PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited Delivery

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 05:41 PM
So, I'm not looking for legal advice, per se. More along the lines of 'here's how I handled it' or other brainstorming.

Anyway I was awoken this morning by the UPS man. Delivered a parcel. I open it and it's a freaking expensive piece of electronics. Of a type I'm not all that interested in. It's from some shop on the east coast, and there's an invoice with all my particulars for an order made on 12/24/07.

Thing is, I was on the road to KC for X-mas, and except for a quick lap around CP and a check of my e-mail at the top o'the morn, I wasn't online all day. And I've never heard of this company. Had never heard of this particular product until the UPS guy handed it to me. Oh, and aside from having my name, address, and telephone #, they had the order coming from a 'juno' e-mail account, whereas I've never had a juno account of any kind.

Called the credit card company, and they said that there was a pending charge for that amount. But; I couldn't dispute anything until it actually posted, and if I did dispute through them I'd have to return the item [at my expense] first. Even then, they said that they'd be following whatever guidelines the company had for returns and restocking fees.

Needless to say I am not happy with the CC Co. Advising me to return the sole bit of leverage I have in this matter while offering no assurance that they'd protect me in this, on the contrary, stating that merely they 'doubted' I'd get charged for the whole thing anyways.

Thoughts? Anecdotes? Experiences?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 05:43 PM
call the company, tell them you didn't order it, didn't authorize it.

call the cc co. and tell them same. wait till it's posted, tell them you want to issue a "chargeback".

report this as fraudulent.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Keep the penis pump, you know you wanted it. ;)

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
call the company, tell them you didn't order it, didn't authorize it.

call the cc co. and tell them same. wait till it's posted, tell them you want to issue a "chargeback".

report this as fraudulent.
1. I'm reticent to contact the company until necessary, to avoid saying something they'll construe as some kind of concession in later deliberations. If they're sending this unsolicited [or fraudulent, as mentioed] they're already getting the sneak-eye from me anyways, and I'm not inclined to treat them as friendly until I get an indication that they're going to resolve this to my satisfaction.
2. I made the CC note my dispute, even if they couldn't act on it. I will check back to see if it's posted, and at that time mention the 'chargeback' verbiage.
3. report as fraudulent to whom? BBB?

Skip Towne
12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm insulted that you don't want legal advice from the Planet.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Naw, without getting too specific, a 10.1MP SLR digital camera with 135MM telephoto lens, $1500.00.

For a guy whose most expensive camera purchase was his 6.1 MP EasyShare last Black Friday [2006].

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm insulted that you don't want legal advice from the Planet.
I don't reject it, I just didn't want a whole "legal advice? you're a freaking lawyer, dude!!" rigamorole.

Eleazar
12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Sounds like your CC number may have been stolen... I have heard that often what they do is have a package delivered and then try to intercept it before you pick it up.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
1. I'm reticent to contact the company until necessary, to avoid saying something they'll construe as some kind of concession in later deliberations. If they're sending this unsolicited [or fraudulent, as mentioed] they're already getting the sneak-eye from me anyways, and I'm not inclined to treat them as friendly until I get an indication that they're going to resolve this to my satisfaction.
2. I made the CC note my dispute, even if they couldn't act on it. I will check back to see if it's posted, and at that time mention the 'chargeback' verbiage.
3. report as fraudulent to whom? BBB?
report the activity as fraudulent to your cc. tell them you didn't order it, you don't know who did, etc.

more than likely, it's not the compnay that sent you the package. could have been someone who lives nearby who got your card (or a statement) and ordered something, hoping to pick up the package before you did.

google the company's name, see if there are any scam complaints. look up their name with the word scam, see if anything turns up.

anyway, i doubt the compnay is at fault. they likely jsut got the order and sent it where they were supposed to.

good luck!

i'd also call the cc co. and put a fraud alert on your card until you get this taken care of. if someone has your card, you don't want more bills racking up.

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Have you tried e-mailing the juno account to see who it belongs to?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
also do a quick search from the BBB for the compnay.

http://search.bbb.org/

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Have you tried e-mailing the juno account to see who it belongs to?
might be able to contact juno regarding fraudulent charges to a cc that directs to a juno account.

