PDA

View Full Version : Saving Larry Johnson

Hammock Parties
12-28-2007, 06:02 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/714779.html

What is the tragedy of Kansas City’s 2007 season? Is it the 4-11 record, the wilting of the defense, the complete and total collapse of the offense? Is it the empty seats at Arrowhead Stadium or the bitter end to the winning streak against the Oakland Raiders?

Is it really any of these things?

In truth, it is none of them. The real tragedy is the depressing revelation that Larry Johnson is not immune to history.

Everyone cringed when Johnson was loaded down with 416 carries a year ago, knowing the danger of that history – Jamal Anderson, Eddie George, James Wilder, Eric Dickerson – and what it might mean for LJ's NFL future. There was hope that Johnson might be the exception to the “Curse of 400,” especially after he trained hard with legendary power lifter Joe Carini last offseason and enjoyed a rest while waiting on a new contract.

Sorry, said history. No exceptions. Mr. Hawk is here to break your foot.

Sure, it was a freak injury, but Johnson gained 43 yards in his first game of the year. He limped to 53 in his last game of the year. In between there was just four total touchdowns, a few spiked balls and plenty of missed blocks. The curse lives on.

This is not the Larry Johnson Kansas City had come to know and (occasionally) love. The old Larry Johnson, the one who seemed to roll out of bed and gain 150 yards like it was nothing, has not been seen for almost a year now.

But forget 150-yard games. How about the clutch Larry Johnson who used to save KC’s bacon in the fourth quarter every week? Remember the mad dash to the one-yard line and the goal-line plunge against the Raiders in 2005? Remember the 78-yard screen-and-run against Arizona and the late-game touchdowns against the Raiders (again) and Seahawks in 2006? Remember the 30-yard, fourth-quarter dash and subsequent touchdown against Denver in 2005, capping a 90-yard performance over the final 15 minutes?

After that very game (a 31-27 Chiefs win), Johnson would say, “Everybody, including the media, expects me to fold.”

Well, it finally happened. Johnson looked at his hand and threw the cards down on the table this year, especially late in games. He scored only two touchdowns and averaged only 3.4 yards per carry (which looks really bad when you factor in a stat-padding 37-yard run against San Diego) in the fourth quarter this year. To put it bluntly, Larry Johnson folded just like his foot did against the Packers.

In his place, the Chiefs turned to rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe. It was Bowe who scored the winning touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 3. It was Bowe who hauled in a 58-yard grab on third-and-long against the Oakland Raiders in Week 7, setting up Johnson’s 1-yard touchdown plunge. It was Bowe who put Kansas City ahead against the Chargers in Week 4, scoring from 51 yards out. Just this last week, it was Bowe again, giving fans hope with a 34-yard score late in the game against Detroit.

All told, Dwayne Bowe was Mr. Clutch this year, catching 17 passes for 359 yards and scoring three times in the fourth quarter. No Kansas City Chief gained more combined yards in the final frame in 2007. That used to be Johnson’s role.

So how does Larry Johnson re-capture the magic? Wilder, George, Anderson – none of them really managed to find their way back down the path to gridiron greatness. Only Eric Dickerson (6,291 yards and 35 touchdowns after his encounter with the 400-carry beast) seemed to have some gas left in the tank.

We certainly have no answers, and it’s doubtful Joe Carini can provide anything more, either. You can say Johnson is rested after a low-mileage year, or that he’ll be inspired by Kolby Smith’s success, but none of that will really make a difference. The only thing that can help Johnson now is the 52 players around him.

The Chiefs must assemble a competent offensive line. They must put it to work in tandem with a competent - and experienced – offensive coordinator. They must avoid, at all costs, overworking Larry Johnson again, because there would certainly be no turning back after that.

They must do all of these things, because a franchise running back is a terrible thing to waste. And so is $45 million dollars ($19 million guaranteed).

Mecca
12-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Right now the best you can hope for is that he is just Ok, being a top 5 back is unlikely to ever happen again.

Rain Man
12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
You forgot to mention the flag.

