PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Hobbs, Asanti Samuel, and Brandon Merriweather

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Three quality starting DB's drafting by the Patriots in the last few years yet we can't draft even one :shake:

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 10:26 PM
What the f*ck has Meriweather ever done?

Smed1065
12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
But we have herm...

Reerun_KC
12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Everyone knows how GREAT of a talent evaluator Herm is, We will be okay!

Just look at the talent he left in NYJ...

LMAO

Mecca
12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
His point is still just for the most part even though Meriweather isn't asked to play much...

Samuel and Hobbs are mid round picks that start and play well.

Micjones
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
We'll have a shot at a good Corner in this year's draft class.

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Everyone knows how GREAT of a talent evaluator Herm is, We will be okay!

Just look at the talent he left in NYJ...

LMAO

Yeah, he said there was something like 18 players left on that roster from him. If they were so great, I'd think there would be at least 30 something there still. Its only been 2 years.

BAH! Hopefully Herm can avoid the suckage becuase it seems to me that he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Rasputin
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
But we have herm...

What are you talking about? Herm can develop any young CB from the draft just look what he did with Marcus Maxey.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Merriweather is a solid player, although he is expected to be as I believe he was a 1st rounder.

He is just playing behind better talent at the moment.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Hobbs and Samuel are both very athletic playmakers!

Messier
12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Drafting well in the mid rounds is a crap shoot. Just like the Chiefs getting Allen in the fourth. Do you think that was some brilliant plan to get the best pass rusher later in the draft and fool everyone? Any player taken in the later rounds that turns out to be great is luck.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Drafting well in the mid rounds is a crap shoot. Just like the Chiefs getting Allen in the fourth. Do you think that was some brilliant plan to get the best pass rusher later in the draft and fool everyone? Any player taken in the later rounds that turns out to be great is luck.

Focus on DB's for the purposes of this thread as the attributes that makes a quality starter are different than that of a DE. Primarily athleticism, speed, size, range, and the ability to read the QB and play in space. DB's stand out in college because they work in space and should be easier to evaluate considering their successes and mistakes are out in the open for all to see.

Messier
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Well then getting Benny Sapp as an undrafted free agent should be seen as a good move. He's not starter material, but he's a good player I wish we had more like him, he's quick to the ball, a great tackler with good motor.

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Merriweather is a solid player, although he is expected to be as I believe he was a 1st rounder.

He is just playing behind better talent at the moment.

He rarely sees the field. Complaining about us not drafting someone like him is silly.

crossbow
12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Don't pay attention to what the Pats do. Herm and Carl have it all figured out. Here is how they plan to build a championship team.

1) Give the tailback a cap busting contract.
2) Hire incompetent friends to manage the player evaluation department.
3) Sign some 30 year old Tackles that were never all that good so your QBs can get hammered every game.
4) Get rid of one of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL and hope the line coach can magicaly take his place.
5) Don't resign your all-pro fullback and then announce to the entire NFL that you plan to run the ball all day.
6) Squander your 5th round pick on a kicker so you can cut him after three games.

New England is to be pittied. They scored 38 points against the Giants. Don't they realize that you only do that in Arena football? 21 points is a lot! They should have saved some of those points for later.

StcChief
12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
we have no Org compared to most teams.....

if this doesn't show Clark only NON-RENEWING ST holders will.

Bowser
12-29-2007, 11:21 PM
And the Pats are likely going to end up with James Lauranitis in the draft. It really isn't fair.

Mecca
12-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I expect them to take a corner..Samuel is a FA...

el borracho
12-29-2007, 11:30 PM
"Get over it."

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
I think they will sign Samuel long term. They just wanted to make sure that his stats from last season wasn't a fluke before they gave him a lot of money. He is young and proven. With the age of their LB's they can't afford to be shopping for DB's in the offseason when they have talent in-house.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Well then getting Benny Sapp as an undrafted free agent should be seen as a good move. He's not starter material, but he's a good player I wish we had more like him, he's quick to the ball, a great tackler with good motor.It is a lot easier for me to make a case that NE has the ability to draft quality DB's then for you to make the same case for KC. Good luck with that!

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:43 PM
He rarely sees the field. Complaining about us not drafting someone like him is silly.Don't confuse "complaining" with just stating facts. They have playmakers, we don't. It really is that simple.

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Don't confuse "complaining" with just stating facts. They have playmakers, we don't. It really is that simple.

It is simple and I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. Just that Meriweather doesn't belong in the conversation.

Messier
12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
It is a lot easier for me to make a case that NE has the ability to draft quality DB's then for you to make the same case for KC. Good luck with that!

I don't understand. I'm not saying the Chiefs have done as well drafting DB's but you've made that my stance, thanks.

I'm saying I like Benny Sapp. That's one good player, he wasn't drafted. End of point. Oh and I think Pollard will be good.

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't understand. I'm not saying the Chiefs have done as well drafting DB's but you've made that my stance, thanks.

I'm saying I like Benny Sapp. That's one good player, he wasn't drafted. End of point. Oh and I think Pollard will be good.

Hey, a Pollard guy. I'm up in the air on the kid. Tell me why you think he will be good, if you don't mind.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:50 PM

I'm saying I like Benny Sapp. That's one good player, he wasn't drafted. End of point. Oh and I think Pollard will be good.I would agree that Pollard has a lot of potential and can definately hit. That is an attribute that the NE DB's don't necessarily have. They seem more athletic than physical.

Bowser
12-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Maybe, but their starting linebackers are all over 34 years old (I'm not sure how old Rosevelt Colvin is).

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe, but their starting linebackers are all over 34 years old (I'm not sure how old Rosevelt Colvin is).

