PDA

View Full Version : Time to draft a QB?

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Croyle throws ugly pick and then gets injured...season over.

Based on that, can we pass on a QB in the draft? Especially if it is Ryan?

probably not

Direckshun
12-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think you can pass on Ryan at all if you're in the top ten.

But the Falcons will probably have him wrapped up.

The question is -- do we draft Brohm or Woodson with a 6ish draft pick?

That's a tougher question to answer. Brohm has questions all over him and who the hell knows how Woodson will translate to the NFL.

Brock
12-23-2007, 12:57 PM
If you have a chance at a franchise QB you gotta take him.

Sure-Oz
12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Take the best player available

HolmeZz
Woodson translates fine. The only thing that could hinder him at the next level is the timing on his release. Otherwise he projects just as well as Ryan, who probably has higher upside, but has more questionable decision making.

Hammock Parties
Forget it. Not happening.

Brock
12-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Forget it. Not happening.

You know nothing.

BigChiefFan
12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
If this keeps up, we might be drafting no.2 overall. What a disgrace.

Molitoth
Doesn't matter who is at QB... we need a line.

Actually it does matter, just as long as it isn't Huard.

Direckshun
Woodson translates fine. The only thing that could hinder him at the next level is the timing on his release.
Could you explain this further, since we're watching a game of zero entertainment value?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
You know nothing.

I know for sure they aren't drafting a QB.

BigChiefFan
Croyle hasn't cemented himself as the starter so there is still a question mark. No way you pass on franchise QB if you get the opportunity. Carl won't pull the trigger, though, on price tag alone.

The Bad Guy
I'm warming up to the idea of taking a true QB. You can't rest your hat on a QB who gets hurt every other play. Going into next year with Croyle as the QB is completely stupid. If Dorsey and Long are off the board, take Matt Ryan.

CupidStunt
12-23-2007, 01:02 PM
BPA. Said it throughout, the Chiefs are in as bad a state as any team in the NFL. So if the BPA is a QB, LT, DT or CB, you take him regardless.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2007, 01:03 PM

You know shit.

You stupid ****ers at WPI can't write or spell check, but you know for a fact what's going to happen in the draft 4 months from now?

Get ****ed.

Brock
12-23-2007, 01:04 PM

No, you don't. What you know, is star wars, being fat, and being afraid of women.

The Bad Guy
BPA. Said it throughout, the Chiefs are in as bad a state as any team in the NFL. So if the BPA is a QB, LT, DT or CB, you take him regardless.

Agreed.

banyon

Wait, before you later try to weasel out of this later, please clarify.

Do you mean not in any round of the 2008 draft?

HolmeZz
Could you explain this further, since we're watching a game of zero entertainment value?

Thanks in advance.

He's got a slower release than you would like. He's not Byron Leftwich bad, but the game plays quicker at the next level and it's hard to evaluate how his release will effect his ability to complete passes. Personally I think his release is just quick enough for it not to be much of a factor.

To me, Ryan and Woodson interchangeable as far as being the top prospect goes. They've both got major positives(Ryan: clutch, big arm, accurate outside the pocket; Woodson: good decision making, big arm, accurate inside the pocket) and some negatives(Ryan: prone to making bad decisions, not as accurate in the pocket as you'd like; Woodson: slow release, not a ton of mobility in the pocket).

I have Brohm a clear third. He actually might be the safest of the 3 quarterbacks in terms of knowing what you're getting, but he's not as physically gifted and doesn't have the upside of the other two.

stonedstooge
12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
If Chase Daniels commits get him and one of his tight ends.

jlscorpio
12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
QB can wait this year. We need O-Line help to EVER WIN ANOTHER GAME. Also, a couple of CB's would be nice, too.

cdcox
12-23-2007, 01:10 PM

What makes you think he'll be the next Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys?

He may not even be as good as Croyles or Huards.

the Talking Can
If you have a chance at a franchise QB you gotta take him.

I agree, and I said so on a couple of occasions....I just really liked Croyle...

Brock

We already have 2 backup QBs.

BigMeatballDave
Doesn't matter who is at QB... we need a line.
This has been my mantra, but if he's gonna get injured trying to tackle, he may not be durable enough for this.

Hell, Green threw blocks for us and never got hurt.

FringeNC
12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Watch Huard throw up a few prayers, Gonzo snatch them, Chiefs win, and the Huard fluffers will be back claiming he should start next year behind a revamped offensive line. Just wait.

WilliamTheIrish
Blow the whole thing up and start again. This is just ridiculous.

