PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on a rifle / shotgun

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
And its not for me but the missus.

She has asked me to look into it so here I am looking into it.

She is looking for something to fire at a range and double as home protection.

Something with a short overall length and "light weight" would be in order.

Lastly, its for the wife... not me, so lets keep it on the cheaper side. lol

Ideas?

Simplex3
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Shoot Carl first.

Skip Towne
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
A .50 caliber machine gun would work well.

SPchief
12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Are you worried that your wife is asking for a gun?

jjchieffan
12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I would think a .38 pistol. Fairly cheap, and good for the range and home protection. Not a lot of kick, so good for a woman.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Ask Gunther_Fan/Kris Kringle about that.

Rain Man
12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Something in pink?

https://www.vangcomp.com/images/pinky-2_50.jpg

Gonzo
12-29-2007, 08:48 PM
.25 Cal pistol or a 20 Ga. Shot gun.
If you are looking at a rifle, a 220 swift or a 25-06.

KCHawg
12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
A9mm Glock, model 19.

Rain Man
12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
You can actually find a pretty good selection of pink weapons.

http://radgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ar15-pink.jpg

http://collateraldamage.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/hk47.jpg

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/pink-gun.jpg

Smed1065
12-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Home protection rules out a rifle, IMO.

Shotgun is not miss in home range.

A handgun with range time is an option.

Skip Towne
12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
One of those Savage over and under .410 shotgun/.22 rifle. Good for both home and the range.

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Side Arms are out. She does not like the recoil on my 9mm because the impact hits her on the hand. She prefers to feel the recoil in her shoulder.

That is what lead me to the rifle / shotty.

I'm leaning towards a .20ga but have no idea on prices and brands. Also.... does anyone know the legal details of overall length requirements in KS?

Fly O.T. McWall
12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Side Arms are out. She does not like the recoil on my 9mm because the impact hits her on the hand. She prefers to feel the recoil in her shoulder.

I'm leaning towards a .20ga but have no idea on prices and brands. Also.... does anyone know the legal details of overall length requirements in KS?
if your looking for home protection and set on a rifle, go with a shotgun. not a lot of aiming involved there.

kstater
12-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I'd go with a 20 gauge then. No rifle is worth the home protection. If she was a hunter it'd be a different story. Nothing beats the sound of a pump action shotgun for home protection.

old_geezer
12-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Go to your local Wal-Mart and check out a Charles Daley 20 ga. youth pump shotgun for the lil lady. Price is around $190; lightweight; short barrel and stock. Great feel and quite reliable. I've considered many times getting one myself to set by the bed at night.

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Go to your local Wal-Mart and check out a Charles Daley 20 ga. youth pump shotgun for the lil lady. Price is around $190; lightweight; short barrel and stock. Great feel and quite reliable. I've considered many times getting one myself to set by the bed at night.

Never thought about a youth long gun! NIIIIIIIIICE

Wichita Wal-Marts have discontinued carrying rifles and long guns. At least the ones on 21st, and Rock Rd.

catfish307
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Good luck with Wal Mart. The local store here did what they're famous for, come in town shut down the local gun store by selling theirs cheaper then when all the gun stores are shut down, good old FU#KIN Wal Mart stops selling guns. F*CK WAL MART!!!

I'd look at a small frame revolver for a woman though.

1ChiefsDan
12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
IMO a rifle/shotgun for home protection is not realistic. I have both - but my .38 is my home protection. Since I have 2 children it isn't loaded, but both my wife and I are exprienced in the speed loaders that I keep with it. I have started taking my oldest girl to the range to learn how to shoot. The youngest isn't going to be far behind. Since there is a gun in the house they need to learn 1. respect and 2. how to use it.

Joie
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Have you considered a .22? Lightweight, easy to handle, not much recoil. She probably wouldn't mind a .22 handgun, either. It's going have much less recoil than a 9mm.

JBucc
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
This seems pretty cool

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=4960

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Have you considered a .22? Lightweight, easy to handle, not much recoil. She probably wouldn't mind a .22 handgun, either. It's going have much less recoil than a 9mm.

A .22 would inflict about as much damage as a bee sting tho.

Brock
12-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Your neighbors will thank you to use a shotgun.

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Shotgun is the way to go. Listen, when she is scared she won't be able to aim, like these guys have suggested. But it will also be important to have large shells when she is shaking and scared.

I would ask around to some of the local guys to find someone you can trust to give you a decent deal. I work for Cabela's so I would normally suggest to go there. The dudes know guns. But unless you are going to be in KC anytime soon, I would try to find someone local you know and can trust. If you don't care the type of gun you get, then you should just go to the nearest store that carries guns and buy a Remington. They are pretty inexpensive with reliable quality if you keep it reasonably clean.

I would suggest a 20 gauge. I shot a rabbit in the face once with a .410 and it didn't kill it so you need something bigger. 20 gauge I think will work out nicely for you. After you get one, be sure to take her out and make sure she is comfortable with it.

Hope the info helps.

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
You can actually find a pretty good selection of pink weapons.

I work for Cabela's auditing stores. Every store has a few pink guns and every time I go, there is some chick looking it over. Cracks me up every time.

"Hello big game, I'm going to waste you in my PINK CAMO with my PINK GUN. Eat that!"

