PDA

View Full Version : Peter King on Priest Holmes

Direckshun
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Had to throw this out there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/30/week17/6.html

5. I think this is my Enlightened and Unselfish Football Player of the Year: Retired Chiefs running back Priest Holmes. He walked off the field for good on Nov. 21 because of a chronic neck injury. We spoke that day, and the conversation began like this: "Have you heard the wonderful news?'' Holmes asked. "I retired,'' he said. Then the Kansas City running back paused, and he started talking about spending more time with his three sons. "It's a gain as much as it is a loss,'' Holmes said. "You never want to walk away from a job that is so much fun. But as much as it's a departure for me, it's an arrival for another player, Kolby Smith, the same way as when I arrived someone else departed. It's not depressing at all. It's life. It's football.''

Why can't they all be like this? Why can't all retirements of guys who need to walk away happen like Holmes made his happen? The 34-year-old running back who squeezed every ounce of ability out of his 5-foot-9 frame, and told himself he'd walk away from the game forever if he ever again felt the same kind of tingling sensations in his shoulders and arms he'd felt in 2005. And when Holmes did feel those same sensations, nine days earlier against Indianapolis, he did what he vowed he'd do. He told coach Herman Edwards, unemotionally, that he was retiring. "The helmet couldn't protect me,'' he said. "I knew it was time. And that's OK. I loved playing. Now I'll love something else.''

Gonzo
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, That type of attitude will be missed. Classy

OnTheWarpath15
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
If unselfish = coming back in the first place for a paycheck, then by all means......

Hootie
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Yawn.

I liked Priest, he was awesome...

But

Yawn...

Archie Bunker
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Whatever his or Carl's motivations were it was damn nice seeing him one last time. It was fun watching that guy run.

OnTheWarpath15
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Whatever his or Carl's motivations were it was damn nice seeing him one last time. It was fun watching that guy run.

QFT.

Extra Point
01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Just needed to write this, and save us all a lot of time:

"...and he started talking about spending more. Period."

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
imo he still came back to save his bonus ...... then bailed after the 1st hard hit.

if they chiefs would of let him practice/play in the preseason he would of quit before the regular season even started.

He needs a hard hit on camera so he could keep the money

Deberg_1990
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
imo he still came back to save his bonus ...... then bailed after the 1st hard hit.

if they chiefs would of let him practice/play in the preseason he would of quit before the regular season even started.

He needs a hard hit on camera so he could keep the money

Pretty much my feelings as well.

It was nice seeing him return for a few games, but utlimately pointless and a typical Carl PR move.

Thig Lyfe
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
It's obvious he likes Kolby more than LJ.

And I'm surprised this wasn't a text message convo.

retired 2b w/ 3 sons - PH

BigRock
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
What paycheck did Priest come back for? The one on the contract that he reworked to the league minimum last year?

Or was it to protect his bonus from the hands of Greedy Carl, who forced well-paid retired players like Willie Roaf and Will Shields to pay back some of the money they'd been given? Oh, wait, that never happened? Sorry, my mistake.

Extra Point
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
PH sure helped our record this year. I see no honor in the distractions this stupid team has inflicted upon itself.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I think the man earned every penny and helped a young kid out. I remember seeing him on the sidelines recording the game and players after he announced his retirement. The dude played his ass off and he gave it a shot on a return. He carried the load and players like LJ could learn from his work ethic. Look at Kolby, he will benefit from what he got from Holmes.

Brock
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Great guy, unlike C*nt Green.

Chiefaholic
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Priest is a perfect example of what a professional athlete should be. He gave 110% on every play and never let his abilities go to his head. If we can draft one guy out of this entire draft remotely close to what Priest was for KC, it'll make this depressing year watching Chiefs football worth it.

kc1977
01-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Great guy, unlike C*nt Green.

Just curious, what do you have against Trent Green? I assume that is who you are referring to. I wasn't a fan originally of getting him, but he did grow on me, and from all indications was a stand up guy. What am I missing?

Easy 6
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Exactly, IMO had it been anything other than a serious neck injury...he would still be able to do damage in the NFL. Even on his crusty legs, you could see that the main ingredients were still there this year...he weaved his way through our junk line quite well at times.

He gave it a helluva try on a potentially DEAD serious injury & what more can i ask???

It was Great while it lasted.