JERICHO
12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
:shake: IF IT WAS UP TO ME, WE WOULD TRADE HIS @SS!!! :shake:
GET SOMETHING OUT OF HIM, WHY WE STILL CAN!!!

snatch
12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Right now the best you can hope for is that he is just Ok, being a top 5 back is unlikely to ever happen again.If we get somewhat of a respectable O-Line you are an idiot. If we stay as is for our O-Line you are 100% Correct.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 06:26 PM
If we get somewhat of a respectable O-Line you are an idiot. If we stay as is for our O-Line you are 100% Correct.

HAHA really? I'm an idiot? Well I'm not the guy that paid an overworked RB a bunch of money or wanted them to for that matter...

That just makes me laugh to think he's even remotely close to a top 5 RB anymore, or will be ever again.

He's been passed by a good number of guys headed by LT and Peterson.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
:shake: IF IT WAS UP TO ME, WE WOULD TRADE HIS @SS!!! :shake:
GET SOMETHING OUT OF HIM, WHY WE STILL CAN!!!Ever heard of the salary cap?

Pablo
12-28-2007, 06:28 PM
If we get a respectable line LJ might have two more 1,500 yard seasons in him. That's a big maybe.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
If we get a respectable line LJ might have two more 1,500 yard seasons in him. That's a big maybe.

Do any backs in the league have 1500 yards this year....

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd be happy to get 1200 out of him next season.

el borracho
12-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Ever heard of the salary cap?
Obviously, JERICHO has a salary caps lock.

blueballs
12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
JAMAL LEWIS

Pablo
12-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Do any backs in the league have 1500 yards this year....LJ played 8 games and ended up with 559 yards rushing. I think we can all agree he was starting to pick up steam during that GB game, and looked kind of like the LJ he was before. I would honestly have expected him to end up with 1,250-1,350 yards by the end of the season behind this horrible line.

As long as Herm is our coach, and we're paying LJ $9 million a year, we're gonna pound the ball a lot. If we get one or two quality linemen this offseason, it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to pin LJ for the 1,500 yard range, maybe less depending on how well Kolby Smith competes in camp.

blueballs
12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
LJ had the D's fear of HUTARD in his favor
and still came up short -he's done

Pablo
12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
LJ had the D's fear of HUTARD in his favor
and still came up short -he's doneYeah..I'm surprised defenses wanted to get so physical up front against us....just knowing we had a hellacious gun-slinger who could beat you with his arm, given the oppurtunity.

BigRock
12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Yahoo! fantasy rankings are already predicting LJ to have a 14+ TD and 1800+ total yard season in 2008. What they're basing that on, I don't know.

el borracho
12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/714779.html

What is the tragedy of Kansas City’s 2007 season? Is it the 4-11 record, the wilting of the defense, the complete and total collapse of the offense? Is it the empty seats at Arrowhead Stadium or the bitter end to the winning streak against the Oakland Raiders?
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:osHrevqaMD-CHM:http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2006/0109/photo/a_edwards_195.jpg

and

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:MV6DCUXzRR6zqM:http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/75435175.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d%3D17A4AD9FDB9CF19309EBFDFE8F65174D06AE4D9BF04E5AF0 284831B75F48EF45

Pablo
12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Yahoo! fantasy rankings are already predicting LJ to have a 14+ TD and 1800+ total yard season in 2008. What they're basing that on, I don't know.Our All-Pro line?

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm ready to watch the Whine & Cheese backfield next year.

HIChief
12-28-2007, 07:36 PM
The pontificators and prognosticators once again overreact. Why, you just need to look at what Fred Taylor has done this year to realize this article about a 400-carry curse is a lot of hooey. Just fix our O-line, and get an offensive coordinator who can draw up a decent and imaginative game plan, and LJ will be off to the races again.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Fred Taylor never carried the ball 400 times.....

I like how the history came true and some people still refuse to acknowledge that you beat a back into the ground you shorten his career by a huge degree.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Yahoo! fantasy rankings are already predicting LJ to have a 14+ TD and 1800+ total yard season in 2008. What they're basing that on, I don't know.

I didn't draft him this year, and I'll never draft him again unless it's as my 3rd or 4th RB.

snatch
12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
HAHA really? I'm an idiot? Well I'm not the guy that paid an overworked RB a bunch of money or wanted them to for that matter...

That just makes me laugh to think he's even remotely close to a top 5 RB anymore, or will be ever again.

Was it stupid to give him the contract he was given? Yes.

If he is put behind a respectable O-Line that can open holes he is still capable of being a dominating RB.

Will he be LT or Peterson? Probably not. But there are not three more than are clearly more dominating than what LJ is capable of.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 07:49 PM
I can give you probably at least 10 RB's that I'd rather have on my team than Larry Johnson right now...

snatch
12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I can give you probably at least 10 RB's that I'd rather have on my team than Larry Johnson right now...As of this day I can think of at least 30. But with a healthy LJ and a good O-line he is a top back. You can not deny that.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Healthy LJ after last year and this year... there's at least 10 that I'd rather have, probably more when I think about it.

Halfcan

yep- does ANYONE think LJ will be anything more than a Cancer??

BigMeatballDave
I can give you probably at least 10 RB's that I'd rather have on my team than Larry Johnson right now...2 of them are in Jacksonville...

Mecca
12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
LT, Peterson, Westbrook, Barber, Lynch, Maroney, McGahee, Portis, Jacobs, Taylor, Jones-Drew, Addai, Gore, Jackson

That's just off the top of my head I could probably name more if I really went through it.

snatch
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
LT, Peterson, Westbrook, Barber, Lynch, Maroney, McGahee, Portis, Jacobs, Taylor, Jones-Drew, Addai, Gore, Jackson

That's just off the top of my head I could probably name more if I really went through it.Look at that. You named all guys who have a good o-line in front of them. They also have coaches that are not morons.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
The Rams oline has been in shambles all year...the 49ers Oline pretty well sucks too...Buffalo's is ok, Baltimore's is pretty blah...

TRR
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Fred Taylor never carried the ball 400 times.....

I like how the history came true and some people still refuse to acknowledge that you beat a back into the ground you shorten his career by a huge degree.

LJ's injury had absolutely ZERO to do with him carrying the ball 400+ times. It would have happened regardless.

The 400+ carry curse is just about as pointless as the Madden curse.

Mecca
12-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Well you can keep telling yourself that but history says any backs that cross that carry plateau will suck, if they don't they are exceptions not rules..

Big difference in the Madden one which is well all coincidence and this one which is due to being overworked and beat down.

snatch
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Well you can keep telling yourself that but history says any backs that cross that carry plateau will suck, if they don't they are exceptions not rules..

Big difference in the Madden one which is well all coincidence and this one which is due to being overworked and beat down.
We will find out more next season since LJ has had plenty of recovery time this season.

I would be more inclined to agree with you on this if he looked like he was suffering from the load the season before but he didn't. He looked as though he had no trust that the people in front of him could keep him from getting killed so he was being extremely hesitant. His injury had nothing to do with work load.

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
if LJ isn't willing to block like he gives a damn - the way Smith does - he can go **** himself...

I don't want anyone on the field who isn't giving 100% every snap.

jidar
12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Man I don't know how this is going to go.
The only thing I know for sure is when I read this line:

The real tragedy is the depressing revelation that Larry Johnson is not immune to history.

I realized it was true. Of all the disappointments I've dealt with this season, that was the biggest, QB problems, 4 wins, all of that I kind of expected, but not the LJ thing.
And now my biggest fear for the Chiefs is that nothing changes next season.

snatch
12-28-2007, 09:57 PM
if LJ isn't willing to block like he gives a damn - the way Smith does - he can go **** himself...

I don't want anyone on the field who isn't giving 100% every snap.LJ's blocking is not as bad as people would like you to believe.