Hammock Parties
You know shit.

You stupid ****ers at WPI can't write or spell check, but you know for a fact what's going to happen in the draft 4 months from now?

Get ****ed.

Calm your anger.

The Chiefs are not interested in a quarterback.

By the way, our spelling is impeccable.

JBucc
12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I would like us to take a QB at some point in the first three rounds. I R Bro-D fan but you can't trust him to stay healthy. And I don't want to bring in another old guy in FA.

Direckshun
12-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I think Brohm is a bust, period.

I think he played in a pass heavy offense that in no way resembles an NFL offense. I think he's going to take two seasons to be groomed properly and even then, he certainly doesn't have the physical gifts that a first rounder should have.

Every game I saw him play, Louisville lost. Now I know he can't do anything about a lousy defense, but there's something that goes off in my head when a QB can't get wins.

Brock
12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Calm your anger.

The Chiefs are not interested in a quarterback.

By the way, our spelling is impeccable.

This means they probably are.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I just cannot see Carl drafting a QB in the 1st.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 01:16 PM
WTF? Are they trying to ruin our draft position?

Direckshun
12-23-2007, 01:18 PM
If we do draft a QB in the first, we've got to draft lineman and WR to make his job easier.

Forget any defensive positions on a first day pick, those other two first day picks have to be OL and WR.

banyon
12-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Wait, before you later try to weasel out of this later, please clarify.

Do you mean not in any round of the 2008 draft?

That's what I thought.

baitism
12-23-2007, 01:21 PM
If we have a chance we should. I was a huge advocate to have Brodie start for just this reason. If he was going to be a bust in the NFL, I wanted us to know.

BigChiefFan
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
If we do draft a QB in the first, we've got to draft lineman and WR to make his job easier.

Forget any defensive positions on a first day pick, those other two first day picks have to be OL and WR.
We can't draft for need. You take the best players, regardless of position. Drafting for need has gotten us where we are.

banyon
12-23-2007, 01:26 PM
We can't draft for need. You take the best players, regardless of position. Drafting for need has gotten us where we are.

That's true to a large extent. But all you have to do is look across the sidelines today to see the other extreme of "Let's take a WR every year!".

Direckshun
12-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I understand not drafting for need, but it's possible to draft for need *and* BPA.

I doubt they literally have every player listed on a vertical list. What would be the difference between the #93 DE and the #94 FB?

Instead, I'm sure they have their prospects arranged in tiers.

When it's your turn, pick your choosing from the highest available tier, often in a position of need.

Herm lives and dies by BPA but what were his first three picks last year? Three players at positions of need.

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
If we have a chance we should. I was a huge advocate to have Brodie start for just this reason. If he was going to be a bust in the NFL, I wanted us to know.

i hear you, I was screaming for him to start so we wouldn't go into the draft wondering....and now we are going into the draft wondering (surprise!)...

Croyle has shown some flashes, and has a strong arm, but his last play was a pick and an injury....if the Chiefs honestly believe that QB X is a Franchise QB then they have to draft him....

and Croyle will still probably start next year...if he fails, we got the backup plan...if not we hold on the QB for leverage and trade him later, exactly like Cleveland is doing....

I really want Croyle to be the guy, but we're rebuilding and we can't play favorites with anyone....I want the Chiefs to what is BEST for the franchise, whether or not that includes Croyle (sorry, Mr. Fax...I share your man love)...

and regardless...PLEASE FIRE SOLARI

cdcox
12-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Herm lives and dies by BPA but what were his first three picks last year? Three players at positions of need.

So the top guy when our first three picks came up wasn't a TE or RB.

Deberg_1990
12-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I think the Chiefs need to draft a QB simply because Croyle is proving to be very fragile.

Direckshun
So the top guy when our first three picks came up wasn't a TE or RB.
Ha, well, yeah.

But WR and DT were arguably our two sorest needs.

CupidStunt
... it's possible to draft for need *and* BPA ... what were his first three picks last year? Three players at positions of need ...

Absolutely. The Chiefs are so awful, it's LIKELY, not possible.

As I said, draft the best QB, LT, DT, LB or CB with the top pick. With the second and third picks, potentially ignore the position picked first (i.e. QB or LB) and take the best available OL, WR, DT or DB (including safety). From there, go BPA regardless, trying to mix in another WR, OL, CB and possibly PR/KR and FB.