HonestChieffan
12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Contact Attny General...unless your in Kansas, theres quit.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Contact Attny General...unless your in Kansas, theres quit.
last day is monday, ftr.

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Also, it would appear to me that you should keep the camera, contact the company, and tell them, "I'll return the camera once you remove the charges."

The bigger question, though, is how they got your credit card number. I'd be inclined to be friendly to the company, because I'd bet that they're on the up and up and someone else got your credit card number and ordered this thing not knowing that it would be delivered to your billing address. They probably got defrauded just like you did.

The only other possibility is an internal database screwup if you've ordered something from this company before.

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh! Oh! E-mail the juno account and act like you're a sales rep or something from the camera company. Ask them to confirm the delivery address. If you get a message back with an address, there's your crook.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
might be able to contact juno regarding fraudulent charges to a cc that directs to a juno account.
Checking my account online. Stupid marthafocker paid for his Juno acct with my card. Disputing all charges and shutting down card as we speak.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Naw, without getting too specific, a 10.1MP SLR digital camera with 135MM telephoto lens, $1500.00.

For a guy whose most expensive camera purchase was his 6.1 MP EasyShare last Black Friday [2006].

Just busting your chops dude. It's scary that someone got all your personal info so easily. I agree with someone else who said that the biggest mistake was that the camera went to YOUR house and not some other idiots...OR, since it did come to your house I would suspect the company that sent the camera of being crooked. It's probably NOT an "honest" mistake. Make some phone calls to the company that sent it to you and see what happens. The CC company is a crock.

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Post 16, Baby Lee! Post 16!

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Checking my account online. Stupid marthafocker paid for his Juno acct with my card. Disputing all charges and shutting down card as we speak.

Not good.

WilliamTheIrish
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Jesus Tits, BL. That's a nightmare. Keep us posted as to the resolution. I want to know how you were treated by the CC company and the camera vendor.

Good luck.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Just busting your chops dude. It's scary that someone got all your personal info so easily. I agree with someone else who said that the biggest mistake was that the camera went to YOUR house and not some other idiots...OR, since it did come to your house I would suspect the company that sent the camera of being crooked. It's probably NOT an "honest" mistake. Make some phone calls to the company that sent it to you and see what happens. The CC company is a crock.
see, i wouldn't suspect the copmany, because if they were being crooked, wouldn't they just charge the account and NOT send the merchandise?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
sorry about that man.

be sure to contact juno and the compnay and tell them fraud.

i'd be apt to do as suggested above -- e-mail the guy for shipping confirmation.

Mr. Laz
12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Sounds like your CC number may have been stolen... I have heard that often what they do is have a package delivered and then try to intercept it before you pick it up.
yep ..... that's exactly what it sounds like.

report your credit card number as stolen IMMEDIATELY and have it changed.

This might be the first of many such "delivery" thefts.

BigVE
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
see, i wouldn't suspect the copmany, because if they were being crooked, wouldn't they just charge the account and NOT send the merchandise?

I've heard of a-holes doing this so they can STILL charge YOU the restocking fee. OR ,in hopes that you are not really paying attention, just keep the item (usually a bit cheaper than B Lee's) and not deal with it. Crooks.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Because they can run a 'legitimate' source of income insisting that these transactions are proper and returns are not accepted, or at the least insisting on a substantial restocking fee.

Skip Towne
12-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Send them a letter on your company letterhead asking for a postage paid UPS sticker. Directv includes one with every shipment. Besides that everybody likes getting letters from lawyers.

Mr. Laz
i bet he lives near you too so he could pick up the camera.

i would contact the cops or somebody about tracking that guy through his account information like Rainman suggested.

make sure and reject anymore unknown deliveries ... i don't think they can charge you a restocking fee if you don't accept delivery.

Fly O.T. McWall
I've heard of a-holes doing this so they can STILL charge YOU the restocking fee. OR ,in hopes that you are not really paying attention, just keep the item (usually a bit cheaper than B Lee's) and not deal with it. Crooks.
possible, but doubtful.

i'd still look at the bbb report, as well as google their name with "scam". if theyve had problems, it WILL show up. someone will have blogged about it.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
yep ..... that's exactly what it sounds like.

report your credit card number as stolen IMMEDIATELY and have it changed.

