View Full Version : NFT: Cellphone question. Anyone have/tried the Moto Q?

BigVE
12-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Thinking of getting one, anyone know much about 'em? Thanks for your help.

SLAG
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
www.sprint.com/sero (http://www.sprint.com/sero)

This is about all I know

DMAC
12-28-2007, 01:40 PM
My buddy uses the Slingbox on it. He said he likes it.

He's a raiderfan though.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

KCTitus
12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
I got the Q9c for Christmas...it's pretty nice. The bluetooth sucks the battery in about 2-3 days. Windows Mobile OS is fairly stable. Ive only had to reboot once since Ive been using it.

Browsers nice, IE and all, but I cant get the planet to open.

edit: features include IM options, email, browser, use of the phone as a modem, hi speed connection to Net. Active Sync with Outlook for contact mgmt. I'd say it's blackberry 'lite'.

SLAG
12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
mini.opera.com

BigVE
12-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I got the Q9c for Christmas...it's pretty nice. The bluetooth sucks the battery in about 2-3 days. Windows Mobile OS is fairly stable. Ive only had to reboot once since Ive been using it.

Browsers nice, IE and all, but I cant get the planet to open.

edit: features include IM options, email, browser, use of the phone as a modem, hi speed connection to Net. Active Sync with Outlook for contact mgmt. I'd say it's blackberry 'lite'.

I think your statement "blackberry lite" is probably pretty accurate and if so would suit me just fine. I can get one for right around 200 bucks without a contract. I paid almost 200 bucks for the Razr when they first came out (like an idiot), it has been a nice phone but now they are GIVING them away!! If I'm going to shell out some cash I may as well get something nice.

kepp
12-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't have one myself, but I know someone who does and they love it.

KCTitus
12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
I think your statement "blackberry lite" is probably pretty accurate and if so would suit me just fine. I can get one for right around 200 bucks without a contract. I paid almost 200 bucks for the Razr when they first came out (like an idiot), it has been a nice phone but now they are GIVING them away!! If I'm going to shell out some cash I may as well get something nice.

200 outside of contract is a pretty good deal. Mine was 149, but I re-upped my contract which had expired back in Feb so I got it basically for free -- I got a 150 upgrade credit

BigVE
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm up for an upgrade/renewal in April. I'm not opposed to renewing my contract, especially if it will save me some cash on this phone. I will have to check into that.

KCTitus
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
if/when you take the plunge just remember to get a data plan.

KCTitus
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
mini.opera.com

voila...opera is the trick. thanks

DJJasonp
12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I bought one a year and a half ago...

It's ok but I've never fully used it to it's capabilities (think Kris Wilson).

the center knobby thing that is used to navigate and hit "enter" is wearing down so it's now hard to navigate without hitting "send" accidentally.

But if you're into using your phone for various purposes (email, internet, etc. etc.)...it's a pretty good phone....nice and slim and light.

That said...I'm going back to a flip phone next time as it's not a convenient "in the pocket" phone (I dont like the belt clip setup for it).

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I owned the Q. I didn't like it. I have a laptop, so all the apps weren't a big deal for me. I bought a Treo and didn't like that either. Again, apps not a big deal and both phones crashed frequently and ran rather slow. I just got a blackberry a month or so ago and I love it. It's awesome and it has made my life much much easier.

I can hook it up to my laptop and work at the park, or beach, or wherever. It doesn't do everything that Palm, and Smartphones do, but it does what it says it will do, it does it quickly, and it does it without fail. Something NO other smartphone I've ever had can claim. If you do your homework and buy used like I do, you can get a blackberry for around the same price as a Q. If you have a laptop, it's a much better choice. If you need the apps that smartphones come with, look at Treos, they're superior in every way to the Q. It was my least favorite of the ones I owned.

DBO82
12-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Wife has one....shes a real estate agent.

Loves it....great for email, text, web browsing.

Very durable....I've dropped it a few times and it still works.

Had some issues to start with emails and locking up. Alltel did a great job of working with her getting it corrected.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Again, thanks for the info. I'm a bit undecided still, I have considered the blackberry as well. The fact that it's not small is a factor too but the Q appears to be smaller than the blackberry and the trio.

DBO82
12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Again, thanks for the info. I'm a bit undecided still, I have considered the blackberry as well. The fact that it's not small is a factor too but the Q appears to be smaller than the blackberry and the trio.

Have you seen the Blackberry Pearl?

BigVE
12-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Only pictures. The ad for the Q SAYS it's the smallest and thinnest so it MUST BE TRUE. lol

DBO82
12-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Only pictures. The ad for the Q SAYS it's the smallest and thinnest so it MUST BE TRUE. lol

Eh...I would say Pearl.

jeff h
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I just got the centro and love it. I have used the treo for a couple of years and am glad to get a smaller version of the same phone. I would love a crackberry but sprint charges extra. I just signed up for a new plan called sero on sprint. it's the best deal going...500 minutes, unlimited text,data, 30 bucks plus tax.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I have Alltel so my choices are a bit limited compared to some. I don't see that the blackberry pearl is offered but I may be missing it.

KevB
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I just got the HTC Touch for Sprint --- it's my first PDA phone. I'm in love. I'm tweaking it to look they way I'd like and adding a few apps. It's a bit more than the Q, but it is really outstanding so far (had it a couple of weeks). It's got all the standard Windows Mobile 6 functionality, along with touchscreen capability. It's basically Sprint's answer to the iPhone.

DBO82
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I have Alltel so my choices are a bit limited compared to some. I don't see that the blackberry pearl is offered but I may be missing it.

Wow...its not on the website.

They have it in a retail store in Iola, Ks.....weird

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:34 PM

I found it and YES you were right, the Pearl is a bit smaller than the Q. Its about a 1/2 inch narrower and 1/2 inch shorter but a tenth of an inch thicker. You win. lol :) From the comparisons I saw the Pearl may be more of what I am looking for AND its about the same price from Alltel. Thanks for the suggestion.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM

For what it's worth, I have a good friend that lives in Iola Ks.

patteeu
12-28-2007, 06:49 PM
I found it and YES you were right, the Pearl is a bit smaller than the Q. Its about a 1/2 inch narrower and 1/2 inch shorter but a tenth of an inch thicker. You win. lol :) From the comparisons I saw the Pearl may be more of what I am looking for AND its about the same price from Alltel. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have the Pearl, but a friend of mine has it and he loves it. I want one, but I'm too damned cheap to switch phones until my current phone dies.

Buck
12-28-2007, 08:06 PM
I finally ponied up and bought the Verizon Voyager today. Don't know how long it will take to get here though.

Anyone have one of these?

http://mobifun.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/13488_large.jpg
http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/1180/lg-voyager-official-9.jpg

evolve27
12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
If you decide to buy one, I would recommend www.letstalk.com you can get the phone at a discount and get the same plan from your carrier.

BWillie
12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Does this Q9C thing have a REAL freaking keyboard? Not a fake keyboard. Like if I type A, will it come out as an A. My friend has a black berry, and the keyboard has each button with two letters, then on my phone it's just the normal phone keyboard for texting, but I want a real freaking keyboard.

i have an a900, and I have opera.mini on it and it seems to work well. i just can't figure out how to get aim or yahoo on there, so I can't use it unless someone ims me. I sure wish the screen was bigger though.

DBO82
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
For what it's worth, I have a good friend that lives in Iola Ks.

I won't hold that against you.