KC kid
12-23-2007, 01:39 PM

You're a moron

FringeNC
12-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Can this coaching staff possibly hope to develop a QB? I think not. Until this whole god damn organization is given an enema, what's the point?

kc1977
12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Going into next year with Croyle as the QB is completely stupid.

Smartest thing ever said on here.

cdcox
12-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Can this coaching staff possibly hope to develop a QB? I think not. Until this whole god damn organization is given an enema, what's the point?

I seriously think this is about the least QB friendly offense you could saddle a young QB with. Predictable short passes cram the field with defenders requiring perfect reads and accuracy. You also have to sustain drives of 15+ plays to score. Very little chance to throw to receivers breaking open and picking up quick easy scores to boost the confidence. That on top of a non-existant running game and porus offensive line.

Bob Dole
12-23-2007, 01:45 PM
3 starts and Croyle is a bust.

Maybe Herm is right about this team's fanbase.

TEX
12-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I seriously think this is about the least QB friendly offense you could saddle a young QB with. Predictable short passes cram the field with defenders requiring perfect reads and accuracy. You also have to sustain drives of 15+ plays to score. Very little chance to throw to receivers breaking open and picking up quick easy scores to boost the confidence. That on top of a non-existant running game and porus offensive line.

You're right - but I've said all along that Croyle is the type of QB that you'll still be waiting for him to do someting 5 years down the line.

KCChiefsFan88
12-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Croyle has been injured and had to leave the game twice now during his brief run as the starting QB. You can't have a starting QB who is that fragile and you have to hold your breath every time he goes back to pass.

The knock on Croyle coming out of college was he was injury-prone and he has done nothing to shed that label in the NFL.

CupidStunt
12-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Uh ... no.

But he's only as much an answer as Tank Tyler, Will Svitek and Benny Sapp. Would you not draft a DT, RT and CB because we have any of them?

The Bad Guy
12-23-2007, 01:53 PM

It's not about being a bust after 3 starts.

It's about getting hurt all the time.

What good is a player if he can't stay on the field?

KCChiefsFan88
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Croyle looks like the type of QB that is going to let every little bruise and pain sideline him. The word P-U-S-S-Y comes to mind.

FringeNC
12-23-2007, 01:56 PM

It's as if this coaching staff is so stupid that they don't realize you have to occasionally vertically stretch the field to open things up. The coaching staff is just a complete embarrassment.

PastorMikH
12-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Just got home. What happened? I notice Huard is playing and ESPN's tracker says Croyle threw a pick then Huard came in. They give up on Croyle or is he hurt?

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 01:59 PM

dude's been injured twice in 5 games....

I like the kid, but I don't think it is such a no-brainer that we pass on a top-QB (the assumption being that the Chiefs actually graded out a QB that high..if they don't think any of the QBs are special, then no, you wouldn't draft one)

Croyle gets injured again next year.....then what? Waste another season on Huard?

the Talking Can
Just got home. What happened? I notice Huard is playing and ESPN's tracker says Croyle threw a pick then Huard came in. They give up on Croyle or is he hurt?

carted off with an arm injury...

Demonpenz
I would love woodson

PastorMikH
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
carted off with an arm injury...

What happened?

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
What happened?

tackled a defender after throwing a pick

Deberg_1990
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM

I like the kid, but I don't think it is such a no-brainer that we pass on a top-QB (the assumption being that the Chiefs actually graded out a QB that high..if they don't think any of the QBs are special, then no, you wouldn't draft one)

Croyle gets injured again next year.....then what? Waste another season on Huard?

What he said.

pikesome
What happened?

Dove at the legs of the guy running a INT back for a TD. And he didn't stop him.

Demonpenz
croyle makes mike sweeney look like Cal Farve

Bugeater
12-23-2007, 02:04 PM
You could probably say that about any position, I haven't really seen anyone on this team improve since Herm got here. They're the same team today as they were when they took the field on opening day last year.

CupidStunt
12-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Hope the draft brings us a center AND guard. Wow.

Smed1065
12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I think the Chiefs need to draft a QB simply because Croyle is proving to be very fragile.

Idiot!

DenverChief
12-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Thigpen...there has to be a reason we got rid of a perfectly capable QB in Printers.....

ROYC75
12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Idiot!

I must be one too ? FTR, Croyle has proven to be injury prone so far. Just the facts, Jack !

Sign me up for a franchise QB if one is there. But as we know, the draft is a crap shoot anyways.

ROYC75
12-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Guys, Croyle does have the tools, he needs the playing time to learn the system and reading defenses.

