PDA

View Full Version : Trading our draft position

HIChief
12-25-2007, 03:21 PM
First of all, Merry Christmas All!

Just wondering out loud....if this draft is deep with O-Linemen would it benefit the Chiefs to trade their low draft pick, and move back to get an extra pick or a starting O-lineman from another team? I ask because in last night's Charger-Donk game the announcers were saying Shannahan's top priority for '08 was acquiring O-Linemen through free-agency and the draft too. So, if we're competing with them for Tackles and Guards, we've gotta gain every advantage we can. Would this strategy work?

I am one fan who believes a lot of the Offense's woes will be corrected not with a change at quarterback, but by fixing the line problems, and getting a different Offensive Coordinator. I wish Solari would step back into his original O-Line coaching position, and concentrate on what he's good at. It wasn't that long ago we had one of the most respected Offensive lines in the NFL, and he was the mastermind behind it.

Lastly, I'm interested to know what you all think the chances are of Sippio cracking the starting line-up next year?

Mele Kalikimaka!

GO WARRIORS!

HonestChieffan
12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
SIPPIO!!!!!!!!

it will never die.

the Talking Can
12-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Sippio's chances are similar to Courtney Love winning the Presidential election.

HonestChieffan
12-25-2007, 03:42 PM
people who remain on Sippio bandwagoin should be banned from making observations on this years draft

mylittlepony
12-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Well I for one belive that Dorsey is the only top 5 player worthy of top 5 rookie money (for the chiefs). Some mock drafts have such talent as Ellis going at 10. The level of talent between #3 and #10 isnt that big. If we dont catch a huge break we will be overpaying for whoever we get. Any well run teams will shy away from trading up in the draft.

Also Sippio will dominate in o-eight, it even rhymes. Bank it, superbowl.

HonestChieffan
12-25-2007, 04:12 PM
my god in heaven

12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Sippio's chances are similar to Courtney Love winning the Presidential election.
So you're saying theres a chance?
http://www.yee.ch/movies/D/DU/Dumb_Dumber/Photos/dumb_dumber6.jpg

DenverChief
12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
All you Sippio haters can suck a fat polish sausage

HonestChieffan
12-25-2007, 04:22 PM

How insightful.

Hammock Parties
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM

With pleasure. I love big fat weiners in my mouth. So plump and juicy.

DenverChief
12-25-2007, 04:29 PM
How insightful.

people who remain on Sippio bandwagoin should be banned from making observations on this years draft

Just following your lead :thumb:

HonestChieffan
12-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Im afraid you took a wrong turn. Again

HIChief
12-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Just hope the front office a 1 Arrowhead Drive is paying attention. The last thing I could stand, and worse than a losing season, is losing good prospects to the Denver Broncos. They're such pukes. They need to be at the bottom of the division next year.

HIChief
12-25-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm not on his bandwagon, and I don't know much about him except what's been written on this board--early on mostly favorable. If he isn't going to be an asset then we need to think about Kennison's replacement, because he certainly disappeared this season. Another good receiver is needed to keep opposing teams from smothering Bowe with coverage. One more reliable target will also help the quarterback, whoever he is. Kris Wilson needs to be released for sure.

DenverChief
12-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Im afraid you took a wrong turn. Again

yeah only because you failed to signal... now you are

Mecca
12-25-2007, 05:02 PM
So is the goal to have 15 draft picks and only sign 9 of them?

Micjones
12-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't know that I'd want us to trade out of the Top 5. That's just too high to make a move down the draftboard.

At 5 we'll have a shot at Jake Long.
And honestly... I see us winding up with the #4 overall pick.

Mecca
12-25-2007, 05:12 PM
The only way I think they should even consider this is if they are at 4 and the offer is only to drop to say 6 and they get an extra first day pick out of it.

BigMeatballDave
12-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know that I'd want us to trade out of the Top 5. That's just too high to make a move down the draftboard.

At 5 we'll have a shot at Jake Long.
And honestly... I see us winding up with the #4 overall pick.That would mean the Rams would have to win. I hope you're right.

the Talking Can
12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
So you're saying theres a chance?
http://www.yee.ch/movies/D/DU/Dumb_Dumber/Photos/dumb_dumber6.jpg

belated rep

The Bad Guy
12-25-2007, 07:47 PM
That would mean the Rams would have to win. I hope you're right.

I don't think the Rams take Jake Long.

They have a lot of needs at linebacker, defensive end and defensive tackle. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the guy from Ohio State, Dorsey, Chris Long, or Ellis.

Alex Barron and Pace are their tackles. Pace makes far too much money for them to cut or trade.

