PDA

View Full Version : Calling out Bob Gretz

B_Ambuehl
12-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Numerous times in the last seven months Bob "The Company Man" Gretz has made reference to the "Circus offense" the Chiefs had under Vermeil. According to him, the Chiefs never ran the ball under Vermeil and put too much pressure on the defense due to poor time of possession and lack of ball control. He has said repeatedly that Herms "ball control" and "time possession" oriented offense is so much better for the defense and is just SOOOOOO much better in those stats than the offense was under Vermeil. So, I decided to do a little digging. What follows are the rankings for total offense, rushing, and time of possession from 2001 through 2005 for both the Chiefs under Vermeil and the Jets under Herm.

----------KC-----------------------------------NYJ (Herm)---------
-------rushing-----TOP----total O--------rushing----TOP-----total O

2001----6---------22-------5-------------4---------23-------24
2002----3---------22-------4-------------22--------26-------22
2003----15--------21-------2-------------25--------25-------9
2004----5---------4--------1-------------3----------3-------12
2005----4---------3--------1-------------31--------32-------31

What jumps out about these stats is only once in 5 years did Herm's NY Jets football team have better time of possession than Vermeils "Circus Offense". Four times in 5 years Herm's Jets were in the BOTTOM 10 in time of possession. Only TWICE in 5 years did they compile more rushing yards than Vermeil's Chiefs. Three times in 5 years (and 4 out of 7 if you count this year), Herms team was among the bottom 10 in rushing offense.

Just for shits and giggles, here is how the Chiefs rank in those same stats the last 2 years under Herm:

#9 rushing, #13 TOP, #16 total offense

#32 rushing, #18 TOP, #29 total offense

Even with an 1800 yard rusher in 2006 the Chiefs have actually regressed BIG TIME in both rushing and TOP the last 2 years under Herm.

It should be evident that Herm (and Gretz) are full of it if they're trying to use improvement in ball control as something they've improved upon.

kcxiv
12-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Bob Gretz is a retard. He defends whoever is the current coach and thats pretty much it. He gets paid to be a blind homer.

Rain Man
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Gretz is the court jester of the Chiefs, and he's not even trying to be funny. Dude needs to move on and try another career.

siberian khatru
12-27-2007, 09:59 AM
He defends whoever is the current coach and thats pretty much it.

Exactly, that's what all the mouthpieces do. Defend the status quo and call out fans who disagree -- then when the changes finally come, they retroactively throw the old regime under the bus (GRob, Vermeil, etc.) and act like they were always critical of them and their shortcomings were obvious.

Hammock Parties
12-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Herm actually states in his book that he believes time of possession is overrated.

Bowser
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
It might take a defense to win a championship, but you need an offense to get you there.

bobbything
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I've made reference to this many times. Gretz seems to forget how well the offense managed to maintain TOP.

I hate it when he refers to it as a "Circus Offense." To this day, I still don't know what he means by that. We didn't throw the ball any more than 15 other teams in the league. We were around middle of the pack in attempts most years.

KCChiefsFan88
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Gretz's cholesterol level is 400 times his IQ

Bowser
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I've made reference to this many times. Gretz seems to forget how well the offense managed to maintain TOP.

I hate it when he refers to it as a "Circus Offense." To this day, I still don't know what he means by that. We didn't throw the ball any more than 15 other teams in the league. We were around middle of the pack in attempts most years.

Yep. We were consistantly among the league leaders in rushing the ball. Vermeil and Saunders just understood you had to mix up the playcalling to keep yourself from becoming easy to figure out, something Herm and Solari are having a problem with.

Rain Man
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I find it funny when I hear Gretz on the radio occasionally. He's got the worst radio voice ever, which is compounded by the fact that he never has anything worthwhile to say. I bet that Randy Cross would make fun of Gretz.

Announcer: Well, the Chiefs are down 35-0 in the first quarter. They've fumbled the ball eight times, thrown three interceptions, and have had 12 penalties called against them. What's your take, Bob Gretz?

Bob Gretz: They aren't playing good.

(Long pause.)

Announcer: Ooooookay. That was Bob Gretz's take. Now let's move on.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Bob Gretz is a retard. He defends whoever is the current coach and thats pretty much it. He gets paid to be a blind homer.
QFT

Messier
12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Why are you getting upset with Bob Gretz? He's the reporter for the Chiefs. Employed by the Chiefs. Being upset with Gretz for that is like being upset with Johnny Cochran for trying to make it sound like O.J. was innocent.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
The blob is an idiot-who doesn't speak the truth. He has his nose buried deep in Carl's ass and that's it.

FringeNC
12-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Why are you getting upset with Bob Gretz? He's the reporter for the Chiefs. Employed by the Chiefs. Being upset with Gretz for that is like being upset with Johnny Cochran for trying to make it sound like O.J. was innocent.

Do other franchises engage in revisionist history and disinformation campaigns like this one? I think it is insulting to fans' intelligence and counter-productive.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Do other franchises engage in revisionist history and disinformation campaigns like this one? I think it is insulting to fans' intelligence and counter-productive.I think it will be funny as Hell when there's an average of 20,000 fans at the home games next year. The ownership group isn't listening to anything else, so I'll be damned if I'm paying thousands of dollars for mediocre anymore. Hit 'em in the pocketbook and send Carl and Herm packing.

KC Kings
12-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I think it will be funny as Hell when there's an average of 20,000 fans at the home games next year. The ownership group isn't listening to anything else, so I'll be damned if I'm paying thousands of dollars for mediocre anymore. Hit 'em in the pocketbook and send Carl and Herm packing.

No chance in hell. The 2007 Royals pulled almost 20,000 in average attendance. The Chief might drop down to 60K, but I would be extremely surprised if they didn" do some front office magic to "sell" enough tickets to sell out the game and keep it on tv.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
No chance in hell. The 2007 Royals pulled almost 20,000 in average attendance. The Chief might drop down to 60K, but I would be extremely surprised if they didn" do some front office magic to "sell" enough tickets to sell out the game and keep it on tv.

There has been less than 45,000 the past couple of games. If they retain Carl and Herm, I can see alot of people giving up on them. I won't retain my tickets. Why would I? To spend thousands of dollars to watch one of the shittiest teams in the league? No thanks, I've done that for too many years as it is-let the true fans pay for it.

Chief Henry
12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
The blob is an idiot-who doesn't speak the truth. He has his nose buried deep in Carl's ass and that's it.

He has too, thats his job. Blob is suppose to be the mouth piece for Carl and the Chiefs.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
He has too, thats his job. Blob is suppose to be the mouth piece for Carl and the Chiefs.And what a bigmouth he is. The Blob is a pompous, shit-stirring, idiot. I can't wait until the day, he gets his. Karma is a bitch, Gretz.

KCChiefsFan88
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Bob Gretz endorses Wargarbage Illustrated as high quality reading