PDA

View Full Version : Marvin lewis says "blow it up"

Mr. Laz
12-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Marvin Lewis on Bengals: "It's Time to Blow the Whole Thing Up"

Sportz AssassinPosted Dec 29th 2007 10:40AM by Sportz Assassin
Filed under: Bengals, AFC North, NFL Coaching, Cincinnati

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is best known for his smirking news conferences where he dismisses the team's problems as just needing a bit more focus. Well, in a sitdown with the Columbus Dispatch, Lewis is a bit more candid about what the team's problems are (Lewis' comments are the 'A's.

A: Every year is a new year and provides new chal-lenges. They all become the history of the last one. You've got to use it and move forward and move on. It's time for us to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch.

Q: Really?

A: Yeah, because we haven't been good enough. We're not going to sit here and be complacent with it, and guys have to understand that. It hasn't been good enough.

Q: When you say blow it up...

A: We've got to start from scratch. We have to blow it up and empty everything. Just like new people walking in this door and go from there. That's the only way we're going to shake away from the cobwebs. We've established a certain plateau or work ethic and we've got to move beyond that.

Please read the article. While it gets pretty frank up front, Lewis doesn't get into too many specifics. He is asked about Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson and several guys in their contract year ... yet won't discuss them much more than him not knowing the makeup of next year's team.
One thing that did come to the forefront was an apparant jealousy of salaries in the lockerroom:

It's been (that way) all the time. We've struggled with guys who are too much worried about what they make or what the next guy makes. That's hard to overcome, and we've had to deal with it for two years now. Until they get it figured out that that's not the way winning teams operate...

When you sign a contract, you sign a contract. You sign to play. You have two choices -- either to play or not to play. When you get in the way of other people as you are constantly talking about that and not moving on professionally, (it's harmful).

When you sign a contract, the next deal signed after yours makes yours somewhat outdated. That's the way it is.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/29/marvin-lewis-on-bengals-its-time-to-blow-the-whole-thing-up/

Spicy McHaggis
12-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd be pretty critical of Lewis wanting to "blow it up" because a lot of the players are guys that he wanted in that organization. He really has no one to blame but himself.

Skip Towne
Jay Glazer just said the Chiefs are going to blow up their roster and fire 18 players. But they are going to keep Herm and fire some scapegoat coaches to appease the peasants.

L.A. Chieffan
We'll be Ok. Give Carl and Herm about 5 more years, it's only fair

milkman
12-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd be pretty critical of Lewis wanting to "blow it up" because a lot of the players are guys that he wanted in that organization. He really has no one to blame but himself.

Really?

Who did he really want.

I know that there were a couple of "troubled" players drafted that he didn't want, but was overruled by Mike Brown.

Bob Dole
12-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Jay Glazer just said the Chiefs are going to blow up their roster and fire 18 players. But they are going to keep Herm and fire some scapegoat coaches to appease the peasants.

FringeNC
12-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's the order in which things need to be blown up

1) front office
2) coaching staff
3) team

Blowing up the team, and having the players replaced by Carl and Herm, and coached by Herm, is going to accomplish little. Carl and Herm simply lack the necessities to compete with the big boys.

Dave Lane
12-30-2007, 12:18 PM
We'll be Ok. Give Carl and Herm about 5 more days , it's only fair

Fixed your post

Dave

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Figures.

Hammock Parties
12-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Marvin Lewis sucks.

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 12:29 PM
So who does everyone think that the Bengals are going to Fire?

doomy3
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
So who does everyone think that the Bengals are going to Fire?

Hopefully they're tired of Chad Johnson's antics and want to cut him. I would love to take a flier on him. I still wish we would have moved on TO when he was looking for work.

I also think they will cut Rudi and probably most of their defense.

Toad
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM

Do I hear 30?

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I would say Sucko Mucho is out of there.

Hydrae
12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Given the number of injuries and suspensions the Bengals went through this season I would wait another year before dumping the whole thing as a failure. I am actually looking for them to be pretty darned good next season with all of their players back, a decent draft pick this next year and a low divisional final standing resulting in a slightly easier schedule. If they don't win their division next year, they will at least be a wild card team and that is without "blowing up" the team.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Great! We'll give you all of our 7th round picks for Palmer.