PDA

View Full Version : In all honestly, I think the Chiefs have a bit of a nucleus

RedThat
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
And when Im saying that Im referring to a good group of core players.

Tony Gonzalez
Dwayne Bowe
Jared Allen
Brian Waters
Derrick Johnson
Donnie Edwards

And I'll even throw in Larry Johnson, even despite character issues he is still a good football player. If the Chiefs start winning, I don't see him as a problem. Just not the guy you want to drag your car out of a ditch when things go wrong. There are a few LJ's in the league, possibly worse? Randy Moss? T.O? But those guys are amazing on winning teams.

*These are all good football players. But what's missing? A franchise QB. A LT, and a DT. And because we're a cover 2 scheme, I'll even throw in safety..You need an excellent safety and an excellent DT if you want a cover 2 scheme to excel?

But the battle of having that good core of players is half way there. I think QB, LT, DT, DB are the positions the Chiefs should be focusing on.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Are guys over 30 that good teams would be getting ready to replace really part of a nucleus?

Donnie Edwards will have to be replaced in 2 years max.

Donger
"So you're saying there's a chance!"

Coach
Are guys over 30 that good teams would be getting ready to replace really part of a nucleus?

Same thing applies to Brian Waters, me thinks.

KC kid
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Tony Gonzalez
Dwayne Bowe
Jared Allen
Brian Waters
Derrick Johnson
Donnie Edwards

And I'll even throw in Larry Johnson, even despite character issues he is still a good football player. If the Chiefs start winning, I don't see him as a problem. Just not the guy you want to drag your car out of a ditch when things go wrong. There are a few LJ's in the league, possibly worse? Randy Moss? T.O? But those guys are amazing on winning teams.

*These are all good football players. But what's missing? A franchise QB. A LT, and a DT. And because we're a cover 2 scheme, I'll even throw in safety..You need an excellent safety and an excellent DT if you want a cover 2 scheme to excel?

But the battle of having that good core of players is half way there. I think QB, LT, DT, DB are the positions the Chiefs should be focusing on.

The Chiefs have nothing until they have a top ten QB

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
The Chiefs have nothing until they have a top ten QBWhy does it have to be a top 10 QB?

Mecca
12-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Why does it have to be a top 10 QB?

I think that's just a phrase for where we pick this year...but odds say you need a 1st round QB to make the Superbowl.

KC kid
12-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I will go on record saying Ryan or Brohm is an upgrade. I am not a woodson fan

Micjones
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Matt Ryan please and thank you...

RedThat

Well what about the consistency factor. sometimes it isn't all about the age? In fact, you need veteran players on your team. Even the most successful teams that win championships surround themselves with veteran football players.

These guys are older and still playing at a higher level? Gonzalez, Edwards, and Waters are still probowl caliber players.

Eleazar
Bowe
Allen
DJ
Hali
maybe Croyle.

Those are the only players on this roster we can expect to play at a high level ever, or several years from now when we are (with the help of some miracle) ready to complete.

Archie Bunker
12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
The Chiefs have 3 players that I would consider part of a nucleus. That leaves a LOT of work to be done and shows how desperate this team is for young star talent.

Offense
Bowe

Defense
Allen
DJ

I wouldn't consider Gonzalez and Edwards part of it due to age and Waters has been living off reputation for 2 yrs.

Coach
12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I will go on record saying Ryan or Brohm is an upgrade. I am not a woodson fan

And I will go on record that it won't matter who's back there. It WON'T BE AN UPGRADE if the Chiefs cannot UPGRADE their line.

Seriously, I actually don't give a shit who's back there. I don't care if it's Brohm, Woodson, Ryan, Croyle, (insert QB name here) back there. With behind that godf**king awful line, no QB in the world will be successful.

RedThat
12-31-2007, 04:04 PM
"So you're saying there's a chance!"

I just want to be optimistic for a change.

things are dreadful, but, I just want that optimism. It sucks being dreadful?

Can I be optimistic without someone pissing in my cheerios?

cdcox
12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Well what about the consistency factor. sometimes it isn't all about the age? In fact, you need veteran players on your team. Even the most successful teams that win championships surround themselves with veteran football players.

These guys are older and still playing at a higher level? Gonzalez, Edwards, and Waters are still probowl caliber players.

What Mecca is saying is that this isn't a one year re-build. Look for more of the same in '08 even if we make good moves adding good young talent to the roster. So you are really looking at '09 for a decent plyaoff run or '10 as a SB push, assuming we solve the QB problem and we don't make any mis-steps.

So players that are over 30 really aren't part of a core to build on two and three years out. The "core":

Bowe
DJ
Allen

and maybe one or two of the young players that are still developing. We have a loooong way to go.

cdcox
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM

Uh, sorry about that. I have a nice bowl of Lucky Charms I'll give you to make up for your Cherrios.

Coach
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM

Well, there won't be much optimistic next year. I think they're gonna suck pretty bad next year, just like this year.

Simplex3
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Wow. Nobody sees LJ as part of that core?!?!

ROFL

cdcox
12-31-2007, 04:22 PM

ROFL

Do you really see him being a top back in '10? That is about the earliest we'll be able to make a deep playoff run, especially if we are going to build through the draft.

Pablo
12-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I will go on record saying Ryan or Brohm is an upgrade. I am not a woodson fanWatching Woodson right now. Matt Ryan does twice as much with half of the supporting cast. Woodson has about the most akward, slow release I've seen in a while.

Simplex3
12-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Do you really see him being a top back in '10? That is about the earliest we'll be able to make a deep playoff run, especially if we are going to build through the draft.
Sorry, I was being facetious. IMO LJ wouldn't be the core of any team ever.

xbarretx
12-31-2007, 04:30 PM

ROFL

core that need to be traded .. sure im on board

Mecca
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Watching Woodson right now. Matt Ryan does twice as much with half of the supporting cast. Woodson has about the most akward, slow release I've seen in a while.

Ryan is more "ready" Woodson has the highest ceiling, he needs a lot of coaching, he's much more of a project but his natural talent and ceiling is probably the highest of the QB's.

hawkchief
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I was being facetious. IMO LJ wouldn't be the core of any team ever.

Agreed. However, our genius GM just made him the face of our franchise when he backed up Clark Hunt's Brinks truck and paid him a ridiculous amount of money to hang around and rap and be a team cancer.

the Talking Can
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM

Tony Gonzalez
Dwayne Bowe
Jared Allen
Brian Waters
Derrick Johnson
Donnie Edwards

OUT
Edwards and Gonzo are over 30
Waters is declining
----

IN
Allen may not resign
DJ is good, but not great, LB
Bowe is a legit stud

LJ - may or may not ever be dominant again

that's not much to work with...and the most important, and most difficult to fill, positions on the team QB/LT/DT are total blanks...