PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER: Chiefs coach Edwards’ old team has a new look

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/422308.html

Chiefs coach Edwards’ old team has a new look
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Herm Edwards’ current team, the Chiefs, have 11 losses, and his former team, the New York Jets, have 12. Should he get the blame for 23 defeats, surely a one-season record in any league?

“Put that one on me, too,” Edwards said this week, referring to New York’s pile of losses. “I’ve got big shoulders.”

Edwards actually can’t take any more blame for the mess in New York than Dick Vermeil can for the disarray in Kansas City. The Jets quickly moved on after Edwards jumped from New York to the Chiefs two years ago.

It’s difficult to tell that the Jets, who play the Chiefs on Sunday in East Rutherford, N.J., were coached by Edwards as recently as 2005. Some key players imported by Edwards remain, but otherwise his stamp from five seasons of coaching in New York has quickly disappeared.

“They’re definitely different from when Herm was there,” said offensive tackle Adrian Jones, who was recently released by the Jets and picked up by the Chiefs. “It’s a different offensive coordinator, and he does things differently. He likes a lot of motion and to spread things out. It’s a new defensive coordinator, and it’s a whole new system.”

Edwards’ replacement, Eric Mangini, took the Jets in a different direction from the way they were headed under Edwards, just like Edwards did with the Chiefs to distance himself from Vermeil.

Mangini junked Edwards’ ball-control offense for a more wide-open system. He discarded Edwards’ Cover 2 defensive scheme for a 3-4 look.

Mangini guided the Jets to the playoffs last season, a year after they finished 4-12 in Edwards’ last season. But they collapsed this year and are 3-12.

“I was looking at it in terms of the things that we were trying to do and (not) the things that he brought,” Mangini said. “It’s more of a function of what I was trying to do with the program and how we were trying to move it forward in that direction.”

The Jets reached the playoffs three times in Edwards’ five seasons and won twice in the postseason. But the same factors that anger Chiefs fans — his ultraconservative style, boring football and a four-win season — also riled Jets partisans.

Edwards could get a harsh reception at the Meadowlands today.

“It’ll be interesting,” Jets quarterback Chad Pennington told reporters in New York.

“Probably a mixture. Knowing New York fans, when you’re the opponent, no matter what happens you’re probably going to receive a few boos.”

Edwards will get nothing but love from many of the Jets. Key players such as receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Chris Baker; defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson; linebackers Victor Hobson, Bryan Thomas and Eric Barton; and safety Kerry Rhodes all came to the Jets when they were coached by Edwards.

“A lot of guys on the team I know are going to be excited to see him,” said Cotchery, who leads the Jets with 74 receptions and 1,054 yards.

“I know I will be because he drafted me and I’m very appreciative of him for that because he’s the guy that had a big impact on a lot of guys in this locker room, including myself. We appreciate him for that.”

Edwards went through the Jets’ roster this week and counted familiar names. But when he popped in some Jets video, he didn’t see a familiar team.

“There are about 18 players left,” he said. “Some of them are still playing. A lot of them are still playing, actually. But that philosophy has changed, too. They’re a 3-4 defense now and a spread offense most of the time. They’ve changed quarterbacks, and they’re trying to go with the young guy. They’ve changed, and you knew that was going to happen when (Mangini) walked in there. He’s going to do what he feels comfortable doing.”

FloridaMan88
12-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Mangini junked Edwards’ ball-control offense for a more wide-open system.

I'm jealous

Hammock Parties
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm jealous

New York's offense is just as bad as ours.

blueballs
12-28-2007, 11:20 PM
What a waste of time and effort

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm jealous

Jets are #27 in total offense we are #29. Wow, that would make me really jealous of them.

JohninGpt
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
These poor sports writers are really struggling to write stuff about the Chiefs that people will actually read at this point.
Sucks to be them.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Dewayne Robertson and Kerry Rhodes would look really good in Chiefs uniforms.

12-28-2007, 11:53 PM
They need to pick up Gretz's article and run with that.

greg63
12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
They need to pick up Gretz's article and run with that.

