PDA

View Full Version : Report: McFadden's eligibility for Cotton Bowl in question

Eleazar
12-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Little Rock, AR (Sports Network) - Arkansas star running back Darren McFadden's eligibility for the Cotton Bowl on January 1 is reportedly in question as university officials are investigating a compliance issue.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported on Saturday that school officials were looking into a local Little Rock, Arkansas television report earlier in the week that claimed McFadden was in possession of a new sports utility vehicle that agent Mike Conley helped him purchase.

There is also some controversy within the report as KARK-TV Channel 4, the station that originally aired the story, issued an apology on its web site to Conley for poor reporting but did not retract the entire story.

"We have already personally apologized to Mike Conley for our poor standards of reporting," said news director Rob Heverling in the statement. "And we want to publicly apologize to Mr. Conley for any distress he has experienced. And we also want to apologize to Darren McFadden and his family for reporting details of this story that were not accurate. Again we will follow the investigation into any compliance issues McFadden may be dealing with. But it is our job to report the news with accuracy and fairness. And in this case we did not do our job. And we will do better."

NCAA rules forbid student athletes from signing with or having improper contact with an agent and if McFadden did indeed receive assistance from Conley in purchasing a vehicle, he would be ineligible for next week's Cotton Bowl game against Missouri.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette report also stated that the Southeastern Conference was aware of the McFadden story and that the junior's status for the Cotton Bowl will be decided by the University of Arkansas in conjunction with the SEC.

McFadden finished second behind Tim Tebow in the Heisman Trophy voting this year.

McFadden, last year's Heisman runner-up to Troy Smith, has run for 1,725 yards with 15 touchdowns in 12 games. He tied an SEC record with 321 rushing yards in a November 3 game against South Carolina and has averaged 143.8 yards per game -- fourth-best in the nation.

In addition, the junior has 21 receptions for 164 yards with another score, and has also thrown four touchdown passes this season. He was a finalist this year for the Maxwell Award as the nation's top player and won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back, an honor he also took home last year as a sophomore.

Demonpenz
12-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I would be sitting my ass out and waiting to get paid

siberian khatru
12-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I hope he plays. If MU beats a McFadden-less Arkansas, it will taint the win (but I'll take it anyway :D ).

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. If McFadden beats us, so be it.

Bugeater
12-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I suppose it's hard for me to judge since I've never had a winning lottery ticket in my hand waiting to be cashed in, but I just don't understand why these kids can't wait.

RNR
12-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I hope he plays. If MU beats a McFadden-less Arkansas, it will taint the win (but I'll take it anyway :D ).

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. If McFadden beats us, so be it.
FWIW I dont think Arkansas will beat MU with him or without him.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I suppose there's a chance for MU after all.

Mecca
FWIW I dont think Arkansas will beat MU with him or without him.

When you have the best player on the field anything is possible, ask LSU.

Braincase
A McFaddenless Razorback squad with a coach that's been with the team all of two or three weeks? I smell a Mizzou victory!

JBucc
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
It's just shitty reporting by a LR station. It's his step moms car, and someone saw him driving around, somehow brought Mike Conley into it, and KARK reported he got it as a gift to McFadden.

McFadden's father has stated his step mom bought the car six months ago and is letting McFadden drive it some. Conley has stated he hasn't been to Fayetteville in a while and had nothing to do with any Escalade.

The station that originally reported it has since posted an apology on their site for shitty reporting.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
FWIW I dont think Arkansas will beat MU with him or without him.McFadden makes or breaks the game. Without him, Arkansas might as well roll over and take it in the backside, with McFadden, they are probably favorites.

RNR
12-29-2007, 11:58 AM
When you have the best player on the field anything is possible, ask LSU.
True and I dont pull for MU or Arkansas, just see MU winning easy in this game.

Frazod
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM

Yeah, it would also be our one chance to experience what it's like to be a Gayhawk fan, since shit like this has fallen into your laps all year.

Of course, being a man and all, I'd just as soon Missouri played them at full strength.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it would also be our one chance to experience what it's like to be a Gayhawk fan, since shit like this has fallen into your laps all year.

Of course, being a man and all, I'd just as soon Missouri played them at full strength.You're such a man. I'm in envy of your manly characteristics. Please stoop to elementary school tactics and throw "gayhawks" around some more because it's clever and intelligent.