His problem is staying healthy ...... that's all !

pikesome
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Guys, Croyle does have the tools, he needs the playing time to learn the system and reading defenses.

How many times has Huard gotten hurt this year?

Demonpenz
12-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Offseason there will be alot of changes

If we don't get a qb in the draft we better get mcnabb or pennington or both

ROYC75
12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
How many times has Huard gotten hurt this year?

OK Herm, we see, let's not get it twisted, it's the OL, we know.

We do have a lousy OL, but Croyle does get hurt as much Huard.

I'm not going to argue the point, I wanted Croyle to start the season and see how he does all year. He was slow learning in preseason and now showing the ability to be hurt alot . Is he a bust ? Absolutely Not By no means, should we sit on our tails and not take a franchise QB if he was there in the draft ? No way, take one and then fix the line.

Smed1065
12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I wish I could play behind this line as a starter..

[quoted no one ever]

I mean WTF?

Micjones
12-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Huard took a beating all season long.
Please stop with the endless comparisons.

Well...after mine.
;)

blueballs
12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Brodie's season is over -really
your and idiot

Mecca
12-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Croyle holds true to what he's always been..a talented guy that is made of glass.

I don't think they'll draft a QB, it is everything Carl isn't. Drafting a QB first speaks to true rebuilding...he wants someone that can play so he can sell the "look we're getting better we're contenders" mantra.

suds79
12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Can anybody seriously say it looks like Croyle is improving?

I'm not even asking form him to play great given the lack of an O-line. I'm just looking for signs of improvement and I'm not seeing it.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 03:42 PM

One of the questions about Croyle was if he could stay healthy....so far he hasn't played half a season and he's been injured twice...he's answering this question already.

Micjones
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Can anybody seriously say it looks like Croyle is improving?

I'm not even asking form him to play great given the lack of an O-line. I'm just looking for signs of improvement and I'm not seeing it.

I've been trying desperately to find that spark.
It's just not there. I saw glimpses for three quarters last week.

And late in the game he remembered he was Brodie Croyle...

2bikemike
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
One of the questions about Croyle was if he could stay healthy....so far he hasn't played half a season and he's been injured twice...he's answering this question already.

I wonder how many QB's could stay healthy behind the holes in front of this offense.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Um, there are other bad teams...with horrid lines. Peyton Manning got drafted by a horrid Colts team...he never missed time.

It's not like this is some shocking thing we didn't expect, Croyle has always been a glass guy that gets injured all the time.

blueballs
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
It's amazing how the line and Brodie =few sacks
throw in HUTARD and it's a sackfest for the D

Coogs
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
It's as if this coaching staff is so stupid that they don't realize you have to occasionally vertically stretch the field to open things up. The coaching staff is just a complete embarrassment.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking along those same lines. Then when Huard comes in, we immediately start throwing 15 to 20 yard passes down the field. :banghead:

DenverChief
12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I wish I could play behind this line as a starter..

[quoted no one ever]

I mean WTF?

QFT

CP Posters change their Fav QB option like girls change underware

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
It's not like this is some shocking thing we didn't expect, Croyle has always been a glass guy that gets injured all the time.

Yeah he got hurt all the time in college, considering he started every game as a sophomore and senior. :rolleyes:

Mecca
12-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Are you going to say that Brodie Croyle is not injury prone?

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Not like everybody is saying that you blow on him he gets hurt. He is pretty tough and the two injuries he had at Bama were not a sprained ankle or something similar. He blew out his knee and tore his shoulder, the two worst football injuries possible.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM
And he's started less than half a season and already missed a game and been hurt another time....he's not doing much to disprove his draft knock of not being able to stay on the field.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Today was kind of a freak injury.

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 04:25 PM
neither of Croyle's injuries had anything to do with his OL....both were him running beyond the line of scrimmage...

that's what concerns me....if it were just him getting hit because of poor line play, that would be understandable...

but some players just get injured more than others, for no rhyme or reason...Croyle has shown that possibility..

so, the question is: what is plan B?

do we waste yet another year on Huard when/if Croyle goes down?

Thigpen?

I don't know. But we can't pretend it isn't a legitimate issue.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Today was kind of a freak injury.

Both of them this year have been, a bruised kidney? WTF

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
neither of Croyle's injuries had anything to do with his OL....both were him running beyond the line of scrimmage...

that's what concerns me....if it were just him getting hit because of poor line play, that would be understandable...

but some players just get injured more than others, for no rhyme or reason...Croyle has shown that possibility..

so, the question is: what is plan B?

do we waste yet another year on Huard when/if Croyle goes down?