Heh!

dallaschiefsfan
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
To all of Herm's homers:

For those of you that have been especially vocal in saying that Vermeil left this team in shambles with very little talent (the age argument gets lumped in here too)...explain to me where all that great Edwards talent is that Herm left in New York? Where is it? He had five years there. Were they ready for another rebuild after 5 years?

Herm is "marty-lite"...similar to marty...but less filling.

Skip Towne
12-29-2007, 10:29 AM
To all of Herm's homers:

For those of you that have been especially vocal in saying that Vermeil left this team in shambles with very little talent (the age argument gets lumped in here too)...explain to me where all that great Edwards talent is that Herm left in New York? Where is it? He had five years there. Were they ready for another rebuild after 5 years?

Herm is "marty-lite"...similar to marty...but less filling.
Not really. Marty wins.

dallaschiefsfan
12-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Not really. Marty wins.

Exactly my point. Herm's "less filling" Marty-ball includes a more bland offense with fewer points.

milkman
12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Not really. Marty wins.

Except, of course, in the playoffs.

12-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Mangini junked Edwards’ ball-control offense for a more wide-open system.

ROFL

The Jets offense is ''wide open'' now?

LMAO

Calcountry
12-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Exactly my point. Herm's "less filling" Marty-ball includes a more bland offense with fewer points.Both of you stop it, because it automatically brings into mind "tastes great". And neither Marty or Herm leaves anything but bitterness.

FloridaMan88
12-29-2007, 11:29 AM
New York's offense is just as bad as ours.

Once they upgrade their personnel though they'll be in aggressive system that looks to attack early and often.

The Chiefs could upgrade the offensive line and every other position on offense and it will still be the same lifeless R2P2 offense.

dallaschiefsfan
12-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Both of you stop it, because it automatically brings into mind "tastes great". And neither Marty or Herm leaves anything but bitterness.

Yeah...but I was thinking more along the lines of "Natural Lite" in my analogy rather than a fine brew like Shiner or Guiness.

Mecca
12-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Herm left the Jets in a far worse spot than when he took the job....for a coach that is all about "young players" that is a horrible sign.

beach tribe
12-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Yea, Herm is such a great draft guru.
Who are these players he drafted? When? He's had 7 drafts I believe. Who of these picks has more than one pro bowl appearance?

Mecca
12-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes made a pro bowl this year...outside of that, he totally whiffed on Robertson, Vilma was a good pick he's just in a defense not suited for him now.

Herm really isn't as good at drafting as some people might think....

FloridaMan88
12-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes made a pro bowl this year...outside of that, he totally whiffed on Robertson, Vilma was a good pick he's just in a defense not suited for him now.

I think the Jets drafted Santana Moss when Herm was there as well

Mecca
12-29-2007, 02:17 PM

I think that was his first year there. I'm still not sure those few picks make up for picks like Bryan Thomas who was a first rounder that sat the bench.

Skip Towne
12-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Herm left the Jets in a far worse spot than when he took the job....for a coach that is all about "young players" that is a horrible sign.
What does Herm do well? I can't find anything.

FloridaMan88
12-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I think that was his first year there. I'm still not sure those few picks make up for picks like Bryan Thomas who was a first rounder that sat the bench.

No doubt Herm is overrated at the only thing he supposedly does well which is scout talent.

beach tribe
12-29-2007, 02:45 PM
1 pro bowl.

beach tribe
12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
I think Carl has drafted more pro bowlers in the last 7 yrs than Herm. Sad.

ChiefsCountry
12-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Robertson was turning it on until the Jets switched to the 3-4, same thing that hurt Vilma.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2007, 06:41 PM

Well he will come in and fix the defense and not touch the offense /Chiefsplanet True Fans

TEX
12-30-2007, 06:39 AM

He preaches while eating biscuts.

HonestChieffan
12-30-2007, 06:51 AM
These puff pieces are a reminder that soon all we will see is garbage about freaking baseball.