Agreed. If they don't win the SB, I'd guess that would be why. Vrabel and Bruschi can't have too much left in the tank.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Agreed. If they don't win the SB, I'd guess that would be why. Vrabel and Bruschi can't have too much left in the tank.
Don't forget Junior Seau. I hate to say it because it has been great watching all three give it their all over the years but they are all showing their age. I thought it was funny tonight when the commentator (Collinsworth I believe) mentioned that you never see them overrun a play. That is because they don't have the speed to overrun a play :)

Rasputin
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey, a Pollard guy. I'm up in the air on the kid. Tell me why you think he will be good, if you don't mind.

I think Pollard had a fairly good season anyways. He made some plays and made some mistakes but he still has upside and is learning the game. Both Pollard and Page called the defensive plays on the field too. I think they both are going to get better with some more seasoning. I think that Law and Surtain were more of the culprets than Page or Pollard, they are the last line of defense but the plays should be disrupted before the safties have too. I'm sure they will come around I have faith in them both.

Spicy McHaggis
12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Well then getting Benny Sapp as an undrafted free agent should be seen as a good move. He's not starter material, but he's a good player I wish we had more like him, he's quick to the ball, a great tackler with good motor.

I'd have cut his ass after his little temper tantrum that game.

Amnorix
12-30-2007, 02:07 AM

Nothing yet, but he's a rookie for chrissakes.

nomad
12-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Is the issue drafting, or could it be coaching too?

KcMizzou
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I'd have cut his ass after his little temper tantrum that game.I said the same, at the time... but I'm glad it didn't happen.

Amnorix
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I think they will sign Samuel long term. They just wanted to make sure that his stats from last season wasn't a fluke before they gave him a lot of money. He is young and proven. With the age of their LB's they can't afford to be shopping for DB's in the offseason when they have talent in-house.

He's look at 20-25 mill guaranteed. I'm not sure the Pats will spring for that for a CB. Historically, Belichick hasn't paid CBs top dollar. We'll see.

Amnorix
12-30-2007, 02:09 AM

31 next year I think. Or else this year.

You've also got Vrabel too old -- he's 32 this year I believe, and AT is 30 this year.

Amnorix
12-30-2007, 02:10 AM

Vrabes is 32 and having a ridiculously terrific season. His gas tank is full.

It's Bruschi and Seau who might be running a bit low. The bye week should do wonders.

Messier
12-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Well, for most of the season I was down on him, but in the last four games or so he's started to be at the right place at the right time. He almost had two INT's last week, and I've noticed him in better positions. I think he's starting to get it.

alanm
12-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Let me try to understand the premise of this thread. Are you complaining that the Patriots have better players than the Chiefs? Well... Yes they do. Are you complaining that the Patriots are better coached? Well.. Yes they are. Are you complaining that the Patriots have better scouting? Well... Yes they do. Are you complaining that the Patriots have a better front office? Well... Yes they do.
So in essence this is just a complaining thread.
OK carry on.

HolmeZz
12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Nothing yet, but he's a rookie for chrissakes.

Yes, so there's no reason for us to be complaining about not having taken a rookie safety like Meriweather who's done absolutely nothing in the league.

mylittlepony
12-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Quiet you are talking about mid round picks, this wont work with the "drafting must start players and needing another 40 odd 1st round picks to get a superbowl" thats being spread around here. To actually have to develope players completly goes against everything the "lets burn this team and get a new one" people are saying. We need more DTs dammit our 07 draft ones are busts. *sigh*

Al Bundy
12-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes, so there's no reason for us to be complaining about not having taken a rookie safety like Meriweather who's done absolutely nothing in the league.
Except for the fact that he would be starting in Kansas City.

HolmeZz
12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Except for the fact that he would be starting in Kansas City.

You mean like Jarrad Page?

banyon
12-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't pay attention to what the Pats do. Herm and Carl have it all figured out. Here is how they plan to build a championship team.

1) Give the tailback a cap busting contract.
2) Hire incompetent friends to manage the player evaluation department.
3) Sign some 30 year old Tackles that were never all that good so your QBs can get hammered every game.
4) Get rid of one of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL and hope the line coach can magicaly take his place.
5) Don't resign your all-pro fullback and then announce to the entire NFL that you plan to run the ball all day.
6) Squander your 5th round pick on a kicker so you can cut him after three games.

New England is to be pittied. They scored 38 points against the Giants. Don't they realize that you only do that in Arena football? 21 points is a lot! They should have saved some of those points for later.

Ouch. I don't think I've ever seen it all put in one place like that. :(

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 11:00 AM

It's Bruschi and Seau who might be running a bit low. The bye week should do wonders.

I understand, but at this point, that is the weakest spot on your team.

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, for most of the season I was down on him, but in the last four games or so he's started to be at the right place at the right time. He almost had two INT's last week, and I've noticed him in better positions. I think he's starting to get it.

Good deal. I have had to listen to the last few games, so it has been tough for me. I hope Pollard gets more time. Some are already calling for his head.

Spicy McHaggis
12-30-2007, 11:16 AM

I like this upcoming draft for LB's quite a bit. I think the Pats could definitely get some very talented young guys to replace Seau and Bruschi eventually.

FRCDFED
12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Let me try to understand the premise of this thread. Are you complaining that the Patriots have better players than the Chiefs? Well... Yes they do. Are you complaining that the Patriots are better coached? Well.. Yes they are. Are you complaining that the Patriots have better scouting? Well... Yes they do. Are you complaining that the Patriots have a better front office? Well... Yes they do.
So in essence this is just a complaining thread.
OK carry on.
Ok thanks! :rolleyes: