PDA

View Full Version : Our new offensive coordinator will be...

shaneo69
12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Jeremy Bates?

Just basing this on Herm's wishes to run a Broncos-style offense...

Jeremy Bates enters his second season on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in 2007 and his first year as the club’s wide receivers/quarterbacks coach. Bates has five years of NFL coaching experience and was quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets (2005) and an assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-04) before serving as the Broncos’ offensive assistant in 2006.

In his first year with the Broncos during the 2006 season, Bates was an offensive assistant and worked with Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison in coaching the offensive line. The Broncos were one of only three teams in the NFL to have two running backs post at least 670 rushing yards with Tatum Bell (1,025 yds.) and undrafted rookie Mike Bell (677 yds.) both enjoying productive seasons.

As quarterbacks coach for the Jets in 2005, Bates instructed a unit that was forced to use five different passers because of injuries. Despite the adversity, New York’s quarterbacks helped the club improve toward the end of the year with first-year starter Brooks Bollinger posting an 87.7 passer rating and leading the team to a 2-2 record in its final four games.

Bates, 31, was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers in 2004 and worked closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop in the instruction and preparation of the team’s passers. In that capacity, Bates helped Brian Griese lead the NFL in completion percentage (69.3%) in 2004 and set Buccaneers single-season records in that category along with passer rating (97.5) and yards per passing attempt (7.83).

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay as an offensive quality control coach from 2002-03.

Tampa Bay’s offense in 2003 was arguably the most productive in franchise history as Bates assisted a unit that set single-season records in total offense (340.8 ypg.) and passing offense (237.8 ypg.). In addition, the club ranked among the league’s top 10 in both categories in the same year for just the second time in Buccaneers annals.

In his first season in the NFL’s coaching ranks, Bates worked with a Buccaneers offense in 2002 that was pivotal in the franchise winning its first-ever World Championship with a victory over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. Tampa Bay’s offense was particularly dominant in the postseason, averaging 35.3 points and 334.0 yards per game in three playoff contests that year.

Bates, who attended Sevier County High School in Sevierville, Tenn., began his collegiate playing career as a quarterback at the University of Tennessee in 1995. He transferred to Rice University, where he was a two-year letterman in football from 1996-99 and was a second baseman on the school’s baseball team.

Bates’ father, Jim, is in his first season as the Broncos’ assistant head coach/defense. His brother, James, was a linebacker and defensive captain on the University of Florida’s 1996 national championship team and does television play-by-play for the Mountain West Sports Network.

Jeremy Bates was born Aug. 27, 1976, in Manhattan, Kan.

Coaching Experience: 5th NFL Season (1st with Broncos)

Denver Broncos: Offensive Assistant 2006
New York Jets: Quarterbacks 2005
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Assistant Quarterbacks 2004
Offensive Quality Control 2002-03

Reerun_KC
12-26-2007, 09:13 AM
ROFL

Most likely some washed out West Coast offense guy, Hackett, Raye or the Mighty Dicky Curls...

Nobody of significance or great coaching abilities...

Herm will not stand for a coach to outshine his dull ass...

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 09:15 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/dick_curl.jpg

HonestChieffan
12-26-2007, 09:15 AM
and that Bronco success has been a great addition to the old resume?

Reerun_KC
12-26-2007, 09:17 AM
LAZ nailed it!

HonestChieffan
12-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Curl has that grandfatherly image that would work well with young men just out of college.

Zouk
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I can see that. I also would expect for them to put in a call to Alex Gibbs himself to coach the O-line. He's 67 years old, but his son is already on the staff and he never really retired. He just wants to get paid as much as an offensive coordinator. At the very least I think they would go to Gibbs for recommendations on a new line coach.

FringeNC
12-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Just basing this on Herm's wishes to run a Broncos-style offense...

I missed this Herm quote. But great...an all-new offense will be Herm's excuse for our 32-ranked offense next year...

Signing Chad Pennington appears inevitable...

Zouk, would you turn on Herm if we signed Pennington to be the starting QB?

Zouk
12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Zouk, would you turn on Herm if we signed Pennington to be the starting QB?

No.

I'll turn on Herm if we have less than 7 wins next year (unless there is a freak thing like the 2 top QBs being out for the year).

FringeNC
12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
No.

I'll turn on Herm if we have less than 7 wins next year (unless there is a freak thing like the 2 top QBs being out for the year).

Wait a minute. I thought you preached the necessity of having a franchise QB in order to have playoff success. We know Pennington isn't a franchise QB.

Zouk
12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Wait a minute. I thought you preached the necessity of having a franchise QB in order to have playoff success. We know Pennington isn't a franchise QB.