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
LJ's blocking is not as bad as people would like you to believe.

yes, it is...my eyes work fine, thanks...

blueballs
12-28-2007, 09:59 PM
LJ doesn't do for the fans
what Gretz does for Carl
so they want him to **** off

snatch
12-28-2007, 10:02 PM
yes, it is...my eyes work fine, thanks...He does not miss many more blocks that the already enshrined LT. He was never asked to block before he got to the NFL.

louie aguiar
12-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Should have traded him when he was worth something. Everyone (but Carl) seemed to know that investing that much money in a back with that many miles was a terrible investment. Now we're married to Larry Johnson who's probably going to be a shell of himself the rest of his career.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2007, 10:08 PM
LJ's blocking is not as bad as people would like you to believe.

Dude, it's horrible. I watched LJ's blocking every week this year, I captured the game, put it on my PC and STUDIED it every week...there was very few good blocks. ONCE IN A WHILE he would lay a good block, but mostly it was a bunch of oles. The best he could usually do was get in a guy's way for a second.

It actually looks like he's trying. I just don't think he's very good at it.

Easy 6
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Its impossible to say what he's still capable of until a real line is put in place & a real OC is at work.

Until then, EVERYTHING else is crystalline pure guesswork bullshit. If he continues to train hard, my $$$ says he will still be a top 5 back with those things in place.

But none of us will know 'til next year, so quit guessing.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Dude, it's horrible. I watched LJ's blocking every week this year, I captured the game, put it on my PC and STUDIED it every week...there was very few good blocks. ONCE IN A WHILE he would lay a good block, but mostly it was a bunch of oles. The best he could usually do was get in a guy's way for a second.

It actually looks like he's trying. I just don't think he's very good at it.

I don't believe LJ is really hurt-yeah he sprain his foot-but to miss the rest of the year and quit showing up at Arrowhead-QUITTER!

Easy 6
12-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't believe LJ is really hurt-yeah he sprain his foot-but to miss the rest of the year and quit showing up at Arrowhead-QUITTER!

He wanted to play, he was shut down to save him for 08.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
He wanted to play, he was shut down to save him for 08.

ROFL wow like playing a few games would ruin him-even though he did not have to worry about the playoffs or a Probowl and had the WHole summer to recoup.

Larry= Dan Williams

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Can you image LJ throwing those pu$$y blocks with Belicheck on the sideline?

I think Herm needs a much bigger pair of balls.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I think MOST fans Hate LJ and would rather see Smith out there running his ass off and making plays then the Diaper Boys 2 yard phantom fall down runs/throw a temper tantrum and then sit on the bench pouting the whole 4th quarter.

LJ is a heartless pos and I hope he never comes back.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Can you image LJ throwing those pu$$y blocks with Belicheck on the sideline?

I think Herm needs a much bigger pair of balls.

Coach Spock is scared of getting pistol whipped.

blueballs
12-28-2007, 10:28 PM
You're full of shit
but the Spock bit is hilarious

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Coach Spock is scared of getting pistol whipped.

we need that clown-Herm photoshop with a pistol whip photoshop...

BigMeatballDave
LJ's blocking is not as bad as people would like you to believe.In pass-protection, its horrrible.

philfree
How bout saving Gonzo and getting a ring before he retires. Chiefs fans deserve a ring and so does Gonzo.

PhilFree:arrow:

blueballs
12-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Passing on 3rd and 18 is not logical

Miles
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I think MOST fans Hate LJ and would rather see Smith out there running his ass off and making plays then the Diaper Boys 2 yard phantom fall down runs/throw a temper tantrum and then sit on the bench pouting the whole 4th quarter.

LJ is a heartless pos and I hope he never comes back.

I wasn't aware that typing a word in caps gave it an opposite meaning.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Passing on 3rd and 18 is not logical

ROFL Herm=Spock

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Passing on 3rd and 18 is not logicalIn Herms world, balls should not be allowed to travel that distance...

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I wasn't aware that typing a word in caps gave it an opposite meaning.

Only on FRIDAYS-LOL

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:38 PM
In Herms world, balls should not be allowed to travel that distance...

