of here, the better

BigChiefFan
12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
The day Carl endorsed Herm edwards.

Otter
12-23-2007, 12:34 PM
When a loser hired a proven loser

Were getting our ass kicked by the Lions BTW

88TG88
12-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I think it was when LJ went down. Sure we might have been losers but at least we had confidence. When he got injured we mailed it in.

Direckshun
12-23-2007, 12:43 PM
I have to say it was the Packers game, too.

We were 4-3, then we lost LJ, Favre pulled another miracle out of his ass, and simply broke our back.

cdcox
12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
When we hired Herm.

TN_Chief
12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
The turning point of this season was when Herm was hired 2 years ago.

StcChief
12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Packer game when LJ went down, and we didn't step up and win.

oh and not Starting Croyle for the Packer game

siberian khatru
12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
When Croyle got hurt vs. Detroit and Huard rallied us to 2 wins, costing us 6 spots in the draft.

alanm
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Opening kickoff Saturday Aug 11th. :(

Bugeater
12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
When they suited up for the Texans game.

pikesome
12-23-2007, 01:29 PM

TEX
12-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Losing to the Packers at home. The Chiefs played tough, took the lead and lost it, and the game, in the last 4 minutes. Game and season OVER!

Ari ümlaüt
12-23-2007, 01:47 PM
when they fired Marty.

KCJohnny
12-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Losing to the Packers at home. The Chiefs played tough, took the lead and lost it, and the game, in the last 4 minutes. Game and season OVER!

I have to agree, the GB game was the turning point. We were beating a very good team into the last minutes. After that, we started hearing all the excuses about how this offense wasn't very good, so we weren't using all the plays we could, blah blah blah....

I will also concede that this was possibly the worst run training camp/preseason I have ever heard of. Lethargic, blase' pre season resulted in lethargic opening month and slooooooow start.

LJ's hold out was a cancer. But the 2007 season will go down in history as the worst OL in decades. Chiefs lead the NFL in 3-and-outs, an ignominious stat that no one wants.

KCJohnny
12-23-2007, 03:33 PM
when they fired Marty.

Marty resigned. He was not fired.

12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
When we hired Herm.

Dave Lane
12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Herm still being the coach... :harumph:

Dave

ROYC75
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I wanna say when they let HBO into TC, but it all started with Herm Edwards hire last year.

POND_OF_RED
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
When HBO hardknocks decided to make our training camp a screenplay and gave the "lifetime backup" his shot. That's when we all knew this season was going to be a joke....

CupidStunt
12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I'll happily throw the curveball: When we failed to add talent.

We're a team with very few studs, very little depth and plenty of shit spread across the roster.

Valiant
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I think the point this season went horrible, was when Jeff Webb failed to get both feet in bounds against the Packers, then Herm Edwards took 10 years to snap the ball. Then after that point the Packers killed the chiefs, and well, everyone has killed the chiefs since then. Herm Edwards kinda stuck it too everyone after the chiefs last win saying. "Well we have four wins, some people figured we'd just have 4 wins at the end of this season, I guess they're changing their minds now"
In your opinion, what was the turning point of the season, or was the season just doomed from the start?

One of the preseason games with naming Huard, and the awful play calling by the coordinator..

Coogs
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Opening kickoff Saturday Aug 11th. :(

Yep!

Mecca
12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
With this season? When they stopped playing over their heads and winning games with smoke and mirrors...

It also didn't help that the Packers exposed the Chiefs defenses weakness in the pass game then in subsequent weeks other teams did it to the run defense so the defense couldn't carry the team anymore.

WestCoastReggie
12-23-2007, 05:08 PM
December of 1988

Mama Hip Rockets
12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah definitely the packers game.

Rain Man
12-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I would go with the Colts game. That was when it became patently obvious that Herm Edwards had no confidence in his own team, and that killed the team's morale. From that point on, the players knew that the coaching staff would not let them use or even test their talents, and they started mailing it in.

As a coach, you can't send players the message that you don't think they're good enough, and that is the centerpiece of Herm Edwards' coaching philosophy.

Skip Towne
12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I would go with the Colts game. That was when it became patently obvious that Herm Edwards had no confidence in his own team, and that killed the team's morale. From that point on, the players knew that the coaching staff would not let them use or even test their talents, and they started mailing it in.

As a coach, you can't send players the message that you don't think they're good enough, and that is the centerpiece of Herm Edwards' coaching philosophy.
Kudos to you for detecting a coaching philosophy. I thought he just ran willy-nilly.

Rain Man
12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Kudos to you for detecting a coaching philosophy. I thought he just ran willy-nilly.

Well, "philosophy" may be too strong a word. More like "tendancies imbedded in his spinal cord".

Hey, you passed me in post count.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
There was no turning point. We were lucky to get 4 wins early.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey, you passed me in post count.Damn post whores...
:)

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
when Huard was named the starter

that meant two important things:

1. we weren't rebuilding
2. we wouldn't find out enough about Croyle this year to make a confident decision on his future

(3. Herm has no balls)

#2 is really going to haunt as we approach the draft...

Tits McGee
12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
The turning point of this season was when Herm was hired 2 years ago.

Yeah, the wheels come off the wagon before it even got started.
This team has no direction, identity or philosophy when they walk onto the field. They shoot themselves in the foot every week with dumb penalties, forced turnovers and unimaginative play calling.

TN_Chief
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
IMO the worst thing is that they're really not even fun to watch anymore. I know a loss is a loss...and a lot of people like to say that Vermeil and Edwards have essentially gotten the same results. But at least watching the Vermiel/Saunders Chiefs was fun. You can't say that about Herm's team.

gblowfish
12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Taking that week off in the middle of the season. Next year...NO DAYS OFF!

Eleazar
12-23-2007, 06:12 PM
When Huard was named the starter. It showed that the coaching staff and/or the front office had no clue as to how good the team was, and thought we could sneak into the playoffs with the merry band of schmucks they'd assembled. It was an explosive display of incompetence as vast as the universe itself that they thought this team could compete.

It was over before it began, many of us recognized that the team would be bad even before the season. It turned out even worse than we expected.

I think I was predicting 6-10, but heck, every 6 win team in the league would beat us. Miami might beat us.

gblowfish
12-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Miami DID beat us this year in Pre season at Arrowhead.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
when Huard was named the starter

that meant two important things:

1. we weren't rebuilding
2. we wouldn't find out enough about Croyle this year to make a confident decision on his future

(3. Herm has no balls)

#2 is really going to haunt as we approach the draft...Turns out we were right on the money about this...

Rain Man
12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Seriously, remember the anonymous quote from the locker room after Herm raised the white flag at Indianapolis? Where the player said, "Is this what we've become? We aren't even going to try to win?"

THAT, my friends, is when the players quit working for this coaching staff.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 06:25 PM
When Huard was named the starter. It showed that the coaching staff and/or the front office had no clue as to how good the team was, and thought we could sneak into the playoffs with the merry band of schmucks they'd assembled. It was an explosive display of incompetence as vast as the universe itself that they thought this team could compete.

It was over before it began, many of us recognized that the team would be bad even before the season. It turned out even worse than we expected.

I think I was predicting 6-10, but heck, every 6 win team in the league would beat us. Miami might beat us.Yup. I was thinking 6-10 or 7-9.

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
When Huard was named the starter. It showed that the coaching staff and/or the front office had no clue as to how good the team was, and thought we could sneak into the playoffs with the merry band of schmucks they'd assembled.

well put

Tits McGee
12-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Hard Knocks gave us a peek behind the curtain at Arrowhead, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like what I saw. A GM mugging for airtime, a coach who acts like a player, and bunch of guys entertaining themselves. Whatever happen to practice?

MichaelH
12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Hard Knocks gave us a peek behind the curtain at Arrowhead, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like what I saw. A GM mugging for airtime, a coach who acts like a player, and bunch of guys entertaining themselves. Whatever happen to practice?

I never saw Hard Knocks as I have no HBO. But several coworkers mentioned that the Chiefs had become too Hollywood-like. I disagreed as they have fewer egos than some teams. I guess their egos went far beyond their talent level this season.

TEX
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
IMO the worst thing is that they're really not even fun to watch anymore. I know a loss is a loss...and a lot of people like to say that Vermeil and Edwards have essentially gotten the same results. But at least watching the Vermiel/Saunders Chiefs was fun. You can't say that about Herm's team.

:clap:

Extra Point
12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
The turning point was the first kneel-down to close a first half.

Bearcat
12-23-2007, 07:09 PM
The Colts game... they had two chances to try to win the game and deferred both times.

It was a chance to win a game we shouldn't have won, give Croyle a win along with some important drives on the road, snap the two game losing streak out of the bye with the Raiders and Chargers coming up at home, and get back to .500 (again).

Not to overstate it, but had they beat Indy, we'd be 10-5 right now.

;) :p

Tits McGee
12-23-2007, 10:29 PM
The Colts game... they had two chances to try to win the game and deferred both times.

It was a chance to win a game we shouldn't have won, give Croyle a win along with some important drives on the road, snap the two game losing streak out of the bye with the Raiders and Chargers coming up at home, and get back to .500 (again).

Not to overstate it, but had they beat Indy, we'd be 10-5 right now.

;) :p

Back away from the crack pipe. Your 10-5 theory has a lot of woulda's, coulda's and shoulda's.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 10:33 PM
The stats even when the team was 4-3 said they should have been worse than that and maybe had 1 or 2 wins...that anomaly will only hold so long, the Chiefs became what the stats said they should be.

They're a bad team there's no way to spin it the 10-5 stuff is hilarious.

MadMax
12-23-2007, 10:34 PM
deviled eggs?

kcfanintitanhell
12-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Yup. I was thinking 6-10 or 7-9.

Here's to those of us who dare to dream...... :banghead:

KcMizzou
12-23-2007, 10:53 PM
We weren't exactly tearing it up when LJ was healthy, but we were 4-4.

Without him, we've gone 0-7. I don't think it was so much LJ, as the attention he draws from the opposition.

Chief Henry
12-24-2007, 07:24 AM

My thoughts exactly rainman. With 1:30 left on the clock before halftime and 2 timeouts in your bank - Herm goes into an offensive slumber (again). Herm was afraid to let his team PLAY. I recall seeing
Jarred Allen on TV putting his helmet on and saying something like
"what the ****". The TV camera showed Jarred mouthing those words,
or something very similar.

I spent this past weekend with a season ticket holder. She was very
upset with Peterson. Its the first time I've ever heard her bad mouth
King Carl. She didn't go to the Titans game either. In fact she didn't
even give them away to anyone, she just ate them.

Merry Christmas...

Chief Henry
12-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Seriously, remember the anonymous quote from the locker room after Herm raised the white flag at Indianapolis? Where the player said, "Is this what we've become? We aren't even going to try to win?"

THAT, my friends, is when the players quit working for this coaching staff.

Which player said that ? Kudo's to him.

jjjayb
12-24-2007, 07:33 AM
The turning point of the season happened before it even started. It was during preseason. The team looked absolutely horrid and we kept getting the "it's okaaay. It's just preseason. We're running a vanilla offense."