No - what I said is that if you have a top 5 QB you will be contending for championships. Most teams don't have and cannot get a top 5 QB, so they have to game plan to win another way. I think Herm understands this and is building a team that can compete with the big boys even without a top QB (as his Jets did in 2002 and 2004, and as his friend Lovie Smith did last year).

I'm not big on style points, I just want playoff victories. 17-13 is fine with me.

But we've gone off the point of this thread. Let's go back to talking about what the Chiefs should do this offseason.

ChiefsCountry
12-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I bet it will be Mike Heimerdinger.

Zouk
12-26-2007, 10:48 AM

You think the Broncos are going to fire him?

StcChief
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Bates would be fine

ChiefsCountry
12-26-2007, 10:51 AM
You think the Broncos are going to fire him?

I think the Broncos might clean house this offseason. I just get that feeling from them.

Warrior5
12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
No. He's a stinkin' Donkeys coach.

Next.

blueballs
12-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Herm will cut out the middle men
and call his own plays
Curl will be the new ST coach

Hammock Parties
12-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I have not heard Bates name mentioned.

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 01:24 PM

God I hope not he is sucks as bad as Solari does.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
God I hope not he is sucks as bad as Solari does.

Based on what? Heimerdinger had a good run with the Titans as OC.

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Based on what? Heimerdinger had a good run with the Titans as OC.

That was a long time ago he hasn't done shit since. I am sure he has alot of input with the Donkey's O and I am not real impressed with them either.

Anyway I think it is a moot point because he can't come here unless he is fired or the Broncos allow him to leave. He is the Assistant head coach which means to come here it is a demotion and IIRC NFL rules prohibit that when changing teams.

I could be wrong though.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2007, 01:35 PM
That was a long time ago he hasn't done shit since. I am sure he has alot of input with the Donkey's O and I am not real impressed with them either.

The rank in the top 10.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
anyone pretty much except dick curl and any west coast paul hackett bs

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 01:53 PM
The rank in the top 10.

21st in scoring

Anyway I don't consider their offense anything to brag about.

Spicy McHaggis
12-26-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't know but I wouldn't mind Singletary as our new defensive coordinator.

FringeNC
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
No - what I said is that if you have a top 5 QB you will be contending for championships. Most teams don't have and cannot get a top 5 QB, so they have to game plan to win another way. I think Herm understands this and is building a team that can compete with the big boys even without a top QB (as his Jets did in 2002 and 2004, and as his friend Lovie Smith did last year).

I'm not big on style points, I just want playoff victories. 17-13 is fine with me.

But we've gone off the point of this thread. Let's go back to talking about what the Chiefs should do this offseason.

You don't compete against the big boys unless you have a high-powered offense, or an incredible defense. To win a SB, you simply need to have a dominant team. Whether you gain 6.0 yards per play and allow 5 yards or play or gain 5.0 yards per play and allow 4.0 yards per play, it doesn't really matter. Do you know how far off the Chiefs are from being dominant? Last time I looked, they were tied for last in net yards per play. How is Herm going to go from the worst team in the league to the best?

Yes, occassionally a fluke team will win a SB that is not dominant at all, but they probably won't even make the playoffs the following year. I am tired of the Carl/Herm philosophy of just trying to get into the playoffs, and then praying luck out and neglecting investing in personnel and sophisticated schemes, which are the way non-fluke and repeated playoff success occur.

Herm's play-not-lose philosophy is doomed in a league with Peyton Mannings, Jason Garretts, and Bill Belichicks, etc. Maybe 30 years ago in a league full of Martys, that may have been a viable philosophy, but not now. Herm simply doesn't think you need to have a dominant team to win -- he just wants to get into the 4th quarter of a playoff game, and have God then hand it to him. It's a DOA strategy.

Ultra Peanut
12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
This guy:

http://i13.tinypic.com/81tulgy.jpg

Zouk
12-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Herm's play-not-lose philosophy is doomed in a league with Peyton Mannings, Jason Garretts, and Bill Belichicks, etc.

I've seen what Belichick-style play-calling looks like without Brady - it's called the Jets.

The last 3 teams to win a Super Bowl without Brady or Manning were the Steelers, Ravens, and the Bucs. Plus the Bears and Panthers made the Super Bowl with a similar model.

If you want to compete for Super Bowls year in and year out, it's all about the QB. History bears that out. I'm listening to Keitzmann right now and I think he's making a very convincing case that if the Chiefs think Ryan or Brohm can be a bigtime QB, they have to take him. I agree with that.

Eleazar
12-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I can't believe there is anyone here who would still be on the bandwagon with Chad Pennington under center and Dick Curl as offensive coordinator.

Oh yay, another 9-7 season... another raping in the wild card game... yippee Carl, here is another $2000

Micjones
12-26-2007, 03:05 PM
The Chiefs have to take Brohm or Ryan if Jake Long is off the board.

