PDA

View Full Version : Why no big sackers this year?

Direckshun
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Jared Allen is 3rd in the entire NFL with 13.5 sacks -- and is just one sack behind the NFL leader, who has 14.5.

It's conceivable that the season could conclude with nobody over 15 sacks on the year?

Is this an indication that OTs are just getting better, DEs are just getting worse, or what?

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 03:33 PM
JAs sack total is in 13 games.

el borracho
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
The game is slanted in favor of offense.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
There may not be any individuals with huge numbers...I know the Chargers as a team have ridiculous sack numbers.

JBucc
12-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Not a big rushing year either. The NFL's leading rusher could finish under 1500.

Radar Chief
12-28-2007, 03:36 PM
IMO it’s an indication that the refs are letting O linemen get away with more holding because:

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Not a big rushing year either. The NFL's leading rusher could finish under 1500.I noticed that, too.

CupidStunt
12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
One and only reason: The NFL wants more Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys.

With the likes of Mario Williams and Gaines Adams, not to mention a whole host of other young DEs, the league is actually impressive at the position - but the league doesn't want sacks.

Bugeater
12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
You wouldn't know it by watching the Chiefs.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
:banghead:

el borracho
12-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I find them offensive.

talastan
12-28-2007, 03:56 PM

With the likes of Mario Williams and Gaines Adams, not to mention a whole host of other young DEs, the league is actually impressive at the position - but the league doesn't want sacks.
Exactly!! How would DT favor in today's NFL. The League wants the greatest show on turf every game, every Sunday. I agree that the refs are letting O-Line get away with alot more this year. I can't count how many times Allen or Hali should have gotten a sack, but didn't due to the OT wrapping their arms around them or tackling them to the ground. This also makes me wonder how bad our O-Line really is if the refs would've been more strict on holding calls? :shake:

Mr. Plow
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Can we have one.....or two please.

el borracho
12-28-2007, 03:59 PM
IMO it’s an indication that the refs are letting O linemen get away with more holding because:
I would attribute it more to the rules regarding contact down the field. Carter and Hasty used to mug people- there was no way you could throw the ball so the QB would have to take the sack. Now, the CBs can't touch anyone past 5 yards which means receivers are more likely to be open. Might have to do with the new breed of receiving TE, too, bailing out QBs when the other options are covered.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
It took 15 posts for someone to make that joke. We are slacking. Chiefsplanet should rebuild it fanbase...

Delano
12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
I got a big sack.

From Santa? Who gave it to you?

CrazyPhuD
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
:hmmm: Maybe the brokeback mountain has soured the rest of america on the thought of two men on the ground spooning?

Bump
12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I always though 14.5 sacks was pretty good. It's not the record, but still pretty dominating

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
I suspect that it's a result of so many three and outs by the Chiefs.

KCTitus
12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I would attribute it more to the rules regarding contact down the field. Carter and Hasty used to mug people- there was no way you could throw the ball so the QB would have to take the sack. Now, the CBs can't touch anyone past 5 yards which means receivers are more likely to be open. Might have to do with the new breed of receiving TE, too, bailing out QBs when the other options are covered.

I'd say that's half of the equation, or maybe a third...

Also, the rules regarding how one can hit the QB -- too high or low draws a penalty and even some brushes draw penalties, except in cases of KC QB's that are sliding feet first then no penalty flags are warranted.

Next, is the relaxed grounding rules that allow the QB to throw the ball away on pretty much any situation provided they've taken 2-3 steps to their left or right and make it within a few yards of the line of scrimmage.

It's because the NFL has so protected the QB, that they have made it nearly impossible to sack the QB and still, QB's are dropping like flies.