PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney Todd: My review

RealSNR
12-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, it IS a musical, but don't take it as a chick flick. In fact, it's not a date movie at all unless she's seen the musical already. Extremely bloody and gory- every opportunity presented to display blood is usually capitalized upon. It even shocked me how much there was.

It's not that different from the stage musical script-wise as far as I could tell. They got rid of a couple of the interludes in between as well as a couple of small songs here and there.

It's quite well-done for a movie. It completely screams Tim Burton (the story is practically a gift for Burton to make this film) but it's also one of the darker Burton films he's made. Any time there's a chance to display blood or gore, he usually does. It's quite shocking at first, but you get used to it as a viewer after awhile. Eventually, however, as the deaths grow more and more important, the shock sets back in.

For music snobs- you'll love the music if this is you are unfamiliar with the story. It takes something sweet and innocent like Andrew Lloyd Webber and shits on it completely. Stephen Sondheim is an absolute genius.

Johnny Depp does well given his role. I understand he's not a real singer and it shows at times when he "artistically" chooses to grumble his part instead of sing it. But it definitely works for the role, too. I can't really complain. Alan Rickman is quite good. He hits some pretty damn low bass notes and does a good job of it.

The young guy who plays Toby as well... holy shit does he have a voice. Very impressive for just a boy.

Overall... I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. It's depressing as hell, but the comedy relief spots are hilarious. Great cast. Never leaves you bored. If you've seen the musical before, expect this much... the singing isn't what you'd expect but it shouldn't take away that much.

QuikSsurfer
12-25-2007, 10:17 PM
i saw it this past friday and loved it. i agree 100% about Toby.
7/10

the Talking Can
12-25-2007, 10:21 PM
yeah, I enjoyed it...i like Depp but Carter was the best...she makes me think dirty thoughts...

Deberg_1990
12-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I saw a funny story the other day about how a few "Mainstream Audience" people were walking out of this flick like 10 minutes in.

Apparantly there were expecting Captain Jack Part 2 and were not aware it was a musical.

If you watch the adverstising for it, they do a pretty good job of hiding the fact its a musical. :)

KcMizzou
12-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm not a fan of musicals... that's not exactly my thing.

But, I'll see this... I'm intrigued. :p

Demonpenz
12-26-2007, 12:18 AM
borats part was funny in it

RealSNR
12-26-2007, 02:01 AM
borats part was funny in itForgot to mention him. I was surprised as **** to see him there. Did quite well also

jidar
12-26-2007, 02:49 AM
I usually avoid Tim Burton films because they're too damned Emo and Goth.

Meh.. I dunno, maybe i'll get around to checking it out.

Ebolapox
12-26-2007, 02:52 AM
good stuff. saw it today, enjoyed it.

elvomito
12-26-2007, 03:44 AM
yeah, I enjoyed it...i like Depp but Carter was the best...she makes me think dirty thoughts...I haven't been ****ed like that since grade school

QuikSsurfer
12-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I haven't been ****ed like that since grade school
"i want to have your abortion"