Eleazar
12-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds like this isn't much of a story. I hope he plays so we can beat them at full strength, and watch VT take care of Kansas later to close out the case on the orange bowl farce.

Skip Towne
12-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like this isn't much of a story. I hope he plays so we can beat them at full strength, and watch VT take care of Kansas later to close out the case on the orange bowl farce.
Vermont?

Eleazar
12-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Vermont?

You know... the #3 team that your #8 team is playing next week...

|Zach|
12-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Of course there is a chance. We have beaten a top 40 team.

Third Eye
12-29-2007, 03:38 PM
You're such a man. I'm in envy of your manly characteristics. Please stoop to elementary school tactics and throw "gayhawks" around some more because it's clever and intelligent.
So wait, you take a shot at MU and it is ok. Someone takes a shot at KU and it isn't. :shake:

Pablo
12-29-2007, 03:49 PM
So wait, you take a shot at MU and it is ok. Someone takes a shot at KU and it isn't. :shake:No, the shot doesn't bother me. I didn't use any derogatory language when I insulted MU. I didn't say the MU Queers or anything like that.

kstater
12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
No, the shot doesn't bother me. I didn't use any derogatory language when I insulted MU. I didn't say the MU Queers or anything like that.

MUrons is the term you are looking for. MU Queers just doesn't sound right.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 03:52 PM
MUrons is the term you are looking for. MU Queers just doesn't sound right.Yeah..that's a better term I suppose. But I really don't think Gayhawks or MUrons are clever on either level. When I speak about MU, I'm typically respectful and call them Mizzou or MU, occasionally I throw out the horrendously offensive Tiggers name.

Third Eye
12-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah..that's a better term I suppose. But I really don't think Gayhawks or MUrons are clever on either level. When I speak about MU, I'm typically respectful and call them Mizzou or MU, occasionally I throw out the horrendously offensive Tiggers name.
I hate to say it, but if you don't want to hear locker room language, then stay out of the locker room. CP = internet locker room. It just comes with the territory.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I hate to say it, but if you don't want to hear locker room language, then stay out of the locker room. CP = internet locker room. It just comes with the territory.Yeah, that may be true, but it generally shows a lack of inability to think of anything more original and/or clever.

If I want to criticize MU's program, I can do so in an original, respectful manner.

Or I can say...

MU sucks!!! I hate them, they are phonies, and they're so gay!!

Bob Dole
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah..that's a better term I suppose. But I really don't think Gayhawks or MUrons are clever on either level. When I speak about MU, I'm typically respectful and call them Mizzou or MU, occasionally I throw out the horrendously offensive Tiggers name.

Perhaps because you aren't the typical KUnt.

Brock
12-31-2007, 02:32 PM
If he plays and Arkansas wins, you guys can just put another asterisk next to it. ;)

kstater
12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
If he plays and Arkansas wins, you guys can just put another asterisk next to it. ;)

ROFL

Nice.

Bob Dole
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Bob Dole just drove back home this morning via Little Rock. If the traffic is any indication, it's pretty much going to be an Arkansas home game.

From Conway on in, 1 in 3 cars heading toward Dallas was sporting Razorback flags/decals/magnets, and Bob Dole saw a grand total of 2 cars sporting Mizzou gear.

kstater
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Bob Dole just drove back home this morning via Little Rock. If the traffic is any indication, it's pretty much going to be an Arkansas home game.

From Conway on in, 1 in 3 cars heading toward Dallas was sporting Razorback flags/decals/magnets, and Bob Dole saw a grand total of 2 cars sporting Mizzou gear.

Wouldn't surprise me. Town I live in has been empty for a couple days.

bowener
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
both teams sold out of their tickets, so it should be a fun game to attend, or watch on TV... quite loud at all times I would assume.

Bob Dole
12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
both teams sold out of their tickets, so it should be a fun game to attend, or watch on TV... quite loud at all times I would assume.

A couple of the AR cars actually had signs in the window that they had extra tickets for sale. Bob Dole ain't paying $90+ to sit on an aluminum bench.

Frazod
12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I figure that 3 to 1 ratio will probably be reversed at the Dallas airport.

StcChief
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Still hoping KU get's bitch slapped in Orange bowl farce is right.

Bob Dole
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
I figure that 3 to 1 ratio will probably be reversed at the Dallas airport.

Hope so, but Arkansas travels quite well.

Hell, the state even built a damned highway so they could get to home games easier.