Croyle has just one game left this season and unless he comes out and tosses 3 TD's... He hasn't proven he deserves more time. Though I'd hang on to him and make him compete with the draftee.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2007, 03:06 PM
21st in scoring

Anyway I don't consider their offense anything to brag about.

Any time you rank in the top 10 in offensive yardage, it's a good thing.

They have had problems in the red zone, but that is talent/Cutler issues.

FringeNC
12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I've seen what Belichick-style play-calling looks like without Brady - it's called the Jets.

The last 3 teams to win a Super Bowl without Brady or Manning were the Steelers, Ravens, and the Bucs. Plus the Bears and Panthers made the Super Bowl with a similar model.

If you want to compete for Super Bowls year in and year out, it's all about the QB. History bears that out. I'm listening to Keitzmann right now and I think he's making a very convincing case that if the Chiefs think Ryan or Brohm can be a bigtime QB, they have to take him. I agree with that.

Yes, you have to be able to move the ball consistently through the air to win SBs. Problem I have with your view is that you seem to think coaching and scheme have nothing to do with QB success -- that it's predetermined or something. If that is the case, Brady wouldn't have fallen to the 6th round. It's a combination of physical skills, mental skills, work ethic, coaching, schemes, surrounding talent, etc. In fact, I am not sure COACHING is not the MOST important factor.

If you think you can just draft Ryan, and he'll make Herm look like Belichick....that's a joke. Herm Edwards is no Bill Belichick and Dick Curl is no Charlie Weis, even if Matt Ryan was a Tom Brady.

The Franchise
12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
This guy:

http://i13.tinypic.com/81tulgy.jpg

ROFL I just might have to steal that and use it as my avatar.

Dylan
12-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Here's an interesting article on NFL's best offensive play-caller. On the right TV analysts share their opinions. Some choices I don't agree with where they are ranked.

My choice of OC -- The No. 1 ranked offense. ...

And also the one that Laz picked -- :D

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-26-playcallers-main_N.htm

Zouk
12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
If you think you can just draft Ryan, and he'll make Herm look like Belichick....that's a joke. Herm Edwards is no Bill Belichick and Dick Curl is no Charlie Weis, even if Matt Ryan was a Tom Brady.

The Colts have a beautiful offense. It functions like a well oiled machine. It also happens to be one of the simplest offenses in football in terms of number of plays. The coordinator of that offense is Tom Moore. Tom Moore coordinated the Steelers offense from 1983 to 1989. They were a below average offense most of those years. He was also the coordinator of the Lions during the end of the Wayne Fontes era. Not very good offense. You know about Belichick in Cleveland, so I won't rehash that. Before Mike McCarthy was in Green Bay, he coordinated the 49ers offense. It was not pretty. Etc, etc.

Valiant
12-26-2007, 03:30 PM
The Chiefs have to take Brohm or Ryan if Jake Long is off the board.

Croyle has just one game left this season and unless he comes out and tosses 3 TD's... He hasn't proven he deserves more time. Though I'd hang on to him and make him compete with the draftee.

I love how he has had only a few starts but does not deserve more time.. Whereas most of you were all over Huards cock last year during his starts..

It takes more then a month to determine if a QB can be QBotF... Brodie deserves all of next year..

Will it happen??? no.. because of dumbshits like you and probably herm who think 5 games is enough of an indicator..

If Brodie sucks and does not improve next year then we have an actually reason to move on... But deciding after a few games is just foolish..

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
The Colts have a beautiful offense. It functions like a well oiled machine. It also happens to be one of the simplest offenses in football in terms of number of plays.
the colt's offense might not be complex but it's far from simple.

they go to the line of scrimmage with multi-plays ready to go depending on the defense.

Herm's head would explode if we tried anything even remotely like that.

The Franchise
12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
The Colts have a beautiful offense. It functions like a well oiled machine. It also happens to be one of the simplest offenses in football in terms of number of plays. The coordinator of that offense is Tom Moore. Tom Moore coordinated the Steelers offense from 1983 to 1989. They were a below average offense most of those years. He was also the coordinator of the Lions during the end of the Wayne Fontes era. Not very good offense. You know about Belichick in Cleveland, so I won't rehash that. Before Mike McCarthy was in Green Bay, he coordinated the 49ers offense. It was not pretty. Etc, etc.

Tom Moore is like a cardboard cutout. The guy just stands there and lets Peyton call the plays. His job is about as easy as being Brett Favre's backup.

And no I'm not saying that I can do his job either.

Zouk
12-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I have not heard Bates name mentioned.

Have you heard Karl Dorrell?

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I can't believe there is anyone here who would still be on the bandwagon with Chad Pennington under center and Dick Curl as offensive coordinator.

Oh yay, another 9-7 season... another raping in the wild card game... yippee Carl, here is another $2000

You actually think we would be that good?