Thigpen?

I don't know. But we can't pretend it isn't a legitimate issue.

I say lets build the OL and DL first and worry about QB last. Just my 2 cents.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Both of them this year have been, a bruised kidney? WTF

The coaches really ought to tell him to stop putting himself at risk. As soon as he tried to tackle that guy with six defenders around him I was yelling for him to just give it up. It wasn't worth it. Especially not this year.

Rasputin
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM

So the QB can have a chance for success? No way...

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 04:35 PM

i don't know, I think QB is the most important position, and if we don't get it right then everything else is wasted...in the short term it might seem crazy to draft another QB, but it could be brilliant in the long term...or not lol...and it is easier to find quality OL in later rounds than quality QBs...

I can see legitimate arguments for either position drafting/ not drafting a QB....

for once I'm glad I'm not a GM, and I won't slam Herm/Carl either way, because it isn't clear to me that this year's class of QB's is truly Franchise Worthy...but being in a situation like Cleveland, with a young developing QB and a rd1 QB for plan B/trade bait ain't a bad thing either...

now i'm just babbling, i got nothing

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
for once I'm glad I'm not a GM, and I won't slam Herm/Carl either way, because it isn't clear to me that this year's class of QB's is truly Franchise Worthy...but being in a situation like Cleveland, with a young developing QB and a rd1 QB for plan B/trade bait ain't a bad thing either...

Well who did Cleveland take before selecting Quinn?

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 04:46 PM

true, good point

Mecca
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM

They used a 3rd round pick on Charlie Frye and claimed Anderson off waivers, they weren't contractually married to either guy and took Quinn..

It's not all that different than our spot. Anderson had some nice games last year and they still felt they needed another QB.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Personally I like Croyle alot, I think he has what it takes but regardless we need an OL to protect him or if he bombs and we take the future franchise QB I want him to be in one piece.

DaneMcCloud
12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Offseason there will be alot of changes

If we don't get a qb in the draft we better get mcnabb or pennington or both

I'd much rather see Sage Rosenfels than either of those guys

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
They used a 3rd round pick on Charlie Frye and claimed Anderson off waivers, they weren't contractually married to either guy and took Quinn..

It's not all that different than our spot. Anderson had some nice games last year and they still felt they needed another QB.

I think he means Thomas in the same draft.

DenverChief
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Personally I like Croyle alot, I think he has what it takes but regardless we need an OL to protect him or if he bombs and we take the future franchise QB I want him to be in one piece.

ding ding ding

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM

See my post below, but they spent their first round pick plus a ton of cash to make that OL good. That is what finally put Cleveland over the top.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I think he means Thomas in the same draft.

Well there isn't a tackle of his level in this draft....

Mecca
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
See my post below, but they spent their first round pick plus a ton of cash to make that OL good. That is what finally put Cleveland over the top.

Took them more than 1 year too.......rebuilding this line and this team is more than a 1 year process. We need to look at it that way.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Took them more than 1 year too.......rebuilding this line and this team is more than a 1 year process. We need to look at it that way.

The Chiefs will be a in a similar boat if you think of adding McIntosh this year and already having Waters in place. That is similar to what Cleveland had.

PriestMVP31
12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
this is exactly why the chiefs never develop quarterbacks. patience people! he threw a pick, wow! Peyton Manning threw what, 28 picks his first year?

suds79
12-23-2007, 06:44 PM
this is exactly why the chiefs never develop quarterbacks. patience people! he threw a pick, wow! Peyton Manning threw what, 28 picks his first year?

It's not the pick. It's the lack of signs of improvement.

And the Chiefs haven't developed a QB because Carl hasn't had the balls to draft one high or draft the right one late.... It has nothing to do with us.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2007, 06:50 PM

It's not about his picks.

It's about his inability to stay healthy in college and the pros so far.

Why is that so hard for the Croyle crowd to understand?

The Bad Guy
12-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Also, I think it's hilarious that some morons think the fans actually are the reason we've never developed a QB. If the fans had that kind of pull, Carl Peterson would have been gone about 8 years ago.

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2007, 06:51 PM
It's not about his picks.

It's about his inability to stay healthy in college and the pros so far.

Why is that so hard for the Croyle crowd to understand?I am beginning to get this.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Peyton Manning has never missed a game.....

Croyle has missed basically 2 in not even half a season of starting.

PriestMVP31
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
this is true. im not ready to give up after 1/2 a season though...

