PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - Give Chiefs credit for not giving up

Hammock Parties
12-24-2007, 01:16 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/416407.html

DETROIT | If you picked up the newspaper hoping to read a column shredding the Chiefs for losing to the sorry Lions, you’re going to be disappointed.

The Chiefs may have lost the “shame game,” a battle pitting two franchises with a combined 13-game losing streak, but their effort in Detroit left them no reason to be ashamed.

To the contrary, in losing 25-20 to the Lions, Kansas City demonstrated an unexpected resolve and fire given the trying circumstances.

Delayed more than six hours at the Kansas City airport on Saturday by inclement weather, the Chiefs arrived in the Motor City way off schedule and with a built-in excuse for a poor Sunday performance.

By the end of the first quarter, the Chiefs trailed 9-0. Six minutes into the second quarter, not only had Detroit’s lead ballooned to 19-0, but the Chiefs lost starting quarterback Brodie Croyle to a hand injury when he tried in vain to prevent a pick-6 interception with a diving-rolling tackle attempt.

All signs were pointing to the Chiefs reaching a new low. All three phases of their game — offense, defense and special teams — misfired in the game’s first 20 minutes. Journeyman running back T.J. Duckett gashed KC’s run defense. The Lions blocked a Dustin Colquitt punt. And linebacker Paris Lenon raced 61 yards with a Croyle pass.

A team averaging 14 points per game couldn’t expect to score 20 in less than three quarters with an immobile backup quarterback playing behind the leakiest offensive line in football.

Somehow, the Chiefs did just that, rallying within a two-point conversion of tying the game early in the fourth quarter.

Actually it’s not some mystery. They bounced back because:

•Tony Gonzalez impersonated Kellen Winslow, catching pass after pass with defenders bracketing him. In one of his finest performances as a pro, Gonzalez grabbed 10 passes for 137 yards.

•Dwayne Bowe mimicked a young Otis Taylor, making awkward catches while sliding, in traffic and along the sideline. Bowe’s 34-yard TD reception in the fourth was his best catch of his promising rookie season. He outfought a defender for the ball and fell backward out of the end zone. It was an amazing grab.

•Kolby Smith gave Kansas City the threat of a running game and dipped out of the backfield as a receiver with much success, totaling 115 yards on 24 touches.

•Jared Allen put the finishing touches on his contract push, recording two sacks and hauling in his second TD grab of the season.

•And Damon Huard, again and again, climbed off the turf, shook off the stars dancing in his head and delivered the football to Gonzalez, Bowe and Smith.

“I told them they deserve to win a game, as hard as they play,” Herm Edwards responded when asked what his postgame message was to his team. “I told them I was proud to be their football coach.”

Yeah, that sounds cheesy when your team falls to 4-11, loses its eighth straight game and is on the verge of tying the franchise record for most consecutive losses. But the truth is the Chiefs showed a little bit of character on Sunday.

“No one quit,” Huard said.

They did more than that. They made a desperate attempt to win the game. And, for the most part, the right players led the charge. It was a mix of veteran leadership and young ascending players giving a tremendous effort late in the season when the outcome really didn’t matter.

Perhaps Huard’s effort was most impressive. He took a beating and refused to come out.

“I got hit in the (groin) on the play where I dumped the ball to Kolby,” Huard explained. “And it still hurts. I’m just glad I already have three kids and have been snipped.”

I was proud of the Chiefs. They had no reason to believe they could win on Sunday. They walked their Green Mile with an unbowed head, legs stiff as crowbars and eyes locked straight ahead. That’s as much as we can ask at this point.

Hammock Parties
12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
UPON ST. CRISPIN'S DAY

KcMizzou
12-24-2007, 01:23 AM
“I got hit in the (groin) on the play where I dumped the ball to Kolby,” Huard explained. “And it still hurts. I’m just glad I already have three kids and have been snipped.”
That's a great quote. LMAO

I agree with Whitlock... I can't bag on this team after that game.

They played hard, and key players played well. And they didn't screw up our draft position.

Direckshun
12-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Wow, Huard.

T. M. I.

smittysbar
12-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Herm must have been giving out BJ's.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Here comes someone to tell us the team plays better when Huard is in...

Sure-Oz
12-24-2007, 01:53 AM
THey did play hard and well and im glad they didn't **** it up by winning. They should've won but they had a hell of a hole down 19-0

Phobia
12-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Awesome. Moral victories are all that's left. Well.... at least they tried hard.

I should hope so. They were paid an average of $12,000 apiece to play today. I'm thinking I could try hard for 3 hours in exchange for $12k.

Boyceofsummer
12-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Why the **** was Drummond still playing on this team! **** HERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KcMizzou
12-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Why the **** was Drummond still playing on this team! **** HERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh hell, relax. We were 4-10 coming into the game. Making a change now means nothing... not to mention the fact that we don't have anyone better.

He'll be gone next season.

As for Phob's talk about moral victories... well, that's what you do when your team's lost 8 in a row. Look for bright spots. You hope that your good players, and young players... show that they have the heart and talent to make the team better going forward.

I honestly don't know why else you'd watch a team that was 4-10 going into a game, Phob.

Phobia
12-24-2007, 03:00 AM
I honestly don't know why else you'd watch a team that was 4-10 going into a game, Phob.
I watch because I thought it was a requirement of being a "real fan". I don't really like moral victories.

KcMizzou
12-24-2007, 03:04 AM
I watch because I thought it was a requirement of being a "real fan". I don't really like moral victories.Well, me either.

But I'm a Chief's fan... and that's about all we have going for us right now.

:)

TN_Chief
12-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Only losers "deserve" to win Herm. Winners actually go out and win the game.

****ing asshat.

Chief Henry
12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
The house that we were at had Direct TV, but not the NFL Ticket... I turned on the radio station 3 times to here the scores:

1st time...7-0 Lions
2nd time...19-14 Lions
3rd time...22-20 Lions

I'm glad the team didn't quit either.

Merry Christmas

the Talking Can
12-24-2007, 07:16 AM
I don't ever want to hear Huard talk about his ball sack again.

crazycoffey
12-24-2007, 07:24 AM
yeah, they played hard, yay, TG got over 1000 and DB made a nice catch in the endzone, but let's call a spade a spade;

I only watched this game, in my chief's gear too, so I could drink two 6 dollar pitchers of Bud......

jjjayb
12-24-2007, 07:37 AM
As someone who has dogged Huard all year, I have to give him credit where credit is due. He played great yesterday.

TEX
12-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Moral victories are for losers. We are, so...

Agent V
12-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Why should I congratulate a professional football team for NOT giving up? That's like praising a 12-year-old for not pooping on the kitchen table.

the Talking Can
12-24-2007, 08:06 AM
It's like Nick Athan getting a sticker for writing a sentence.

(he probably does get stickers...)

Dallas Chief
12-24-2007, 08:32 AM
UPON ST. CRISPIN'S DAY
Dude! You watched Tombstone last night too!!!

stevieray
12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
they might not have quit, but they damn sure didn't try very hard...Welblorne and Casey completely mailed it in at times...

and the duckett fifty yard run...? Pollard ran up from his position and took himself completlely out of the play...it was embarassing to watch.

Rasputin
12-24-2007, 08:37 AM
We suck!!!

Rasputin
12-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Oh, I get it now...

JW is sucking up for the GM job. That has to be it. This team got beat by the Lions, THE LIONS!!!

TN_Chief
12-24-2007, 08:58 AM
As someone who has dogged Huard all year, I have to give him credit where credit is due. He played great yesterday.Huard has always played well as a backup. He is a backup. That's his mentality, that's his ability. Damon Huard is a career backup.

It just takes ****tards like Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards to give him a starting job.