PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV There Will Be Blood

noa
12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Not sure when this is opening around the country, but I saw this movie yesterday and it was outstanding.

Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible, and P.T. Anderson adapts his style to the story so his directing choices are not overbearing.

You still get the trademark powerful score and the cinematography looks similar to his other movies, and the camerawork is equally graceful as his previous stuff, but I think he held back a bit with this movie, and it was necessary. Day-Lewis' performance is too strong to allow the director detract from it by using self-aware directing techniques.

As for the plot, the story of an oil-man in the early 20th century didn't strike me initially as something I would enjoy. I thought that perhaps P.T. Anderson chose this because oil is such a part of our political discussion today, and was trying to show us the origins of our current oil addiction, but the movie really transcends any political elements you might read into it. It is a story of the American dream, and what hard work and determination and a cut-throat business style will get you. Even the preacher character is a good conduit for examining the American focus on wealth and power.

All in all, this was my favorite movie of the year (including No Country for Old Men), and I haven't been as impressed by an actor in years as I was by Daniel Day-Lewis. I highly recommend this movie.

My only disclaimer is that it is two and a half hours, so that can be a bit taxing, but it really doesn't feel that long as you are watching it.

As soon as the movie let out, I could hear other members of the audience talk about how much they loved it, how it reminded them of other classic American epics, like Citizen Kane.

IMO, we are lucky to have a chance to witness a collaboration between two virtuosos in their own right (P.T. Anderson and Daniel Day-Lewis) and this movie is a work of art that should not be missed.

Sully
12-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Can't wait...

chagrin
12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
What's the synopsis?

KcMizzou
12-27-2007, 06:56 PM
What's the synopsis?A sprawling epic about family, greed, corruption, and the pursuit of the American dream. Set in the booming West coast oil fields at the turn of the 20th century, "There Will Be Blood" follows the rise of rugged prospector Daniel Plainview (Day-Lewis) who becomes an independent oilman after hitting it rich with the strike of a lifetime. Written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film is inspired by Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/there_will_be_blood/about.php

Simply Red
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Noa,

Eastern Promises?

the Talking Can
12-27-2007, 07:05 PM
can't wait...love Anderson, and Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is being described as one of the best ever....

chagrin
12-27-2007, 07:17 PM
A sprawling epic about family, greed, corruption, and the pursuit of the American dream. Set in the booming West coast oil fields at the turn of the 20th century, "There Will Be Blood" follows the rise of rugged prospector Daniel Plainview (Day-Lewis) who becomes an independent oilman after hitting it rich with the strike of a lifetime. Written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film is inspired by Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/there_will_be_blood/about.php

Ahh, I see - thanks!

chagrin
12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Noa,

Eastern Promises?

I'm watching that tomorrow night, can't wait

the Talking Can
12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Noa,

Eastern Promises?

excellent flick

JohninGpt
12-27-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't believe I have ever been dissapointed by any performance that DDL has turned in. I'll have to see this.

noa
12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Noa,

Eastern Promises?

I liked Eastern Promises very much. Definitely one of my favorites of the year, but this topped that IMO.

Simply Red
12-27-2007, 08:37 PM
excellent flick
So you liked it? Good deal. I particularly enjoyed the tasteful automobiles, most notably; the maybach S-600

Deberg_1990
12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
excellent flick

As good as "History of Violence"? I loved that flick.

Simply Red
12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
As good as "History of Violence"? I loved that flick.
Very different. But IMO better overall. Like a calmed down version of: hmm, maybe The Godfather. I don't know. Stylish approach though by Cronenburg (SP)

acesn8s
12-27-2007, 09:54 PM
A sprawling epic about family, greed, corruption, and the pursuit of the American dream. Set in the booming oil fields at the turn of the 21th centuryIt's about the Mizzou Tigers BCS hopes?

j/k

Thig Lyfe
12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I want to see this, especially after seeing No Country for Old Men. Just so I can decide Best Picture for myself.

Miles
12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I typically really enjoy both P.T. Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis so I am really looking forward to this one.

KcMizzou
12-28-2007, 12:30 AM
It's about the Mizzou Tigers BCS hopes?

j/kScoreboard, beaker. :p

noa
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Bump because this is opening tomorrow in KC and other areas around the country.

the Talking Can
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
saw it, loved it

but you have to be patient...some things develop very slowly...

there are moments where Lewis is beyond words...though his character is more shrewd and slow developing than the previews lead you to believe, he isn't bombastic from the beginning, which is good...

Deberg_1990
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
PT Anderson hasnt made a bad movie yet. IMO

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Noa you sold the movie. I go to the theatre MAYBE twice a year. Haven't been in 2 years. I'm gonna go see this movie this weekend.

noa
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Noa you sold the movie. I go to the theatre MAYBE twice a year. Haven't been in 2 years. I'm gonna go see this movie this weekend.

Ha. Well, I hope that you like it. Sure is a lot of pressure. Let me know what you think.