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Croyle is going to start next year, imo

The only question is whether or not we have Huard or a draft pick as his backup.

That will, obviously, tell us what the Franchise thinks about Croyle.

blueballs
12-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Peterson will get caught talking to Pennington next week
causing the Chiefs to lose this year's second rounder

12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
The coaches really ought to tell him to stop putting himself at risk. As soon as he tried to tackle that guy with six defenders around him I was yelling for him to just give it up. It wasn't worth it. Especially not this year.
Have to thank Trent for being such a great role model.

J Diddy
12-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Croyle is going to start next year, imo

The only question is whether or not we have Huard or a draft pick as his backup.

That will, obviously, tell us what the Franchise thinks about Croyle.

I sincerely doubt we draft a qb, we picked up thigpen off another teams ps which we were gonna draft in this first place. I don't think huards here next year and I think the starters gonna be thigpen and croyle

ILChief
12-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm OK with Croyle starting next year, but we had better fix this O-line and he needs to put on about 20 pounds of bulk.

J Diddy
12-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm OK with Croyle starting next year, but we had better fix this O-line and he needs to put on about 20 pounds of bulk.

yeah no shit, guy gets hurt everytime he gets in the game

Mecca
12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
In the end the Chiefs won't draft a QB, unless Carl is gone. Drafting a QB in the top 5 is everything against what Carl is about.

J Diddy
12-23-2007, 07:42 PM
In the end the Chiefs won't draft a QB, unless Carl is gone. Drafting a QB in the top 5 is everything against what Carl is about.

I would think offensive line but will probably draft a de to use on Jared allen as leverage

Mecca
12-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I would think offensive line but will probably draft a de to use on Jared allen as leverage

Problem is none of the guys are worth a top 5 pick, there's depth but no elite guy. The Chiefs could probably get a pretty comparable player with a top of the 2nd round pick at OT than using a top of the 1st round on one.

KevB
12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
If Carl is drafting, there's no way we take a QB in the first. Unless we trade down and someone falls in our laps in the middle of the first round. Top 10 QBs are too risky for Carl (and maybe me too frankly), and they cost more than other positions in the top 10. I have to think with what's available, the Chiefs go with a big guy on either line of scrimmage. We've got to get the trenches taken care of.

J Diddy
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Problem is none of the guys are worth a top 5 pick, there's depth but no elite guy. The Chiefs could probably get a pretty comparable player with a top of the 2nd round pick at OT than using a top of the 1st round on one.

maybe drop down a few spots and pick up some extra 5th round picks who will be bagging groceries next year

Mecca
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
If Carl is drafting, there's no way we take a QB in the first. Unless we trade down and someone falls in our laps in the middle of the first round. Top 10 QBs are too risky for Carl (and maybe me too frankly), and they cost more than other positions in the top 10. I have to think with what's available, the Chiefs go with a big guy on either line of scrimmage. We've got to get the trenches taken care of.

Not taking risks is how you get mediocre, you have to risk being awful to be great.

banyon
12-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Nailed it.

banyon
12-23-2007, 07:54 PM

While that's true, that may not stop us from reaching or trading down.

Ryan Sims wasn't graded as a top 6 pick by anyone else either.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM

It's what you have to expect, it's the Chiefs. Them being smart on draft day is like Warpaint Illustrated being right about something.

KevB
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Not taking risks is how you get mediocre, you have to risk being awful to be great.

Really? How risky have the Colts and Patriots been over the last eight years in the draft? The Cowboys? The Packers? The Jags? Building a football team has a lot more to do that hitting a HR in the first round.

KevB
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Going into the draft, Sims was the top rated DT by everyone, and a top 10 pick. Henderson had health issues, and Haynesworth was a character concern.

Mecca
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Really? How risky have the Colts and Patriots been over the last eight years in the draft? The Cowboys? The Packers? The Jags? Building a football team has a lot more to do that hitting a HR in the first round.

The Colts took a QB with the #1 overall pick when not that long prior to that they did the same thing and it didn't work out....

You don't generally get a franchise QB in the 6th round or undrafted FA, those are exceptions. The Packers traded a 1st round pick for Brett Favre who'd never played a game at that point...it was risky.

banyon
12-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Going into the draft, Sims was the top rated DT by everyone, and a top 10 pick. Henderson had health issues, and Haynesworth was a character concern.

Those were concerns, but I remember there being surprise at the pick and Vermeil justifying the trade up because his good buddy John Bunting at North Carolina assured him what a great player he was.