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
This seems pretty cool

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=4960

LMFAO

I just showed her the weapon in that link and her reply was

"No, it looks all Rambo and shit".

VERY nice weapon though! I have to strongly consider it for myself. lol

Smed1065
12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
IMO a rifle/shotgun for home protection is not realistic. I have both - but my .38 is my home protection. Since I have 2 children it isn't loaded, but both my wife and I are exprienced in the speed loaders that I keep with it. I have started taking my oldest girl to the range to learn how to shoot. The youngest isn't going to be far behind. Since there is a gun in the house they need to learn 1. respect and 2. how to use it.

Like a shotgun is ineffective for a newbie?

Even the navy uses them... LOL

Smed1065
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
#1 buck will take out the best buck fiend, even the sight of a methaddict or bugler!

Trust me.

LOL

Seriously.

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Ask Gunther_Fan/Kris Kringle about that.

I was going to say that but now I can't.

Now I'm going to offer a serious suggestion. Have you considered a hand crafted creation? A hand crafted weapon is something in which you can take a lot of pride.

1ChiefsDan
12-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Like a shotgun is ineffective for a newbie?

Even the navy uses them... LOLNot sure what your point is on this one?

I use a shotgun. Just not a good choice to for home protection if you have a family.

Ooops, I hear a noise - let me go and get the shotgun out, load it and see what is happening. I am sure there are a few people who keep them under there pillow, just not many with kids.

I have never been in the Navy so I don't know their home defense courses.

btlook1
12-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Personally if someone was trying to get in my house my shot gun would be the first thing I went for. 2nd choice would be my .22 pistol...might take more than one shot but hey I got 9 shots plus another clip handy!! A 20 for a lady is easily handled especially if she isn't afraid of it and is comfortable using it. However if I had little kids running around when all this was going on I would probably be a little leery of using a gun just make sure you take precautions with whatever you get as kids and safety are no.1!!

BigOlChiefsfan
12-30-2007, 01:29 AM
H&R break-action single shot 20 guage. $70 at any pawnshop, or $120 new. Put an elastic shell holder on the stock, keep 5 rounds of #4 buck in the shellholder. Put a couple of 'coat hooks' above a doorway, wrap them in duct tape over foam, and put the shotgun up above the door. Keep it unloaded if you have kids. Practice shooting and loading asap, you'll be surprised how many shells you can send downrange in a hurry if you're so inclined.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

trndobrd
12-30-2007, 05:10 AM
12ga Mossberg 500 w/ improved cylinder and flashlight attachment. Nothing says "get out of my house" like the sound of chambering that first round in a pump shotgun. A shorter barrel or youth sizing might be appropriate depending on your wife's stature.

She can take off the flashlight and shoot light loads at the range to her heart's content. My wife shoots a 12ga at sporting clays events with no problem. A 12ga isn't an elephant gun, and with proper technique most women can handle the recoil of game loads.

She can keep #3 or #4 buck in it at home. As the old saying goes "When it matters, recoil won't", however she should practice a few times with the defense loads (a good idea for everyone).

If you have kids, you might want a quick access shotgun safe (about half way down)
http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/product-firearms/vline-1.htm

*edit* I should mention that the wife prefers a .357 mag revolver w/ 4" barrel for her nightstand. She started out with .38 rounds until she got comfortable, then went to .357 hollow points. That might be an option if you want her to try a handgun.

HonestChieffan
12-30-2007, 07:26 AM
I work for Cabela's auditing stores. Every store has a few pink guns and every time I go, there is some chick looking it over. Cracks me up every time.

"Hello big game, I'm going to waste you in my PINK CAMO with my PINK GUN. Eat that!"

Whats going on with Cabelas Stock...man its a buy right now.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
This is what you should get her. The Glock 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

Iowanian
12-30-2007, 08:58 AM
If she's looking to learn and hasn't shot much, get her a .22, I'd suggest a Henry Lever action or a marlin bolt action. A Rueger semi-auto is a very good one, but it might make sense to start her on something with less potential for accident.

If she wants a shotgun for shooting clays and home protection.....you can go cheap and get her a single shot for around $100.

I'd get my wife a youth model(shorter stalk) Mossburg model 500 or 870 20 guage if I were buying her a shotgun. Its a pretty reliable gun, smaller and doesn't weigh a ton.

if Home Defense is really your concern....Get her a shotgun. A 20 guage has less recoil and won't be as scary to her, and with Buck shot, it will be effective in the house, without going throuh the wall and killing your neighbor kid.

HonestChieffan
12-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Id buy 5-6 in an assortment. When will you have a clear shot at adding guns to a collection better than this?

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Whats going on with Cabelas Stock...man its a buy right now.

It is currently in the SHITTER. Deal is that Cabela's opened a few stores that didn't do well. Cabela's is a pretty new company so investors don't like it much.

Buy away. Buy a lot. So much that you make the price go up, so my CFO will be happier:).

sparkky
12-30-2007, 11:36 AM
maybe look at a .30 carbine.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
This is good for home protection, as well as neighborhood protection. Plus, it's fun for the whole family!

Bwana
12-30-2007, 12:11 PM

kstater
12-30-2007, 12:14 PM