Deberg_1990
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I think ill go check out Rambo this weekend. IM in the mood for some 80's style nonsense.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-25-2008, 04:00 AM
"I drink your milkshake. I drink it up".

KC_Connection
01-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Great movie, right there with NCOM for best picture in '07. I think I did in fact like it better than NCOM.

Pennywise
01-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Awesome movie.

DeepPurple
01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
As soon as the movie let out, I could hear other members of the audience talk about how much they loved it, how it reminded them of other classic American epics, like Citizen Kane.

NOA, did you ever see Giant? As soon as I heard the premise it reminded me of Giant and then I read a couple of reviews that used that same comparison. It featured James Dean, Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor, came out in the mid 50's.

I definitely want to see There will be Blood but I always wait for the DVD. I've only been to the movies once in the last ten years and that was last April to see Zodiac.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Ha. Well, I hope that you like it. Sure is a lot of pressure. Let me know what you think.

LMAO I knew I was going to like it the second I read about it.

noa
01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
NOA, did you ever see Giant? As soon as I heard the premise it reminded me of Giant and then I read a couple of reviews that used that same comparison. It featured James Dean, Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor, came out in the mid 50's.

Yeah, that's definitely a fair comparison. I think some of the scenes were even shot in the same location as Giant.

I've only been to the movies once in the last ten years and that was last April to see Zodiac.

That was a great movie. Pretty good choice for one to catch in the theater.

ChiefFan31
01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I saw this earlier in the week. Very good movie. DDL is an amazing actor.

Definitely a different type of movie. Didn't know much about the director, but read up on him and his movies and style a bit after I got home. Very good though. Hopefully this will come out in one of the high def formats when the time comes for release on DVD.

DeepPurple
01-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I think some of the scenes were even shot in the same location as Giant.

I'm now on a western kick. I just saw the DVD '3:10 to Yuma' with Bale and Crowe and was blown away. Now I'm waiting for the 'Assassination of Jesse James' in a couple of weeks and then this flick hopefully in April or May. I just heard 'No Country for Old Men' comes out on DVD March 11th.

Archie F. Swin
01-25-2008, 05:46 PM
If Lewis executes this role half as good as "The Gangs of NY" Bill Cutting... I'll watch every minute.

Bill Cutting may be one of the best on-screen villians EVAH!!

chagrin
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I am agonizing through the first 22 minutes so far, yeesh.

Of course, I have little patience for extremely slow build ups - this movie is killing me, it feels like it's been on for an hour now.

Here's to hoping it gets better

chagrin
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
If Lewis executes this role half as good as "The Gangs of NY" Bill Cutting... I'll watch every minute.

Bill Cutting may be one of the best on-screen villians EVAH!!

I will say this though, the writing and execution of the scenery, technical stuff so far may hurt but He is definitely a seriously evil dude; you can totally feel the tension in every scene he is in - excellent acting by DDL

KC_Connection
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I am agonizing through the first 22 minutes so far, yeesh.

Of course, I have little patience for extremely slow build ups - this movie is killing me, it feels like it's been on for an hour now.

Here's to hoping it gets better
I didn't find it slow at all.

chagrin
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I didn't find it slow at all.

The first 22 minutes crawl

Fish
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow. Difficult movie to describe. Quite unique. The main character, Daniel Plainview, is a smart, mean, ruthless person who cares for nothing but himself and his money. He is a very complex and fascinating character, but you can't ever quite relate to him and his selfish hatred for everyone. In fact, there aren't many morally good characters in the movie at all. It gives the movie a painful spooky feeling, like you just know it won't/can't have a happy ending. Hard to describe. Powerful though. There's a lot of different emotions all mixed together. The scenery is a lot like No Country For Old Men. Lonely old west feel to it. It's rather quiet too, not much for background music at all. In several fast-paced scenes, the hard breathing of the character is heard above everything else.

I really enjoyed it. But I don't think it's for everyone. It's like Deadwood meets Citizen Kane, if you can imagine that. There was an older lady sitting near me that really didn't like it at all. There are several very cruel, merciless, and morally wrong scenes throughout the movie, and I thought the poor lady was gonna faint. She had this "Well.. I never..." look on her face the whole time. It's fairly slow paced, and 2hr 38min long. But I was so wrapped up in it, I didn't notice the time.

Won't forget this one for a long time....

KC_Connection
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
The first 22 minutes crawl
As I said, I thought it went at the perfect pace throughout. I never felt bored.

Just one man's opinion, though.

Fish
02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't think there was a single word spoken for the first 22 minutes.. I think it added to the cold lonely tone they were trying to convey.

KC_Connection
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think there was a single word spoken for the first 22 minutes.. I think it added to the cold lonely tone they were trying to convey.
I was so engrossed in that character that I didn't even realy notice the lack of dialogue.

chagrin
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM

That's a good point, still I didn't like the first 22 minutes. As it seems though, it picked up about 2 minutes after the scene where I paused it, lol!
Now it's got me

noa
02-06-2008, 08:08 PM
That's a good point, still I didn't like the first 22 minutes. As it seems though, it picked up about 2 minutes after the scene where I paused it, lol!
Now it's got me

Good to hear.