ROFL

blueballs
12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
ROFL Herm=Spock

Herm has the Spock haircut/ears/eyebrows
and the facial expressions-the cocked eyebrow
lost at birth moment

snatch
12-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't believe LJ is really hurt-yeah he sprain his foot-but to miss the rest of the year and quit showing up at Arrowhead-QUITTER!Look... Halfwhit has shown up!!!! I think my 15 month old knows more about football than this moron.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Herm has the Spock haircut/ears/eyebrows
and the facial expressions-the cocked eyebrow
lost at birth moment

The only thing herm lacks is the turtle neck shirt and the brains.

blueballs
12-28-2007, 10:44 PM
The only thing herm lacks is the turtle neck shirt and the brains.

He might use a phaser on Gun from time to time
oh wait - it's just a tazer

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Look... Halfwhit has shown up!!!! I think my 15 month old knows more about football than this moron.

Wow that is some pretty tough Internet smack there.

I guess the Chiefs did come right out from the get go and said he had a broken foot, oh yeah and that was his look alike in practice too.

LJ just does not have the heart to play anymore-its pretty obvious.

snatch
12-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow that is some pretty tough Internet smack there.

I guess the Chiefs did come right out from the get go and said he had a broken foot, oh yeah and that was his look alike in practice too.

LJ just does not have the heart to play anymore-its pretty obvious.You really are clueless aren't you? It was said reported long ago that LJ had a broken foot and was done for the season. The only people who did not say this was the Chiefs organization.

Halfcan
12-28-2007, 11:26 PM
You really are clueless aren't you? It was said reported long ago that LJ had a broken foot and was done for the season. The only people who did not say this was the Chiefs organization.

But he was practicing? Wow on a broken foot even. That is amazing. He probably realized Kolby is twice the RB he is and Then decided it was broken.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2007, 11:57 PM
The pontificators and prognosticators once again overreact. Why, you just need to look at what Fred Taylor has done this year to realize this article about a 400-carry curse is a lot of hooey. Just fix our O-line, and get an offensive coordinator who can draw up a decent and imaginative game plan, and LJ will be off to the races again.

I'm surprised at how difficult of a concept this seems to be around here. The offensive line is absolutely horrible. Inept, and unqualified to be paid what they are. Our offensive coordinator is in his first job and not performing. LJ has a freak accident and it's the curse? If this line doesn't improve, and this playcalling doesn't improve it may go down like that. LJ isn't Barry Sanders. I'll reserve judgment until this time next year. I have a feeling he'll be pretty hungry next year.

booger
12-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Shaving Larry's Johnson?

that's nasty goaste

Hammock Parties
12-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Shaving Larry's Johnson?

that's nasty goaste

lol

I wanted to title it "Saving Private Johnson" but that was a little too gay.

booger
12-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah. People might think he has problems with his privates.

RealSNR
12-29-2007, 02:04 AM
I've seen an attitude from LJ that nobody likes to see this season. He was one of the first ones to quit on this team, I think.

The future doesn't look that great.

HIChief
12-29-2007, 03:20 AM
The 400+ carry curse is just about as pointless as the Madden curse.[/QUOTE]

Word!

To put any credence in the 400+ carry curse would deny all we know about the human body--particuarly a 26 yr old one, and its ability to heal muscle tissue. One season exceeding 400+ carries is nothing.

Even if he didn't ever carry the ball 400+ times, Fred Taylor is old. He's been run ragged and injured in the past, and he still put in a solid season this year.

LJ may not be a good fit for the Chiefs, but he is not and will not be washed up for a long time. Period.

snatch
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
But he was practicing? Wow on a broken foot even. That is amazing. He probably realized Kolby is twice the RB he is and Then decided it was broken.He was not practicing the way all the other players were. He was practicing the way they showed Priest practicing during training camp.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Right now the best you can hope for is that he is just Ok, being a top 5 back is unlikely to ever happen again.

HOW DOES LARRY'S ASS TASTE?

TinyEvel
10-04-2008, 04:26 AM
HOW DOES LARRY'S ASS TASTE?

Ummm, why don't you tell us?

Hammock Parties
10-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Ummm, why don't you tell us?

Magnificent.