PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen contract

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Did I miss Allen signing a contract early in the season? I fully expected him to be signed to a long term deal by mid season following the suspension.

If not, how does everyone see that playing out?

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Carl will probably sign him to a 1yr. tender.

Rain Man
12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Carl doesn't think we should ever make a long-term commitment to anybody. The only long-term commitment the Chiefs have is with Carl, and look how that has turned out.

Braincase
12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Carl will probably sign him to a 1yr. tender.

Franchise...

Simplex3
12-29-2007, 10:45 PM
If Allen is smart he tries to get the hell out.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Carl will probably sign him to a 1yr. tender.I predict:

Carl insults Allen with low ball offer.

Allen says he'll never play for the Chiefs again.

Carl franchises Allen.

Allen misses all of camp and preseason before signing the one-year offer.

:spock: Hold on.............some of this sounds eerily familiar.........

Hammock Parties
12-29-2007, 10:46 PM
The Chiefs will slap the tag on him.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Franchise...That is what I was refering to by the 1 yr. tender offer. Although, there are 2 types of Franchise tags.

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:
An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player.

el borracho
12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I predict:

Carl franchises Allen.

Ed Zachary!

unothadeal
12-29-2007, 11:21 PM
The Chiefs will slap the tag on him.
Then he's gone the year after. Great.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2007, 11:25 PM
not only that but if we had signed him this year we could of used up any extra cap room we didn't use.

now jared will take up 10 million in cap space and Carl will have a perfect excuse not to sign anyone else.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Then he's gone the year after. Great.Not if they sign him to a long term deal sometime during next season. The Franchise tag really is just a way to buy some time to negotiate a longer/larger deal. The Colts did this with Freeney last year, I believe.

Hammock Parties
12-29-2007, 11:27 PM

Not necessarily.

unothadeal
12-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Not if they sign him to a long term deal sometime during next season. The Franchise tag really is just a way to buy some time to negotiate a longer/larger deal. The Colts did this with Freeney last year, I believe.
Yeah, but the tag will probably just piss Jared off further. He wants his money.

el borracho
12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
2008: Tag! You're it!
2009: Tag! You're it!
2010: Tag! You're it!

As long as we are willing to pay, he is ours. We'll fook him just like we did Tony G.

unothadeal
12-29-2007, 11:34 PM
2008: Tag! You're it!
2009: Tag! You're it!
2010: Tag! You're it!

As long as we are willing to pay, he is ours. We'll fook him just like we did Tony G.
I think you can only tag a player once. At least, according to Madden 07.

blueballs
12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
LJ played lights out pissed off
Will Jared get fat and happy also

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:46 PM
I think you can only tag a player once. At least, according to Madden 07.
I believe Seattle tagged Walter Jones in successive years. He actually made out in the deal because he was able to avoid injury. At some point it has to become cost prohibitive though.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 11:48 PM
not only that but if we had signed him this year we could of used up any extra cap room we didn't use.

now jared will take up 10 million in cap space and Carl will have a perfect excuse not to sign anyone else.
That definately woud've been a smart move. I think they had like until week 6 or 7 to sign players and the cap hit would've been this year. You have to wonder what Carl was thinking. Definately a poor management decision.

philfree
12-30-2007, 03:12 AM
I predict:

Carl franchises Allen.

so who was our last franchised tagged player?

PhilFree:arrow:

Kerberos
12-30-2007, 05:30 AM
I believe Seattle tagged Walter Jones in successive years. He actually made out in the deal because he was able to avoid injury. At some point it has to become cost prohibitive though.

Lets not forget the St.Louis Lambs hitting Orlando Pace with the Franchise Tag about 4 years or better in a row.

JimNasium
12-30-2007, 06:27 AM
I realize that I'm in the minority but I'd like to see a sign and trade for the right package of draft picks. This team has too many needs right now.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2007, 07:24 AM
I realize that I'm in the minority but I'd like to see a sign and trade for the right package of draft picks. This team has too many needs right now.I'd do that for a 2nd and a 4th, if we could draft Chris Long.