StcChief
12-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Rams could very well win in the desert. Long is a safe bet for our draft slot.

Iowanian
12-25-2007, 09:44 PM
If the Chiefs have a lick of sense, they'll keep their mouth shut about who they like, and "fall in love" with every player positions 6-10 really like/need....and see what the best offer is on draft day.

If they can manage a high 1 and 2nd, and maybe a 1 or 2 next year.......hell yes.

If not....take the player most likely to have both immediate and long term impact on the team. They need a day 1 starter in the first round.

The chiefs can't miss this year in the first 3 rounds.

BigMeatballDave
12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
If the Chiefs have a lick of senseLMAO

el borracho
12-25-2007, 10:07 PM
We should consider all trade offers but we really don't need any more picks this year. Perhaps a trade for a future pick would make sense. Also, keep in mind how rare a top 5 draft pick is. I think the ultimate would be to trade down a few spots in the 1st and still get someone like Ellis, take an OT at the top of the 2nd and then package some of our 2nd day picks to trade back up into rounds 3 and 4 for help at Guard.

Iowanian
12-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Give me a break....I'm still holding out hope for a new skipper and Gilligan guiding the minnow next season.

Chieficus
12-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Give me a break....I'm still holding out hope for a new skipper and Gilligan guiding the minnow next season.

Heck, the actual Skipper and Giligan would give me more hope with this boat...

That said... I like what was said about keeping the mouth shut and falling in love with a slew of people. There are way too many needs on both sides of the ball, but especially with the lines. If one of the top tier D-tacks are still there, go for it, if not then trade down and see what nice things we can get...

And hope that Ginger shows up to destract Hermigan and Skippy Carl and someone with a brain can make the pick...

Iowanian
12-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I want to clarify that the only situation I support trading down, involves such a 1 sided trade in the Chiefs favor that online renditions are considered Ass to Mouth, with a final wipe on the other GM's pillow case.

Herm saying he wouldn't take a QB in the first round is effing idiotic, for the exact reason I mentioned.

SBK
12-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I want to clarify that the only situation I support trading down, involves such a 1 sided trade in the Chiefs favor that online renditions are considered Ass to Mouth, with a final wipe on the other GM's pillow case.

Herm saying he wouldn't take a QB in the first round is effing idiotic, for the exact reason I mentioned.

I never trust anything I hear from any team about the draft. It's all smoke and mirrors. "I won't draft a QB" means "We're looking at QB's."

xbarretx
12-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I never trust anything I hear from any team about the draft. It's all smoke and mirrors. "I won't draft a QB" means "We're looking at QB's."

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/photohosting1234/PopCulture/buyfordollar.jpg

bowener
12-26-2007, 12:59 AM
If the Chiefs have a lick of sense, they'll keep their mouth shut about who they like, and "fall in love" with every player positions 6-10 really like/need....and see what the best offer is on draft day.
If they can manage a high 1 and 2nd, and maybe a 1 or 2 next year.......hell yes.

If not....take the player most likely to have both immediate and long term impact on the team. They need a day 1 starter in the first round.

The chiefs can't miss this year in the first 3 rounds.

Isnt this what they did with D. Bowe? I thought I read somewhere that Herm/Carl loved Bowe and kept the "we dont need a WR" screen up for as long as possible.

So i guess this year, if they say drafting OL in the first round wont happen, we should celebrate!

xbarretx
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Isnt this what they did with D. Bowe? I thought I read somewhere that Herm/Carl loved Bowe and kept the "we dont need a WR" screen up for as long as possible.

So i guess this year, if they say drafting OL in the first round wont happen, we should celebrate!

yeah but this year arent they saying no QB?

banyon
12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
We'll need some more picks after we give them away for Chad Pennington or whoever. We'll probably trade down after we make that move. That sounds like a typical Carl gameplan to me.

Brock
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
yeah but this year arent they saying no QB?

Would you expect them to honestly broadcast their intentions?

xbarretx
12-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Would you expect them to honestly broadcast their intentions?

no no no :)

he was saying its all a smoke and mirrors game (to which i agree) but it was noted that

so i replied, they said no QB's not OT from what i have read so we should worry then ;)

Braincase
12-26-2007, 10:42 AM
If we can trade down ten spots and pick up a third, I'd do it.

ChiefsCountry
12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
If we get in the top 4 somebody might throw the farm at us to get McFadden. Dallas two first rounders would be tempting, even though they would be lower first rounders though. The question is would a Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis make this team better or would a Sam Baker & Antoine Cason combo be better.

mylittlepony
12-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Since future 1st rounders dont have the same value as present I think the Chiefs have a better shot at getting future draft picks. The picks are gonna be worth so many points at the top that they will be hard to trade out of regardless. Also this years draft isnt that deep in true Elite game changers if the Chiefs get an oportunity for future draft picks of high value they should go for it. We're not 1 year away. The Chiefs need more then 1 playmaker.

blueballs
12-26-2007, 11:38 AM
15 games in Webb has 265 yrds / Samie 275
if you can't beat out those bozos
you need to get back to the arena league before you're to old

SBK
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM

We'd better get a lot more than that. When the Browns traded the #7 for the #6 pick to get KW2 they had to give up their 2nd round pick. Dropping from top 5 to 15 would be a ton of picks.

HonestChieffan
12-26-2007, 02:15 PM
that clears it all up

Frankie
12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
First of all, Merry Christmas All!

Just wondering out loud....if this draft is deep with O-Linemen would it benefit the Chiefs to trade their low draft pick, and move back to get an extra pick or a starting O-lineman from another team? I ask because in last night's Charger-Donk game the announcers were saying Shannahan's top priority for '08 was acquiring O-Linemen through free-agency and the draft too. So, if we're competing with them for Tackles and Guards, we've gotta gain every advantage we can. Would this strategy work?

I am one fan who believes a lot of the Offense's woes will be corrected not with a change at quarterback, but by fixing the line problems, and getting a different Offensive Coordinator. I wish Solari would step back into his original O-Line coaching position, and concentrate on what he's good at. It wasn't that long ago we had one of the most respected Offensive lines in the NFL, and he was the mastermind behind it.
You have the right idea. I think we should go after a LT in the first round. But instead of misusing a top 5 pick on Long, I think we should aim to get Ryan Clady in the 10-12 range. off course many things change about particular players between now and draft day.

HIChief
12-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Is that all a #4 or #5 pick is worth--a later 1st round pick plus a 3rd rounder? Come on, it's gotta be worth more than that! Anybody got the straight up trade value on a #4 or 5? What's it been historically?

HIChief
12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Is that all a #4 or #5 pick is worth--a later 1st round pick plus a 3rd rounder? Come on, it's gotta be worth more than that! Anybody got the straight up trade value on a #4 or 5? What's it been historically?

So, if I read the chart correctly, if we trade our #5 pick in the first round for someone's #16 pick, we have a 700-point credit, which would mean we could theoretically get the 28th pick overall if the same team that trades with us owned it, or a combination of 2nd and/or 3rd round picks. Or, we could get some other team's starting top drawer O-Lineman, plus a later-round draft pick ala-Chicago Bear's acquisition of John Tait.

royr17
12-26-2007, 03:44 PM
First off, If Jake Long is still on the board, then no.

If he's already gone then im all for trading for more picks.

I have a feeling Jake Long will be the best tackle of the draft, and would love to have him as our next Left Tackle.

Mecca
12-26-2007, 03:48 PM

You'd be getting ripped off....

BigRedChief
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pvc.gif
So when we blew the Ryan Sims pick we threw away 5 middle of the 2nd rounders?
2 OL? A CB? A MLB? A DT? gone.:banghead:

FRCDFED
12-26-2007, 04:17 PM
CP almost always trades and almost always gets hosed. We suck at drafting!!

There, it's been said. Back to regular programming...................

FAX
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
15 games in Webb has 265 yrds / Samie 275
if you can't beat out those bozos
you need to get back to the arena league before you're to old

Excellent point, Mr. blueballs. Excellent point.

I think Herm may simply be jealous of SIPPIO!!!! and that's why he's not seeing the field. We have to acknowledge that it is highly likely Herm's wife has been holding late night cell phone conversations with SIPPIO!!!!.

FAX

FAX
12-26-2007, 06:18 PM
... We suck at drafting!! ...

Yep. One of the all time worst in the whole dang league.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
First off, If Jake Long is still on the board, then no.

If he's already gone then im all for trading for more picks.

I have a feeling Jake Long will be the best tackle of the draft, and would love to have him as our next Left Tackle.

I believe that Jake Long may fall out of the top 5 due to average workout numbers, and a pedestrian performance in the Senior Bowl(which will likely happen).

If Oher comes out, then he'll replace Jake Long as the top tackle.

BigRedChief
12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Excellent point, Mr. blueballs. Excellent point.

I think Herm may simply be jealous of SIPPIO!!!! and that's why he's not seeing the field. We have to acknowledge that it is highly likely Herm's wife has been holding late night cell phone conversations with SIPPIO!!!!.

FAXWasn't it on this date 10 years ago that Marty was caught by Greg Hill fooling around with his wife? Or was it Hill fooling around with Marty's mistress?