This might be the first of many such "delivery" thefts.
They have this, the Juno fee, and one other transaction pending since my last legit purchase [and I check prior statements religiously]. The card # is currently, and for all posterity, dead.

Fly O.T. McWall
i bet he lives near you too so he could pick up the camera.

i would contact the cops or somebody about tracking that guy through his account information like Rainman suggested.

make sure and reject anymore unknown deliveries ... i don't think they can charge you a restocking fee if you don't accept delivery.
this is what i'd suggest is happening. someoen got your cc statement.

Fly O.T. McWall
what's the name of the business that sent the camera?

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a right to accept deliveries from postal carriers to my home without reprisal.

Mr. Laz
12-28-2007, 06:23 PM
They have this, the Juno fee, and one other transaction pending since my last legit purchase [and I check prior statements religiously]. The card # is currently, and for all posterity, dead.
:clap:

sorry to hear man ...... i think someone has been "dumpster diving" and ended up with some of your financial records.

Mr. Laz
12-28-2007, 06:25 PM
I have a right to accept deliveries from postal carriers to my home without reprisal.
i just meant if you reject any UPS or Fedex delivery then they automatically get returned without you having to hassle with anything.

no return shipping, no restocking fee etc

chagrin
12-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Had my card stolen last week, that's my experience. They are crediting all charges to my account.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Had my card stolen last week, that's my experience. They are crediting all charges to my account.
it's because nobody likes you.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM

sorry to hear man ...... i think someone has been "dumpster diving" and ended up with some of your financial records.
Ironically, my parent's 'gifted' me their old crosscut shredder [they bought a newer bigger one for x-mas] yesterday.

Baby Lee
12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
what's the name of the business that sent the camera?
Phat Le
Le Camera
654 Nassau Park Blvd.
Princeton TWP, NJ 08540

DBO82
12-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Strikes me odd that someone would order something with an illegally obtained cc number and have the product shipped to the address of the rightful owner of the cc.

Mr. Laz
12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Strikes me odd that someone would order something with an illegally obtained cc number and have the product shipped to the address of the rightful owner of the cc.
probably because many business are refusing to ship to any address, other than the one on the credit card, without special consent.

Eleazar
12-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Go to the cops, Juno could cooperate with IPs and such.

Someone probably stole out of your mail.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:41 PM
http://newjersey.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=89&bbb=0221&firm=4001796

zero reports. seems the compnay is fine.

whois info:

Registrant:
Le Camera
Phat Le
2781 Brunswick Pike
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
US
Email: phattle@yahoo.com

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: lecameraonline.com

Created on..............: Thu, Aug 11, 2005
Expires on..............: Mon, Aug 11, 2008
Record last updated on..: Thu, Aug 11, 2005

Administrative Contact:
Le Camera
Phat Le
2781 Brunswick Pike
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
US
Phone: 1-609-7718787
Email: phattle@yahoo.com

Technical Contact:
Registercom
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 011-190-27492701
Email: domainregistrar@register.com

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:41 PM
its someone near him. they were ho[ping to pick up the package before babylee got it.

chagrin
12-28-2007, 06:43 PM
it's because nobody likes you.

Lol! Perhaps but someone I don't know also sent me a brand new 4Gb iPod Nano as well, go figure...

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Lol! Perhaps but someone I don't know also sent me a brand new 4Gb iPod Nano as well, go figure...
ROFL

i saw your last post and wondered wtf you were talking about!

Joie
12-28-2007, 08:18 PM
You should also check your credit report and see if any new accounts have been opened in your name. Many department stores will open an account with just a credit card or online. The websites for the credit bureaus are:
www.experian.com
www.transunion.com
www.equifax.com

You are entitled to a free credit report from each bureau once a year. You should also have them put a fraud alert out so that extra precautions have to be taken before any new credit cards can be opened in your name.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 08:20 PM

ROFL

Fly O.T. McWall
12-28-2007, 08:22 PM
www.annualcreditreport.com

it's different than the racket at freecreditreport.com.