I recently listened to an interview with P.T. Anderson where he talked about how much he enjoyed cutting lines of dialog. I haven't read Oil, but apparently there is a narrator, and Anderson wanted to cut all of that out and make the story more about a few main characters.

chagrin
02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
There are several very cruel, merciless, and morally wrong scenes throughout the movie, and I thought the poor lady was gonna faint. She had this "Well.. I never..." look on her face the whole time.

Did you say "and believe me lady, it shows"...?

chagrin
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
The kid who plays Eli is very good as well

Fish
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you say "and believe me lady, it shows"...?

She wouldn't look at me, as she smelled the whiskey from my flask and gave me the disappointing shake of the jowls and turned away.... I may have influenced her movie going experience....

the Talking Can
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Wow. Difficult movie to describe. Quite unique. The main character, Daniel Plainview, is a smart, mean, ruthless person who cares for nothing but himself and his money. He is a very complex and fascinating character, but you can't ever quite relate to him and his selfish hatred for everyone. In fact, there aren't many morally good characters in the movie at all. It gives the movie a painful spooky feeling, like you just know it won't/can't have a happy ending. Hard to describe. Powerful though. There's a lot of different emotions all mixed together. The scenery is a lot like No Country For Old Men. Lonely old west feel to it. It's rather quiet too, not much for background music at all. In several fast-paced scenes, the hard breathing of the character is heard above everything else.

I really enjoyed it. But I don't think it's for everyone. It's like Deadwood meets Citizen Kane, if you can imagine that. There was an older lady sitting near me that really didn't like it at all. There are several very cruel, merciless, and morally wrong scenes throughout the movie, and I thought the poor lady was gonna faint. She had this "Well.. I never..." look on her face the whole time. It's fairly slow paced, and 2hr 38min long. But I was so wrapped up in it, I didn't notice the time.

Won't forget this one for a long time....

that's a pretty good description of the experience....

xbarretx
02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
i saw it and loved it. it was a good thinking mans movie. my father in law hated it. felt it was too dry and plot lacking. i figured its definitely not plot lacking and has plenty of aspects to analyze and think about.

xbarretx
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
that's a pretty good description of the experience....

yes and sadly rosebud was not in the old west as there was a definate lacking of snow. :deevee:

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Uh-may-zinggggggg

Valiant
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I hear it is good.. Have it on a dvd, damn that china town..

RealSNR
06-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I usually watch good new movies YEARS after most people have seen them, so get off my case. A few months is good for me.

Amazing movie! It's already become one of my favorites :thumb:

Hammock Parties
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
PT Anderson should have directed Indy IV. He would have made it real and gritty.

Brock
06-14-2008, 07:03 PM
This one was puzzling.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Watched it a few weeks ago. Loved it. The ending was pretty weird though.

irishjayhawk
06-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Watched it a few weeks ago. Loved it. The ending was pretty weird though.

I love the end. Eli's demise is exactly like the bitch in the Mist who everyone cheers against.

And the milkshake line is epic once you see what follows.

cdcox
06-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I saw the "I drink your milkshake" skit on SNL back in Jan/Feb way before I saw the movie. I just thought it was some random SNL silliness at the time. I watched the movie maybe a month ago and I finally got the point behind the SNL skit.

irishjayhawk
06-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I saw the "I drink your milkshake" skit on SNL back in Jan/Feb way before I saw the movie. I just thought it was some random SNL silliness at the time. I watched the movie maybe a month ago and I finally got the point behind the SNL skit.

:LOL:

Wait. I did too.

Ugly Duck
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I haven't been as impressed by an actor in years as I was by Daniel Day-Lewis.

He's long been my fav actor. Amazing that the guy in Gangs of New York, My Left Foot & Last of the Mohicans is actually the same guy. He just becomes someone else when he plays a part. Outstanding.

RealSNR
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Watched it a few weeks ago. Loved it. The ending was pretty weird though.DRAAAAAAIIIINAGE!

Seriously, I usually pride myself as someone who hates a lot of people for no good reason, but the character of Daniel Plainview has made me feel great about myself. How he hates ALL people that he encounters is absolutely incredible in this movie.

The ending is the most awesome thing ever. I'm putting it up there as an eventual classic scene that people years from now will still be saying, "I drink your milkshake." I mean like... up there with "Luke, I am your father" and that sort of thing.

Plus, it's great how Eli's death is so fitting. Daniel points out his brother, who was the sinful one who left home, and this time became successful, while Eli, who stayed close to God and home, is now the sinful one and the unsuccessful one. And then he kills him with a friggin bowling pin.

wazu
06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I didn't like it.

dj56dt58
06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
If I had gone knowing what the movie was about..I would have liked it more. I hadn't seen previews and figured it was going to be a bloody gory horror film..not a movie about oil. Now that I think back..It was a good movie and I'll probably get it on blu ray